PDA

View Full Version : Greer's Flamethrower

jsonitsac
October 30th, 2009, 07:05 PM
I wonder what he made that out of? He said he "invented" it, so chances are they didn't bring a flame thrower from Icarus. If he did build it where did he get the gas for it?

Saquist
October 30th, 2009, 07:13 PM
I WONDER what other weapons this boy makes in his spare time.

Pharaoh Atem
October 30th, 2009, 07:13 PM

i fear for rush's life

antcave
October 30th, 2009, 07:24 PM
that part was funny "I can invent things too"

he had some kind of cannister attached to it. Maybe some kind of butane torch

stahscream
October 30th, 2009, 07:30 PM
haha, any other day i would be like "wait wait, how did he really make that thing?" but for some reason Greer just saying "i can invent things too" just made me laugh an accept it as the way it is.

being in the military surely made it easier for him to macgyver (:jack:) a flamethrower...im sure im missing something but isn't it just gas under pressure, a tube, a flame, and a way to regulate the release of the gas to create the flame?

Dark lord me
October 30th, 2009, 07:30 PM
You can make a flmamethrower with a bottle of Axe and a lighter. He took a gas container, an M4 and a pipe. Connect all togather and you havea flamethrower. I was half expecting when they come back for him to be carrying it =)

Replicator Todd
October 30th, 2009, 07:40 PM

A quantum matrix deconstructor and a portable nuke launcher, me thinks.

Briangate78
October 30th, 2009, 07:45 PM
http://i434.photobucket.com/albums/qq67/RoF_Wrestling/1Flamethrower.jpg

The Kid's Love it!!

Saquist
October 30th, 2009, 07:54 PM
{mod snip}.

i fear for rush's life

Well lets assume this last few epi's show Greer isn't quite that unstable, eh....yes, no?

FoolishPleasure
October 30th, 2009, 08:09 PM
Greer has some issues, but he is street smart, and outright intelligent. What a great character!

rlr149
October 30th, 2009, 08:16 PM
Ah so he's a black, McGuyver....wery, wery intewesting....

no swiss army knife.............. maybe more a black BA Baracus........... wait what?!?!:D

" i ain't getting on no kinosled, crazy fool!!"

lordofseas
October 30th, 2009, 08:17 PM
no swiss army knife.............. maybe more a black BA Baracus........... wait what?!?!:D

" i ain't getting on no kinosled, crazy fool!!"

It'd be "foo". :P

garhkal
October 30th, 2009, 08:25 PM
I pity the foo who messes with my boy!

Radahldo
October 30th, 2009, 08:28 PM
He just gets more and more rad by every episode!

leiasky
October 30th, 2009, 10:21 PM
Greer has some issues, but he is street smart, and outright intelligent. What a great character!

I have to agree. I've very much coming around to like him quite a lot.

escyos
October 30th, 2009, 11:17 PM
im pretty sure the packs they brought with them would include alighter and a small gas tank for cooking

Arlan
October 30th, 2009, 11:21 PM
Can of hairspray and a zippo?

Sifr
October 30th, 2009, 11:22 PM
I did wonder why no-one turned to him and called him out on how he can't look more like a psycho for longer than five minutes...? ;)

But slapping a MacGyver'd together 'thrower in five minutes... gotta give the guy some props, he's clearly a secret genius. :cool:

Vapor
October 30th, 2009, 11:28 PM
All I could think of while he was carrying the flamethrower, chasing the creature down the corridors, was Captain Dallas.

"Get outta there, Dallas! YOU'RE GOING THE WRONG WAY!!!"

reddevil18
October 31st, 2009, 03:47 AM
All I could think of while he was carrying the flamethrower, chasing the creature down the corridors, was Captain Dallas.

