Asgard Hyperdrives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Asgard Hyperdrives

Thor stated that the full power of the generators was needed to enter hyperspace resulting in no shields or weapons during or just after hyperspace travel. The replicator ships apparently also suffer from this problem. As we use Asgard hyperdrives do we suffer from the same weakness, particularly that of having no shield for a few moments after exiting hyperspace or can travel speed be sacrificed to prevent such a weakness by maintaining some power for shields and weapons?

Yes, there is an episode somewhere in season 9 and 10 when the Lucian Alliance captured an earth vessel they did this by creating a mine field in space where the earth ship was going to come out.
    Stargate Revival Please!

Comment

Originally posted by YutheGreat View Post
      Yes, there is an episode somewhere in season 9 and 10 when the Lucian Alliance captured an earth vessel they did this by creating a mine field in space where the earth ship was going to come out.
      No LA fired opon the oddy as soon as they dropped out when oddy took evasive action they went straight into the minefield witch took out the remaining sheilds and crippled the ship.

but yes there is a significant delay in activating the sheilds after exiting hyperspace!

Comment

It seems universal. Such as when the 304's surprised the Asuran Auroras in BAMSR.

Comment

Only Ancient cityships seem able to avoid this problem for obvious reasons. This requires a ZPM which speaks to the great power required to sustain both a shield and a hyperdrive.
          My Tep senses are tingling.

That I will have to edit is assumed.

Comments and critiques are always welcome. Please, tell me what you think.

Comment

Originally posted by Exthalion View Post
            Only Ancient cityships seem able to avoid this problem for obvious reasons. This requires a ZPM which speaks to the great power required to sustain both a shield and a hyperdrive.
            Well it normally requires 3 for max power. Well Wraith ships also but its because they don't have shields.
            Stargate Revival Please!

Comment

Originally posted by Alx View Post
              No LA fired opon the oddy as soon as they dropped out when oddy took evasive action they went straight into the minefield witch took out the remaining sheilds and crippled the ship.

but yes there is a significant delay in activating the sheilds after exiting hyperspace!
              In that episode you're referring to I think Odyssey had to drop out of hyperspace near a red giant or some intense gravity ridden area of space that reduced the Odyssey's shields to something like 20% of their normal strength.

But yeah I think every ship besides Ancient and Asuran city ships need to drop their shields to enter hyperspace.
              I don't recall it being said that Odyssey with it's ZPM can even have it's shields raised in hyperspace, so I don't know what's going on their, perhaps it's some plot shield the writers have given to the Ancients and their mobile homes, or their could be some other technological reason behind it, but I don't know what that could be and I don't recall any canon hinting to a reason behind it.

Comment

maybe the main powergrid is made in such a fasion that all major powercables are needed to get the energy to the hyperdrive?

the asgard could not power shields or so due to flying at max speed. our ships fly at max speed too. but anything with a ZPM, or with a secondary powersource should be able to fire and raise shields in hyperspace

Comment

Even the super replicator ships which 6 O'neills couldn't touch with its shields up couldn't power shields in hyperspace, it speaks volumes for ZPM superiority.

The Odyssesy should definately be able to power shields + weapons in hyperspace as well, its much smaller than Atlantis and has a ZPM.
                  Robert Jastrow (self-proclaimed agnostic): "For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries."

Comment

Originally posted by Rise Of The Phoenix View Post
                    In that episode you're referring to I think Odyssey had to drop out of hyperspace near a red giant or some intense gravity ridden area of space that reduced the Odyssey's shields to something like 20% of their normal strength.
                    reason behind it.
                    yeah the oddy was following up on some intel about a supergate if i recall it accuratly.

