Is Naquadah Repulsive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is Naquadah Repulsive?

I've wondered about this for a while now, and since none of my searches turned up any similar threads, I'm going to post this.

While we all know that naquadah is handwavium by any other name and generally does whatever the writers need it to be able to do, can many of it's effects be attributed to the element being capable of producing a repulsive force? Perhaps a force similar to gravity but working "in the opposite direction" and over a much shorter range (tens to hundreds of metres), consequently with a much more powerful effect. So, yeah - antigravity, basically.

It might explain how shields work (powerful but highly localised repulsive field that either pushes projectiles away or holds a barrier of matter away from the hull of the ship).

It explains inertial dampeners and artifical gravity (which I would see as working by holding people down rather than pulling them down, and therefore the AG system would likely be built into ceilings) and therefore how large spacecraft can hover.

It could explain how a Stargate generates a wormhole - I seem to remember reading that 'real' wormholes are space-time being curved in the opposite direction to gravity, or in other words are formed by a repulsive counterpart to gravity (is that dark energy or am I getting things mixed up?).

It could even explain part of the Goa'uld hand device's offensive capabilities, the 'throw people across the room' function.

So, am I retreading old ground, way off or does this sound remotely plausible? LikeI said, physics isn't my strong point, so apologies if this is ridiculously wrong.
    And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.
    sigpic
    Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Originally posted by Sealurk View Post
    I've wondered about this for a while now, and since none of my searches turned up any similar threads, I'm going to post this.

While we all know that naquadah is handwavium by any other name and generally does whatever the writers need it to be able to do, can many of it's effects be attributed to the element being capable of producing a repulsive force? Perhaps a force similar to gravity but working "in the opposite direction" and over a much shorter range (tens to hundreds of metres), consequently with a much more powerful effect. So, yeah - antigravity, basically.

It might explain how shields work (powerful but highly localised repulsive field that either pushes projectiles away or holds a barrier of matter away from the hull of the ship).

It explains inertial dampeners and artifical gravity (which I would see as working by holding people down rather than pulling them down, and therefore the AG system would likely be built into ceilings) and therefore how large spacecraft can hover.

It could explain how a Stargate generates a wormhole - I seem to remember reading that 'real' wormholes are space-time being curved in the opposite direction to gravity, or in other words are formed by a repulsive counterpart to gravity (is that dark energy or am I getting things mixed up?).

It could even explain part of the Goa'uld hand device's offensive capabilities, the 'throw people across the room' function.

So, am I retreading old ground, way off or does this sound remotely plausible? LikeI said, physics isn't my strong point, so apologies if this is ridiculously wrong.
    Good points there, but wouldn't the gate repel anything approaching it then?
    sigpic
    - SteamID user since 2005 -- you can add me - visit steam translation server brazil @ Steelbox

Comment

Originally posted by Steelbox View Post
      Good points there, but wouldn't the gate repel anything approaching it then?
      Ah, yes. Maybe it's directional then, and maybe it requires the naquadah to be electrically charged.

Then again, a low level repulsive field may explain how Stargate's can withstand so much punishment!
      And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.
      sigpic
      Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Comment

You might be on to something. You need 'negative energy' to create a stable, traversable wormhole, and that's synonymous with gravitational repulsion in modern physics.
        MWG Gate Network Simulation

Looks familiar?

Comment

well a gate can take a tremendous amount of power because, well, when you nuke it when active, not only is the actual surface area very small (compared to the EH), the gate can also discharge tons of energy into the wormhole to the other side, loosing much power and thus being able to withstand nukes.

it is possible, physics do not rule out that electromagnetism and gravity are two sides of the same coin. well, right now it is assumed to be, however we can not confirm. wheter it's electromagnetism, MOND, or Dark Matter, they are all equal when being right about gravity. we simply do not know enough.

if it is true that gravity=EM, then naquahdah (which seems to have unique, possibly subspace related properties) could create a strong repulsive force by the right charge or a strong attractive force by opposite charge

Comment

Perhaps the space time in the EH is warped from the naquada?

Go Green

Comment

i think that the naquada is just used as a power supply. The glove would b on permenant "on" if that were true. U couldn,t mine it either
              The battle for the ultimate SG team: who will it be?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by soulgazer View Post
                i think that the naquada is just used as a power supply. The glove would b on permenant "on" if that were true. U couldn,t mine it either
                Presumably naquadah doesn't generate a repulsive effect (or at least not a significant effect) unless it is electrically charged.
                sigpic

Comment

The only hole thing I find in that theory is that Orilin build a mini stargate in CArter basement from some titanium and heavy duty cable bought online and a toaster.

Comment

the toaster was a joke. also, it survived only one dial, and even that dial was short-lived.

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                      the toaster was a joke. also, it survived only one dial, and even that dial was short-lived.
                      He still did it without naquadah.

Comment

Well besides her credit card bill, that was mentioned (not the actual value), we did not see her electric bill. The Naquadah is an superconductor that used a lot less power compared to other materials and Orlin could make diamond with his bare hand if he wanted maybe he did something with the materials he ordered so it would hang in there for sufficient time for only one briefly dial out.
                        sigpic
                        - SteamID user since 2005 -- you can add me - visit steam translation server brazil @ Steelbox

Comment

Originally posted by Steelbox View Post
                          Well besides her credit card bill, that was mentioned (not the actual value), we did not see her electric bill. The Naquadah is an superconductor that used a lot less power compared to other materials and Orlin could make diamond with his bare hand if he wanted maybe he did something with the materials he ordered so it would hang in there for sufficient time for only one briefly dial out.
                          For the superconductors he could buy any of the normal ones and cool them with liquid nitrogen(also available on the net). And he never made diamond with his hands he was human but with ancient memories(the others didn't let him keep the mind powers), only making rubies (or emerald forgot which) using the microwave admitently permanently frieing it in the process .

Comment

Working...
                          X