Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can this be true about Netrino Ion generators??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can this be true about Netrino Ion generators??

Alright, I was talking to this one guy who's a Science person and we got to talking. Anyway, we started to talk about science fiction and stargate. He was telling me that he believes the asgard neutrino ion generators could actually be a super collider. He said that That the the Neutrino Ion could just be the emissions that are made from colliding neutronium particles. That they are probably making miniature big bangs which if done right could be an infinite amount of energy. Then he went in depth into some math stuff which he kind of lost me. But is that possible??

based on the fact that we know that NIGs cannot possibly, at least in the stargate universe, provide an infinite amount of energy i am going to have to say no. and if your talking in real life terms, i have no idea.
    STARGATE ROCKS

THERE IS NO BETTER SHOW

Comment

Originally posted by loondoggy View Post
      Alright, I was talking to this one guy who's a Science person and we got to talking. Anyway, we started to talk about science fiction and stargate. He was telling me that he believes the asgard neutrino ion generators could actually be a super collider. He said that That the the Neutrino Ion could just be the emissions that are made from colliding neutronium particles. That they are probably making miniature big bangs which if done right could be an infinite amount of energy. Then he went in depth into some math stuff which he kind of lost me. But is that possible??
      If the Asgard had an infinite amount of energy though NIG's at their disposal, then their shields would be forever powered, which we know to be false. So, not this. I was thinking the energy was created, then transfered, which is that gigantic beam of energy we see, a purer form of "wiring", as it were.
      If you wish to see more of my rants, diatribes, and general comments, check out my Twitter account SirRyanR!
      Check out Pharaoh Hamenthotep's wicked 3D renders here!
      If you can prove me wrong, go for it. I enjoy being proven wrong.

sigpic
      Worship the Zefron. Always the Zefron.

Comment

Sounds extremly likely. In the Stargate universe, NIGs apparently cannot provide unlimited energy. But That doesn't mean they couldn't provide (near) infinite energy. It just means they can produce it all at one time. I takes time to collide particles at near the speed of light.

That could account for the apparent shortcomings of the NIGs in the Stargate universe.

Gate Rider AKA Abnormal on the Sanctuary fan forums.
        Fencers of GW Unite!

Comment

Originally posted by lordofseas View Post
          If the Asgard had an infinite amount of energy though NIG's at their disposal, then their shields would be forever powered, which we know to be false. So, not this. I was thinking the energy was created, then transfered, which is that gigantic beam of energy we see, a purer form of "wiring", as it were.
          technically thats not true because asgard shield dont work on the same principle as ancient ones do in that aslong as theres power, they'll work, but i agree that theres no way that they have an infinite amount of power because of the really simple reason that if they did, then asgard ships wouldnt need 4 NIGs to power their ships.

plus the fact that with an infinite powersource, they would have been able to have some seriously powerful weapons, but they dont.
          STARGATE ROCKS

THERE IS NO BETTER SHOW

Comment

Originally posted by stargater1990 View Post
            technically thats not true because asgard shield dont work on the same principle as ancient ones do in that aslong as theres power, they'll work, but i agree that theres no way that they have an infinite amount of power because of the really simple reason that if they did, then asgard ships wouldnt need 4 NIGs to power their ships.

plus the fact that with an infinite powersource, they would have been able to have some seriously powerful weapons, but they dont.
            Well, at least their weapons would have most certainly penetrated Anubis shields if they had the power of infinity behind them.
            If you wish to see more of my rants, diatribes, and general comments, check out my Twitter account SirRyanR!

sigpic

Comment

Well, he was talking more about how they were looking at supercolliders as a near infinite source of energy more than asgard Neutrino Ion generators. But he said also that if it is a supercollider he sees no reason if they set up right why it shouldn't be a near infinite source of energy.

Comment

Originally posted by loondoggy View Post
                Well, he was talking more about how they were looking at supercolliders as a near infinite source of energy more than asgard Neutrino Ion generators. But he said also that if it is a supercollider he sees no reason if they set up right why it shouldn't be a near infinite source of energy.
                There's nothing to suggest that a NIG is a supercollider.

sigpic

Comment

it is possible. but what would a neutrino ion be? its very name contradicts the term "ion". a neutrino is a tiny neutral charge particle with near-zero mass. (Neutrino, italian for small neutral one). an ion is charged. besides, ions are atomic nucleae with fewer or more electrons than the amount of protons in the nucleus. because a neutrino has no nucleus and has no electrons, the term is completely wrong.

at best i can tell you this: Beta Decay of Liquid Neutronium, eg. superdense matter made of neutrons and no electrons or nucleae, would releaase the energy of a high-end ZPM (ie, the energy of a ZPM calculated by the explosion of Arcturus) which is some 10^40 joules of energy. because a droplet of Liquid Neutronium would be stable under its own gravity, you'd need a strong neutrino pulse to start the decay.

the waste matter is Neutrons (which didnt decay), Protons and Electrons. ring a bell? hydrogen. the waste matter is superhot (due to released energy) and thus: IONS. Hydrogen IONs.

the full name would be Neutrino-induced hydrogen Ion Generator.

