PDA

View Full Version : James Reaction

antcave
October 30th, 2009, 06:31 PM
not what i was expecting when she caught scott and chloe. But then again there can't be a future between scott and james.

Pharaoh Atem
October 30th, 2009, 06:52 PM
not what i was expecting when she caught scott and chloe. But then again there can't be a future between scott and james.

why not >???

BriGuy
October 30th, 2009, 06:52 PM
Anything can happen....

j_talyn
October 30th, 2009, 06:53 PM
I thought it was more awkward when James went back to tell Chloe about what happened with Scott. "I just wanted you to know..." why freak her out at that time? probably reading way too much into that scene but that just seemed so weird based on the first interaction they had.

jsonitsac
October 30th, 2009, 06:53 PM
Something tells me that James has sympathy for Chloe. After all, I believe that Scott is taking advantage of her and James knows that. You can't really "steal" a serial philanderer.

Replicator Todd
October 30th, 2009, 06:56 PM
Something tells me that James has sympathy for Chloe. After all, I believe that Scott is taking advantage of her and James knows that. You can't really "steal" a serial philanderer.
:indeed:

antcave
October 30th, 2009, 07:01 PM
true anything can happen.

i think i just felt like i had kinda figured her character out but i guess not, she seems to be a no BS person to some people (Eli) but vulnerable around scott. I dunno, i guess we'll just have to see what happens. I just didn't expect her to go out of her way to tell chloe about scott.

Landers
October 30th, 2009, 07:11 PM
Scott played poor Vanessa, so she probably figures he is using Chloe too and feels sorry for her.

antcave
October 30th, 2009, 07:13 PM
yeha i just thought about that. it just seems in most situations the person thats cheated on is mad at the other person. I did like that she directed her anger/irritation towards scott. She seems to be more mature than him.

MacGyverInSpace
October 30th, 2009, 07:17 PM

These are some great characters, but that post made me really miss an old one... :indeed:

How much more make-up rations are they gonna have?
To save a waste of someones time, lets just say "Enough, plausible"
In second season...they're gonna have to doll it down a bit, though....

the fifth man
October 30th, 2009, 08:07 PM
James reacted well to a very awkward situation IMO.

ckwongau
October 30th, 2009, 08:09 PM
." why freak her out at that time? probably reading way too much into that scene but that just seemed so weird based on the first interaction they had.

I think James was very mature ,sensitive and very professional , if she knew about the situation and not tell Chole, that would make her look immature,jealous and nasty.

And i think James is not too hurt by the way Scott treated her, in the first episode Scott had sex with James and then pretend he didn't know James well.

In a male dominated military , she act tough but she is still a woman with moment of weaknest.

On the other hand i feel sorry for Chole , acting like a school girl in love. And Scott is a good looking heroic guy , but also a man with flaws like any man.
It may work out for them, but it may not work out .And Chole may get hurt.

And i think James will always be fine.

garhkal
October 30th, 2009, 08:20 PM
I was surprised she did not say
"Look, he is already spoken for"..

MattSilver 3k
October 30th, 2009, 08:22 PM
How about James' awkward little smile to Chloe?

That was great, and it could be interpreted in many different ways... she could be sympathetic, she could be pissed/jealous, she could just not have any idea what to think... Anything like that.

Captain Obvious
October 30th, 2009, 08:51 PM
I am starting to think that James is going to have a ton of good character development. She really seems to be the " tough as nails soldier" exterior but hides her feelings behind that to keep from looking "weak".

majorsal
October 30th, 2009, 08:51 PM
I was surprised she did not say
"Look, he is already spoken for"..

How about James' awkward little smile to Chloe?

That was great, and it could be interpreted in many different ways... she could be sympathetic, she could be pissed/jealous, she could just not have any idea what to think... Anything like that.

haven't seen the ep yet (will tomorrow on syfy rewind), but i wouldn't mind vanessa saying 'you can keep him, honey'. :p

captain Qball
October 30th, 2009, 09:01 PM
To me it seemed she was hurt, but acted all prefessional, and even kind toward Chloe. It was nice to see her tell Chloe about Scott's condition, since she under stands that Dhloe cares for him.

I was disappointed that there wasn't a scene with Scott and James about it. She might be mighty pissed at him.

Ashizuri
October 30th, 2009, 09:12 PM
I thought it was a great moment. It could have been played so many ways and honestly, I was expecting typical girl vs. girl cattiness. James showed quite a bit of character here and I'm beginning to think she might've wanted a bit more from Scott than a one-off in a closet.

Still not enjoying Chloe though. . .

SupremeLegate
October 30th, 2009, 10:07 PM
Well it appears that my OnDemand cut out that part of the episode, so could someone be kind enough to walk me through it?

pipi
October 30th, 2009, 10:47 PM
I'm just hoping for a 3-some :)

Professor D.H.D. Puddlejumper
October 30th, 2009, 10:58 PM
James' reaction to Scott/Chloe leads me to believe

Spec/spoilers for future eps : that she may the one who commits suicide.

:)

Sifr
October 30th, 2009, 11:16 PM
I think Chloe definitely got the vibe that there was more to James' reaction than she was saying, specially the "broom closet" line.

Spec/Spoilers for future eps:
If she is the one who does herself over this, I think it'd be a little cliche.

It wasn't like she slapped Scott in the face and then took Chloe out with a Beretta in the back of the head when she listening to her ipod

Vapor
October 30th, 2009, 11:23 PM
I've always thought James seemed cool, but this episode actually made me love her. She's got some attitude and toughness to her, but she also has feelings, which were clearly hurt by what she saw.

But she is also smart enough not to fall into the ridiculous trap that too many women seem to get into when there is "someone else" in the picture. She handled it maturely and is sympathetic toward Chloe, even though she is hooking up with the same man that James was.

I look forward to more with James in the future.

Count
October 30th, 2009, 11:30 PM
I don't think James
Spec/Spoilers for future eps :is going to commit suicide. Remember her Kino message? "I Don't want to die out here"

Spencers on the other hand, "I just want to get off this ship" could easily be taken as "Death is as good an exit as any".

jcoy
October 31st, 2009, 12:28 AM
I think James let Chloe know Scott was in trouble because she would want to know in the same situation. I think she even might still have feelings for him. At the very least, she doesn't blame Chloe (since she wouldn't have known about Scott and James).

I definitely like Vanessa James a lot more after this episode.

And I don't think she's going to kill herself over Scott. She's a tough chick. She's hurt, but she can take it.

thedrumm3rguy
October 31st, 2009, 12:32 AM
i tend to go with james being a 'seasoned player' and probably feels pitty & maby a bit of jealousy for chloe ....whos is obviously very young and naive, and will get hurt by Scott eventually...but will enjoy holding it over Scott when he comes back for a fling after pushing away chloe...unlike the pilot id say James definatley would wear the pants in the relationship ;)

Eclectic_Voyeur
October 31st, 2009, 12:34 AM
I thought it was a great moment. It could have been played so many ways and honestly, I was expecting typical girl vs. girl cattiness. James showed quite a bit of character here and I'm beginning to think she might've wanted a bit more from Scott than a one-off in a closet.

