Daedalus Vs...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Daedalus Vs...

The whole Colonial fleet from nBSG pre-Cylon invasion.

The reason I make this thread is that in many Fanfics the writers like RAAB make Battlestars inferior to SG but still able to hurt them.

P.S. please state why you think *insert choice* will win and please make constructive arguments.

Thank you.

It depends if you use the visuals or the dialog. The visuals in Stargate show the Daedalus as being roughly comparable to a colonial battlestar only faster and with less numbers of weapons. The beams and missiles though make the same kind of fiery explosions on enemy hulls that you see in BSG.

The dialog on the other hand tells us things like 1000 megaton bombs and would seem to imply weapons that are much more powerful than what the visual fx show you. If you need a 1200 megaton mine to take out a Wraith hive or a 1000 megaton missile for a Ha'Tak then you're not going to damage it with popguns... and yet the visuals show Ha'taks and hives fighting with BSG style naval shell explosions.

On the BSG side it's a little bit better. You've got the visuals which are meant for the normal ship to ship weapon levels of power but you've also got visuals of absolutely massive nuclear explosions from episodes like the finale. You've also got ships like the Pegasus surviving multiple contact hits from nuclear weapons of unknown yield without any kind of shields, and in the Pegasus case, without even much damage.

On the dialog side you've got Adama threatening to destroy an entire continent with the Galactica's nuclear missiles when they find that Kobalian temple in season 2 I think it was.

If it's for a fic I'd say you can definitely go for more of a parity if you want that.

If you go by the finale nukes for example, it's unlikely the Daedalus would survive against even a single battlestar as even raptors are evidently capable of firing multiple nuclear missiles each individually powerful enough to engulf the entire ship in the fireball many times over.

On the opposite side though you can say "if a Battlestar can be damaged by nukes and non nuclear shells then it can be damaged a whole lot worse by a beam type weapon powered by a fusion reactor on crack (naquada reactor) or a nuke multiplied several thousand times by naquada".

Comment

Theres a mega thread for these is there not.

Continuing Stargate Virtual Fleet Link Below

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=63923

Comment

yup there is.

i personally think the Daedalus will win for some time, untill the shield integrity decreases (shields below 40% or so) and then it's killed rather fast. mostly because nuclear radiation kills the crew

Comment

Sorry if there was a thread for this.

And isn't the Megathread only for inter franchise battles like Ori vs. Wraith or Asgard vs. Ori.

Comment

No, you can suggest things like....this.
            If you wish to see more of my rants, diatribes, and general comments, check out my Twitter account SirRyanR!
            Check out Pharaoh Hamenthotep's wicked 3D renders here!
            If you can prove me wrong, go for it. I enjoy being proven wrong.

sigpic
            Worship the Zefron. Always the Zefron.

Comment

It would take the Daedalus about 10 minutes to beam a nuke onto each ship.

Comment

If APBW's can get through a hives armour, i'm pretty sure it will take out a Battlestar with ease. One or two beams should destroy it. But then theres raptors and vipers that'd be launched. Railguns would be able to sort out more of them but the vipers would easily take out 302s (imo).
                Oh and the nukes take a while to be ready to be launched from galactica i think? So in that time we can blow it to hell with beams.[:
                Originally posted by Giantevilhead View Post
                they might run out though.. but that'd work perfectly.

Comment

Originally posted by Giantevilhead View Post
                  They'd need an Asgard to turn the safeguards off first.

In other news more big Cylon nukes from "The Plan". They look to be only slightly less potent than the Horizon platform with some of them here. They come in all shapes in sizes though, there's even some that break up into multiple smaller bombs just like the Horizon did. It seems a base ship has anywhere from 24 to 48 missile tubes on it to.

Spoiler:

One weird thing though is that the nuke that goes off on Canceron somehow shakes that ship in orbit. Don't ask me to explain that one.

Comment

How big were those nukes, building sized? A Mk IX is the size of a sidewinder

Comment

Originally posted by mirdin1992 View Post
                      They're fired off the base stars themselves so it's a bit hard to tell, definitely bigger than a sidewinder though, maybe the size of a small car.

