Why is it everyone uses Staff Weapons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why is it everyone uses Staff Weapons

Why is it that all of SG-1's enemies use Staff weapons Ori/Jaffa Why not swords or machine guns? Lets thing about what weapons we can build for footsoldiers any ideas.

I came up with this for my fanfic. The Trinium Katana.
    The Katana is a japanese sword. The Samurai's sword its been around for thousands of years. It is both light and powerful. A good weapon for an enemy. From what I understand it is one of the best swords in the world.

Making it out of Trinium it should(theoretically) cut through just about anything even the Jaffa/Ori staff weapons. For close combat.

Also altering the hilt it could fire energy shots like staff weapons. Since Firing mechanisms of the staff weapons was only on the top installing it on the Trinium Katana gives you a weapon for long range and short range.
    Stargate Revival Please!

or wait, we take the technology of a staff weapon and put it in a gun shape.

Comment

Or better yet use our advanced technology to make a much better weapon...
      Robert Jastrow (self-proclaimed agnostic): "For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries."

Comment

Like the Gunkatana from one of the anime cartoons??

Comment

LOL sounds like a "gunblade" (FF8) to me

Comment

well, i had ideas for my stargate stories on how the races adapt with new weapons. My race of Alesians for one have energy armor, wrist plasma weapons, and antimatter grenades. They can target stuff with their helmets though, and their deployable staff weapons hit targets up to 2 miles away.
            sigpic

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4907261/1/Golden_Dawn

^ My new fanfic ^ Enjoy and please subscribe!

(Shameless advertising ftw)

Comment

Originally posted by YutheGreat View Post
              Why is it that all of SG-1's enemies use Staff weapons Ori/Jaffa Why not swords or machine guns? Lets thing about what weapons we can build for footsoldiers any ideas.

I came up with this for my fanfic. The Trinium Katana.
              The Katana is a japanese sword. The Samurai's sword its been around for thousands of years. It is both light and powerful. A good weapon for an enemy. From what I understand it is one of the best swords in the world.

Making it out of Trinium it should(theoretically) cut through just about anything even the Jaffa/Ori staff weapons. For close combat.

Also altering the hilt it could fire energy shots like staff weapons. Since Firing mechanisms of the staff weapons was only on the top installing it on the Trinium Katana gives you a weapon for long range and short range.
              a better sword would be one honed to the thickness of a single atom like the one ba'al used in continuum. now that sword could cut through anything, and would be 1000 times better than one made out of trinium.

and also, although swords are an effective weapon that could kill a jaffa, i dont see the point of forcing the soilder to get in close to the jaffa to fight hand to hand when he could just shoot him. i mean it would be like taking a giant step backwards when we should be taking a couple steps forward.

and an awsome weapon would be a smart gun that works like any normal rifle except that it is equiped with a sensor device that locks onto enemy targets and fires a single smart bullet that blows the enemy up and has a 99.99% accuracy rate and an effective range of over a mile and as close as you want to get, but then youd end up with jaffa soup all over you. and it would also be programed so that you dont really have to even be pointing at the target but just wait till the sensor gets a lock and then fire a smart bullet and it would immediatels track directly to the target, just like a drone or the staff weapons used in andromeda.

also, i think that one of the biggest failings of the staff weapon is that it lacks any sort of scope or aiming device that would allow greater accuracy over longer range. now if you combine a sighting device, with a staff weapon except shorten it so that its more likea traditional rifle, sort of like what the sodan did with them, then it would be a much better and practical weapon.
              STARGATE ROCKS

THERE IS NO BETTER SHOW

Comment

Originally posted by stargater1990 View Post
                a better sword would be one honed to the thickness of a single atom like the one ba'al used in continuum. now that sword could cut through anything, and would be 1000 times better than one made out of trinium.
                It could have a blade like that but made with Trinium.

and also, although swords are an effective weapon that could kill a jaffa, i dont see the point of forcing the soilder to get in close to the jaffa to fight hand to hand when he could just shoot him. i mean it would be like taking a giant step backwards when we should be taking a couple steps forward.
                It can be use as an energy weapon. Like the staff weapon this sword can be used both ways. I imagine it to have a blade on one side hiddenin the sheath while the firing mechanism is at the handle. While in long range the blade is hidden and one uses it like a short staff weapon. When they try to take you in close combat you pull out the sword and hack away at your enemies.

and an awsome weapon would be a smart gun that works like any normal rifle except that it is equiped with a sensor device that locks onto enemy targets and fires a single smart bullet that blows the enemy up and has a 99.99% accuracy rate and an effective range of over a mile and as close as you want to get, but then youd end up with jaffa soup all over you. and it would also be programed so that you dont really have to even be pointing at the target but just wait till the sensor gets a lock and then fire a smart bullet and it would immediatels track directly to the target, just like a drone or the staff weapons used in andromeda.
                Like the Baby drones in the annoying girl episode.
                Stargate Revival Please!

Comment

actually a smart gun is already being developed. it fires a small laser which measures the distance, and then fires a precisely timed grenade. old SG corridor combat = no more

Comment

do you mean this one?
                    Spoiler:

that project was cancelled some time around 2002...

there was research into a steerable bullet for the m82, but I'm not sure how that's going
                    sigpic

Comment

no, i read somewhere about it recently.

might be related somehow

Comment

probably is, it seems like there's always something like that in the works.
                        sigpic

Comment

The Jaffa/crusaders use staff-based weapons because their masters (the Goa'uld and Ori, respectively) want to intimidate their foes into submission without having to fight and risk losing. Thus, all their "guns," ships, armor, etc. is based around instilling fear in their opponents instead of offering the absolute best in terms of offensive and defensive power.

In short, does it make sense from a tactical perspective? Not really. Did it work for both of them? Yes, until they came up against enemies who refused to let their fears control them.
                          Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
                          Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

You are also forgetting that even if a blade could be made this sharp, it would still require significant force to go through denser materials. For most things this is more physical strength than is feasible from a human form.

Comment

Guns > Swords.

That's why nobody uses swords anymore in battle.

Longe range combat > close combat.

But, as stated in previous episodes, especially the one proving our guns are better than theirs, Staff Weapons are a weapon of fear. It's more terrifying seeing a flaming ball of energy blow up your house, then it is to see the result of (virtually) invisible pieces of metal poking holes in things.

Comment

Working...
                              X