Still not enjoying Chloe though. . .

I might of had to stop watching if they got into a catfight over Scott. He's cute, but he's not all that. I am so not fond of Chloe. Something about her irks me....

wargrafix
October 31st, 2009, 12:52 AM
Either she feels sympathy or feels jealous. She's been dumped like a old potato.

g.o.d
October 31st, 2009, 01:38 AM
it's possible James didn't expected more from Scott. You know, people sometimes have sex only for enjoyment

Infinite-Possibilities
October 31st, 2009, 01:45 AM
I got the feeeling she was very sympathetic to Cloe. In both scenes they had together. I figured it was because she knows or thinks that Scott is going to break her heart in the future.

The weird thing is they didn't explain exactly what relationship they had on the show. She was having sex with her before the attack at Icarus base, was that a one time thing or a relationship or a purely physical relationship? And why didn't he want to continue in on Destiny? I couldn't have been specifically for Cloe. He didn't really know her then.

MattSilver 3k
October 31st, 2009, 01:46 AM
it's possible James didn't expected more from Scott. You know, people sometimes have sex only for enjoyment

That's one interpretation, and probably my favourite because it gets rid of any future love triangle sticky mess. Now, we just have to have Eli be castrated, and we're done on the other other triangle!

rien
October 31st, 2009, 02:37 AM
possibly he didnt want to continue the relationship onboard the destiny because of the risks involved. when the first episode aired there were a few people who questioned whether the character of vanessa james was under scotts command or not cause if she was a soldier under his command then what they were doing was against regs and he could get into serious trouble for it.

presuming that james is a soldier under his command, they managed to get away with getting it on in closets while on icarus base cause there were plenty of people stationed there it wasnt life or death every day i get the feeling before eli solved the math problem it was pretty hum drum and unexciting at icarus. but then they got stranded onboard the destiny. not as many people as on icarus base and plenty of ship to explore so even if they found somewhere nice and private that doesnt mean someone wont coincidentally walk in on them whilst exploring/getting lost especially since everyone has been on edge/hyper alert what with being in an unknown environment and alla life or death situations they keep finding themselves in.

the chances of scott and james getting caught are a lot higher so makes perfect sense he would drop the woman who could get him in serious trouble for the naive girl whose one of the few gals not part of the military and therfore perfectly okay to hook up with.

which i absolutely hate i think he should leave chloe to eli and stick with james as i think that would work out better in the long term but unfortunately writers and people in general dont always do what will work out better in the long term.

fwupow
October 31st, 2009, 02:40 AM
Is/was there any point at which Chloe had the opportunity to discern that Scott and James were an item?

It seems that in Scott's mind, the broom closet sex with James was frivolous casual fun. Maybe that's how it works in the Military. You can have as much sex as you want, You just can't fall in love?
I don't know, never been there.

If James knows that Chloe couldn't have known and that according to military rules, even the people who know are supposed to pretend that they don't, then there's nothing that James could've done except get watery eyed and cry in private.

Makes me wanna borrow an Eli line and say "Everybody's lying!". By both definitions of the word, I guess.

So Scott will keeping weaving the web of his own demise and Chloe will end up with Eli. I think that's where it's all headed. Now I feel like I'm in a Soap Opera forum. Any more of this and I won't have enough testosterone to get out of bed today.

Encoder
October 31st, 2009, 02:47 AM
She was p***ed!

Tho in the end I think she was like, sucked in Chloe, he's your problem now!

:sheppard:

Sonicbluemustang
October 31st, 2009, 03:38 AM
Well it appears that my OnDemand cut out that part of the episode, so could someone be kind enough to walk me through it?

In the scene James walks in and finds scott and chloe kissing heavily and she told scott that Young was calling him on the radio, as he exited the room James muttered to Scott "you couldnt find a broom closet?"

:cool:

James appears to be a lil older than scott anyway and she might be dissapointed that they really never finished back on the Icarus base. :)

syfygal47
October 31st, 2009, 04:03 AM
I was expecting a cat fight, but I was pleasantly surprised at how maturely James handled the situation. Maybe she realized Scott is playing around, and thus felt sympathy for Chloe.

TheRandomOne
October 31st, 2009, 04:08 AM
I thought it was more awkward when James went back to tell Chloe about what happened with Scott. "I just wanted you to know..." why freak her out at that time? probably reading way too much into that scene but that just seemed so weird based on the first interaction they had.

Maybe she is trying to slowly make Chloe depressed so that the next time they need someone to sacrifice themselves hello Chloe see ya later

NOT

TheRandomOne
October 31st, 2009, 04:09 AM
I was expecting a cat fight

Plenty of time for that to happen & remember this is TV so it will one way or another

jcoy
October 31st, 2009, 04:17 AM
Do we know if Scott and James had an ongoing relationship? I got the impression that the broom closet on Icarus was the first and only time that they hooked up.

g.o.d
October 31st, 2009, 04:29 AM
Do we know if Scott and James had an ongoing relationship? I got the impression that the broom closet on Icarus was the first and only time that they hooked up.

I doubt that

bobshort
October 31st, 2009, 04:34 AM
weres james sexy top this week. No sexy top this week come on. they miss an oparturnaty. They should have had a cat fight too.

Betelgeuze
October 31st, 2009, 06:32 AM
I'm thinking that James is a mature levelheaded woman, who did not expect much from Scott in the first place. From the interaction between her and Scott in Air it appears to me that she put an end to the relationship.

I really hope to see more of her.

missmobius
October 31st, 2009, 06:46 AM

future is between Chloe and James :)

missmobius
October 31st, 2009, 06:49 AM
These are some great characters, but that post made me really miss an old one... :indeed:

How much more make-up rations are they gonna have?
To save a waste of someones time, lets just say "Enough, plausible"
In second season...they're gonna have to doll it down a bit, though....

:indeed: <~~my new fave emoticon

Less
October 31st, 2009, 07:47 AM
I'm an optimist that Lt. James, Special Forces, will continue to earn a spot as one of the "grownups" on board the Destiny. I want to believe that she (actress and character both) can overcome the first impression that the writers created. To that end, here's what I'm imagining for her thought process:

"Lt. Scott is unreachable AGAIN? What a fabulously dependable 2nd in command we have. And now I have to be the one to go find him, like I'm some errand boy? He'd better have a good excuse like massive intestinal distress or something, cause this is really unacceptable.

What? Oh. He's busy making out with Chloe. THAT'S what he thought was worth turning off his radio and putting the entire ship on hold just to find him? What a jerk.

Wait. I was a perpetrator of that same kind of thing not too long ago. Crap. Sure, I'm mad at Scott for being irresponsible, but I've been just as guilty. Now I see it from the other side, how selfish. Other people negatively affected by my behavior, got it. Especially in our current situation, we really need to be able to depend on each other, I'm Special Forces, I can't be doing that kind of crap anymore.

