X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gattaca TV adaptation - News/Speculation/Discussion

Denis Leary adapting 'Gattaca' for TV?

Denis Leary's Apostle Films recently acquired the rights to 1997 sci-fi film Gattaca for a TV adaptation.

The company plans to develop the property as an hour-long crime series set in the future, reports Variety. NCIS writer/producer Gil Grant has been tapped to pen the project, which is being developed through Sony TV's international division.

The film version of Gattaca was directed by Andrew Niccol and starred Ethan Hawke as a genetically inferior man living in a world where genetic engineering of humans is common.

The movie co-starred Jude Law, Uma Thurman and Oscar winner Alan Arkin as a homicide detective.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/ustv/new...ca-for-tv.html

...why?
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

I thought the movie was ok, but I don't see this being successful as a TV series. I don't see how they can come up with interesting new storylines each week. Unless they focus on what happens after the conclusion of the movie.
      sigpic

Comment

I'm a big fan of crime drama, I loved Gattaca and I like the idea of a futuristic crime drama. I just don't like NCIS (yet ,as I watched only a few episode). I don't like their tongue in cheek mode. I would prefer if it was, lets say, the guys from Criminal minds working on it.
        Currently watching: Dark Matter, 12 Monkeys, Doctor Who, Under the Dome, The Mentalist, The Messengers, The Last Ship, Elementary, Dominion, The Whispers, Extant, Olympus, Da Vinci's Demons, Vikings

Comment

must say Why to, but not necessary why we need a series base on the film or at least the world envision in the film but why do we need a other police drama.
          Last edited by knowles2; 01 November 2009, 07:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by knowles2 View Post
            must say Why to, but necessary why we need a series of the film but why do we need a other police drama.
            Its simple. 21millions, 14millions 13millions 13millions 11millions (live+SD) Its the rating numbers those show are putting up. Crime drama are some of the most popular scripted show drama. Which I must say makes me quite happy.

http://tvbythenumbers.com/2009/10/27...727#more-31727
            Currently watching: Dark Matter, 12 Monkeys, Doctor Who, Under the Dome, The Mentalist, The Messengers, The Last Ship, Elementary, Dominion, The Whispers, Extant, Olympus, Da Vinci's Demons, Vikings

Comment

Just makes them boring to me.
              Sorry there only so many original murder stories you can come with up until they start to be come very generic, an they have long since past the point of no return with crime drama.

An simply sticking the same thing but in a future simply will not attract the audience. The people who like the 20 odd police dramas a week will not accept the change of setting, as in the future an it will not get anywhere near 17million, in fact it will struggle to get off the ground because scifi will probably not like it enough because it does not have enough scifi in it, the crime drama fans will probably not like it because it outside of there comfort zone an not what they are use to.

An it just remind me what they tried to do in Century City which was a complete flop, an that was basically Boston legal but set in the future. It lasted four episodes an then it was cancelled.
              Last edited by knowles2; 18 December 2010, 05:33 PM.

Comment

I loved the movie, but, I am very unsure how I feel about it becoming a show.
                sigpic
                MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                "...phu...ah..."
                "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

With a futuristic crime drama. They can't expect to be much higher than in the "Fringe" range rating wise. More than that would be a bonus.

Comment

Originally posted by the fifth man View Post
                    I loved the movie, but, I am very unsure how I feel about it becoming a show.
                    The movie did create a interesting world he lives in, with some interesting technologies an science an social issues that could be interesting to explore. I just do not think a cop show is the way to do it.

When same issues could be explored in more interesting an unique ways, than the cop eyes.

I can already guest that the "cop" of the show will be a normal breeding human who have to continually hide his genetic code from the world, an continually prove he better than the genetically engineer programme super cops the rest them are. There bound to be some organisation again genetic engineering, he bound to help them out time to time, while trying not to get caught. An I am sure there will be a case week involving some murderer who cannot hide the body.

Comment

The movie was good, the world it portrayed was frightening in the extreme, but I just can't see this becoming a cop show, anymore than I could see Minority Report as a weekly show with different crimes.

I do think that the time might be right for a show like Roddenberry's Assignment: Earth that never materialized except as a Star Trek episode with the same name.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by knowles2 View Post
                        The movie did create a interesting world he lives in, with some interesting technologies an science an social issues that could be interesting to explore. I just do not think a cop show is the way to do it.

When same issues could be explored in more interesting an unique ways, than the cop eyes.

I can already guest that the "cop" of the show will be a normal breeding human who have to continually hide his genetic code from the world, an continually prove he better than the genetically engineer programme super cops the rest them are. There bound to be some organisation again genetic engineering, he bound to help them out time to time, while trying not to get caught. An I am sure there will be a case week involving some murderer who cannot hide the body.
                        i expect the cop would be Hawke's character's brother right? who sympathises with Invalids because of his brother.

i will watch it. i expect it will takes it's cue from Caprica, with the way the world is, with some futuristic tech, but looks pretty much like our world.
                        Spoiler:
                        Disclaimer:
                        I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
                        Quotes!
                        - "Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson, they will in fact calm up!"
                        - "I hope you like Guinness Sir, I find it a refreshing alternative to... food"
                        - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
                        sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        X