PDA

View Full Version : What a Douche (another rant at Scott)

haloplayer
October 31st, 2009, 02:01 AM
Its that time again to make another rant on the character of Scott. Last time i put him down for his character on the sex issue (see "How Christian of Him" in the "Light" Thread).

After seeing this episode (which was great imo) the character of Scott has been brought down another notch for me.

WHAT WAS HE THINKING?

Leaving his radio off?

He had least had the decadency to leave his radio on when he was having sex with the "broom closet girl".

What if there was an emergency?

This just shows more irresponsibility of Scott.

I would not want a soldier who is not taking his "Duty" seriously and is instead going AWOL while making out with girls.

His mission while on Duty is to be protecting the crew of the Destiny from foreign or domestic enemies and responding to authority, etc, not making out with a girl with the radio off.

It is quite sad that it takes a fellow soldier to knock him to his senses.

IMO he should be demoted or have some kind of punishment given to him.

Im respecting Greer more and more and disliking Scott more and more. Im sure Greer (black bad ass dude) wouldn't be doing something like this.

Im sure real world military members on GateWorld have a problem with this.

Thoughts on this issue (all opinions are welcomed)?

eliteaceman
October 31st, 2009, 02:09 AM
His mission while on Duty is to be protecting the crew of the Destiny "

Not saying i don't agree with you but just wanted to know... when is one "on duty"

They don't know when the ship is going to stop or whent he gates gonna dial... so hes technically always on duty....

There is also the readio power issue..we don't know if they are using the battery charging device yet...

But yeah hes a douch i don't like his character much anymore

haloplayer
October 31st, 2009, 02:23 AM
"

Not saying i don't agree with you but just wanted to know... when is one "on duty"

They don't know when the ship is going to stop or whent he gates gonna dial... so hes technically always on duty....

There is also the readio power issue..we don't know if they are using the battery charging device yet...

But yeah hes a douch i don't like his character much anymore

About the radio power issue. They didn't use the battery charging device in "darkness" because the ship ran out of power, but it has been shown to be able to charge earth tech. However since the ship has been recharged because of the sun im sure they are charging up radio's flashlights, etc, off screen.

So to me that is not an excuse for his behavior.

Infinite-Possibilities
October 31st, 2009, 02:28 AM
Yeah it was annoying. But presumably this is one of the flaws he's going to be living with. It's not like he's the only one. Just the most apparent one. It's not like he has no good qualities either.

Radahldo
October 31st, 2009, 02:32 AM
It just seemed like a mistake he made. I don't like how we have to interpret the scene through James' hostility. That would automatically prejudice the viewer to the situation.
But he immediately showed concern for Young in his very next spoken line. It's not like he's this "douche" or anything.

Infinite-Possibilities
October 31st, 2009, 02:40 AM
Scott is irresponsible. And sometimes inconsiderate. But he's not a mean guy. Young even said he had a good heart.

MattSilver 3k
October 31st, 2009, 02:44 AM
Scott is irresponsible. And sometimes inconsiderate. But he's not a mean guy. Young even said he had a good heart.

Exactly. Dude has flaws, because he's a human. A young guy with a tragic past and all that jazz. Maybe some of his more flawy flaws will be resolved, or some amplified to create a great future arc.

Interesting stuff.

(And, as an aside, can you blame the guy for keeping his radio off? He didn't want to be interrupted, obviously. ;) :P)

The Mighty 6 platoon
October 31st, 2009, 02:55 AM
Its that time again to make another rant on the character of Scott. Last time i put him down for his character on the sex issue (see "How Christian of Him" in the "Light" Thread).

After seeing this episode (which was great imo) the character of Scott has been brought down another notch for me.

WHAT WAS HE THINKING?

Leaving his radio off?

He had least had the decadency to leave his radio on when he was having sex with the "broom closet girl".

This just shows more irresponsibility of Scott.

I would not want a soldier who is not taking his "Duty" seriously and is instead going AWOL while making out with girls.

His mission while on Duty is to be protecting the crew of the Destiny from foreign or domestic enemies and responding to authority, etc, not making out with a girl with the radio off.

It is quite sad that it takes a fellow soldier to knock him to his senses.

IMO he should be demoted or have some kind of punishment given to him.

Im respecting Greer more and more and disliking Scott more and more. Im sure Greer (black bad ass dude) wouldn't be doing something like this.

Thoughts on this issue (all opinions are welcomed)?

Yes because every solider is perfect and infallible. I’m military and I have no problem with his character. People screw up all the time in the military, we are human after all. The point of Lieutenant Scott’s character, in my opinion is that while he is brave he is also someone with a lot of self control issues. I have no problem with that it’s realistic and the writers weren’t setting out to create perfect nice characters you would want to sit down and have a beer with, they wanted people with flaws. Now if you think that every person in the military is completely perfect and never makes a mistake you need a reality check.

Gallienus
October 31st, 2009, 03:04 AM
Actually the point about who's "on" and "off" duty is a good one. We really don't know exactly what the rules of engagement are given the extremely unique situation the "crew" of the Destiny is in. I can understand why Scott might turn off his radio on the one hand, and then on the other it seems like a dereliction of duty. Consider in this latest episode a man arguing for his "Rights." Just what rights does anyone have on this ship really. From a purely technical perspective, everyone on board is living under a hierarchical military dictatorship; and there hasn't been time to establish any kind of rule of law, so to speak.