Hoo Boy, doesn't feel good to see my weaknesses reflected back at me, but now I know WHY I won't be doing that sort of thing again. "

At least, that's what I wanted her to be thinking. I'm thinking most of us have been in that kind of situation - angry at someone for being a jerk, then realizing that we've done the same thing. Seeing jerkiness from the other side can be a great deterrent.

I'm not sure the writers put that much thought into it, but I think the actress did. I think she's trying to be more than Lt. Boob. Good for her.

wargrafix
October 31st, 2009, 08:22 AM
^^^^

alas she is still Lt Boobs.

missmobius
October 31st, 2009, 08:28 AM
^^^^

alas she is still Lt Boobs.

they didn't look that big last night :confused:

wargrafix
October 31st, 2009, 08:32 AM
they didn't look that big last night :confused:

*warning*: Objects through a Kino may appear larger than they really are.

Skydiver
October 31st, 2009, 08:54 AM
enough of the boobs cracks please :)

Kaiphantom
October 31st, 2009, 08:54 AM
I have to agree, that I am really starting to like James. She's mature; more mature than a certain second-in-command. I'm a guy, and I hate women stereotypes with a passion, so for me, it's a breath of fresh air to see a tough woman who is still a woman. She could have got all pissy and spiteful... and she didn't.

At this point, I want to see Scott demoted and James promoted to second-in-command. If the writers off her with a suicide, it'll be extremely cheap and stupid. If you off the few smart ones, you're left with a ship of fools... literally.

Rac80
October 31st, 2009, 08:55 AM
I thought she handled it well....but scott better not rely on her to save his life at some point....:S

Skydiver
October 31st, 2009, 08:56 AM
I think lt James is an adult, who sought diversion and enjoyment from Scott, never expected or wanted more than a physical relationship. Now she sees that he's moved on and she's dealing with it in an adult manner.

if anything, the emotion she's feeling right now is a bit of 'fear' for chloe and the fall out if Scott moves on and leaves chloe behind.

and if James gets to the point that she's friends with chloe, she could end up in the 'don't you hurt her you idjet' mindset...be chloe's defender

ChrisSThomas
October 31st, 2009, 10:55 AM
Why is everyone talking about a suicide as though it is going to happen and yet there is no tag about spoilers for future eps on this thread or on any of those posts. I did not know about any suicide planned in the story and feel kind of bummed I wasn't warned. And I don't want to hear "well what were you doing reading a forum" because I was reading a thread about an ep I have seen and an innocuous conversation about a character's reaction to something that happened.
As for James I agree with those who have said that she obviously has moved on in maturity realizing that there isn't anything there and just feels for Chloe who might suffer the same fate but won't handle it as well. I think the Icarus base hook up was a limited time thing and though James may have been expecting more knew it would be tough due to military protocol and once Scott blew her off she realized nothing was there and moved on.

SupremeLegate
October 31st, 2009, 11:47 AM
Well I was finaly able to see the first scene where Lt. James catches Scott with Chloe, so here is my impression. First though I am of the impression that there was more between Scott and Lt. James than that once scene in the closet, I think this becuase of a line Greer said in Air.

Scene 1: I think she was surprised when she saw them and was even a little hurt by it, even if they were done he moved on rather quickly. I do hope to hear more snide remarks from her.

Scene 2: She was deffinatly unconfortable, this could have been becuase of what she had to say or becuase she was saying it to the "new" women.

So I think she handled it very well, course I do hope that she eventualy bashes Scott about it.

Col.Foley
October 31st, 2009, 12:19 PM
I really think James is a professional about this, and I was really surpriseed, in a good way, that she went to go tell Chloe about it. After all it seemed like no one else knew, and Chloe did have a small....right to know.

It was just a great scene to me, both of them. Obvious she (James) is hurt, but she can put it behind her enough to tell Chloe, and....I think she probably still 'cares' for SScott in the end.

Despite how they are shoving this relationship down our throats every episode (so it seems like anyways), I think in the end things are going to work out well for everyone involved. And I think there will be a limited amount of hurt feelings, all the characters are showing indications that they can move past this and still coexist with eachother.

kcatlantis
October 31st, 2009, 12:22 PM
My bet is that she ends up with Eli. Not Chloe James.

Skydiver
October 31st, 2009, 12:38 PM
nah, james and greer

kcatlantis
October 31st, 2009, 01:18 PM
Maybe, but Eli needs to end up with someone. Who then? I would say Greer, and TJ, maybe Young and TJ.

antcave
October 31st, 2009, 02:30 PM
nah, james and greer

yes. i was thinking they'd make a good couple

SupremeLegate
October 31st, 2009, 03:28 PM
I'm sticking with: Eli matures, Chloe/Scott end things, and Eli ends up with Chloe.

And yes, I will stick what that until the end of the series if I have too.

Commander Zelix
October 31st, 2009, 03:46 PM
I didn't like James reaction as I think it was completely unrealistic.

Don't get me wrong. I have no problem of her not being jealous and not turning this into a love triangle. What bother me in her reaction is that she consider Scott's relation with Chloe in any way serious. Its obvious she saw her relation with Scott as only a hookup. And should see Scott's relation with Chloe the same way. So in real life, she wouldn't go warn Scott's latest fling about him being hurt, its ridiculous.

For example, lets say your brother bring home a different girl every other weeks or months. The relation last like one week or something, then he find himself another hookup. If one week your brother is greatly hurt in a car accident. Will you call his latest conquest and tell her. "Hi, I'm Peter's sister, I know you and Peter are close. I just want to tell you there's been an accident. Peter is at the St-Michael hospital". No, you wouldn't do that. Because you know that girl is not that close to your brother. You may be completely wrong. Maybe it is the woman of his life, and he now want to settle with her, but you wouldn't think that.

So James going out of her way to Chloe and say "Hey, the guy you have a fling with is hurt" seem out of character as she must consider Scott as nothing but a player (hence the broomstick room comment). Maybe she's wrong about it, but she wouldn't know that.

Col.Foley
October 31st, 2009, 04:22 PM
I didn't like James reaction as I think it was completely unrealistic.

Don't get me wrong. I have no problem of her not being jealous and not turning this into a love triangle. What bother me in her reaction is that she consider Scott's relation with Chloe in any way serious. Its obvious she saw her relation with Scott as only a hookup. And should see Scott's relation with Chloe the same way. So in real life, she wouldn't go warn Scott's latest fling about him being hurt, its ridiculous.

For example, lets say your brother bring home a different girl every other weeks or months. The relation last like one week or something, then he find himself another hookup. If one week your brother is greatly hurt in a car accident. Will you call his latest conquest and tell her. "Hi, I'm Peter's sister, I know you and Peter are close. I just want to tell you there's been an accident. Peter is at the St-Michael hospital". No, you wouldn't do that. Because you know that girl is not that close to your brother. You may be completely wrong. Maybe it is the woman of his life, and he now want to settle with her, but you wouldn't think that.

