any thoughts to how the wraith took out the Lantean satellites

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

any thoughts to how the wraith took out the Lantean satellites

any thoughts to how the wraith took them out, i believe they had hives at far range send in thousands of darts to hit them one at a time
    time doesn't go in a linear path like everyone thinks, time is a ball of timey wimey wibbly wobblely uh....

Google won't search for Chuck Norris because it knows you don't find Chuck Norris, he finds you.
    sigpic

thats proboly how they did it, using vastly superior numbers to such an extent that the satalite could destroy a hive ship or other ship every couple of seconds but not before they could do serious damage.

although, i am curious as to whether the satalite had any sort of shield but that it was just not opperational because it does seem like a pretty weak design if it dosent even have a shield because as powerful as it was, it wouldnt last long without a shield.
    STARGATE ROCKS

THERE IS NO BETTER SHOW

Comment

maybe any thought of over arrogence, since they thought their weapons would destroy any treat no problem, so they thought no sheilds are needed
      time doesn't go in a linear path like everyone thinks, time is a ball of timey wimey wibbly wobblely uh....

Google won't search for Chuck Norris because it knows you don't find Chuck Norris, he finds you.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by the-alguroan View Post
        maybe any thought of over arrogence, since they thought their weapons would destroy any treat no problem, so they thought no sheilds are needed
        no that just dosent make sense to me. i mean they put shields on their ships even though they had drones which would own any other ship in seconds, i just think that there had to be more than we saw because even though the weapon sliced a hive in half in one shot, that kind of fire power would be useless if it only lasted for a few minutes, if that, without a shield if under heavy fire from the wraith.

and i dont think id call the ancients arrogant, more like over confident.
        STARGATE ROCKS

THERE IS NO BETTER SHOW

Comment

Most likely by overwhelming the satellite. Even if the sat. had shields, I doubt it could stand very long with a Wraith fleet firing at it.
          If you wish to see more of my rants, diatribes, and general comments, check out my Twitter account SirRyanR!
          Check out Pharaoh Hamenthotep's wicked 3D renders here!
          If you can prove me wrong, go for it. I enjoy being proven wrong.

sigpic
          Worship the Zefron. Always the Zefron.

Comment

Why would the Ancients build dozens of large satellites able to cut Hives in half with ease and leave it vulnerable to things like groups of darts by not shielding it?! Where's the logic in that?

It most certainly did have a shield however a Mark I was likely insufficient to raise it. We know the 10,000 year old damaged model without shields if the weapon worked correctly could have taken out the 3 Hives so a brand new one powered by a proper Ancient powersource could probably own entire fleets. The only way I can see the Wraith taking it out is with massive numbers, this was litterally the last stretch of the war where almost everything was focused on Atlantis so it stands to reason huge numbers of Hives were involved.
            Robert Jastrow (self-proclaimed agnostic): "For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries."

Comment

At which point they probably were churning out ships with the power of the stolen ZPMs, and possibly more. That and practically any power source (geothermal, close proximity to a star, etc.) that would allow mass production of ships.
              Plus cunning. Depending on the satellite's main weapon, if it had only one emitter, even when fully functional, then appearing all around one would allow the Wraith to shoot at it without loosing too much numbers too fast.

As a sidenote, I suppose the range of these platforms would have been phenomenal, since their number was rather low and their position was about "more scattered than trees in a desert." Something like a tenth or a hundredth of AU wouldn't surprise me, otherwise the Wraith would just fly far enough, or jump behind them.
              The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

answer is really simple. two utterly simple options:

1: make a cruiser exit hyperspace 10m away from it.
                2: take a hive and fire from a massive distance. no range in space.

possible 3rd option: they entered hyperspace with their cruisers inside an asteroid field and then dropped out in the lantean system, sending forth the rocks at massive speeds.

Comment

Darts is probably how it was done. The satellites only seem to have one weapon and that weapon is basically useless on something as tiny and nimble as a fighter.

If they wanted to get more creative about it they could stop at the edge of the system and have the dart get a huge run up like the one that dropped off Wraith Bob. Then just kamikaze them that way. You could also turn a scout ship into a giant flying bomb.

Comment

If there was only one gun, then the wraith probably attacked from the direction the gun wasn't pointing in.
                    Warning: This post may not be meant to be taken seriously.

Comment

In numbers and remember the weapons had to charge up.

Comment

maby it had anti fighter guns but the genrator could only power one so they went with the anti hive gun

Comment

that's ridiculous. fighter guns do not take up quadrillions of watts

Comment

Ancient powersources are the best we've witnessed, even non ZPM generators last 10,000 years powering systems e.g. Aurora. I doubt there would be much of a charge time at all for the main gun or guns on the satellite and any point defence wouldn't be power intensive at all judging by how easily Darts get taken out.
                            Robert Jastrow (self-proclaimed agnostic): "For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries."

Comment

which is what i said. anti-dart defences do not cost quadrillions of watts. the impact on charge time is neglectible.

i doubt it was more than a capacitor bank, sensor array and big friggin gun.

Comment

Working...
                              X