Using replicator technolgy to build ships

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using replicator technolgy to build ships

now that we can build replicators why not use them to build ships much quicker.

we could build a giant replicator blob can just drop resourses in to it and it could make our ships. we would give it a simple programeso it could only do this.

to be safe we could have gatebusters all around it that it does not no about and have a space station in orbit watching it with ARGs on board that can destory it if we need to. also give it a kill switch and a reset programe that resets every week to prevent any unexpected evolution.

could this work???

if it does our ship building industry would onlybe limited by how much resourses we could collect and we could collect a lot of resourses with beaming tech

Or we could make the replicators without the immunity to the Anti Replicator weapons so we could just take them out instantly if they got out of control.
    Robert Jastrow (self-proclaimed agnostic): "For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries."

Comment

Originally posted by Buba uognarf View Post
      Or we could make the replicators without the immunity to the Anti Replicator weapons so we could just take them out instantly if they got out of control.
      i like that lol
      sigpic

Comment

OH...*giggles* yes we could do so many cool things with them: mining ALL the planets,asteroids,EVERYTHING anything , building to a couple of atometres and making Dyson spheres very fast(this is with SG replicator bugs and tech they have a big manufacturing curb), medical problems solved etc.

The only problem is the new age paranoid people think how technology is evil and the producers who think it make good television. Even if you make a machine sentient and capable of change you can still put a basic programs in them like "do what I say" or 'Don't harm (insert)" basically build in a ethical program plus install a failsafe that autodestructs the unit if someone like a guy from a planet that had computer technology less than 30 years tries to screw with the programing , this if he even has a chance in the first place.

Basically anyone who isn't ruled by programer laps of competence and forethought that is so popular on tv now to make the A.I.'s are evil and will rebel, can have a army of metal bugs and super goo. Would you want something like that? I DO!

Comment

The easiest way to make ships is if you have enough energy, use the asgard matter converter and literally beam ships into existence. With enough energy you could have 1000's of oniell ships in a matter of hours or days.
          Well i was bored and decided to make a borg vs stargate sig, so enjoy...btw the explosions and ships look weird i know, its hard to make them blend
          Anime signature in spoiler tag
          Spoiler:
          Here is an anime sig, i was bored so i randomly picked a maid pic and photoshoped it

Comment

Originally posted by jhkplaya888 View Post
            The easiest way to make ships is if you have enough energy, use the asgard matter converter and literally beam ships into existence. With enough energy you could have 1000's of oniell ships in a matter of hours or days.
            Do you mean convert mass into energy? We'd go through ZPMs pretty damn quickly. Also we saw when a Replicator was constructed that it can take a while to make something complex not only that but I expect we'd need much larger beaming 'pads' to accomplish ship building.
            Robert Jastrow (self-proclaimed agnostic): "For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries."

Comment

Do you mean convert mass into energy? We'd go through ZPMs pretty damn quickly. Also we saw when a Replicator was constructed that it can take a while to make something complex not only that but I expect we'd need much larger beaming 'pads' to accomplish ship building.
              Not if you take the 'destroy the solar system' quote on face value if that was true then it could enough energy to make something of the mass of Jupiter up to the mass of the Sun.

Comment

They don't have to use the Asgard beam to convert energy into mass, they can just use it to rearrange matter and it would only cost a fraction of the energy.

However, the fact that the Asgard relocated to a planet rich in neutronium suggests that there are elements that the matter converter cannot create.

Comment

Originally posted by mirdin1992 View Post
                  Not if you take the 'destroy the solar system' quote on face value if that was true then it could enough energy to make something of the mass of Jupiter up to the mass of the Sun.
                  Well I tend to take the planet destroy value for ZPMs, not sure how many ships you could energy convert with that amount of energy.

Comment

Well I tend to take the planet destroy value for ZPMs, not sure how many ships you could energy convert with that amount of energy.
                    With the energy it would take to destroy an earth sized planet, you can make about 2 trillion tons of mass. That's enough to create at least 50,000 O'Neill class ships.

Comment

Originally posted by Giantevilhead View Post
                      With the energy it would take to destroy an earth sized planet, you can make about 2 trillion tons of mass.
                      Ok. In that case a ZPM if used for converting energy to matter could make thousands of ships...

Although as you said its more likely that Asgard transporters would be used to convert raw materials into ships as it would be much more energy efficient.

Comment

With the energy it would take to destroy an earth sized planet, you can make about 2 trillion tons of mass. That's enough to create at least 50,000 O'Neill class ships.
                        And that was a half full ZPMs so 100.000 O'neill class ships.

Edit: I also think it would be easier to conver Matter>Energy>Different matter so if ZPM has enough energy to matter convert something the size of Earth which is 5.98 × 10^24 kg we can make about 299 × 10^15 that is 299 quadrillion O'Neill class ships(note even with a 50%-99.999% margin of error there are still a lot of ships you could make)

Comment

Replicators/ Robots/ AI/ Frankensteinian creatures have it inheritly programmed into their base codes to turn on their creators , become evil and other nasty things.

It's like the First Rule of Sci-Fi.

Unless you're in Azimovian Sci-Fi.

Then only in his later works.

Comment

if our beaming tech is capable of making something so large it would take years to make 1 ship the way we made that replicator and theres no way we could build a computer more powerful than the asgard core

Comment

Originally posted by mickhhh View Post
                              if our beaming tech is capable of making something so large it would take years to make 1 ship the way we made that replicator and theres no way we could build a computer more powerful than the asgard core
                              If you are saying what I think you are saying you have to remember that the asgard core was filling the gaps from the instructions that were on the crystal, the actual replicator was made as fast as the asgard beams work usually and size don't seem to matter either as exampled with Prometheus being able to beam up of a sky scrapper and rematerialize it next the ship in space. going trough the process of scanning(knowing where every particle is so computer power is not an issue) dematerializing it so it can turn matter to energy and rematerializing it at the target point demonstrating it can convert energy to matter and all cases the I can think of with Asgard transporters took the same amount of time and size didn't really matter.

Comment

Working...
                              X