So James going out of her way to Chloe and say "Hey, the guy you have a fling with is hurt" seem out of character as she must consider Scott as nothing but a player (hence the broomstick room comment). Maybe she's wrong about it, but she wouldn't know that.Perhaps she does not see of it as being a fling between the two of them?

majorsal
October 31st, 2009, 05:01 PM
I've always thought James seemed cool, but this episode actually made me love her. She's got some attitude and toughness to her, but she also has feelings, which were clearly hurt by what she saw.

But she is also smart enough not to fall into the ridiculous trap that too many women seem to get into when there is "someone else" in the picture. She handled it maturely and is sympathetic toward Chloe, even though she is hooking up with the same man that James was.

I look forward to more with James in the future.

i watched the ep today, so i can comment on her reaction.

i liked it. it was a more adult reaction, instead of the more teenager demeanor i've seen with chloe. (i've come to believe chloe's a misplaced character from 'one tree hill' :p)

if i were james, i'd be hurt that scott dropped me the way he did. if he wasn't interested anymore, tell me, don't handle it by ignoring me and then two/three days later, boppin' another female.

james is cool. i really like her. i hope she survives and gets more screen time! :D

Skydiver
October 31st, 2009, 05:06 PM
i like how she handled it in that, it's not chloe's fault scott is sleeping with her. chloe is a 'victim' of scott's actions/appeal.

and i think that's how vanessa is seeing things, chloe is just a victim of the man and if anyone is getting his butt kicked, it'll be scott

ReFRidgerator
October 31st, 2009, 05:08 PM
i've come to believe chloe's a misplaced character from 'one tree hill'

:indeed: Perhaps when they say "these are the wrong people" they mean for the series

Col.Foley
October 31st, 2009, 05:08 PM
i watched the ep today, so i can comment on her reaction.

i liked it. it was a more adult reaction, instead of the more teenager demeanor i've seen with chloe. (i've come to believe chloe's a misplaced character from 'one tree hill' :p)

if i were james, i'd be hurt that scott dropped me the way he did. if he wasn't interested anymore, tell me, don't handle it by ignoring me and then two/three days later, boppin' another female.

james is cool. i really like her. i hope she survives and gets more screen time! :DI really think that is unfair, she is acting a lot more mature then most 'teenaged' women I have met in my life in similar situations. (though that might be really insulting to my good friends:lol:)

i like how she handled it in that, it's not chloe's fault scott is sleeping with her. chloe is a 'victim' of scott's actions/appeal.

and i think that's how vanessa is seeing things, chloe is just a victim of the man and if anyone is getting his butt kicked, it'll be scottShe is a thinking being I would assume that she would be making her own choices in this case and is not a victim of anything, it takes two to tango and someones appeal is no excuse....especially since all that appeal was is he helped her out after her father died.

Skydiver
October 31st, 2009, 05:21 PM
yes, it takes two to tango...but chloe didn't know that james and scott had a 'relationship' of some sort...no chloe didn't 'betray' vanessa or anything. in that way she's innocent. she just thought she was shacking up iwth a single guy

Col.Foley
October 31st, 2009, 05:23 PM
yes, it takes two to tango...but chloe didn't know that james and scott had a 'relationship' of some sort...no chloe didn't 'betray' vanessa or anything. in that way she's innocent. she just thought she was shacking up iwth a single guy
IN that you have a point.
But I think in the end it would not have really changed things...except that Chloe might have made Scott break up with James in the first place:P The way I see it anyways.

Skydiver
October 31st, 2009, 05:27 PM
i think, had chloe known about vanessa, she never would have joined up with scott. she doesn't strike me as a 'home wrecker' type.

Col.Foley
October 31st, 2009, 05:29 PM
i think, had chloe known about vanessa, she never would have joined up with scott. she doesn't strike me as a 'home wrecker' type.
Scott would have convinced her otherwise...especially if you think his powers of persuasion are as strong as you obviously do:P.

IcarusAbides
October 31st, 2009, 05:47 PM
James wasn't bothered about losing Scott because she want's a proper man in Greer or Riley but most likely Greer.

SGUfanatic
October 31st, 2009, 06:00 PM
I have one question, why is everyone making Scott out to be the bad guy here? My son is in the military and yes it generally is against the rules for a physical relationship, and as far as his reaction towards James when they first got on the Destiny (with the military view of said relationships) is it any wonder he acted like he wasn't sure who she was? She was irritated but even told him, when he tried to apologize "not now" as she looked back at Riley. Clue here that she KNEW it wasn't a wise idea to let things go further.

People get the idea that Scott is a player, do you know something that I dont? I find this character to have, as Young said "a heart as big as a house". He's young, in a bad situation and would be nice if others noted that Chloe is just as responsible for their new relationship as he is. I mean come on, after all this time (and who knows what goes on behind the scenes) she never once asked any questions? Sheesh.......don't get me wrong I like Chloe.

Now, being a woman even with kick butt military training, James was going to be upset by finding Chloe and Scott together. Her comment about the broom closet was actually very typical. The way James handled the thing with telling Chloe about Scott said alot about her character as a person (and I think she would have liked someone to tell her if the situation was reversed) not just a Lt. in the Special Forces. As others have noted, she more than likely knew there could not be more than what they had.

Please forgive my slight diatribe here but it's hard to see so many say such negative things about characters that actually spill over onto the talented actor/actresses in real life. Will shut up now on this.LOL

Eternal Density
October 31st, 2009, 06:05 PM
I get the impression Vanessa pities Chloe a bit.

Icarus
October 31st, 2009, 07:23 PM
If the sexes were reversed, the men would be fighting each other over the sexual deviant!

Vapor
October 31st, 2009, 07:57 PM
Chloe is just as responsible for their new relationship as he is.

Wait, what?

Chloe presumably had no idea she was moving in on someone else's man (fling or otherwise), whereas Scott obviously knew because he was with both of them. Unless Scott told her everything off-screen. But then it still falls on Scott to make it clear to James what was happening, and he most likely didn't, given the situation we're talking about now.

I don't think anyone in this scenario is a terrible person, but to suggest that Scott and Chloe are equal in innocence is just something I wouldn't agree with.

Commander Zelix
October 31st, 2009, 08:44 PM
Perhaps she does not see of it as being a fling between the two of them?
As I explained, theres no way from her perceptive she would see it any other way. She see him as a player she even made a "broomsticks room" comment to punctuate it.

Col.Foley
October 31st, 2009, 08:51 PM
As I explained, theres no way from her perceptive she would see it any other way. She see him as a player she even made a "broomsticks room" comment to punctuate it.
heat of the moment?

Julian
October 31st, 2009, 09:24 PM
^Weren't they also having sex in a similar room in the first episode? I assumed it was a reference to that.

