Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

President Obama inspires Independence Day 2?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

President Obama inspires Independence Day 2?

Hmm....

Link

President Obama Inspired Roland Emmerich to Make Independence Day 2

We've known for a while that Roland Emmerich is readying a sequel to his White House-exploding alien invasion movie Independence Day. What's taken him so long? He was just waiting for the right president to take the Oval Office.

After Independence Day brought us Bill Pullman as the inspirational President Whitmore, Emmerich didn't feel the spirit of the film was compatible with the times of the Bush administration:

"In Independence Day, it was about a king who leads his country into a fight against an outside invader. I didn't want to make that movie during the Bush years. It was not thought that George W. Bush would have made a great king. Now with Obama, it's another story."

The sequel would, in fact, focus on the US President, but it's still plagued by funding woes and disagreements between Emmerich and Fox as to whether to bring back Will Smith. But Emmerich seems determined to return to the universe of what he calls his "defining film."
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

This just smells like a bad idea. Too much time has passed
    Originally posted by aretood2
    Jelgate is right

Comment

Independence Day wasn't even that great in the first place IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
        Hmm....

Link
        Also... you know... the White House is gone in the ID4verse...

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

I'm guessing the plot will be about how Obama manages to pass universal health care, giving free health care to everyone in the universe, and sick aliens come America to get the free treatment. However, the aliens are too sick so Obama's death panels deny them care, and in retaliation the aliens invade earth. In the end, it turns out that Glenn Beck's tears are lethal to the aliens so they launch him into the alien mothership to blow it up.

Comment

Independence Day was a decent movie, but the one thing that annoyed me was that it felt like it was trying to say that america is so great. I'm sure that it wasn't Emmerich's intention, but I just got that feeling from it. Especially during Whitmore speech. *shrugs*

The 4th of July is about as interesting to me as the 6th of june is to you.

I'm not exactly sure how to feel about a sequel, though.

This just smells like a bad idea. Too much time has passed
            Sweden's highest grossing comedy of all time got it's first sequel 25 years after the original was released. Now there's a third coming up this christmas. So you'll never know. However I'll admit that there's a big difference between comedy and science fiction.
            Last edited by EvilSpaceAlien; 07 November 2009, 12:04 PM.
            sigpic

Comment

Awesome another sequel to a movie that shouldn't have one.
              sigpic

Comment

Personally I would love a other movie in the ID universe.

Anyone here think Will Smith will be playing the president role in the film.

Comment

Originally posted by knowles2 View Post
                  Personally I would love a other movie in the ID universe.

Anyone here think Will Smith will be playing the president role in the film.
                  Oh man. I hadn't even thought of that, but after reading Emmerich's comment about Obama inspiring a sequel--it makes a lot of sense.

...I'm not sure I could handle a President Will Smith
                  "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Oh man. I hadn't even thought of that, but after reading Emmerich's comment about Obama inspiring a sequel--it makes a lot of sense.

and suddenly I'm flashing back to Demolition Man with Arnold having become president.

Comment

Originally posted by Replicator Todd View Post
                      Independence Day wasn't even that great in the first place IMO.
                      Personally, I loved it. But yeah, it doesn't need a sequel. They really should leave this movie as is.
                      sigpic
                      MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                      "...phu...ah..."
                      "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                      Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by the fifth man View Post
                        Personally, I loved it. But yeah, it doesn't need a sequel. They really should leave this movie as is.
                        Oh, it was fun to watch, but I have seen it so many times and seen a bigger variation of things since then(I used to be very narrow minded) that it pales to everything else. I give it praise for starring Will Smith, but newer movies like I,Robot, MIB, and I Am Legend erased ID4 form my mind!

Comment

Originally posted by Giantevilhead View Post

I'm guessing the plot will be about how Obama manages to pass universal health care, giving free health care to everyone in the universe, and sick aliens come America to get the free treatment
                          that would be more of a sequel to War of the Worlds :|
                          Last edited by SoulReaver; 08 November 2009, 07:15 PM.

Comment

and what's wrong with a uber-cool president ? now that'd be change

Comment

Originally posted by SoulRe@ver View Post
                              and what's wrong with a uber-cool president ? now that'd be change
                              I'm pretty done with Will Smith in general, to be honest. I'm "aw hell naw"d out.

Comment

Working...
                              X