This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2012: TV spin-off - News/Speculation/Discussion

Roland Emmerich, the director/producer of the apocalyptic film 2012 (opening Nov. 13), confirmed to EW exclusively that a small-screen version of the end-of-the-world movie is already in the works. Emmerich said there was “plenty to do in a TV show” and that 2012 executive producer Mark Gordon – who’s also an exec producer on TV shows like Grey’s Anatomy and Private Practice - would be attached.

“The plan is that it is 2013 and it’s about what happens after the disaster,” Emmerich told EW while walking the red carpet for the 2012 premiere Tuesday. “It is about the resettling of Earth. That is very, very fascinating. (2012 writer/producer) Harald Kloser and I came up with the idea and we have the luxury of having a producer on the film who is a big TV producer, Mark Gordon. We said to Mark, ‘Why don’t you do a TV show that picks up where the movie leaves off and call it 2013?’ I think it will focus on a group of people who survived but not on the boats … maybe they were on a piece of land that was spared or one that became an island in the process of the crust moving. There are so many possibilities of what they could do and I’d be excited to watch it.”

Word in Hollywood is that Gordon has already entered talks with ABC to develop the disaster drama. Though Gordon wouldn’t confirm this, he did tell EW that ABC “will have an opening in their disaster-related programming after Lost ends” (An ABC spokeswoman declined to comment). “I think people would be interested in this topic on a weekly basis,” Gordon said, who also attended Tuesday’s premiere. “There’s hope for the world despite the magnitude of the 2012 disaster as seen in the film. After the movie, there are some people who survive and the question is how will these survivors build a new world and what will it look like. That might make an interesting TV series.”

Added Emmerich, “The movie talks about the varied reactions people have in the face of disaster and who should survive and how we carry on and what parts of our culture do we save. The TV show could carry on all that.”
    http://hollywoodinsider.ew.com/2009/...12-tv-planned/

You've got to be kidding me. Already?

Comment

you know, this is just gonna be Jerico redux

survivors struggling to survive on a planet where the infrastructure they've taken for granted is gone

I'm not dooming it, but I'm not seeing as much of a future as they are. the nitty gritty boring points of survival will soon give way to a rival group and battles and fighting.
      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

^ To be honest, I've never even seen Jericho.

Comment

a post apocalyptic show set post a nuclear 'attack' set in a small kansas town

it only lasted one season but the crux was them spending part of thier time just figuring out what happened, then it went to survival, food, electricity, water, then they brought in rival towns/'petty warlords' types (which, really, is what you'd get, people striving for power and control)

they were jsut ramping up to figuring out how the bombings happened when the show was canned

sigpic

Comment

I really can't believe they are already planning a show.
            sigpic
            MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
            "...phu...ah..."
            "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
            Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

I certainly hope nothing comes of this. I detest the 2012 commercials, especially the one saying "Scientists have confirmed it." Scientists have done no such thing!

http://www.universetoday.com/2009/10...se/#more-42603

I'm sure most people don't believe it, but there are enough out there who do, which I find highly ridiculous. Therefore I wish no success on the movie and no TV show.
              sigpic

Comment

scientists have confirmed taht the mayan calendar ends
                and that nostradamas' quatrains talk abuot 2012
                and there's that asteroid

but that's all that i'm recalling

now they may also have confirmed 'if this calamity happens, this is what it'll look like' (such as a super volcano eruption, etc)

but no one has nor will anyone definitively say 'the world is gonna end.....' cause unless they're planning it, they can't know.

there are a lot of things that COULD happen. another 9 earth quake, california having the 'big' one, Yellowstone erupting, kratatoa erupting, the oceans warming enough that the methane rises to the surface and suffocates us, asteroids, gamma rays, pandemic with 100% fatality....anything COULD happen.

sigpic

Comment

Personally I am always the one who is wondering what happen after the film.
                  independent day is a prime example, all capital cities destroyed, massive world wide destruction, I always been the one who want to see how they rebuild.

I got the feeling it would be the same for 2012, I am happy that they are looking into this, personally I hope we do see some actions on the boats through.

Comment

Originally posted by Amalthea
                    I'm sure most people don't believe it, but there are enough out there who do, which I find highly ridiculous. Therefore I wish no success on the movie and no TV show.
                    People believe what happens in a movie will happen IRL?
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by knowles2 View Post
                      Personally I am always the one who is wondering what happen after the film.
                      independent day is a prime example, all capital cities destroyed, massive world wide destruction, I always been the one who want to see how they rebuild.
                      Me too. This news of a tv show thrills me to no end!
                      sigpic
                      Thanks to Oma-1 for the beautiful banner!

Comment

Originally posted by Betelgeuze View Post
                        People believe what happens in a movie will happen IRL?
                        The movie's plot stems from a very real Mayan calendar where they predicted the world would end in 2012 simply because the calendar ends on that date.

So its not a case of people believing what happens in a movie is going to happen in real life.

Doomsayers have believed it will happen long before a movie was made about it.
                        sigpic
                        Thanks to Oma-1 for the beautiful banner!

Comment

Originally posted by leiasky
                          The movie's plot stems from a very real Mayan calendar where they predicted the world would end in 2012 simply because the calendar ends on that date.

So its not a case of people believing what happens in a movie is going to happen in real life.

Doomsayers have believed it will happen long before a movie was made about it.
                          Astrology

Human stupidity never ceases to amaze me.

I've never cared for disaster movies, and am not interested in watching a tv show. Most disaster movies get the science wrong, but a movie based on astrology has to be an all time low.
                          sigpic

Comment

They have to make the TV show before the year 2012 actually comes, because, it could be really the end of the world!

No seriously, about the 2012 movie at the cinema... When I first heard about it, I thought it was interesting, due to the mayan calandar, etc... But when I saw the trailer, it seemed to me just like an ordinary catastrophe movie.. I haven't seen it yet, I don't know, but I was hoping for some more mystic scenario..

Today on the news, they were talking about the movie coming out (in France), and of course, when they said it was Emmerich, they said "the director of Independence day and The day after tomorrow".
                            It's typical... he's NEVER the director of Stargate. Exactely like when the movie "10,000 BC" came out, it was "from the director of Independence day and The day after tomorrow".. Just shows how the media don't think Stargate is important at all.

Comment

They never mention stargate because they no he will go on an rant about how he had it stolen from him blah blah an how he would of done this an that, an how SG1 ruin his vision before going into a nervous breakdown. An so they do not mention it to him any more, so he can still produce 2012 spectaculars.
                              Last edited by knowles2; 10 November 2009, 05:10 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X