This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SciFi: Shanks welcomes Browder to SG1

reprinted from http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire2005/index.php?id=30016; click on link for full text

Shanks Welcomes Browder To SG-1

December 22, 2004

Stargate SG-1
    star Michael Shanks told SCI FI Wire that he was pleased to hear that Farscape's Ben Browder would be joining the cast of the SCI FI Channel series when it kicks off its ninth season next year. "I'm a big fan of stirring the pot," Shanks said in an interview. "Not that we've become complacent, but I'm a big fan of introducing new elements."

Browder joins the cast as a new character, a seasoned lieutenant colonel who becomes the latest member of SG-1. "We've worked on the show for many years, and we've worked with the same three other actors," Shanks said, referring to co-stars Amanda Tapping, Christopher Judge and Richard Dean Anderson. "If it's just those four people on the screen, yeah, we could have a great rapport, but when you introduce a new element you always have that inhale of breath. It's like, 'Ooh, what's this going to do?' That's what guest stars are for. You get complacent when you sit on your butt too long and you work with the same group of people. You get used to the dynamic, and you get spoiled and lazy. I think introducing a new element tests you, and it also shakes it up a little bit. And I think, without taking anything too much away, the introduction of a new person is going to up the stakes and sort of have everybody doing a tapdance to figure out where this is all going to fit."

[mod snip]
    Last edited by Darren; 22 December 2004, 04:45 PM.

Yeah I just read that article at GW. I think MS is right. Although it's nice to see our regular characters, it can be exciting to see new actors sometimes aswell. I just hope TPTB handle the introduction of these new characters well

Comment

Michael's comments do him credit. A good actor, secure within himself and his place in the ...uh.. ahem....universe. Not at all threatened, but excited. Nice. Very Nice.

I wish I could give him a green rep point.
      "You cannot reason with your own heart;
      it has it's own laws and beats about things
      which the intellect scorns."
      - Mark Twain -

Comment

I agree with Shanks.

Comment

Nice to read that MS is a “big fan of introducing new elements.” Now if he can just convince tptb to add a new writer or two to liven up the staff. They needed a new cast member last season, imo, but with the go of season 9, they seriously needed someone new. Hopefully a new cast member can help reinvigorate the veteran cast members and the writing staff.

“My job is to find out how we can work together and how it's going to be positive and what kinds of good stories we can tell. If his reputation in that regard is spot-on, that's all I care about, and it sounds like he's got a positive reputation."

I like that positive outlook by MS. I hope it holds true, especially the part about the good stories.
          IMO always implied.

Comment

Originally posted by LoneStar1836
            Nice to read that MS is a “big fan of introducing new elements.” Now if he can just convince tptb to add a new writer or two to liven up the staff.
            They've already got one hanging around in the form of CJ, maybe we'll see more stuff from him. I read BB has written as well...

Comment

Originally posted by blingaway
              They've already got one hanging around in the form of CJ, maybe we'll see more stuff from him. I read BB has written as well...
              Don't forget Michael. He wrote "Resurrection".

One of my favorite episodes of the series is “The Changeling” which Chris had a hand in writing, but his stories usually deal with the Jaffa, and I have a feeling they are probably going to wrap up that story line this season. Or get close to a resolution dealing with the rebellion. Plus he’s not exactly “new blood”. Someone with fresh eyes. A different perspective.

Ben penned one of my favorite episodes of Farscape, “Green Eyed Monster”, plus another, not so favorite, which he must have been on an acid trip when he wrote. I don’t see them letting him write his first season on the show. They seem very protective of the franchise since they don’t seem to have sought out any new major writers. Maybe it’s a money issue. Who knows.
              IMO always implied.

