This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ian Douglas and the Legacy trilogy

a couple years ago i picked up a trilogy of books called the Heritage trilogy by an author called Ian Douglas and absolutely loved it, about a year ago i picked up a book called star corp, book one in the legacy trilogy but the same author ian douglas, since then i have tried everythinbg i know of to find any information on forthcomming books in thisn trilogy by this author. i absolutely love this book and does anyone know anyhting about the future of this series or the author? ant help is appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!!!

has amyone else even heard of these books?

Comment

Originally posted by spg_1983
      has amyone else even heard of these books?
      I've never heard of them. What are they about? Can you give some more info? Did you ever hear of the Giants' Triology by James P. Hogan? Inherit the Stars, The Gentle Giants of Ganymede, and Gistar. Excellent books.

Comment

The Heritage Trilogy consists of three books Semper Mars, Luna Marine, and Europa Strike. The basic plot is, its about fifty years into the future, humans have landed on mars and discovered remains of an alien civilization. the story takes place through the eyes of various marines defending the U.S. against the U.N., which has become a tyrannical power, not the U.N. that exists today. there is about ten years between each book, the first takes place on mars, the second on the moon and the third on europa. Now Star Corp is the first book in a new trilogy called the Legacy trilogy. it takes place about 70 years after the last book. humans have now found one of the races of aliens that visited earth and discovered that they have millions of humans as slaves and it is up to the marines to rescue them. they are all an awesome series of books and the technological progression in each is phenomenal, i sugest that anyne that likes good, high tech scifi read these books

Comment

I have read all four books, and have been awaiting the release of the next, but i can't find any infomration from the publisher about it.

Ian Douglas is actually a pen name for William H, Keith Jr.
          http://users.stargate.net/~whkeith/htm/pen.htm

He does not update his site frequently, but theres some info there.

Comment

thanks! its more info than i had! its nice to finally find someone that has read the books. i love the level of detail he goes into with the progression of technology from book to book.

Comment

*random thread bump*

I'm a huge fan of Ian Douglas's books. The Heritage Trilogy rocked! That, my friends, is the proper way to write military scifi.

Book 1 of the Legacy Trilogy (following in the footsteps of the first three) was equally as interesting and I just purchased book 2: Battlespace. I'll probably start reading it as soon as I can get it in my hot little hands.

The way Douglas blends the mythology and technology and the sheer galactic history of everything is just lovely to read. He sketches out enough to make you curious, but doesn't bog it down so much that you lose sight of the story.

I'm particularly keen to read Battlespace since it's gonna deal with the Oannes. Or, at least, it's about a mission to try and find the Oannes. I have a feeling it may be the Hunters, though, and while it probably isn't original, I LOVE the idea of the Hunters of the Dawn- a predatory species bent on wiping out ALL intelligent life, save themselves. None of this silly false worship stuff for them- if you aren't Hunter, you're DEAD.

I wish Stargate's PTB had come up with an idea like that. But then again, given their track record, maybe it's better if they didn't try.

I just finished re-reading Star Corps in prep for the second book. Awesomness, sheer awesomness.

BTW, has anyone read the Bolo books? Not quite on the same level, but still good reads and Keith Laumer is Ian Douglas's real name.
              Last edited by ShadowMaat; 06 March 2006, 11:14 AM.

Comment

I just finished Battlespace myself (I had forgotten all about this thread) and loved it. I will be honest though, it isnt as good as Star Corps and the trilogy isnt shaping up as just purely awesome as the Heritage trilogy, but is still good. I think part of it is that in this book he almost completely glosses over the earth side of the story. A big part of the stories till now has been earth in general, how society has changed and is changing and everything, but this time he almost completely ignores earth. He makes a big deal about the marines returning from fighting the An being almost 20+ years out of date and how they dont fit in anymore, but instead of exploring that a bit he just ships all the marines off again and ignores the changes happening on earth. I won't ruin anything for you but at least at the end of this book there is the potential for more interaction with earth and her far flung forces but I dont know.

Comment

Working...
                X