Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How does the Asgard beaming technology work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How does the Asgard beaming technology work?

Now, I know nobody has an answer for this, but I was wondering how you guys thought it might work?

How are they able to lock on to someone and transport them to another location, without any device at the persons end. How does the transporter even get a hold of them?

I understand the ring transporter, someone goes into it, and it spits them out the other side... but the Asgard transporter just picks them up from nothing. No other devices sending the single to the ship, etc.

Out of all the technology shown in Stargate, I find the Asgard transporter to be one of the most strange/unlikely.

Sorry if a thread like this already exists, I just couldn't find it.

Originally posted by Alan Wake View Post
    Now, I know nobody has an answer for this, but I was wondering how you guys thought it might work?

How are they able to lock on to someone and transport them to another location, without any device at the persons end. How does the transporter even get a hold of them?

I understand the ring transporter, someone goes into it, and it spits them out the other side... but the Asgard transporter just picks them up from nothing. No other devices sending the single to the ship, etc.

Out of all the technology shown in Stargate, I find the Asgard transporter to be one of the most strange/unlikely.

Sorry if a thread like this already exists, I just couldn't find it.

heres my theory as to how it works: i think that the transporter basically scans your bio signature down to a molecular level. then it projects a beam that converts your body into energy and pulls your energy back to the ship, most likely through subspace or something because it disapears once its been turned into energy, and then it reconverts the body or object into matter based on the scan done preveously.

and i think that the asgard transportation beam really just does what the wraith's does except over a much longer range and proboly opperating through subspace so that it can reach such long distances so quickly.
    STARGATE ROCKS

THERE IS NO BETTER SHOW

Comment

Originally posted by stargater1990 View Post
      heres my theory as to how it works: i think that the transporter basically scans your bio signature down to a molecular level. then it projects a beam that converts your body into energy and pulls your energy back to the ship, most likely through subspace or something because it disapears once its been turned into energy, and then it reconverts the body or object into matter based on the scan done preveously.
      This seems to make sense to me, I always felt they just locked on to the life sign as stated above, never gave the rest of it much thought!
      Dimmed light illuminates wearily a thousand skyscrapers of concrete, glass, shattered imaginations and severed dreams. Urban structures of brick and steel extend tendrils of decay and neglect into an aging embrace of irreverence, moving forward into synthetic joy.

Comment

Well, the lock is mostly the question of algorithm. Yeah, it might use life sign detection for initial lock, but that's clearly not all of it. It beams up the person along with whatever that person is wearing or happen to be holding. Furthermore, inanimate objects can also be locked onto and beamed. So there is going to be a lot of shape recognition involved. But this is purely a software issue. An advanced enough AI with right heuristics will be able to perform the lock.

The question of transport is more interesting. However, if you accept that the scanners can work, then transport can be developed as extension of that. In order to detect something, you must interact with it. And if you can interact with it, you can move it about.

Keeping all other Asgard technology in mind, the most likely candidate for the interaction field for both scan and transport is the gravitational field. First of all, any matter or quantity of energy will scatter a gravitational wave, allowing for a radar-like system to detect matter/energy. Second, gravitational waves are not trivial to shield, so you'll be able to scan deep within most objects without difficulty. Finally, either way you want to explain subspace, most likely, gravity is involved.
        MWG Gate Network Simulation

Looks familiar?

Comment

turning something to energy would be extremely interesting. just take a brick of wood and voila, power a city for a year

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
            turning something to energy would be extremely interesting. just take a brick of wood and voila, power a city for a year
            Except you can't really do this. There are some quantum number conservations that would require a brick of anti-matter if you wanted to turn the brick of ordinary matter into energy.

Yes, they keep talking about turning matter into energy on the show, but they are extremely inconsistent about it. I think it's better to simply assume that they mean "matter stream", which is matter in its most disintegrated state.

Looks familiar?

Comment

From a scientific point of view, this simply can not exist. It makes no sense to seek an explanation a device that does not fit is not one scientific theory.
              But ring transporter work as stargate. Converts body irradiating it as in the episode "Crystal Skull" parallel decreasing, then moves to another subspace exists only at the time of connection.
              Well, contrary to popular human belief, the Earth is not the centre of the galaxy. (c) ARIS BOCH
              SGU DEAD - Good News !!!

Comment

Originally posted by techwork View Post
                From a scientific point of view, this simply can not exist.
                Mass, energy, and momentum are conserved. Charge and other quantum numbers are also conserved. No quantum cloning takes place. Locality is not violated. Consumption of useful energy takes care of thermodynamic limitations.

I really don't see any scientific reason for it not to work.

Looks familiar?

Comment

Originally posted by K^2 View Post
                  Mass, energy, and momentum are conserved. Charge and other quantum numbers are also conserved. No quantum cloning takes place. Locality is not violated. Consumption of useful energy takes care of thermodynamic limitations.

I really don't see any scientific reason for it not to work.
                  Ha! Organism will break up to elementary particles as a replicator to pieces.
                  Well, contrary to popular human belief, the Earth is not the centre of the galaxy. (c) ARIS BOCH
                  SGU DEAD - Good News !!!

Comment

Not if quantum states of all particles involved are carried over. Quantum Teleportation can take care of that nicely.

Looks familiar?

Comment

quantum teleportation and quantum superposition is possible, currently they're trying it on micro organisms. air and radiation will interfere with superposition, however, so the asgard method must do it really, really fast.

one type of technology that seems to exist is that, material is broken down to basic matter, then transported and rebuilt at a new location. it seems present in stargates and seems the operation of any transportation technology.

so how does one rebuild the body, or break it down in the first place?

Comment

The gate itself is obvious. The tidal forces near event horizon will pull matter into quark-gluon plasma without any special effort. The matter stream will then have just enough momentum to begin reintegrating outside of destination event horizon. Naturally, some sort of the system will have to adjust matter stream as it emerges so that it reintegrates into exactly the same state as one from which it was taken originally.

The real trick is making all of that work with a buffer, because without a buffer, you can only send through inanimate matter. Buffer must "trap" matter stream, and selectively bounce it back if needed, until the entire object is through the event horizon.

Transporter rings, most likely, also use gravity manipulation and tidal forces to pull matter apart. However, it's likely that their system merely atomizes matter, sending it as ordinary plasma. That would explain range limitations, etc. There doesn't appear to be a buffer, either. Instead, the system relies on rings atomizing/reconstructing matter very rapidly.

Back to the Asgard beam, it just seems to work very different from these two systems. That's why I'm thinking more in terms of Quantum Teleportation, rather than Universal Constructor method employed by the rings.

Looks familiar?

Comment

Working...
                        X