Comment

Even the super replicator ships which 6 O'neills couldn't touch with its shields up couldn't power shields in hyperspace, it speaks volumes for ZPM superiority.
                      BS. both that one and the oneill following were flying quite fast. the oneill at max speed and the replicator ship superfast aswell. previously they never flew that fast, in Small Victories they flew potentially dozens of times slower than beliskners, and now the newest asgard ship can only keep up and even go faster if using all available power. it says nothing about the "power of ZPM's"

with a ZPM, atlantis can not go max speed. if it does, it needs to shut down shields aswel.

i think the idea is both crap and unnessecary. the only race ever showing that ships can give chase in hyperspace were the asgard. the goauld and wraith do have multiple ships in one corridor, but they enter and exit simultaniously. the repli ship had left for several seconds, then the asgard entered themselves and got in the same corridor. then managed to almost overtake the repli ship.

as i said, a 304 with a second powersource should be able to fight in hyperspace. but seeing as nobody sans asgard ever gave chase, it's not an issue.

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                        BS. both that one and the oneill following were flying quite fast. the oneill at max speed and the replicator ship superfast aswell. previously they never flew that fast, in Small Victories they flew potentially dozens of times slower than beliskners, and now the newest asgard ship can only keep up and even go faster if using all available power. it says nothing about the "power of ZPM's"

with a ZPM, atlantis can not go max speed. if it does, it needs to shut down shields aswel.
                        We don't know the exact speed though so actually you are the one talking BS. You'd need to show that the Repli ship and the O'neill were going faster than Atlantis. How do you know they never travelled that fast before? Quotation please.

Replicator enhanced Beliskners (enhanced by means the Asgard didn't understand) didn't have the power to enter hyperspace and raise shields. Atlantis with a single ZPM can do this, maybe not at max power but we know its still faster than the 304's.

Atlantis is also a much larger vessel than the Beliskners, O'neills and Repli ships and it has much much stronger shields as well.

i think the idea is both crap and unnessecary. the only race ever showing that ships can give chase in hyperspace were the asgard. the goauld and wraith do have multiple ships in one corridor, but they enter and exit simultaniously. the repli ship had left for several seconds, then the asgard entered themselves and got in the same corridor. then managed to almost overtake the repli ship.

as i said, a 304 with a second powersource should be able to fight in hyperspace. but seeing as nobody sans asgard ever gave chase, it's not an issue.
                        The Replicators probably operate on the same frequency of subspace in hyperspace as the Asgard hence the Asgard can enter the same corridoor. Other races couldn't because they have incompatible drives and this enter a 'different layer' of subspace for hyperspace travel. Its not some magical Asgard tech no one else has.
                        Robert Jastrow (self-proclaimed agnostic): "For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries."

Comment

We don't know the exact speed though so actually you are the one talking BS. You'd need to show that the Repli ship and the O'neill were going faster than Atlantis. How do you know they never travelled that fast before? Quotation please.

Replicator enhanced Beliskners (enhanced by means the Asgard didn't understand) didn't have the power to enter hyperspace and raise shields. Atlantis with a single ZPM can do this, maybe not at max power but we know its still faster than the 304's.

Atlantis is also a much larger vessel than the Beliskners, O'neills and Repli ships and it has much much stronger shields as well.
                          never said they went faster than atlantis. i said atlantis simply doesnt fly at max speed because of the shields. the asgard and replis do so they can not raise shields. merely flying slower should allow the raising of shields.

Small victories. the replicators flew slow, much slower than the asgard. "because they do not think about time as we do."

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post

The Ori gave chase and there are several hard canon statements by Sam and others in "Unending" and "Ark of Truth" that they cannot be attacked while at hyperspace.

Comment

Originally posted by Duskofdead View Post
                              The Ori gave chase and there are several hard canon statements by Sam and others in "Unending" and "Ark of Truth" that they cannot be attacked while at hyperspace.
                              I always wondered how the Asgard could get inside the same hyperspace window as the Replicators. Was it calculations, or because the Replicators based their technology on the Asgard?

Point being that the Ori may have to jump right after the Odyssey and use the same calculations and design for opening a hyperspace window in order to pursue them.

**takes off glasses, weezes**

Comment

Working...
                              X