And I don't think her reaction is 'un-realistic' - how can you expect anyting to be realistic? No one has ever been in a situaion that they're in, the stress of being so far from earth with no way back, and stuck on a ship where anything could possibly happen. They've also nearly died so many times, it's surprising they havn't cracked under the pressure more.

I think her reaction just shows that she understands that her relationship with Scott is over if there ever was a 'relationship' in the beginning. Who knows how long she's been in the army as she's probably learnt to be able to disconnect her emotions when she wants or needs to.

And I assume she's just looking out for Chloe who is so obviously being played by Scott... I don't really like him at all.

pipi
October 31st, 2009, 09:34 PM
One has to remember that James is an enlisted service man/woman. She knows this and that's why she's not getting emotional about it.

Infinite-Possibilities
October 31st, 2009, 10:02 PM
Considering the fact that I don't think James and Scott have even had a scene together after Air part 1, I am really a small bit doubtful that either of them considered themselves a couple anymore, even if they were at first.

Col.Foley
October 31st, 2009, 10:07 PM
^Weren't they also having sex in a similar room in the first episode? I assumed it was a reference to that.

And I don't think her reaction is 'un-realistic' - how can you expect anyting to be realistic? No one has ever been in a situaion that they're in, the stress of being so far from earth with no way back, and stuck on a ship where anything could possibly happen. They've also nearly died so many times, it's surprising they havn't cracked under the pressure more.

I think her reaction just shows that she understands that her relationship with Scott is over if there ever was a 'relationship' in the beginning. Who knows how long she's been in the army as she's probably learnt to be able to disconnect her emotions when she wants or needs to.

And I assume she's just looking out for Chloe who is so obviously being played by Scott... I don't really like him at all.
How do you have any evidence that he is really 'playing her'? As in being malicious about it, I mean I see your point that is certainly one very valid definition of what he could be doing...just messing with her feelings and taking advantage of her....but honestly we have seen no real evidence of that either way.
In fact, the only one...I have come to realize...that we do not know of about this relationship....is Scott. Other then the whole:
Kino scene with the two girlfriends bit.
I mean it could just be that he is for some reason scared of something, or is trying to avoid any awkward situations between any of them...after all she is armed:P.
I think it is interesting though, whether it is intentional or not, that he is the last person who we are really going to get thoughts on for terms of this relationship and where it is going.
James has acted professional...telling Chloe...for whatever her reasons are, and making sure she is OK.
Chloe and Eli have both shown a willingess to be friends around eachother and be there for eachother in that context.
and chloe has indicated that she has attraction and affections for Scott, what ever her reasons. Holding his hand when he came back, snogging, etc.
Not saying that he is not malicious, just looking this from all the angles I can, proposing theories and saying...well I need more information from him, a telling character moment to indicate what is in his head and heart.

wargrafix
November 1st, 2009, 01:55 AM
I think what annoys people, is that as a character, scott really isn't impressive. What exactly has he done? Eli pulled their asses out of the frying pan and the fire. If Vanessa didn't manipulate Eli, and yes she did, I would have sympathy for her. Essentially, Vanessa is part of the potential insurrection. Eli is realizing its time to play the cards smarter.

Chloe isn't a terribly useful character. maybe she'll be a diplomat later on, but until then, she is a meatbag for the sharks.

Albeno
November 1st, 2009, 04:42 AM

Of course there can.

If they're going to be stuck on this ship for a prolonged period of time, it's unreasonable for Young to expect the military personnel to behave as if they were permanently on duty. They're all human and they all have urges...and if they aren't permitted to acquiesce to them every once in a while they'll go mad - and the last thing you want is for the people in charge of the guns to go mad.

Coronach
November 1st, 2009, 07:40 AM
I think what annoys people, is that as a character, scott really isn't impressive. What exactly has he done?

I guess these things really are quite subjective, aren't they :confused::

1) He effectively managed to keep the situation under control when the crew first arrived on the Destiny. Given the fact that Young was out and he is completely unprepared for such a situation, he did it quite well and showed a lot of promise as an up-and-coming leader figure.

2) He singlehandedly found the lake bed in "Air" 3 and was able to bring back enough material (eventually with the help of Greer) to get the circulation systems working again and to save everyone's life aboard the Destiny. Notwithstanding, he also practically killed himself in the process.

3) As much as people hate it/are outraged by it/are rolling their eyes about it...he made it a point to go and talk with Chloe after her father died. To me, this seems like a good thing as who knows what was going on through Chloe's mind at the time. It's certainly the sign of what a good leader would do, making sure that all of your crew are doing relatively well.

4) He successfully flew the shuttle back onto the Destiny. While he did have Eli's coordinates to perform the slingshot, it was heavily suggested that pulling off that landing maneuver was no easy task...yet he safely got everyone back and in one piece.

Take these as you will, I guess, but I think people are letting his romance/sex storyline cloud their judgment of Lt. Scott. As it stands, he's done quite a lot.

leiasky
November 1st, 2009, 09:09 AM
Scott seems too much of a contradiction right now. Right off the bat he's literally screwing the military regs ON base. Shows he doesn't have much respect for the military. He steps up after that and takes command very reliably and believably but the willful screwing the regs is still there as a blemish, if you will.

Then we find out about his religious background and the willful screwing of the regs seems like even more of a contradiction. Yes, we find out he made a mistake while he was younger but is still continuing to do so. Still messing around with yet another women mere days later.

James, on the other hand, seems to have a more mature and level head on her shoulders. Yes, she screwed the regs, too, which I just find too unbelievable on a show in a franchise where this has been such a big thing in the past. But she stepped up and was not only believable in her job but was mature in her dealing with a superior officer when catching him messing around with another woman while on duty.

IcarusAbides
November 1st, 2009, 09:11 AM
It will be interesting to see whether or not Scott keeps on being a contradiction throughout the series or whether he will go one way or another at some point.

Kaiphantom
November 1st, 2009, 09:16 AM
I guess these things really are quite subjective, aren't they :confused::

1) He effectively managed to keep the situation under control when the crew first arrived on the Destiny. Given the fact that Young was out and he is completely unprepared for such a situation, he did it quite well and showed a lot of promise as an up-and-coming leader figure.

2) He singlehandedly found the lake bed in "Air" 3 and was able to bring back enough material (eventually with the help of Greer) to get the circulation systems working again and to save everyone's life aboard the Destiny. Notwithstanding, he also practically killed himself in the process.

3) As much as people hate it/are outraged by it/are rolling their eyes about it...he made it a point to go and talk with Chloe after her father died. To me, this seems like a good thing as who knows what was going on through Chloe's mind at the time. It's certainly the sign of what a good leader would do, making sure that all of your crew are doing relatively well.

4) He successfully flew the shuttle back onto the Destiny. While he did have Eli's coordinates to perform the slingshot, it was heavily suggested that pulling off that landing maneuver was no easy task...yet he safely got everyone back and in one piece.

