Satellite defence system for Earth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Satellite defence system for Earth

I have had an idea for a satellite defence system for Earth based on satellites from SG-1, SGA and some of my own thoughts.

First line of defence is the Ancient Weapons satellites placed at Lagrangian points, these are designed to destroy any large capitol ships on their approach to Earth before they reach orbit.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lagrangian_point

Second line of defence is a second set of Ori weapons satellites in direct orbit above Earth. These are an upgraded design from the plans obtained by the SGC for the Ori satellite being built by the Rand Protectorate (fully automated compared to controlled from a ground based station). These satellites are capable of breaching Asgard Shields in just a few shots and could be easily built using Earth technology.

Third and final line of defence is a new special kind of satellite. These are placed in geostationary orbit and arranged in a hexagonal pattern. Each satellite is essentially a power source and a shield emitter, which when activated project a force shield to is nearest neighbours. The satellites work in conjunction to create a shield that completely surrounds the Earth preventing orbital bombardment.

Together I believe that a multi level satellite defence system like this combined with having Atlantis and its control chair on Earth and fleet F-302’s would make us nearly invulnerable to an Enemy attack
    "So, what's your impression of Alar?"
    "That he is concealing something."
    "Like what?"
    "I am unsure. He is concealing it."

"Well, according to Einstein’s General Theory of Relativity, there’s nothing in the laws of physics to prevent it. Extremely difficult to achieve, mind you – you need the technology to manipulate black holes to create wormholes not only through points in space but time."
    "Not to mention a really nice DeLorean."
    "Don’t even get me started on that movie!"
    "I liked that movie!"

It sounds cool, I like the idea of it.

Comment

sounds #1 expensive, #2 unnessecarily composed of ori and ancient and asgard technologies, all of which we cant reverse engineer. the ori sattelite had terrible charge time.

#3: unnessecary in its very principle.

what we need is supersimple:

1: spread Surface To Space missiles over the earth, naturally IOA-countries only. each missile has multiple independant nuclear vehicles. naturally with great agility and maneuverability. can always be explained as a missile test. missiles arent outdated if we dont let them outdate. besides, great against hives if used properly.

2: take all Arctic Drones and resupply atlantis. turn the Arctic Outpost to a research station only and any offensive and defensive measures are installed into atlantis. atlantis is repaired fully. an asgard shield generator is placed at the Arctic site. should any major threat arrive on earth, then we have a Superweapon V2.0 (this time with shield) to protect us. place atlantis somewhere in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean, far away from civilisation so there's no suspicion.

3: we already have overkill defences with atlantis alone. but still, overkill doesnt matter in a true war. build a frame, add an asgard shield generator, asgard powercore, asgard computers and a subspace emitter. inertialess drive to remain in orbit and sensors and aforementioned engine for evasion of incoming attacks. as a weapon it has 1 APBW. due to its rather overkill powercore and weapon it can kill Ha'tak, normal hives and pretty much any class of ship alone. six sattelites should be enough for now. dont forget to add solar panels for basic power. allows the sattelite to keep the Powercore for a battle.

naturally, use atlantis to monitor every ship in a several thousand lightyear range. contact any approaching ship while in hyperspace and ask to identify. when it drops out without identification, a few seconds are given before the sattelites blow the hyperdrive and shields to hell. at any given time, 5 sattelites can target a ship, so even an Ori Mothership can be defeated just by them. if the ship is identified as an hostile, the drop out location is calculated and the sattelites pre-aim, and shoot it to hell the second the Window forms.

that's enough, MORE than enough.

we don't even know if Lagrangian Points exist. if Newton gravity applies, then they do exist. if MOND applies, which would kick Dark Matter right out the window and explain all anomalies, then they do not exist. their existence is scheduled to be tested.

Comment

Third and final line of defence is a new special kind of satellite. These are placed in geostationary orbit and arranged in a hexagonal pattern. Each satellite is essentially a power source and a shield emitter, which when activated project a force shield to is nearest neighbours. The satellites work in conjunction to create a shield that completely surrounds the Earth preventing orbital bombardment.
        nice but the powercosts and the building costs would go through the roof. a planetary shield is just bad. a shield umbrella works best. a few sats combine shields to protect from a local bombardment.

and you know the irony? all this is utterly useless if a smart suicidal goauld decides to exit hyperspace 10km above New York. the impact would be that of a Mark IX.

also, ANY smart opponent would exit hyperspace in orbit or near orbit of earth. they wouldnt pull of an ori. infact, the ori should have opened fire on us when they were near mars or whatever. in space range does not exist.

but i think the Ascended Beings interfered with Adria's ability to intergalactically communicate with the forces over earth

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
          sounds #1 expensive, #2 unnecessarily composed of Ori and ancient and Asgard technologies, all of which we can’t reverse engineer. the Ori satellite had terrible charge time.