Which is why I loved that part of the episode. I've been praying for some Alien homage. This was good enough.

thekillman
October 31st, 2009, 05:11 AM
Which is why I loved that part of the episode. I've been praying for some Alien homage. This was good enough.

eli mentioned "creatures bursting out of my belly" IE Aliens.

the flamethrower, well, Greer said, "you're not the only one that can invent stuff".

all he needed was some pipe, a lighter, some gas, some tubing, and a trigger valve.

Ed
October 31st, 2009, 05:48 AM
I've made something like that before on smaller scale i sued the valve off a gas lighter but i image one that size a gas stoves valve would do nicely.
But i think more likely that thing was built out of a primus stove
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F99MCtbGOLk
If he did canalise one of these it would make a lot of sense and would be robust enugh for us to see it regular as any flammable liquid will work

protip if your using butane put the gas above the valve for a bigger flame.

Yes i am a pyromaniac its a gift not an illness.

missmobius
October 31st, 2009, 06:19 AM
that part was funny "I can invent things too"

he had some kind of cannister attached to it. Maybe some kind of butane torch

that was my fave line of the night :)

Jeff-B
October 31st, 2009, 06:52 AM
Definitely showed that he's more than a military tough guy( although even that was enough to make him a great character). He's a military tough guy with enough common sense to know that bullets were useless( as the redshirt found out the hard way) and it didn't take him long to create a useful weapon that would give him an advantage against these things.

Kaiphantom
October 31st, 2009, 08:57 AM
Most boys learn to make flamethrowers when they're young. :P Also potato guns. And other assorted weapons and forts. At least, that's how it was for me growing up. I wonder if that's changed at all now?

TheRandomOne
October 31st, 2009, 09:01 AM
They should lock up Eli & Greer in a room just to see what these guys could come up with when putting their minds together lol

Maddog316
October 31st, 2009, 10:18 AM
It was the writers way of making a mcgyver reference

thekillman
October 31st, 2009, 11:06 AM
nah, Kaiphantom, you're too old. i'm building a coilgun.

thekillman
October 31st, 2009, 11:07 AM
They should lock up Eli & Greer in a room just to see what these guys could come up with when putting their minds together lol

a spacesuit with Kino's, a Flamethrower, a Coilgun, and probably some more cool stuff

DarkAsgard
October 31st, 2009, 01:05 PM
It was the writers way of making a mcgyver reference

I just want to see Greer and O'Neil meet up, and O'Neil goes off saying "That's not how you make a flamethrower, this is how you make a flamethrower"

garhkal
October 31st, 2009, 01:51 PM
its not PC to call a person of colour "boy";)

racism to the very core!

Sorry, i am not PC. I am a mac..:cool::cool:

I think they were going for that vibe, with greer looking up into the ventilation tunnels.

And speaking of those. Did anyone else notice the ladder hole below where he was standing??

spinny magee
October 31st, 2009, 02:08 PM
It looked like he attatched his homemade flamethrower to a shotgun and added a stock to the end.

I wonder what other things he can make? I get the feeling this guy is going to make Einstein look like an amateur :D

Ekras
October 31st, 2009, 03:54 PM

Remote Control Flame-thrower

IcarusAbides
October 31st, 2009, 05:49 PM
Greer's flamethrower is the real Kawoooosh

Vapor
October 31st, 2009, 07:36 PM
Remote Control Flame-thrower

Oh snap! O_O!

rlr149
October 31st, 2009, 07:57 PM
Sorry, i am not PC. I am a mac..:cool::cool:

some poor sod had to be, never mind! you'll be reincarnated as something awesome to make up for it.;)

Encoder
November 1st, 2009, 05:19 AM
Whatever he made it out of, it's ingenuity at it's deadliest :P

:sheppard:

Otarush
November 1st, 2009, 06:14 AM
My first thought upon seeing the flamethrower:

AWESOME, I WANT ONE.

My second?

I LOVE GREER EVEN MORE. ;)

M2W
November 1st, 2009, 11:03 AM
{snip}

And yes, the flamethrower was awesome. :)

I'm thinking that we're going to find Greer is much deeper and ingenious than we thought based on his unstable portrayal in the earlier episodes. I would love if he became one of the more developed characters. I'm worried he and James might end up being made more background and we won't get to know much about them.

