The Physics of the Zat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Physics of the Zat

Aside from being the best weapon ever, i've always wondered about the physics behind them. Obviously, with them being a creation of a sci fi show, noone can actually explain the physics, but what's with the wiggly thing around the main beam? If it's just to make it look cool then it's pretty annoying.

actually it's pretty easy. the head contains a small laser that ionizes the air, tunneling an electrically conductive path, after which a bolt of electricity discharges

Comment

So how much power would it take to disintegrate a human body? And would a third of that power just render you unconscious?

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
        actually it's pretty easy. the head contains a small laser that ionizes the air, tunneling an electrically conductive path, after which a bolt of electricity discharges
        You need at least two paths, and maser would work much better for ionization.

Side note: Do we ever see Zat'ni'katels used in vacuum? Because that would completely deny such modum operandi.
        MWG Gate Network Simulation

Looks familiar?

Comment

no i don't think we ever see any weapon fired in space with the exception of a Lucian alliance side arm

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWmw1u2to5M

Currently recruiting new staff

Comment

Originally posted by [J0K3R] View Post
            So how much power would it take to disintegrate a human body? And would a third of that power just render you unconscious?
            Third shot? Disintegration? I have no idea what you're talking about...*cough*retcon*cough*

It wouldn't necessarily have to be a third of the power. It could be exponential increase, or simply pre-definied power levels. Sci-fi physics aside, there's no reason the zat's third shot (if they still had them ever had them...) couldn't be thousands of times the power of the first.

As for how much it'd take...a lot, if it could even be done. And you'd still have residue. The 3rd shot doesn't make much sense at all, which is why it became the subject of a "let us never talk of this again" change to the show.
            And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.
            sigpic
            Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Comment

Yes but it was specifically stated as first shot stun second shot kill, it's not a switchable setting, therefor meaning the blast is of the same strength every time. Firing two shots in rapid succession at two targets would render both unconscious, but fire those same two shots at one target and they are dead. I never really noticed that they didn't bring it up again. One question I did always have was how long is it before the effects of a zat shot wear off enough for you to be shot again without dying?

Comment

Yes but it was specifically stated as first shot stun second shot kill, it's not a switchable setting, therefor meaning the blast is of the same strength every time. Firing two shots in rapid succession at two targets would render both unconscious, but fire those same two shots at one target and they are dead. I never really noticed that they didn't bring it up again. One question I did always have was how long is it before the effects of a zat shot wear off enough for you to be shot again without dying?
                No idea. Probably 5-15 minutes, about when a target usually wakes up. Granted when someone wakes up, or even is fully rendered unconsciousness is dependent upon the plot. For Jack it just floors him with some discomfort, so he can deliver that mocking one-liner.

Comment

I was always under the impression that is works like this.

Shot one stuns, a charge is faintly built.

Shot two kills, the charge accumulates further.

Shot three adds further to the charge and disconnects the bonds of the person/objects molecules.

Comment

Originally posted by dahok View Post
                    No idea. Probably 5-15 minutes, about when a target usually wakes up. Granted when someone wakes up, or even is fully rendered unconsciousness is dependent upon the plot. For Jack it just floors him with some discomfort, so he can deliver that mocking one-liner.
                    I like to think that you build up an immunity to the effects after being shot several times. But yeah, that one episode with Seth completely blows that out of the water.

Comment

actually the Nish'ta took some of the electric blast.

essentially the first shot slightly damages your nerves and essentially makes your body go to a state to repair.

the second damages the nerve system to the point of death.

sometimes, it might not perfectly stun you. also, some might have a natural increased resistance

Comment

meh ronons gun is way better just need some sights

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWmw1u2to5M

Currently recruiting new staff

Comment

SG-1 somewhere runs into an alien who is immune to zat fire.
                          Last edited by AnthonyAppleyard; 29 October 2014, 05:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by AnthonyAppleyard View Post
                            SG-1 somewhere runs into an alien who is immune t0 zat fire.
                            The only two people who could take zats were Aris Boch and the kull warrior and both wore armor that could take it.

sigpic
                            Stargate spin off series: Stargate Millennium
                            https://www.fanfiction.net/u/5580179/StargateMillennium

Comment

umm lets not forget vala in kull warrior armor
                              sigpicRequiescat in pace Weedle

Comment

Working...
                              X