Take these as you will, I guess, but I think people are letting his romance/sex storyline cloud their judgment of Lt. Scott. As it stands, he's done quite a lot.

Done quite a bit, yes. Our problems stem from the fact that his character seems to be degrading from that. Leaving a radio off? That's unprofessional in this circumstance, no matter how you look at it.

Jumping any random girl when he gets a chance, moving onto the next whenever he feels like it? Do people really think playboys are still that awesome or something in this day and age? Perhaps James realized it was just sex in that closet, and that's all it was to her.

But it shows that Scott sees sex as just sex, too. There's heartbreak on the way if Chloe is feeling more, but at this point, I'm not convinced she does either.

I liked Scott starting out, despite the closet thing. But he's devolving into the stereotypical male led by the smaller of his two brains. Had I been young, I would have strongly thought about demoting him and putting James up as second-in-command.

We shall see how things progress. For this moment, though, this whole Chloe/Scott thing is bad news.

IcarusAbides
November 1st, 2009, 09:19 AM
Done quite a bit, yes. Our problems stem from the fact that his character seems to be degrading from that. Leaving a radio off? That's unprofessional in this circumstance, no matter how you look at it.

Jumping any random girl when he gets a chance, moving onto the next whenever he feels like it? Do people really think playboys are still that awesome or something in this day and age? Perhaps James realized it was just sex in that closet, and that's all it was to her.

But it shows that Scott sees sex as just sex, too. There's heartbreak on the way if Chloe is feeling more, but at this point, I'm not convinced she does either.

I liked Scott starting out, despite the closet thing. But he's devolving into the stereotypical male led by the smaller of his two brains. Had I been young, I would have strongly thought about demoting him and putting James up as second-in-command.

We shall see how things progress. For this moment, though, this whole Chloe/Scott thing is bad news.
I don't think Scott comes off too great but i'm more worried about the character of Chloe, so far she hasn't had a great deal of her own storyline and it just seems that she is there to be concerned for Scott when he goes on missions, she needs her own storyline.

Coronach
November 1st, 2009, 09:31 AM

Actually, I'd say your problem stems from this, but this is vastly different than the poster who I actually responded to. They claimed that he hasn't done anything, which I'd say is patently false.

He's immature, inexperienced, and unprofessional at times. I certainly don't dispute this (in fact, it's how is character was envisioned). I just dispute that he hasn't done anything, which clearly you do not think is the case as your problem stems from something much different.

ARealArchaeologist
November 1st, 2009, 09:35 AM
I don't think Scott comes off too great but i'm more worried about the character of Chloe, so far she hasn't had a great deal of her own storyline and it just seems that she is there to be concerned for Scott when he goes on missions, she needs her own storyline.

I totally agree with this. I figured that by now she would be seen helping out however she could, trying to compensate for her priveledge life, and yet all she seems to do is get in the way. That was the impression I got from James, that she was telling Chloe he was hurt, because she knew she would push her way into the people trying to save him and cause more trouble and irritation. That James is setting up (and not in a malicious way, just because Chloe already has this quality) Chloe to be considered nothing more then a problem on this ship.

Kaiphantom
November 1st, 2009, 09:37 AM
Actually, I'd say your problem stems from this, but this is vastly different than the poster who I actually responded to. They claimed that he hasn't done anything, which I'd say is patently false.

He's immature, inexperienced, and unprofessional at times. I certainly don't dispute this (in fact, it's how is character was envisioned). I just dispute that he hasn't done anything, which clearly you do not think is the case as your problem stems from something much different.

What would you say my problem is? I have a rational and logical mindset, seeing the good and the bad. Thus I see the good and bad in Scott, Chloe, Eli and the rest. It's illogical to deny things that have a logical truth to them. That leads to denial, and well, that path isn't pretty.

I find most misunderstanding, arguments, and debates, stem from the fact that one doesn't understand, or doesn't want to understand. The only problem I possess, is a low tolerance someone who is unwilling to do critical thinking.

Not saying you are one, as we had a good discussion in another thread. But some others, well, it's like bashing my head into a wall...

Coronach
November 1st, 2009, 09:40 AM
What would you say my problem is?

Your problem with Lt. Scott...which you described as:

Our problems stem from the fact that his character seems to be degrading from that.

I meant nothing in the way of you having a problem in general, I was only trying to point out that your response to me is vastly different than the poster I was responding to. :cool:

Kaiphantom
November 1st, 2009, 09:55 AM
I meant nothing in the way of you having a problem in general, I was only trying to point out that your response to me is vastly different than the poster I was responding to. :cool:

I will say this much. If you're familiar with Babylon 5 and the creator's viewpoint... he talks about redemption. It's easy to make characters that are good. But a more memorable character is one that has strong flaws, and becomes bad... and then is redeemed. Some of the more memorable characters from that show, were Londo and G'kar. Both had varying times when they were a bad guy, and then became a good guy.

If the writers can pull off a redemption for Scott and some of the others, and do it well, then we'll have a good sci fi series like Babylon 5.

If they endlessly screw things up and angst about it, then we get BSG.

I'm still hoping for the former. Just my style preference for a story.

But I do know what I have seen so far. And I do know more episodes are coming.

Coronach
November 1st, 2009, 09:56 AM
I will say this much. If you're familiar with Babylon 5 and the creator's viewpoint... he talks about redemption. It's easy to make characters that are good. But a more memorable character is one that has strong flaws, and becomes bad... and then is redeemed. Some of the more memorable characters from that show, were Londo and G'kar. Both had varying times when they were a bad guy, and then became a good guy.

If the writers can pull off a redemption for Scott and some of the others, and do it well, then we'll have a good sci fi series like Babylon 5.

But I do know what I have seen so far. And I do know more episodes are coming.

Understandable, and another Babylon 5 reference makes me feel like I really need to watch that show sometime. All I really ever see are good things about it :P

Kaiphantom
November 1st, 2009, 10:31 AM
Understandable, and another Babylon 5 reference makes me feel like I really need to watch that show sometime. All I really ever see are good things about it :P

Heh, required watching for any sci-fi enthusiast. At the risk of thread derailment...

The most important reason why, is that Micheal had a 5 year story in mind from the start, rather then most shows which go episode by episode. So things that you see at the start, can come into play much later. Story arcs can go on for a long while, along with mini-arcs here and there. It takes a little bit to get going, but you get into it.

People come and go (cast changes) for a reason. Characters do come back and surprise you with their reappearance. He actually had exit strategies for each character, in case something came up with them in real life. One actress actually hurt her leg in real life, and he worked that into an episode. The series is one of his best works.

And Star Trek's Chekov has a well-done role there as Bester. :P

You can probably find or torrent the episodes online somewhere. If you want, I can PM you a few links.

To keep this a bit related, it's my hope that more sci-fi writers can emulate this. The ability to have multiple story arcs going on, while doing excellent character development. And plenty of humor, too. If you liked the humor from the other SG series, you'll find it here.