The thing to note though is that there's nothing obviously "special" about them like with the Horizon and naquadria. This is just their normal nuclear weaponry, nukes of various sizes ranging from pretty small to what's in those caps.

Comment

Originally posted by mirdin1992 View Post
                        mk IX would be the size of a pickup truck

Comment

Originally posted by morrismike View Post
                          mk IX would be the size of a pickup truck
                          http://stargate.wikia.com/wiki/Mark_IX

thats no pickup truck and for a bomb of a yield of 812 GT(ultra low conservative yield) to multi-terraton that is pretty small size.

Note: even if we take the 812 GT of TNT calculation it would take about 19 tons of both matter and antimatter instantly annihilating itself to generate that kind of energy and a fission bomb if only 0.7% as efficient as a AM bomb and would take 2714 Tons of Hydrogen instantly fusing in helium atoms to generate that kind of energy.

Naquadria has an energy potential 760 times if that of a M-AM reaction(note this is true if the Mark IX has 50 kg of naquadriah theirs reason to presume theirs a lot less that that). By extension naquadah is no slouch either with some traces of raw naquadah put in a 375 Kt nuclear warhead it raised the yield 2,500 times to a GT level bomb.

In other words the Daedalus wins because it has applied Phelobutonium(naquadah,naquadriah), Ubatonium(naquadah and trinium with 100 times lighter and stronger than steel) and shields, inertial dampeners, and sublight drives that can make 0.25c-0.50c in a reasonable amount of time. If they wanted to the colonials wouldn't even catch them.

Comment

It's not even a close fight, unless the Daedalus chooses to lower it's shields for some reason. We know that conventional nuclear weapons are worthless against even a Ha'taks shields. The Daedalus shields are MUCH more powerful than that.

While you could just keep making bigger and more powerful nukes if your first ones were ineffective. I realistically don't think BG has the firepower to punch thru the Daedalus shields, while it itself would still be vulnerable to all Daedalus weapons.

Even more so as stated earlier.... Daedalus is superior in essential EVERY way imaginable.

302's would rip vipers apart... Vipers are prone to the effects of inertia and gravity. 302's have devices on board that make piloting one more akin to something from Star Wars. It's not even a competition.

The only thing i'm unsure of is the exact size of BG compared to Daedalus.

By the way, you guys and these Beam weapons kill me.

Yes, they are awesome.. and they have proved extremely effective at cutting a path of wanton destruction thru space thus far. But the thing is.. you don't know how they work. There is no way of knowing how effective they will be after someone clever studies them and makes modifications specifically designed to stop them.
                            That is all it will take to make them worthless, one enemy to think up a clever way to stop them.
                            Remember the asgard built the things... not us, and they aren't around any more. If we need modifications outside the specified blueprints.. there will be issues.
                            Last edited by Kailias; 25 October 2009, 09:19 AM. Reason: 302's vs Vipers

Comment

Originally posted by Kailias View Post
                              302's would rip vipers apart... Vipers are prone to the effects of inertia and gravity. 302's have devices on board that make piloting one more akin to something from Star Wars. It's not even a competition.
                              I can generally agree with the rest, aside from the Daedalus being immune to nukes, but generally if you go with the implications of things like Naquada and such the Daedalus does come out ahead. BSG has it's own magic mineral as well, Tyllium, but we don't know as much about it. If you go with pure visuals from the shows though they're more or less equal, so if the OP wants to write a fanfic that doesn't just wank off stargate there's room to do that to.

There's nothing I've seen or heard to make me think a 302 is going to rip through vipers though. It's actually because they fly like they're in an atmosphere that they'll be at a disadvantage against vipers that can fire off axis. Nothing I've seen in any of the dogfights, and that is the way they do it in SG as well, dogfighting, made me thing "wow these things are a lot better than vipers".

You can quote all the tech they're supposed to have but if it isn't really reflected in their performance for whatever reason then evidently it doesn't really count for much.

Comment

Working...
                              X