Scott has his problems, but he's still a good man. Given the situation, I think relatively minor infractions like these aren't likely to cause too much of an uproar. Now, if someone turns off their radio and wanders off and somebody dies, well that's another story entirely. I am of course interested to see where these events lead, we're still just six episodes in and three of those were the pilot.

Commander Zelix
October 31st, 2009, 03:29 AM
The original poster is right. Scott truly think with is.... He's the second in command. He can't leave his radio off under the current Destiny crew predicament. Its totally irresponsible of him. Though its consistent with his character.

spinny magee
October 31st, 2009, 03:38 AM
I don't know why so many people say "OMG OMG THEY WERE HAVING SEX AGAIN"
. They were kissing...it's different you know..I didn't really care on my part about him turning his radio off, irresponsible and stupid now that I think about it.

Encoder
October 31st, 2009, 03:41 AM
Leaving his radio off?

I didn't think much of this thread (ie. just another put down of a character) but I actually agree with you on this.

His position, albeit it one he has inherited, requires more professionalism. He got to this rank not because he's a young idiot, but because he's shown something to his superior officers at some point.

With the situation as it stands, Scott needs to step it up a notch!

:sheppard:

Commander Zelix
October 31st, 2009, 03:45 AM
I must say the original poster is wrong at turning this into a Scott rant. As "sex" seem to be a pretty consistent Scott's flaw. I'm not 100% sure, lets say 98%, but I think its written that way.

pipi
October 31st, 2009, 03:50 AM
He can do whatever he wants being alpha stud and second in command with the colonel ready to drop dead any minute. And since this is supposed to be some what realistic, you take what you get and deal with it. He's still the best available person for the job, he never asked to be placed into that position. People criticise popular characters for not being perfect, but never stop to think what life would be like if that character wasn't even there in the first place, everything would be worst off. Ungrateful sods.

Avenger
October 31st, 2009, 03:51 AM

Seems not since they seem to be of the opinion that military personnel are human too. I don't how you've come to be of the opinion that people in the military are any different than anyone else, but it's not very accurate or realistic.

Is it a problem that Scott didn't have his radio on? Yes. Was it a bad time not to have his radio on? Not really, since there wasn't anything pressing going on. Some one else was able to promptly find him.

Of all the military personnel on Destiny, Spencer is the one who is screwing things up the worst. He's the one that should be taking the most heat.

MediaSavant
October 31st, 2009, 04:25 AM
Yes, Scott is making some mistakes. And he isn't perfect. I think the writers are headed somewhere with it, too. I wouldn't be surprised if eventually it eventually leads to a confrontation with Young.

DigiFluid
October 31st, 2009, 04:35 AM
I don't mind Scott wanting to get laid, I don't even care if he's the Kirk Sexbot of the show; in fact I thought that entire "failed Christian" discussion was ludicrous beyond belief, so I left it entirely.

Now with that said, I really didn't like what he did this week. Turning your radio off when you've already had two life or death crises since you got here? Come on man, at least try to show a little professionalism.

meo3000
October 31st, 2009, 05:16 AM
I have nothing against the actor, if anything hes really good cause i really dont like Scott at all.

James should rat him out to Young so he get demoted or something, as of now, hes the second to worst acting military personnel on the ship, next to the stealing dude. And Chloe should really find herself a new boy toy with less responsibility, even Eli is off limits right now. If it werent for those two, she really wouldnt have any purpose except wasting precious resources.

Even though i knew he wasnt going to die in that crevasse, i was hoping he would, then i realized he was wearing one of the only two working space suit and it would be a shame to lose one.

wargrafix
October 31st, 2009, 09:07 AM
I'm not sure I like the creeping militarization in the episodes. They are actually trampling on people rights in some of the episodes.

Coronach
October 31st, 2009, 09:21 AM

WHAT WAS HE THINKING?

Leaving his radio off?

It's interesting, isn't it? Scott seems like a very good soldier and a kind person in pretty much ever respect. However, we see him both now (and in the past) behaving quite irresponsibly when it comes to sex or romantic entanglements in general.

It almost seems like TPTB might have an interesting arc planned for his character based on instances like this. Nah, couldn't be...

Rac80
October 31st, 2009, 09:24 AM
Every soap MUST have it's handsome and sleezey male character... so smarmy, he oozes accross the floor, but the gals can't reisit him, especially the "sweet" gal.... And SGU has....SCOTT! yep the lounge lizard of the destiny... wonder who will be the next notch on his belt....? stay tuned for more of "as the destiny flies" *cue cheesey music*

Jeff-B
October 31st, 2009, 09:29 AM
I'm not sure I like the creeping militarization in the episodes. They are actually trampling on people rights in some of the episodes.

What are they gonna do about it, sue for extra rations? Wonder if there's any lawyers on board...

missmobius
October 31st, 2009, 09:40 AM
And SGU has....SCOTT! yep the lounge lizard of the destiny... wonder who will be the next notch on his belt....? stay tuned for more of "as the destiny flies" *cue cheesey music*

I'm thinking .......... Riley LOL

No, scratch that, it'll be Kino #321