Walking throught the stargate?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Walking throught the stargate?

Once you have walked halfway through the Stargate, you would need to place pressure on the front leg to finish your step, but your front foot is already in the Stargate. We also know that the foot isn't on the other side, because your whole body has to be inside the wormhole before it will transport you. So what are you stepping on inside the "puddle?"

And yes, I registered just to post this question .

momentum
    Originally posted by Craig Charles
    "And the 'replicator' has just entered Sir Killalot's corner and Killalot is...urm...wait a minute... Sir Killalot has just been eaten by the 'replicator' and now there's two of them..."

Comment

While half-way through, half of your body is in the buffer. Buffer has to be either a bubble-space or a fully simulated virtual reality. If it wasn't, sticking your hand into the event horizon would result in severe blood loss, as well as any number of other problems.

So we can only assume that there is an equivalent of a floor inside the event buffer space.
      MWG Gate Network Simulation

Looks familiar?

Comment

Originally posted by ksoviero View Post
        Once you have walked halfway through the Stargate, you would need to place pressure on the front leg to finish your step, but your front foot is already in the Stargate. We also know that the foot isn't on the other side, because your whole body has to be inside the wormhole before it will transport you. So what are you stepping on inside the "puddle?"
        The more important question is, once your head is through the event horizon, how do you keep walking if your head is dematerialized?

If you tripped and fell on your way into the gate with your ass and legs still sticking out, does the gate "suck" you in, or do you just die in 38 minutes if no one helps you?
        Secretary-General of GATO ¤ Defender of F.O.R.D.

Comment

Originally posted by Major Tyler View Post
          The more important question is, once your head is through the event horizon, how do you keep walking if your head is dematerialized?

If you tripped and fell on your way into the gate with your ass and legs still sticking out, does the gate "suck" you in, or do you just die in 38 minutes if no one helps you?
          Actually the funnier question is.....did these problems occur when the stargates were first being invented? I mean can you imagine.......

Ancient Scientist: OK so we're going to go ahead with the first test.....

*Dials the gate and goes up to his brave lab assistant*

Ancient Scientist: Ok remember don't worry. We've tested this thing on a smaller scale with mice and they all came through fine. Just exhale when you step through and don't be alarmed if you're covered with frost on the other side. That's just a little wrinkle I need to iron out.

Lab assistant: Ok sir....but how will I get back?

Ancient Scientist: ...
          ................................................................Well good luck.

*Ushers his assistant towards the gate. He walks boldly towards the event horizon and puts his head through first...........The rest of his body goes limp and crumples with half of his body inside the gate an the other half out*

Ancient Scientist: Ah...................I didn't think of that..............I'll put that on the to-do list............can someone push the rest of him through please?
          Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

What I want to know is, when you stick your arm in the Gate, like O'Neill/ Eli have done, your blood is still being pumped around your body, and eventually it'll reach your arm, and enter the event horizon where it'll dematerialise. So, if you stand there for long enough, your body is going to loose a lot of blood. And your arm'll start feeling pins and needles.

And when you pull your arm out, it would be swollen from all the blood pumped in, but not out.

Originally posted by Major Tyler

Didn't that happen on Atlantis' version of 38 minutes, where the PJ was stuck in the Gate? One of the cast was halfway in/out the Gate, without responding until he was pulled out.

Comment

the idea is simply, that if you stick something in, it is essentially in some form of virtual space where it acts like you just stick your arm through without being dematerialised.

the entire episode 38 minutes revolved around this buffer system, so i guess you need to re-watch that

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                the idea is simply, that if you stick something in, it is essentially in some form of virtual space where it acts like you just stick your arm through without being dematerialised.

the entire episode 38 minutes revolved around this buffer system, so i guess you need to re-watch that
                No, the buffer was a storage device, where Teal'c was kept dematerialised. There was nothing to suggest he was whole and physically there in subspace, and just needed the event horizon openning to come through.

Comment

What I want to know is, when you stick your arm in the Gate, like O'Neill/ Eli have done, your blood is still being pumped around your body, and eventually it'll reach your arm, and enter the event horizon where it'll dematerialise. So, if you stand there for long enough, your body is going to loose a lot of blood. And your arm'll start feeling pins and needles.
                  Does anybody actually read the thread? I explain how this works in 3rd post.

Looks familiar?

Comment

Originally posted by K^2 View Post
                    Does anybody actually read the thread? I explain how this works in 3rd post.
                    You don't explain, you assume!
                    And even if you did, so what? We can still speculate and have a conversation, can't we?
                    sigpic

Comment

Operation of the buffer is very well explained through the show.

Looks familiar?

Comment

Theres the weird thing, Grodin explains it so that the gate will wait for all the contigious components of anything entering as it transmits in discreet units. But the way ford was left there with an arm sticking out doesn't allow for that to make sense, when he was pulled out he said something like that was weird, indicating he couldn't move which would mean that part of his body was de-materialised.

This then shows that when something enters the event horizon that it must dematerialise, but is reformed when it is pulled back out.

We know that any forward momentum is maintained when moving through, and have seen when Teal'c put the coffin of Apophis back through the stargate to send to Sokar, he let go of the box and it slowly was pulled inside, as if being drawn in by the EH.

So why wasn't ford slowly pulled inside?

Either one, or both, are continuity errors on the part of the writers it seems.

Comment

Ford should have been able to step out. Things in the buffer aren't 'stuck' until it is ready to send.

Looks familiar?

Comment

I personally like the "virtual reality" scheme. Take the blood pumping in and out of a arm stuck in the event horizon: I might imagine that the gate is "running a program" that models your arm, so that blood going into the event horizon is also coming back out. This might explain why when you stick your arm in the event horizon the arm comes out at a different angle to the event horizon than when it when in. After all, the arm comes out in a different state; otherwise each time you put your arm in, it would become severed. This might also explain why a gate traveler "sees" the wormhole even though they are dematerialized. (assuming that the traveler sees the "through the stargate" clip)
                            Colorado Springs has a zoo. It does not have an O'Malley's.

Comment

Yeah. The only question, in my mind, is whether this is a virtual reality simulated by a computer, or a pocket of sub-space of some sort. I like the former version better, because it explains how the information about an object can be stored in the crystals.

Looks familiar?

Comment

Working...
                              X