There were a few negatives, such as (my opinion) the last season feeling a bit weaker than the others and sometimes some of the main characters were a bit "too good and holy."

O'Neil
November 1st, 2009, 10:40 AM
I said it a couple weeks ago, and now here it is..... exactly like I said.

James would eventually catch the player and the princess in some kind of act, and thus the triangle of love begins...[begin soap opera music]

Coronach
November 1st, 2009, 11:01 AM
Heh, required watching for any sci-fi enthusiast. At the risk of thread derailment...

The most important reason why, is that Micheal had a 5 year story in mind from the start, rather then most shows which go episode by episode. So things that you see at the start, can come into play much later. Story arcs can go on for a long while, along with mini-arcs here and there. It takes a little bit to get going, but you get into it.

People come and go (cast changes) for a reason. Characters do come back and surprise you with their reappearance. He actually had exit strategies for each character, in case something came up with them in real life. One actress actually hurt her leg in real life, and he worked that into an episode. The series is one of his best works.

You can probably find or torrent the episodes online somewhere. If you want, I can PM you a few links.

To keep this a bit related, it's my hope that more sci-fi writers can emulate this. The ability to have multiple story arcs going on, while doing excellent character development. And plenty of humor, too. If you liked the humor from the other SG series, you'll find it here.

There were a few negatives, such as (my opinion) the last season feeling a bit weaker than the others and sometimes some of the main characters were a bit "too good and holy."

Wow, that sounds like an amazing show. It's very nice to see shows that are conceived as running a certain amount of time, as then (as you mentioned) things can be very elaborately done and arcs and be much longer than usual.

I think I'll see it out in some fashion or another. Finally, I agree with you that I hope SGU can emulate a style in the manner you describe :)

IcarusAbides
November 1st, 2009, 11:05 AM
Wow, that sounds like an amazing show. It's very nice to see shows that are conceived as running a certain amount of time, as then (as you mentioned) things can be very elaborately done and arcs and be much longer than usual.

I think I'll see it out in some fashion or another. Finally, I agree with you that I hope SGU can emulate a style in the manner you describe :)
You should definately give Babylon 5 a chance, it is an excellent series and can be bought for a relatively cheap price.

Col.Foley
November 1st, 2009, 11:19 AM

But I do know what I have seen so far. And I do know more episodes are coming.If you are compairing Scott to either of those characters is a bit unfair right now. He turned off his radio, that is it, the only real wrong thing he has done. It does not help him that we have seen hin 'sleeping around' but that is not 'bad', that is his choice for whatever his reasons....though not telling James was also pretty dubious leading her to her reactions. But I am saying he has not done anything evil yet. He does not need to be redeemed, he just needs to grow.

you really really should:P

There were a few negatives, such as (my opinion) the last season feeling a bit weaker than the others and sometimes some of the main characters were a bit "too good and holy."I think they are actually, I am really impressed with some of the arcs that we are beginning to see in Universe, and the humor we have seen. Obviously they have a lot of major problems, and kinks to smooth out...this whole thing with James for instance...but so did B5, so did other shows. And I am really looking forward to giving them their chance, because I am liking what I am seeing.

wargrafix
November 1st, 2009, 11:21 AM

1) The lakebed find was thanks to the creature.
2) he is not professional, shown with his dealings with the senator
3) an OK pilot. Nothing out of the ordinary for the series.
4) Short sighted, and without vision.
5) A bit snotty nose brattish.
6) Radio off shows he is quite a tool.

Of course this is all in the writing of the character. Is he a likable character? At first yes, but as time passes, not really.

Major Tyler
November 1st, 2009, 11:23 AM
This episode was actually successful at making me feel positive about two characters that really held no interest for me before. I really respected James for not punishing Chloe for Scott's behavior, and I appreciated Chloe standing up for Greer when Franklin was trying to cause trouble about the searches.

Arjannl
November 1st, 2009, 11:35 AM
Personally, I think we should see the 'Lt. Scott didnt respond to radio call' as merely a plot device to have a certain someone come in the room when he was with Chloe. And nothing more.

Perhaps the batteries were dead and he didn't know. Perhaps he left it in the next room. Shows that he isn't perfect.

Kaiphantom
November 1st, 2009, 12:10 PM
If you are compairing Scott to either of those characters is a bit unfair right now. He turned off his radio, that is it, the only real wrong thing he has done. It does not help him that we have seen hin 'sleeping around' but that is not 'bad', that is his choice for whatever his reasons....though not telling James was also pretty dubious leading her to her reactions. But I am saying he has not done anything evil yet. He does not need to be redeemed, he just needs to grow.

Society generally holds that sleeping around is bad for a reason(just ask any woman who finds out that her man is cheating on her). The military generally holds that screwing around is bad for a reason(hence the regulations).

I'll repeat what Rush said, but applying it to this, "If you can't see the signs, you're no good to me."

Although I don't mean it that harshly, but there are indeed signs. His "traumatic" moment early in his life where he got someone pregnant, and the stress from that led to the priest's death who was taking care of him. One would normally think that would have an effect on someone, and in Air pt.3 the writers were apparently attempting to show us it did have a strong effect on Scott.

I could almost forgive the closet bang, because here he was now, having a life or death struggle. The Chloe thing shows us he has learned *nothing* after all. Which makes for a pretty poor character, if they are incapable of learning. If he can't learn, then he can't grow as a character.

Just look at Team Rocket in Pokemon. Doing the same thing episode after episode. No amount of failure can deter them. When I see Scott, I see Team Rocket.

I think they are actually, I am really impressed with some of the arcs that we are beginning to see in Universe, and the humor we have seen. Obviously they have a lot of major problems, and kinks to smooth out...this whole thing with James for instance...but so did B5, so did other shows. And I am really looking forward to giving them their chance, because I am liking what I am seeing.

I don't see any real arcs at the moment. We're just getting to know these people. So far, the stories have been resolved in one or two episodes. The only major arc is survival at the moment.

To be fair, Babylon 5 started out this way, too. We had a lot of "getting to know these people" type episodes. Although we did also have a sprinkling of hints and developments that built up the shadow war. Watching it a second time is very rewarding, in that you pick up those little bits that foreshadowed what was coming.

Col.Foley
November 1st, 2009, 12:17 PM
Society generally holds that sleeping around is bad for a reason(just ask any woman who finds out that her man is cheating on her). The military generally holds that screwing around is bad for a reason(hence the regulations).

I'll repeat what Rush said, but applying it to this, "If you can't see the signs, you're no good to me."

Although I don't mean it that harshly, but there are indeed signs. His "traumatic" moment early in his life where he got someone pregnant, and the stress from that led to the priest's death who was taking care of him. One would normally think that would have an effect on someone, and in Air pt.3 the writers were apparently attempting to show us it did have a strong effect on Scott.