IcarusAbides
November 1st, 2009, 11:08 AM
{snip}

And yes, the flamethrower was awesome. :)

I'm thinking that we're going to find Greer is much deeper and ingenious than we thought based on his unstable portrayal in the earlier episodes. I would love if he became one of the more developed characters. I'm worried he and James might end up being made more background and we won't get to know much about them.
It's ok, i understand you viewpoint but it's the sort of thing we don't need spilling over into the forum really.

I really like Greer and i am very hopeful for his character and i'm not at all worried about his character being moved to the background but then it could happen but i'm not going to worry about that while he is busy being awesome.

IcarusAbides
November 1st, 2009, 11:34 AM
{mod snip} this is a thread about how awesome Greer's flamethrower was {mod snip}

Now who thinks we may see more of Greer's flamethrower in upcoming episodes or more of his inventions and what else could he create.

M2W
November 1st, 2009, 11:42 AM
Perhaps more creative weaponry since they're low on ammo?

If my dumb ex could make a tazer out of a disposable camera, I'm sure someone who has already proven himself as much more intelligent could come up with all sorts of things.

I'm getting pretty excited at the possibilities now.

Hmm... editing this post... I was thinking, I bet some type of grenade is a possibility.

M2W
November 1st, 2009, 01:47 PM
But back on subject. Yes, Greer's flamethrower was cool. I get a feeling that the 'techie' solutions in this series are going to be developed by a larger number of people, rather than having a single genius coming up with everything.

This would be more realistic. In reality, I think in a survival situation more people would be stepping forward to share their strengths instead of one man (or woman, in Carter's case) always coming up with the best ideas and saving the day.

I did a Google search trying to think of what other types of weapons Greer could come up with and then just realized how bad that made me look to those who monitor the 'net. Haha! (Yes, I believe it's all totally monitored. Haha!)

IcarusAbides
November 1st, 2009, 03:04 PM
This would be more realistic. In reality, I think in a survival situation more people would be stepping forward to share their strengths instead of one man (or woman, in Carter's case) always coming up with the best ideas and saving the day.

I did a Google search trying to think of what other types of weapons Greer could come up with and then just realized how bad that made me look to those who monitor the 'net. Haha! (Yes, I believe it's all totally monitored. Haha!)
I suppose some sort of trip mine could be in order if they are ever boarded but eli may create a lightsaber knowing him from some ancient turkey carver.

prion
November 1st, 2009, 04:23 PM
Well lets assume this last few epi's show Greer isn't quite that unstable, eh....yes, no?

Well, I'm with TJ, no, don't trust Greer. He's got some kind of issues and he's got weapons...

M2W
November 1st, 2009, 06:44 PM
I suppose some sort of trip mine could be in order if they are ever boarded but eli may create a lightsaber knowing him from some ancient turkey carver.

And turn a kino into a laser shooting practice droid? :)

IcarusAbides
November 1st, 2009, 06:45 PM
It could happen. :D

MattSilver 3k
November 1st, 2009, 07:53 PM

God, if only. Just imagine Eli in Mckay's old karate clothes (As seen in Vengeance), and wearing one of the Dark Asgard helmets and holding a plastic lightsaber ("What do you mean, where did I get a plastic lightsaber? Obviously, someone must've brought it from Icarus Base!") while playing with the Kinodroid.

Skydiver
November 2nd, 2009, 09:38 AM
Ok, nuff bout that choice of words

Let's get talking about the FLAME THROWER...you know, the one that Greer seemed to McGyver out of spare parts in his off hours

let's talk about that please

Iffy
November 2nd, 2009, 09:46 AM
I personally loved the flamethrower. It seemed very handy for herding the wee creatures.

