Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Isn't Earth invulnerable to attack?

I was working on my fanfic when I realized

Why didn't we use Arthur's mantle to defend us against the Superhive? Using the Phase shift technology the superhive wouldn't have hit us in Atlantis season ender. We have extra ZPMs lying around.
    Stargate Revival Please!

Originally posted by YutheGreat View Post
    I was working on my fanfic when I realized

Why didn't we use Arthur's mantle to defend us against the Superhive? Using the Phase shift technology the superhive wouldn't have hit us in Atlantis season ender. We have extra ZPMs lying around.
    To the best of my knowledge the arthur's mantle thing had only ever been done in alternate realities, not in the one 'our' SG-1 and atlantis occupy. Its possible that it has yet to be thought of.

Comment

Originally posted by SmallTimePerson View Post
      To the best of my knowledge the arthur's mantle thing had only ever been done in alternate realities, not in the one 'our' SG-1 and atlantis occupy. Its possible that it has yet to be thought of.
      And the only reason it was possible in the alternate reality was because the Stargate program had gone public after Goa'uld attacks and they had been able to get all power grids hooked into the SGC so that they could draw power from all of America instead of just the normal power requirements.
      Daniel to Thor: Wait, you're actually saying you need someone dumber then you are?
      Jack: You may have come to the right place.

Comment

i hope the Mantle was lost in the kamikaze attack

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
          i hope the Mantle was lost in the kamikaze attack
          If that didn't work, there's a very easy way of dealing with it: have the plot provide intelligence to the enemy so they steal/destroy it.

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy Tom View Post
            If that didn't work, there's a very easy way of dealing with it: have the plot provide intelligence to the enemy so they steal/destroy it.
            But then the enemy could be invulnerable haha.
            Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
            Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Originally posted by MathiasE View Post
              And the only reason it was possible in the alternate reality was because the Stargate program had gone public after Goa'uld attacks and they had been able to get all power grids hooked into the SGC so that they could draw power from all of America instead of just the normal power requirements.
              But the power generating capability of the United States is pretty pathetic when compared to the power generated by a ZPM. The entire planet only uses about 15 terawatts of power.

Comment

Originally posted by s09119 View Post
                But then the enemy could be invulnerable haha.
                Well then, you can add the totally plausible event that the Mantle is hit with a bullet (or more) by some MP trying to stop the escaping con artists.

Instances like these serve both reality and plot.

Comment

or the device fails and blows up, at random, at which carter adds a rather obvious "well, it was old"

Comment

It would seem Earth has lost alot of fire power, Ancient Control Chair was Earths Primary weapon, however with the Apollo, SunTzu and Hammond they have 3 ships that are atleast equiped to engage any enemys

Obviously the Odyssey and Daedalus have other objectives that the protection of earth but aslong as one of the others is in orbit then Earth is not as vulnerable as made out to be.

Remember the Lucian Alliance are really the only threat we know about who could muster a fleet to attack, others are unknown to make any assumptions.

Comment

It was done in anothre reality. Even though it was our Sam who did it, it wasn't set up, the US power grid wasnt hooked to Area 51

Go Green

Comment

The power requirement would easily be solved by the ZPM. By my count, we have 6 ZPMs.

When the Replicators took atlantis captured 3 ZPMs distributed: SGC(exactly for the defense of Earth), Atlantis and Odyssey
                        We lost the Atlantis one in when Atlantis escape the planet but was recovered when Shepard stole one from them when Wier died.
                        We retook at least 2 more from Todd.
                        Anyone of them could power the mantle for the planet.

Hopefully, it did get blown up by the Dart saves me the trouble of planning an excuse for the invasion. (in my fic)
                        Stargate Revival Please!

Comment

i surely hope it was blown up by the darts.

and yes, a ZPM, even a 1% ZPM should be able to hide earth.

which makes me think. the mantle requires almost no power. the entire US powergrid, can hide the entire PLANET? any idea how massive a planet is compared to a ship?

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                            i surely hope it was blown up by the darts.

and yes, a ZPM, even a 1% ZPM should be able to hide earth.

which makes me think. the mantle requires almost no power. the entire US powergrid, can hide the entire PLANET? any idea how massive a planet is compared to a ship?
                            I just remember the time Carter and Mitchelle first used that thing they hid an entir planet with 2 Naquada generators. So why did we need the US power grid.
                            Stargate Revival Please!

Comment

Originally posted by YutheGreat View Post
                              I just remember the time Carter and Mitchelle first used that thing they hid an entir planet with 2 Naquada generators. So why did we need the US power grid.
                              they hid the villiage not the planet they had a short time before the ori flattened there town they used a ori crystal as a temp power source

i just think it was stupid how sheppard would rather use a 302 than wait for a while in the ancient chair, even if the darts came he would of picked them off more easily and take down the superhive
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X