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                    it is possible. but what would a neutrino ion be? its very name contradicts the term "ion". a neutrino is a tiny neutral charge particle with near-zero mass. (Neutrino, italian for small neutral one). an ion is charged. besides, ions are atomic nucleae with fewer or more electrons than the amount of protons in the nucleus. because a neutrino has no nucleus and has no electrons, the term is completely wrong.

at best i can tell you this: Beta Decay of Liquid Neutronium, eg. superdense matter made of neutrons and no electrons or nucleae, would releaase the energy of a high-end ZPM (ie, the energy of a ZPM calculated by the explosion of Arcturus) which is some 10^40 joules of energy. because a droplet of Liquid Neutronium would be stable under its own gravity, you'd need a strong neutrino pulse to start the decay.

the waste matter is Neutrons (which didnt decay), Protons and Electrons. ring a bell? hydrogen. the waste matter is superhot (due to released energy) and thus: IONS. Hydrogen IONs.

best plausible answer so far but maybe if its a collider the ion denerators do make near infinite energy however it may take an extremely long time to crush the neutron atoms so then u can only use so much amount of power before it overloads
                    sigpic

Comment

The thing is though we can safetly say that the NIG's of the Asgard at least those on their ships don't produce 10^40 joules.
                      Robert Jastrow (self-proclaimed agnostic): "For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries."

Comment

or maybe the guy in the initial post interpretated it wrong. it does deliver infinite energy, but only over time. so the wattage is limited (energy per second) but the joules are infinite (the amount of energy).

Comment

The terms match, but generally, a generator is rarely named according to its waste.
                          Also the neutronium in Stargate is not the theoretical scientific stuff.

Instead of being waste matter, the reactor can be akin to a miniature sun that releases copious amounts of neutrinos along other particles. Neutrinos themselves carry energy away (a lot is wasted, notably in annihilation reactions) and are hard to catch. Let's say by using both thick layers of neutronium and some physics cheating force fields, the Asgard core can actually catch neutrinos and strip them of their energy.

EDIT: sorry being late, I hate typos when I see 'em.
                          Last edited by Mister Oragahn; 14 September 2009, 02:44 PM.
                          The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

'An infinite source of energy' is pretty much impossible. Unless you want to throw out thermodynamics and conservation of energy. To get energy out you have to put fuel in. Limited amount of fuel in = limited amount of energy out. At most you get 100% conversion of matter to energy in accordance with E=mc^2 and that is in itself impossible. (nothing has perfect efficiency)

As to Asgard reactors. The name neutrino ion generator doesn't make much sense either. There's no such thing as a neutrino ion. A neutrino is a fundemenatal particle. Where an ion is just an atom that is positively or negatively charged owing to possessing uneven numbers of protons and electrons.

Of course the op suggest it could be a particle collider colliding neutrinos and ions possibly? You tend to use ions in colliders anyway as they are affected by magnetic fields but you wouldn't use neutrinos as they are highly unreactive. Pretty much all they do is help even out nuclear reactons. (which have to conserve the numbers of leptons going in an out)
                            sigpic
                            Banner By JME2

Comment

'An infinite source of energy' is pretty much impossible. Unless you want to throw out thermodynamics and conservation of energy. To get energy out you have to put fuel in. Limited amount of fuel in = limited amount of energy out. At most you get 100% conversion of matter to energy in accordance with E=mc^2 and that is in itself impossible. (nothing has perfect efficiency)
                              universe contains quite alot of energy. infinite as in so much energy it's mind boggling much and not likely to deplete in your race's lifetime.
                              in short words. infinite.

As to Asgard reactors. The name neutrino ion generator doesn't make much sense either. There's no such thing as a neutrino ion. A neutrino is a fundemenatal particle. Where an ion is just an atom that is positively or negatively charged owing to possessing uneven numbers of protons and electrons.
                              maybe the process generates neutrino's and ion's as a byproduct?

Comment

Working...
                              X