Stargate Vibration?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stargate Vibration?

It's said in the series that Earths gate has dampeners to slow the vibration and shaking to a small rumble from the gate. Now what is it that stops the Offworld gates shaking violently, or is it someone to do with a link to the Actual DHD that stops it?

Or is it just due to the Earth Stargate being the only one that spins, and the spinning causes the shakes?

both are possible.

but i assume it's the "manual" dialling

Comment

With out the DHD we have to mechanically rotate the inner ring, hence the shaking.
      sigpic
      - SteamID user since 2005 -- you can add me - visit steam translation server brazil @ Steelbox

Comment

Or maybe it's just another glitch that they fixed with the Earth DHD. But, all in all, I think the above is more likely.
        If you wish to see more of my rants, diatribes, and general comments, check out my Twitter account SirRyanR!
        Check out Pharaoh Hamenthotep's wicked 3D renders here!
        If you can prove me wrong, go for it. I enjoy being proven wrong.

sigpic
        Worship the Zefron. Always the Zefron.

Comment

The steps are made out of vibration absorbing rock...?? (perhaps?)
          It's nothing to do with the DHD. The Antarctic gate was discovered due to its shaking, and it had a DHD.
          Wraith ships are giant lobsters.

Comment

Yeah that's true, and since it had a DHD it wouldn't spin. Hmm, so it can't be the rotation that does it. This is a conundrum.

Comment

that was an older model.

and the DHD was severed

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                that was an older model.

and the DHD was severed
                On that episode the cause of the shaking was due to trying to dial earth while on earth. The Antarctic gate didn't had the same glyph for the point of origin so Carter assumed thay where not on Earth. The PoO is not determined by the gate but by his position on the galaxy, so in assence they where dialing them selfs and got a busy signal.
                sigpic
                - SteamID user since 2005 -- you can add me - visit steam translation server brazil @ Steelbox

Comment

Originally posted by Automission View Post
                  It's said in the series that Earths gate has dampeners to slow the vibration and shaking to a small rumble from the gate. Now what is it that stops the Offworld gates shaking violently, or is it someone to do with a link to the Actual DHD that stops it?

Or is it just due to the Earth Stargate being the only one that spins, and the spinning causes the shakes?
                  I've heard the idea put forward that the concrete-looking stair that many off-world 'Gates have might somehow damp the vibration.

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                  and the DHD was severed
                  If the DHD was severed, then how did they use it to power and dial the 'Gate?

In any case, there is no reason to think that DHDs require a physical connection to the 'Gate.
                  "From East Middle School. Suzumiya Haruhi. I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, sliders, or espers here, come join me."
                  - The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya; Best Character Introduction Ever.

"And can we lose the ten thousand year old dead plants?!"
                  - Stargate: Atlantis (1x03) "Hide and Seek"

"Hammerheads do not load/unload units immediately – they must descend to ground level first. Initial experiments involving jump-jetting infantry into the Hammerhead’s cargo compartment met with unfortunate results."
                  - Command&Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath Hammerhead Unit Spotlight

Comment

Originally posted by Automission View Post

I'd say the cause is probably plot specific.
                    All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke

The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own... and yet, how ironic! For I now find, I have no choice at all! I am warrior... let the battle be joined.-Dinobot-Code of Hero

Don't blame me, I voted Cthulhu

Comment

It is my theory that the Dial Home Device (DHD) has some sort of mechanism that prevents the stargate from vibrating. It is also possible that (as many on this form has stated) that Earth build DHD requires the inner ring to be rotated manually, thereby causing the vibrations.
                      Last edited by Lord Pink; 21 August 2009, 09:39 PM.

Comment

The DHD theory seems likely.The only time we saw shaking was on Earth or alternate reality on Earth.(still i might be forgeting an episode or two)
                        I find beer a refreshing substitute for ... food

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Pink View Post
                          It is my theory that the Dial Home Device (DHD) has some sort of mechanism that prevents the stargate from vibrating. It is also possible that (as many on this form has stated) that Earth build DHD requires the causes the inner ring to be rotated manually, thereby causing the vibrations.
                          Yes... the dhd him self.
                          sigpic

Comment

a related point: if the gate in antarctica was vibrating hard enough to be picked up on seismometers how did it not cave the ice in on jack and sam?

an idea: the gate is not vibrating, the subspace energy buildup causes the walls and rocks to shake. the dampers that daniel was talking about might be some kind of EM dampers. this would explain why off-world gates dont shake -- no walls to trap the energy buildup
                            And the meek shall inherit the earth...............but only after the last soldier wills it to them

Comment

Originally posted by QuantumDragon View Post
                              a related point: if the gate in antarctica was vibrating hard enough to be picked up on seismometers how did it not cave the ice in on jack and sam?
                              Seismometers are pretty sensitive, the gate wouldn't have to be shaking the ground that much to be picked up. Also that ice was pretty thick and probably pretty strong. I'd say the gate shaking probably wasn't any more powerful than a level 5 earthquake on the Richter scale, so it wouldn't really be that bad.
                              All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke

The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own... and yet, how ironic! For I now find, I have no choice at all! I am warrior... let the battle be joined.-Dinobot-Code of Hero

Don't blame me, I voted Cthulhu

Comment

Working...
                              X