1: spread Surface To Space missiles over the earth, naturally IOA-countries only. each missile has multiple independent nuclear vehicles. naturally with great agility and manoeuvrability. can always be explained as a missile test. missiles aren’t outdated if we don’t let them outdate. besides, great against hives if used properly.
          However missiles are not effective against ships with shields, Ha’taks survived direct hits from nuclear missiles and in the Siege part 2 darts were able to intercept missiles before they reached the Hive ships.

2: take all Arctic Drones and resupply Atlantis. turn the Arctic Outpost to a research station only and any offensive and defensive measures are installed into Atlantis. Atlantis is repaired fully. an Asgard shield generator is placed at the Arctic site. should any major threat arrive on earth, then we have a Superweapon V2.0 (this time with shield) to protect us. place Atlantis somewhere in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean, far away from civilisation so there's no suspicion.
          Why would we need to bother protecting the Antarctic outpost? With the control chair, drones and ZPM gone all that is left is the deep freeze stasis pod.

3: we already have overkill defences with Atlantis alone. but still, overkill doesn’t matter in a true war. Build a frame; add an Asgard shield generator, Asgard powercore, Asgard computers and a subspace emitter. inertialess drive to remain in orbit and sensors and aforementioned engine for evasion of incoming attacks. as a weapon it has 1 APBW. due to it’s rather overkill powercore and weapon it can kill Ha'tak, normal hives and pretty much any class of ship alone. six satellites should be enough for now. don’t forget to add solar panels for basic power. allows the satellite to keep the Powercore for a battle.
          And that is easier/cheaper than my idea how?. The Ori satellites were built by the Rand Protectorate who are not even as technologically advanced as us, but yet it as still able to destroy the Prometheus with is main weapon whilst its shields withstood several minutes of bombardment with no sign of degradation. That Ori satellite could have had such a long charge time because even though its shields and weapon are very powerful its main power source may not be as advanced, using a Naquadah reactor as the power source could cut the charge time down significantly.

Naturally, use Atlantis to monitor every ship in a several thousand light-year range. contact any approaching ship while in hyperspace and ask to identify. when it drops out without identification, a few seconds are given before the satellites blow the hyperdrive and shields to hell. at any given time, 5 satellites can target a ship, so even an Ori Mothership can be defeated just by them. if the ship is identified as a hostile, the drop out location is calculated and the satellites pre-aim, and shoot it to hell the second the Window forms.
          That is kind of along the lines I was thinking

we don't even know if Lagrangian Points exist. if Newton gravity applies, then they do exist. if MOND applies, which would kick Dark Matter right out the window and explain all anomalies, then they do not exist. their existence is scheduled to be tested.
          Well the fact that Jupiter has the Trojan asteroids that lie 60° ahead and behind of the planet (conveniently were the L4 and L5 points are predicted to exist) implies that at least those two Lagrangian Points do exist.
          "Like what?"

"Well, according to Einstein’s General Theory of Relativity, there’s nothing in the laws of physics to prevent it. Extremely difficult to achieve, mind you – you need the technology to manipulate black holes to create wormholes not only through points in space but time."
          "I liked that movie!"

Comment

nice but the powercosts and the building costs would go through the roof. a planetary shield is just bad. a shield umbrella works best. a few sats combine shields to protect from a local bombardment.

and you know the irony? all this is utterly useless if a smart suicidal goauld decides to exit hyperspace 10km above New York. the impact would be that of a Mark IX.

also, ANY smart opponent would exit hyperspace in orbit or near orbit of earth. they wouldnt pull of an ori. infact, the ori should have opened fire on us when they were near mars or whatever. in space range does not exist.

but i think the Ascended Beings interfered with Adria's ability to intergalactically communicate with the forces over earth
            Perhaps they emit radiation into subspace that, if anyone intelligent built their hyperdrives, would detect the radiation, and exit due to the error.
            If you wish to see more of my rants, diatribes, and general comments, check out my Twitter account SirRyanR!
            Check out Pharaoh Hamenthotep's wicked 3D renders here!
            If you can prove me wrong, go for it. I enjoy being proven wrong.

sigpic
            Worship the Zefron. Always the Zefron.