I could almost forgive the closet bang, because here he was now, having a life or death struggle. The Chloe thing shows us he has learned *nothing* after all. Which makes for a pretty poor character, if they are incapable of learning. If he can't learn, then he can't grow as a character.

Just look at Team Rocket in Pokemon. Doing the same thing episode after episode. No amount of failure can deter them. When I see Scott, I see Team Rocket.

I don't see any real arcs at the moment. We're just getting to know these people. So far, the stories have been resolved in one or two episodes. The only major arc is survival at the moment.

To be fair, Babylon 5 started out this way, too. We had a lot of "getting to know these people" type episodes. Although we did also have a sprinkling of hints and developments that built up the shadow war. Watching it a second time is very rewarding, in that you pick up those little bits that foreshadowed what was coming.
Fair enough, and a good point. I am just saying he has not done anything 'evil' yet:P. Though that could be a matter of perspective.
And it did....but we do not know wht they are setting up until we see it, the bug creatures for instance, we did not know that they would come up again...I thought it would have been nice, but I was surprised that we did see it. And heck though, B5 did not have...come to add this aspect....really un flawed supermen, they had a lot of problems throughout the show...and most of them over came them in one way or another.
Right now I am willing to give Scott the benefit of the doubt because in the end we just do not know what he is actually feeling. We know what Chloe is feeling, we know what Eli is feeling, and we have a good indication of what James is feeling, but Scott has been along for the ride...in an I am driving it sense. It has really really really hurt his character this early on, and I acknowlege that, but I am willing to let this play out.

Infinite-Possibilities
November 1st, 2009, 01:55 PM
We're 6 episodes in! You really think Scott isn't going to grow at all during the show? It's not like people don't make the same mistakes more than once. That happens a lot in the world. It doesn't meant those people can't grow.

Bebbe777
November 1st, 2009, 02:06 PM
Well, I have only thing to say: More James! She rocks

IcarusAbides
November 1st, 2009, 03:08 PM
We're 6 episodes in! You really think Scott isn't going to grow at all during the show? It's not like people don't make the same mistakes more than once. That happens a lot in the world. It doesn't meant those people can't grow.
Exactly, Scott can't be judged on these opening episodes, we have to see how and if he changes throughout the series before making a decision.

Col.Foley
November 1st, 2009, 03:12 PM
We're 6 episodes in! You really think Scott isn't going to grow at all during the show? It's not like people don't make the same mistakes more than once. That happens a lot in the world. It doesn't meant those people can't grow.And not to mention he is young yet, and he has a heart as big as a house...that could be a problem:P

Well, I have only thing to say: More James! She rocks
Sort of

antcave
November 1st, 2009, 03:32 PM
i am actually happy scotts character is coming off as a tool. i was expecting the usual lead character that gets the girl and everyone loves. I'm happy I'm seeing something different for a change. With SGU I don't feel like i already know the end of the story.

ronin36
November 1st, 2009, 04:11 PM
Maybe James is thinking.. "Scott isn't worth it."

And I think she'd be right. I he's happy bouncing from one woman to another.. Maybe she's seen enough of life say.. "I don't want any of that kind of man."

And now, she's trying to move on the best she can.

The other option, that has been mentioned before.. Maybe James' and Scott's interlude in the broom closet was "casual" thing. Maybe both were hoping for more, but circumstances change. And now they're happy they're not together.

But the REALLY sad part about this commentary.. is that we're having this conversation at all... Why must we be conjecturing "this guy hooks up with this gal, and that guy should get together with that gal. AND.. ooh! don't forget, this other guy, and that other gal would be a perfect pairing."

Egle01
November 2nd, 2009, 11:03 AM
Well, I have only thing to say: More James! She rocks:indeed:

I started to like her in "Air" part 3 and she keeps proving herself to be a strong character. Even if secondary. Her reaction was great, the 'broom closet' comment was hilarious, but I didn't quite understand if she was a bit hurt, jealous or sorry for Chloe.

Mrja84
November 3rd, 2009, 05:20 PM
It will be interesting to see whether or not Scott keeps on being a contradiction throughout the series or whether he will go one way or another at some point.

I think the point of the show is that no one person is set in one mindset. They are human. Eli while still being new to everything and being in such a critical role (Rush's preferred helper) has shifted from being out of place to fitting in (ala joking in the meetings). There are still situations that will bring out his inexperience, but he has other facets to his character.

I believe the same can be said about Scott. This relationship with Chloe should not tarnished how he is perceived. Romance/flings at work happen in the military and outside of it.

At the very least, Scott isn't some sexual criminal forcing his desires on others. We don't know his relationship with James and the fact that he tries to talk about it with her shows he wanted to clear things up with her.

Having Chloe lose her dad connected with Scott cause he mentioned he lost his parent and later his guardian.

Their relationship doesn't seem to be about sex, but we cannot assume Scott is Chloe's first either. We have no reason for that assumption.

Not to mention, their intimate encounter occurred when they believed they were going to die or at least one of them.

I don't view Scott from one angle, unlike most of SG's previous characters (especially main cast) SGU is really trying to show multiple facts to these characters and I will enjoy watching it. Even if i will miss the action scenes from before.

GateroomGuard
November 3rd, 2009, 07:27 PM
I have to say I was impressed by James reaction. I was really expecting this to be the start of some horrible love triangle, or heaven forbid a quadrangle, but James showed real class in not only steping back from Scott and leaving him to Chole but stepping up by helping their relationship. I have to say I wasn't expecting that kind of honor and maturity.

Cory Holmes
November 3rd, 2009, 08:37 PM

I see it differently. I see Scott as continuously punishing himself for what he did wrong in his own eyes. It's entierly possible that he blames the death of his father-figure priest on himself for how he got that girl pregnant (which may have simply been the results of teenage hormones). It could be that he's "dealing" with that by repeating the same self-destructive/self-flaggilating behaviour over and over again.

Lord only knows (pun not intented) that there is a significant chunk of society that does that already.

That being said, I'd like to echo what other people have been saying: James just rocked in this episode. From the lines to the delivery to the expression on her face... she took her few scenes and just knocked 'em out the park!

I also use this as proof that the PTBs are painfully aware of how their previous shows were pretty much walking cliches and are now working to avoid them.

Eternal Density
November 3rd, 2009, 09:49 PM
I see it differently. I see Scott as continuously punishing himself for what he did wrong in his own eyes. It's entierly possible that he blames the death of his father-figure priest on himself for how he got that girl pregnant (which may have simply been the results of teenage hormones). It could be that he's "dealing" with that by repeating the same self-destructive/self-flaggilating behaviour over and over again.Hmm, given that she "didn't keep it" perhaps he subconsciously wants to 'fix' the situation by making it turn out the other way next time.
(wow, that was vaguely expressed!)

Captain Obvious
November 3rd, 2009, 11:05 PM

Maybe it shows how much stress he is in and how much being stranded like this is actually effecting him- he is reaching out for the comfort of someone who he feels a kinship to.