This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Wolfenstein Game

I've never been big on the Wolfenstein series, but does anyone know why there is a stargate in the castle in the trailers for the new game? It just has lawsuit written all over it.

I loved Wolf3d and Spear of Destiny when I was younger, they were every bit as formative to the FPS genre as Doom would end up being. Besides, who doesn't love shamelessly blasting Nazis?

RTCW was nice, fun, but it just lacked a charm that the old pixelly classics had. I can't quite put my finger on what, but it just wasn't a classic in the way the old games were. Plus, I found the sci-fi occult angle very boringly presented in RTCW; just not as spooky and new as it was back in the day.

I've seen screenshots of the new Wolfenstein which seem to indicate they're continuing along the tired occult path. *yawn*

Maybe when it comes down in price I'll give it a go. For now, I'm just sad at how far a mighty franchise has fallen.

Originally posted by Enosh74 View Post
    I've never been big on the Wolfenstein series, but does anyone know why there is a stargate in the castle in the trailers for the new game? It just has lawsuit written all over it.
    Examples, please.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

I remember playing that when I was a teen! It's weird because my dad bought it and allowed my younger sister and I to play it (older one didn't play computer games). Now my dad's all weird about the games OUR kids play. He even made weird comments when my son got his fake P90 (close as to one that we could find as a toy) for his Stargate SG-1 Jack O'Neill Hallowe'en outfit. My dad let me play a game where I went around SHOOTING at people and dogs. But how could I buy my son a toy gun? Yeah, whatever!
      Orphan Black: Join the Clone Club Dance Party!

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post

Examples, please.
        http://www.hulu.com/watch/90366/vide...launch-trailer

I think it's at 19 seconds in. The symbols are green, but they are alien symbols, it is a ring, and the Nazi says it's a portal to another world. Quite stargate-esque.

Comment

Cheers for the response, but Hulu only works for yanks.
          "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Stargate is not original. There were stargates in the Might and Magic series and the first Might and Magic game came out in 1986. In fact, a lot of the things in Stargate were in Might and Magic. In Might and Magic, an advanced race called the Ancients seeded life all across the universe and connected their worlds through a series of Celestial Gates. The Ancients then lost control over many of their worlds when a race that used advanced bioengineering called the Kreegans waged war against them. The worlds that were cut off from the Ancients lost their technology and reverted to a medieval state.

Also, the other world mentioned in Wolfenstein is not another planet. It's basically a parallel dimension on earth, similar to the spectral realm in "Soul Reaver."

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
              Cheers for the response, but Hulu only works for yanks.
              Sorry about that. The hulu video is the same as the launch trailer here: http://www.wolfenstein.com/home For some reason I can't link directly, but it's at the bottom of the page.

Also, Giantevilhead, that's very interesting. You're right it looks like Nazi infantrymen are put in the stargate-looking thing and they some how connect to this parallel universe and become some sort of testosterone filled over muscled monsters bent on killing.

Comment

Originally posted by Enosh74 View Post
                Sorry about that. The hulu video is the same as the launch trailer here: http://www.wolfenstein.com/home For some reason I can't link directly, but it's at the bottom of the page.
                No worries, I've found it thanks Anywho now that I'm able to speak to your original post....

No, it doesn't look like a Stargate. There's numerous shots throughout the trailer that show it's not a single ring, it's three of them spinning inside each other (a la Contact, or Event Horizon; I don't know what the correct term for that is) which appear to lock into place to open whatever portal that is. I'd also like to echo what giatevilhead's already said in that portals to another world are hardly a new invention of Stargate's creation. I'm not sure M&M was the first (not disputing either, just saying ), but it's a longstanding SF/F concept.

Besides that, circular is just more aesthetically pleasing. Who wants to see a square gate? Pitched you some green too. Not many forum newbies would've followed through on a big claim but you were good to your word

Comment

M&M isn't the first story that has stargates but the lore of the series is very similar to that of Stargate's.

Comment

Working...
                  X