This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

V = Earth Final Conflict

I know that V as an IP and story was around long before EFC, but watching the pilot last night, It seemed almost a parallel to the EFC storyline.

Aliens come claiming piece but with a hidden agenda

Zo'or = Anna (alien leaders keen on using human media and perception for their own benefit)

Companions = Visitors or V's (Cheesy title used for better public relations)

Volunteers = Peace Ambassadors (young Humans employed on the ships and integrated into the alien operations)

Resistance in both
    Both races have been on Earth longer than they first claimed (Taelons during the SI war and Visitors integrating themselves into human societies)

Other common points or thoughts?
    sigpic

The V plot is fairly close to the original mini series aired back in the early 80's, so that would make Earth Final Conflict a copy of it not the other way around.
    sigpic

To see the complete animated picture timeline of the comet landing - http://xkcd1446.org/#7

From the wonderful XKCD site http://xkcd.com/1446/

Comment

Yeah I noticed it too, it seemed to borrow quite heavily from the first couple seasons of EFC. Taelons as Visitors, Zo'or as Anna, Volunteers as Peace Ambassadors, Jonathan Doors as Erica, etc etc. I realize that EFC might've been borrowing heavily from original V, but hey, it seems the trend these days is to accuse every new series of ripping off the most recent series to do things so....clearly it was ripping off EFC

I liked it though.
      "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

It has terrorists, therefore it's a BSG ripoff.
        (disclaimer: this comment is not original, I borrowed the idea from... I think it was a scifi stream comment? I'm fairly certain it wasn't meant seriously that time either )
        "Most people who are watching TV are semi-catatonic. They're not fully alive." - U.S. District Court Judge Timothy Batten Sr.
        Ronald Greer is also a medic. Your argument is invalid.
        Originally posted by J-Whitt Remastered
        Secondly, I think that everything DigiFluid is good.
        Sandcastle Builder: The game of XKCD: Time

Comment

Originally posted by Eternal Density View Post
          It has terrorists, therefore it's a BSG ripoff.
          No no, that means it's ripping off Caprica. Close though.
          "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Everything in EFC ripped off the original V which was as good (IMHO) as the new show is.

Comment

I have never seen Earth Final conflict, so I dunno...

Comment

the idea of 'invading force coming in 'peace' but lying is as old as time

how about the Trojan Horse?

I saw EFC and yeah, it 'borrowed' V's premise.

and then there was the show with, oh what were they called? the bald aliens with patterns on their heads? George who was a cop???? anyway, based on the premise of aliens coming to earth as refugees and co-existing even though both sides had their agendas (alien nation was the show)

And i'm sure there are Twilight Zone or Outer Limit episodes that have the same premise, 'visitors' to our planet that lie to us and have an agenda

the idea is as old as the idea that there could be aliens out there
                Last edited by Skydiver; 04 November 2009, 06:11 PM.
                Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                  and then there was the show with, oh what were they called? the bald aliens with patterns on their heads? George who was a cop???? anyway, based on the premise of aliens coming to earth as refugees and co-existing even though both sides had their agendas
                  Alien Nation?

And yes I agree with what the rest of you said. I was being satirical

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                    And i'm sure there are Twilight Zone or Outer Limit episodes that have the same premise, 'visitors' to our planet that lie to us and have an agenda

the idea is as old as the idea that there could be aliens out there
                    Their is a short story (later made into a Twilight Zone episode) from the 1950's called To Serve Man. This pig like aliens come to earth, offer unlimited energy source, great things etc. Some suspicous people get a hold of one of their books and translate the title into 'To Serve Man'. After more work they get the beginning translated
                    Spoiler:
                    It's a cookbook
                    sigpic

To see the complete animated picture timeline of the comet landing - http://xkcd1446.org/#7

From the wonderful XKCD site http://xkcd.com/1446/

Comment

Actually, Roddenberry wrote up a manuscript for what would become EFC, entitled "Battleground: Earth" back in the mid to late 70s. It wasn't found by his wife until the 90s and later adapted into a successful show. Here is a link to some information regarding it:http://www.alanistic.co.uk/efc/Legacy.htm

The modern V series is a remake of the original 80s series of the title.