IcarusAbides
November 2nd, 2009, 09:58 AM
I personally loved the flamethrower. It seemed very handy for herding the wee creatures.
Herding them, nice phrase,

TJ: Do they move when you move?
Greer: (fires his flamethrower) They do now.

Loved that scene, his flamethrower is incredible.

Iffy
November 2nd, 2009, 10:01 AM
Herding them, nice phrase,

TJ: Do they move when you move?
Greer: (fires his flamethrower) They do now.

Loved that scene, his flamethrower is incredible.

He most definitely got their attention. Poor creatures were just thirsty.

Lord Hurin
November 2nd, 2009, 10:38 AM
He most definitely got their attention. Poor creatures were just thirsty.

And JUST drinking up all the crew's water. They had to be dealt with quickly and there's nothing like fire to piss off creatures that love water!

Edit: just got off my "probie" status where everything I type needs to be examined before it can be posted! Yay!

Iffy
November 2nd, 2009, 10:41 AM
And JUST drinking up all the crew's water. They had to be dealt with quickly and there's nothing like fire to piss off creatures that love water!

Edit: just got off my "probie" status where everything I type needs to be examined before it can be posted! Yay!

I bet the wee creatures felt the same about those annoying humans. :p

Lord Hurin
November 2nd, 2009, 11:21 AM
I bet the wee creatures felt the same about those annoying humans. :p

Fair enough. Love 'em or hate 'em though, I bet Destiny's impromptu crew will make for more interesting watching than the sand bugs! :cameron:

Iffy
November 2nd, 2009, 11:27 AM
Fair enough. Love 'em or hate 'em though, I bet Destiny's impromptu crew will make for more interesting watching than the sand bugs! :cameron:

I kind of like the sand bugs and Greer's interaction.

BrianD
November 2nd, 2009, 11:30 AM
Greer is a rather interesting character. He's one of the few that have an under tone of humor.

Iffy
November 2nd, 2009, 11:50 AM
Greer is a rather interesting character. He's one of the few that have an under tone of humor.

He's a great character and creative to boot. When he showed up withe flamethrower I just laughed.

jelgate
November 2nd, 2009, 11:55 AM
I actually thing the flamethrower was an important scene. When you have a hothead (like Greer) a sterotypical analysis is that they are not very bright. Given that Greer made a flamethrower says the exact opposite

Iffy
November 2nd, 2009, 12:41 PM
I actually thing the flamethrower was an important scene. When you have a hothead (like Greer) a sterotypical analysis is that they are not very bright. Given that Greer made a flamethrower says the exact opposite

Greer may have a temper and he may let it show, but you can tell he's not dumb, you can see the thought process going on in that head. The gadget just backs up he's not dumb.

KatG
November 2nd, 2009, 04:41 PM
I just spent the last 15-20 minutes sorting through this thread and deleting 26 posts most of them ot arguing about racism. In case any of you have forgotten the topic of the thread it is

"Greer's flamethrower"

Please discuss "Greer's flamethrower" and not racism. If you feel that someone's comments are out of line, then follow the proper procedure. Report the post and allow the moderators to handle the issue, and then continue discussing the topic of "Greer's flamethrower".

Refusal to follow this procedure may result in further moderation and possible restriction of your posting privileges.

Cold Fuzz
November 3rd, 2009, 12:41 AM
Given that Greer MacGyvered a very effective flamethrower, I think we're going to be surprised at some of the things he'll be able to improvise in the future.

If I were stranded on a planet, I would definitely want someone like Greer with me. I personally think that he has enough resourcefulness that he'll be able to get everybody back to the ship Survivorman-style--in the manner of the wonderful Les Stroud. :D

Now given the ongoing food issue with the Destiny, it would be very much within the realm of plausibility that the crew would need to go hunting at some point. Greer must absolutely be part of that away team. I can only imagine all the cool traps he'll be able to setup! :D

Cory Holmes
November 3rd, 2009, 12:53 AM
I'm waiting for Greer and Eli to put their heads together and come up with something that'll just drop jaws all across Destiny (and GateWorld, too!) :D

daedalus91
November 3rd, 2009, 12:08 PM
A quantum matrix deconstructor and a portable nuke launcher, me thinks.