Comment

And that is easier/cheaper than my idea how?. The Ori satellites were built by the Rand Protectorate who are not even as technologically advanced as us, but yet it as still able to destroy the Prometheus with is main weapon whilst its shields withstood several minutes of bombardment with no sign of degradation. That Ori satellite could have had such a long charge time because even though its shields and weapon are very powerful its main power source may not be as advanced, using a Naquadah reactor as the power source could cut the charge time down significantly.
              easy to build does not mean cheaper. what i said is easy to build too. most stuff isnt hard to build, just terribly expensive. also, i am of the opinion that an asgard-designed sattelite is better than some makeshift thing of the Ori.

ofcourse it withstood bombardment! because we are too stupid to detonate the warheads ON the shield instead of making the missile just impact the shield.

point is,APBW's are better than that ori weapon. it can kill any known class of ship. a simple sattelite like i said could blow any threat to hell at a one-time expense (because the powercores willl only be used in battle and the standby power is generated by the Solar panels). because they are beamed to space the launch costs are minimal.

Lagrangean PD's wont work because any enemy will drop out in orbit. if they dont we send the missiles (with -finally working- Shield Modulators (they worked in BAMSR)), while firing at them with the APBW sattelites.

Comment

easy to build does not mean cheaper. what I said is easy to build too. most stuff isn’t hard to build, just terribly expensive. also, I am of the opinion that an Asgard-designed satellite is better than some makeshift thing of the Ori.
                Fair point, although the weapon was able to penetrate the Asgard shields of the Prometheus with ease, so it should have no trouble against the shields of an Ha'tak and even less against an unshielded Wraith cruiser or hive.

Point is, APBW's are better than that Ori weapon. it can kill any known class of ship. a simple satellite like I said could blow any threat to hell at a one-time expense (because the power cores will only be used in battle and the standby power is generated by the Solar panels). because they are beamed to space the launch costs are minimal.
                Possibly, the point I was making that if a less advanced people like the Rand Protectorate could build such an effective weapons satellite with their less advanced technology it should be much easier for us to build a more advanced version from the plans we already have using Earth based materials rather than trying to engineer something from completely Asgard tech.

Lagrangean PD's won’t work because any enemy will drop out in orbit. if they don’t we send the missiles (with -finally working- Shield Modulators (they worked in BAMSR)), while firing at them with the APBW satellites.
                Two instances where an enemy has dropped out of hyperspace well out of range of Earth orbit. The Siege PT1, the wraith hives drop out of hyperspace far away from Lantea and come within range of a LP defence satellite. Also the SG1 series 1finale Within the Serpent's Grasp the Goa'uld Ha’taks are shown flying past Saturn. You have to be pretty dumb to drop of hyperspace directly above a world you’re intending to attack as you don’t know what defences your enemy has potentially put in place, much safer to drop out of hyperspace much further out and make a steady approach, whilst scanning for any orbital defences (most enemies like the Goa’uld or Lucian alliance won’ be expecting any advanced defences so far out in a star system).
                "Like what?"

"I liked that movie!"

Comment

Originally posted by Control_Chair View Post
                  Fair point, although the weapon was able to penetrate the Asgard shields of the Prometheus with ease, so it should have no trouble against the shields of an Ha'tak and even less against an unshielded Wraith cruiser or hive.
                  The Ori satellite took several shots to destroy Prometheus despite going straight through its shields, against the superior and large hulls of the Wraith Cruisers and Hives I don't think it would cut it (pardon the pun).
                  Robert Jastrow (self-proclaimed agnostic): "For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries."

Comment

the governments of different countries will most likely use the weapons on each other before ever taking out a space ship

as far as the ori satallite weapon goes, the ori gave the Rand people an old and weak version. weak capacitors, always blame on the capacitors whenever a weapon doesnt deliver, they did it on atlantis with that ancient weapon, and now it's sg1.

Comment

While I'm glad Killman's caught on to the "effective range" thingy for space combat, surface to orbit missiles are a less than optimal solution. The time it takes to get them into orbit is enough for any intelligent enemy to shoot them down, and no sane military commander plans his defense betting on his enemy's stupidity.

The beam satellites are sound, basically, but in this case somewhat unrefined, to power an APBW a good sized reactor would be required, and that doesn't take into account it's drives, shields, or other systems, in the end, a properly designed "satellite" would be mare akin to a small ship, the Light tack Craft from the Honoverse are a particularly good example.

