• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Instinct (202)

DOLLHOUSE - SEASON TWO
    INSTINCT
    EPISODE NUMBER - 202

When Echo is imprinted as a mother with a newborn baby, she takes too strongly to motherhood as a result of Topher's modifications. Meanwhile, Adelle pays November a visit, and Perrin ramps up his investigation into the Rossum Corporation. (FOX)

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >
    Last edited by GateWorld; 26 December 2013, 11:08 PM.

Moral of this story: don't mess with a mommy!

Topher seems to keep finding ways to outdo himself. Making the Dolls better, able to do more things. I guess nothing a client can come up with is too much for him! And of course, clearly this is both a good thing and a bad thing. I wonder, did the guy have to pay for 2 dolls so "Emily" could have her friend? And do you think he'd want his money back, even though he learned that he really does love his son?

I thought the end was a little dragged out with Ballard and Echo talking in the park, but it seems with Whedon shows, the network seems to make him re-establish known things in the second episode as if we're all dimwits. So I forgive it... for now.

The former November bits were interesting. The most interesting part is how she said she doesn't feel the pain of her daughter's death anymore. Is this because Topher "lobotomized" her or maybe because she did get to work it out as "November" when they set them free? Or a combination? I would like to know more!

Edit: I think this episode is called "Instinct" and the description up there is for another episode.
    Last edited by Amalthea; 02 October 2009, 10:19 PM.
    sigpic

Comment

Fixed,and your post is now in the correct thread.
      The place to "Gate" to during Outages for updates and info:

Comment

I really found a lot of this episode boring. The Echo imprint story was just boring as hell, Topher's a jerk, and there was way, way too much of Dichen Lachman.

It was nice to see Mellie again though.
        "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

As I said before, I fast forward through "active on-the-job" time, and this one was screaming mom-overload from the beginning and didn't need 25 minutes to say it.

Geez, it's a consistent way to show how things work to show that emotional trauma memories both can and can't be programmed in/out. They'll never show the more likely case where an active is programmed to care for a child, but doesn't actually.

Whiskey gets dropped like a hot rock, and apparently any active can just go to the garage and take a car and leave without anyone noticing or any identity check.

Mellie was good though, and we find more about Ballard.

Comment

Yet another great episode, despire their being no Saunders or Langton.

Brining in the active formally known as November (I forget the actual character name) was unexpected so soon. I hope we'll get to see more of what life after the Dollhouse is actually like.

I'm thinking the senators wife/girlfriend might be an active. Although they pulled that one on Ballard, so it would be re-treading old ground if they were to go there again. Either way, there's something not right about her.

Comment

yep the senators wife/girlfriend does seem a bit strange.
              not an overly good episode, i think the b plot was how Topher probably lobotomized November into coming to terms with her daughters death by programming her to be like that rather than her actually getting used to it the natural way - suppose you could say the time being a doll was her grieving time, but it didn't really play off too well against the a plot where Echo got too attached to the baby.

I wonder whether than whack on the head for November is leading to something further down the line - maybe she'll start wanting Ballard again lol.

For a Wheldon series, I must say it's crap compared to other stuff he's done, I think now the only reason I'm watching it is for Topher's sarcasm on his slow decent to his obvious breakdown and when he finally cracks that's gonna be something to watch, will they reprogram him, stick him in attic or will be become Alpha mk2?

I'd say Ballard is the leak, but that's rather too obvious.

Comment

Yeah, I don't think the wife is an active because it would be too obvious, and because DeWitt said the senator wasn't on the Dollhouse's radar until he gave that speech. That said, the wife definitely has ulterior motives. She's probably one of those people who want to find the covert research in order to be in charge of it herself.

Ballard's definitely not the leak. I think he knows the Dollhouse has to implode rather than taken out from the outside to stay dead. Dr. Saunders could be the leak. Or Alpha, again.

Joss has said in interviews that he wants to bring "November" and the other guests back, so we'll see! I don't think they would have thwapped her on the head for nothing.
                sigpic

Comment

I was a little indifferent about this one. The main plot wasn't that interesting and they never really explained why the second active was involved.

The stuff with the senator was alright. I kinda wish they'd spent more time on it.
                  || Star Stream || Destiny Song || The Four Suns (My Band) || The Art of War <<== listen please!

Comment

Originally posted by Shan Bruce Lee View Post
                    I was a little indifferent about this one. The main plot wasn't that interesting and they never really explained why the second active was involved.

The stuff with the senator was alright. I kinda wish they'd spent more time on it.
                    Moms need friends. Since "Emily" wouldn't have any friends, they made one for her.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Amalthea View Post
                      Moms need friends. Since "Emily" wouldn't have any friends, they made one for her.
                      Maybe. That just seems pointless though.
                      || Star Stream || Destiny Song || The Four Suns (My Band) || The Art of War <<== listen please!

Comment

Originally posted by Shan Bruce Lee View Post
                        Maybe. That just seems pointless though.
                        Not really. Any new mom will tell you that she needs her friends. I think it made the whole thing more realistic. There is no way "Emily" wouldn't have had any friends to talk to about her baby.
                        sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        X