In Earth Final Conflict, there were churches used as the "Church of the Companions" with Taelon greetings during services.

Anyone here wanting to talk about V or Earth Final Conflict, feel free to PM me. For EFC, Season 1 was by far the best, and many others here would likely agree with this.

I did actually forget to watch the premiere of the V remake, so I'm relying on clips here and there and synopsis to get caught up. It will be on Hulu on Saturday, so anyone in the U.S. can watch it then.

In the case of EFC, as for a human resistance, they did not reveal themselves until years after the contact. A prominent billionaire businessman, Jonathan Doors, staged his own death to head underground to lead the Liberation. He later briefly hijacked a transmission of the World Bowl to announce the existence of the Liberation movement.

Anyone wanting to talk more about V or Earth: Final Conflict are welcome to PM me about it.
                      Last edited by ussrelativity; 05 November 2009, 01:27 AM.

Comment

Distrust/betrayal by newcomers is a long running and common plot point. whether it be aliens or more earth bound invaders.

substitute the Eurpoeans for V and Natives for Earthers, and you have the 'conquest' of the new world. The invaders didn't have the locals on the menu, but you can be sure that some of the natives were more htan a little distrustful of the 'benevolent' invaders

A lot of it can go back to 'if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is'
                        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

"Flash back to the two scifi geeks in the pilot"
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Archaeis View Post
                            I know that V as an IP and story was around long before EFC, but watching the pilot last night, It seemed almost a parallel to the EFC storyline.

Aliens come claiming piece but with a hidden agenda

Zo'or = Anna (alien leaders keen on using human media and perception for their own benefit)

Companions = Visitors or V's (Cheesy title used for better public relations)

Volunteers = Peace Ambassadors (young Humans employed on the ships and integrated into the alien operations)

Resistance in both
                            Both races have been on Earth longer than they first claimed (Taelons during the SI war and Visitors integrating themselves into human societies)

Other common points or thoughts?
                            Hate to spoil the series for you, but the Visitors are out to suck Earth dry and harvest us all for food. In the case of EFC, the Talons were dealing with larger issues - the extinction of their race due to the diminishment of Core Energy and the war with the Duridians. The Talons may have been using Earth, but not neccessarily with the intent of wiping it out. Subtle, but major difference.
                            The Stargate Character Facebook/Twitter Status Page

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=69210

Comment

Actually does that depends on which plots they were using, I am pretty sure some of there plans involve the uses of humans which would probably eventually ended up in our extinction.

As the series went on the Taelons got more an more radical with there approaches to there goals, which was to find a new force of energy an eventually a army to fight the duridians.

An if it was not for the fact that when they arrive at earth they were already loosing the war with the duridians they probably would of took the conquer approach and enslave us for there war aims as they did to other species. They already did this to the human protecting them.

As to the resistance I think V will borrow heavily here, they certainly need time for them to gather resources an a group of fighters together. Plus as of yet there is no targets for them to hit. Keeping quiet an building up a network of allies, safe houses and weapons depose, an research labs should be there first priority.

But personally if I was the FBI person I would be looking for someone who already have experience of setting up a resistance organisation. She has access to every major terrorist cell out there, there got to be one or two of them which could be useful for the cause.

I am hoping the resistance stays relevantly quiet for these next few episodes.

I am also hoping that the government themselves actually reveals that they are not completely taken in by the V, like it eluded to in EFC, cannot remember if it was ever fully explored but I know the US government created secret group to discovered the Taelons agenda an they also said to have bases across the US.

I just been downloading the episodes again of EFC. Looking forward to having a chance to rewatch them.

Always wanted to discover what they got up to after they left in the mother ship at the end of season 5.
                              Last edited by knowles2; 06 November 2009, 12:42 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X