Comment

Well why not to build satellites size of the one we seen in episode 19 of season 1 Atlantis? This way we can install primary and secondary shields, power supply's and also many of other systems required for satellite to function as it must.

Also we can try to build in some really cool stuff in to them, like moving thrusters (so satellite can move around the planet) and expendable shields, so earth or friendly ships can move from enemy fire in to shielded area, while the satellite weapons takes care of the enemy ship.

not more than 6 satellites like this would be needed, maybe even 4 of them could do the job done.

Comment

a copy of what i said. also i only referred to my plan as sattelites later on. they orbit the planet in a geosynchronous orbit untill they are called to action.

i never said the frame on which the things are mounted is small. it's gonna be big, but seeing the Deadalus' size and the stills on the MGM site, it's safe to say both systems are not too big. besides, the Asgard Powercore is a powerfull energy source which can do impressive stuff. maybe still nothing like a ZPM, but powerfull enough to do what i said. besides, with current calm times, it's probably just temporarily. the Solar Panels will provide basic power to the things so the Powercore is only used in a battle. because of Atlantis, we can detect ships far ahead. additional measures can be taken.

as i said Tom, Atlantis gives us early warning. the Surface-to-orbit missiles are gonna be in space by the time the enemy fleet arrives.

but that said, seeing earth orbit, the distance to earth et all, use just 4 of aforementioned sattelites (tom, could you invent a new term so it doesnt sound like an ordinary object in a standard orbit), and put two "battlestations" in orbit, each at a pole of the Earth. the Battlestations are essentially 304's in a different configuration: they have multiple missile drums(with short and long ranged missiles. the difference between the two being the accelleration), various "anti-air" laser systems, or railguns, and 2-6 APBW's. naturally with shields and better powergeneration.

the idea of these is simple:

should "Allies" happen again, then the Stations use their "Railguns" or "PDL's" to take out the darts, missiles are shot at the hive while using APBW's aswell.

should EATG happen again, then the superhive is still working out the Stations and Sattelites while Atlantis is firing already.

should any goauld invasion happen, then the sattelites can make short work of even the Continuum fleet.

should any Ori invasion happen then they can be devastated by just the orbital defences alone.

should all defences fail, then Atlantis is still present, away from suspicious eyes and with a powerfull shield and essentially the Arctic Superweapon onboard.

removes the need of a 200+ crew 304 to be present so saves a ton of salaries and the sattelites and stations are relatively small (each sat being perhaps 20-50m and each station 100+m), with not alot of crew (each being able to act autonomously).

all these weapons are operated automatically, but an INTERNATIONAL!!! team of people monitor, repair, maintain, and operate these weapons if needed. because each IOA nation only delivers 1 person of expertise and even the firing of the weapons is governed by the synchronous activation by 2-4 members at the authentication of the IOA, each person being thoroughly screened and the weapons programmed so they can not be made to fire on the planet, the building and programming all done by the Asgard computer Core so absolutely NO worms, trojans, or whatever can be on each device,
                          this way the system is watertight and foolproof. using asgard sensors in the base and internal forcefields, no goauld or brainwashed people can enter. should all go to hell, then the sattelites go to auto, sending automated messages to the approaching ships, auto acquiring a target and auto killing them if needed. in the meanwhile all nations' millitary are informed of the situation by the sattelites.

Comment

Another satellite we could consider was the AG-3 weapons system. Relace the power core with a more effective one (Instead of Heavy liquid Naquahdah). You could maybe even replace the weapon with the APBW (Or a weaker version). With these you would have an effective weapons system that could take on any enemy.

(Of course this all depends on if we can get the plans for the satellite, as it was only seen in Daniels dream.)

"Oddly, this is familiar to you, as if it were from an old dream, but you can't exactly remember..."

Comment

There is no Asgard "Power Core".

But why not simply place the missiles directly into orbit in one shot drums?

I always liked LAC. Through to be fair, since it's so much easier to create FTL engines in the SG verse, these would probably be true ships in their own right, something like a Frigate probably, making up a "home fleet".

Now, instead of those battle stations, wouldn't it be easier just to build a regular 304? Perhaps create a small cloaked bomber uses to deliver those missiles, or even use re purposed tel'taks. Through I don't see much need for missiles with the existence of APBW which seem as powerful as our nukes.

One last point: making sure that every single person who touches the system is clean isn't going to work, eventually something's going to go wrong. The best defense against these situations is creating a path of least resistance for Murphy where the malfunctions can be contained and deal with.

Comment

Working...
                              X