Comment

Originally posted by Lonestar
                Ben penned one of my favorite episodes of Farscape, “Green Eyed Monster”, plus another, not so favorite, which he must have been on an acid trip when he wrote. I don’t see them letting him write his first season on the show. They seem very protective of the franchise since they don’t seem to have sought out any new major writers. Maybe it’s a money issue. Who knows.
                I'm not sure they'll let Ben write an episode either but it will be interesting to see if they let him "pitch" some ideas after he's been around awhile. He probably has a better chance to write something if they go to a 10th season.

"Green-Eyed Monster" was one of my favorite episodes as well. "John Quixote" was weird but I give Ben points for originality. And Aeryn as the lisping southern belle was kind of entertaining.

I'd love CJ to write again - hope he gets the chance but as you say the Jaffa storyline may be wrapping up this season.

I think all the current writers are capable of writing good episodes. They just have to be stressed from writing for two shows at this point and I think they might benefit from some new eyes looking at the old characters. I *do* think the addition of the new actors to SG-1 might add a new dynamic that will be fun for the writers to play with. I sure hope so, anyway.
                Life is hard...and it's harder if you're stupid

Comment

TPTB might wrap up the Jaffa rebellion, but there may be new Jaffa issues to contend with: pockets of disatisfied factions and insurgents, territorial disputes, mass concerns about mojo. I think TPTB will at least keep the Jaffa issues in reserve.

Later,
                  Graculus

Comment

Originally posted by LoneStar1836
                    Don't forget Michael. He wrote "Resurrection".
                    D'oh! And I call myself a fan...

Comment

Originally posted by Kes
                      I think all the current writers are capable of writing good episodes. They just have to be stressed from writing for two shows at this point and I think they might benefit from some new eyes looking at the old characters. I *do* think the addition of the new actors to SG-1 might add a new dynamic that will be fun for the writers to play with. I sure hope so, anyway.
                      Ditto. I definitely think the current writers are capable of writing compelling stories if they have the time to craft them and work out the kinks, but since they are writing for two series, time is of the essence. They seem to be stretching themselves thin. Comparing the first half of the season of both series, I think more effort has gone into Atlantis. It is the new series and should get the attention so it can succeed, but I don’t want SG-1 to get the shaft at the same time. Since SG-1 is the older series, they seem to have gotten more complacent about it.

I don’t know. I just think they ought to add a new writer or two, but then again those writers may suck, and I wouldn’t like their style of writing. But Brad Wright stated in the recent Chicago Tribune article that they still had plenty of off-world stories to tell so maybe they could layout the basic outline of a story and let a new guy flesh it out while they work on other stuff.

I just imagine they are too pressed for time and are thus not as sharp and deliberate in writing for SG-1. To me it doesn’t feel like the same quality of earlier years. I know early seasons had their duds, but last season and the first half of this season had more average, run-of-the-mill episodes than exceptional episodes along with several sub par episodes. But that’s just me. The writing is not as sharp, and it’s getting a little stale, imo. Hopefully, new actors/characters will get the creativity flowing more, but it may not put a halt to some of the sloppy writing.

I'd love CJ to write again - hope he gets the chance but as you say the Jaffa storyline may be wrapping up this season.
                      I like CJ’s writing (just not too fond of Ishta). I bet they let him write another story or two; it just may not have the heavy Jaffa influence, but that would all depend on just how much of that story arc they get tied up this season. It sounds like they are trying to cover all the bases and start fresh in season 9 or that’s the impression I get when reading some of these interviews.

"Green-Eyed Monster" was one of my favorite episodes as well. "John Quixote" was weird but I give Ben points for originality. And Aeryn as the lisping southern belle was kind of entertaining.
                      It was original. Course I don’t know why I didn’t like it more because I absolutely love “Won’t Get Fooled Again”. CB was a hoot in “DQ”. Don’t think I’ve ever heard an Aussie, other than her, try to fake a Scarlet O’Hara accent. At least I could enjoy her humorous take on it much more than when Hollywood “tries” to fake a “genuine” Southern accent.

Originally posted by blingaway
                      D'oh! And I call myself a fan...
                      For shame, for shame.
                      IMO always implied.

Comment

Working...
                      X