Fatman, Fallout 3. Google it ;)

IcarusAbides
November 3rd, 2009, 12:10 PM
I'm waiting for Greer and Eli to put their heads together and come up with something that'll just drop jaws all across Destiny (and GateWorld, too!) :D
I'm still putting my money on an attempt by eli to make a lightsaber

GateroomGuard
November 3rd, 2009, 12:14 PM

If Eli does Greer will probably stick it on his flamethrower and use it as a bayonet, while on his kino powered hover tank. :cool:

Iffy
November 3rd, 2009, 12:16 PM
If Eli does Greer will probably stick it on his flamethrower and use it as a bayonet, while on his kino powered hover tank. :cool:

Kino powered hover tank :lol:

Maybe Greer needs to jimmy rig the water systems

rlr149
November 3rd, 2009, 08:09 PM
I just spent the last 15-20 minutes sorting through this thread and deleting 26 posts most of them ot arguing about racism. In case any of you have forgotten the topic of the thread it is

"Greer's flamethrower"

Please discuss "Greer's flamethrower" and not racism. If you feel that someone's comments are out of line, then follow the proper procedure. Report the post and allow the moderators to handle the issue, and then continue discussing the topic of "Greer's flamethrower".

Refusal to follow this procedure may result in further moderation and possible restriction of your posting privileges.

ok ed-209, do we have the usual 20 seconds to comply?;)

why is everyone so impressed by a flamethrower?! they're not that difficult to make, greers was just pressurized gas.
can of deodorant and a lighter does that, knew how to do that when i was 10 or something! its not like he created a magnetic accelerator gun!!

Cory Holmes
November 3rd, 2009, 08:30 PM
why is everyone so impressed by a flamethrower?! they're not that difficult to make, greers was just pressurized gas.
can of deodorant and a lighter does that, knew how to do that when i was 10 or something! its not like he created a magnetic accelerator gun!!

Because it's Greer. Everything that man does is made of pure awesome! :cool:

Captain Obvious
November 3rd, 2009, 11:54 PM

The impressive part IMO wasn't necessarily that he made it, but that he made it without having anyone asking about what he was doing with those supplies. It leads me to believe there might be more people Greer has some buddy buddy connection to than we might have previously known.

Either that or everyone is so scared of him that no one had the balls to question what he was doing gathering a few small propane tanks, a quicktorch nozzle and a variable air pressure regulator/pressure switch.

Ed
November 4th, 2009, 02:56 AM

Don't know about you but the ones i made never got the same range and accuracy to the one greer made also they tended to run out quick

Jeff-B
November 4th, 2009, 04:10 AM
They're definitely going to have to improvise whatever weapons they can come up with, because they will run out of bullets eventually. Greer is just getting a head start on it.

rlr149
November 4th, 2009, 06:33 AM
Don't know about you but the ones i made never got the same range and accuracy to the one greer made also they tended to run out quick
agreed, when i was 10 my efforts weren't as good as greers who's probably 15 years my senior........... and has a pretty good reason to make a good one, rather than my need(at the time, some stuff is just cool at that age) to just throw fire about.;)
i also learned after the first 'can' that "short controlled bursts" is the best way to go for fuel conservation with a flamethrower. actual flamethrowers use sticky fuel that keeps the target on fire, and they don't need to keep the flamejet going.

big-boss-91
November 7th, 2009, 05:52 AM
Can of hairspray and a zippo?

the senator's daughter got plenty of hairspray with her

big-boss-91
November 7th, 2009, 05:54 AM

maybe he got a lightsaber app on his iphone that never runs out of power! muhaha

garhkal
November 9th, 2009, 02:55 PM
Na he uses an MP3 player..