Why are they called "Gliders"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why are they called "Gliders"

Why are the Goa'uld fighter aircraft called death gliders? They are clearly capable of powered atmospheric flight, rather than simply controlled falling. I know that Carter said that their propulsion systems took inertia out of the equation so I'm guessing that they don't rely on lift to fly like an airplane would. Still that's not really gliding (or flying for that matter).

Because Death Propulsion-systems-which-take-inertia-out-of-the-equation just doesn't sound as cool.. Also its a bit of a mouthful...

Comment

It's catchy. It's a science fiction show...

Originally posted by Peoples_General
      Okay... its been established that the Ori have the Toiletbowl-Class as their standard warships.

We should also try to watch out for the Sink Class cruisers, the even more massive Tub-Class carriers as well as the utterly gigantic 30km long Jacuzzi-Class mobile starbase.

Comment

Well, Death Bombers sound a tad boring.
        If you wish to see more of my rants, diatribes, and general comments, check out my Twitter account SirRyanR!
        Check out Pharaoh Hamenthotep's wicked 3D renders here!
        If you can prove me wrong, go for it. I enjoy being proven wrong.

sigpic
        Worship the Zefron. Always the Zefron.

Comment

death fighters sounds even more boring

www.darkarmada.nl
          www.runescape.com

Ode aan Nederlandsch-Indië

Comment

because there are no obvious engines and so it looks like it glides and well, it can become your death and well, fighter sounds stupid

Comment

It's an ironic name. If the engines cut out in atmosphere, it would fall like a rock. That's why they call it a glider. The Goa'uld love irony.
              Wraith ships are giant lobsters.

Comment

Because it sounds cool, although I always liked udajeet.
                All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke

The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own... and yet, how ironic! For I now find, I have no choice at all! I am warrior... let the battle be joined.-Dinobot-Code of Hero

Don't blame me, I voted Cthulhu

Comment

They were saving Puddle Jumper for later.
                  Why did the call it a Stargate, shouldn't it have been, Wormgate, or Planegate, none of them were on stars. :-)

Comment

Why are wraith darts called darts?

"Cuz they'er pointy"

Go Green

Comment

Originally posted by Cy'Lan View Post
                      They were saving Puddle Jumper for later.
                      Why did the call it a Stargate, shouldn't it have been, Wormgate, or Planegate, none of them were on stars. :-)
                      At least they pushed one into a star
                      sigpic
                      A lot of the things that made Stargate awesome, but just with steroids, spread all over it. - Brian J. Smith

Comment

they're called gliders cause as i said, they "glide" through the sky as they dont have any visible engines.

however, i'm rather puzzled at the "death" part. "dead" would've been better. honestly, has ANYONE EVER been killed by one? they cant aim, they cant kill, they're largely useless. why call them "death" gliders?!

Comment

because it is a death sentence for those that have to fly it

www.darkarmada.nl
                          www.runescape.com

Ode aan Nederlandsch-Indië

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                            they're called gliders cause as i said, they "glide" through the sky as they dont have any visible engines.

however, i'm rather puzzled at the "death" part. "dead" would've been better. honestly, has ANYONE EVER been killed by one? they cant aim, they cant kill, they're largely useless. why call them "death" gliders?!
                            I believe plenty of hapless villagers have been killed by them, like the ugly guy from the movie.
                            All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke

The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own... and yet, how ironic! For I now find, I have no choice at all! I am warrior... let the battle be joined.-Dinobot-Code of Hero

Don't blame me, I voted Cthulhu

Comment

Originally posted by jds1982 View Post
                              [...]like the ugly guy from the movie.
                              Lets say he was an "special" kid... but yeah the death gliders are awesome but they can't kill SG-1 for some reason.
                              sigpic
                              - SteamID user since 2005 -- you can add me - visit steam translation server brazil @ Steelbox

Comment

Working...
                              X