Is there a Center to the Gate network

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there a Center to the Gate network

Im just doing some idle speculation on the nature of stargate network(s) and how they function, and if there might be a single master control station.

We know that at least 2 galaxies have networks of thousands of stargates. And we can infer from the premise of SGU that there are many galaxies in the universe with their own gate networks. Travel within networks is continuous and updates its self to keep the locations of active gates usable (correlative updates). Each gate with a DHD has a power source that lasts for millions of years with normal operation. One network can access any point in another network using additional software and a greater power source.

We don't know if the different networks in separate galaxies keep track of other networks in other galaxies. But since it takes an additional control crystal and a separate power source I'm gonna guess no.

Could there be a central planet or station connected to all of networks in the universe? One could argue that Destiny is such a place, but it dosen't sound like it has the power to dial across the universe, just to whatever gates are local.

Now we do know that Pegasus gates take priority over older gates, and that gates with a DHD take priority over one without. I suspect that somewhere out there at a point in the middle of all of the galaxies with stargate networks there is a master control station with the power to access any of the gates in any of the networks.

Or maybe to total network its like what like we've seen so far. Separate networks that are like the roads in towns connected by freeways that take special access. But in the nature of thinking "Wouldn't it be cool IF...." id like to think theres a master world.

Maybe even a unnatural body like a Dyson sphere or a solar system sized machine powered by several singularities. Perhaps it exists in subspace so that it can be instantly connected to anywhere and get around physical laws.

How could would it be for Earth to find the center of everything and send out 2 way explorations of the Universe? You could even get around the power requirements for dialing back to the nexus. Since its the master control it would be simple for the base to dial incoming stargates at preselected times, based on the discovery in "Home" that a gate can dial cosmic distances drawing power from the gate its connecting to.

Speculation on the shape: well something weird and counter intuitive that wouldn't work in normal space. Maybe a pyramidal structure with weird crap coming out of it? It would be an awesome visual of it floating there in the void with the colorful spirally lights of subspace all around it. Maybe like hyper space in babylon 5.

Anywho just my bored musings at work...

like a switch board? sounds wierd but its an interesting idea, its probably an outpost with shields and all that stuff, my guess in the original Lantean home galaxy.

Comment

Well interesting idea, but the Ancients are not known for they control over the network.
      sigpic
      - SteamID user since 2005 -- you can add me - visit steam translation server brazil @ Steelbox

Comment

All things are possible, if it pleases TPTB. And I do not say "All Things" lightly.
        If you wish to see more of my rants, diatribes, and general comments, check out my Twitter account SirRyanR!
        Check out Pharaoh Hamenthotep's wicked 3D renders here!
        If you can prove me wrong, go for it. I enjoy being proven wrong.

sigpic
        Worship the Zefron. Always the Zefron.

Comment

Thats an interesting idea... Wonder if there's some kind of system like that on the Destiny?

'You gotta admit, Vampires are just plain cool'

Comment

Originally posted by kymeric View Post
            One network can access any point in another network using additional software and a greater power source.
            We don't actually know that: it is possible that an eight-chevron address designates entire galaxies (or at least large portions of a galaxy). If that were the case, then the ninth chevron could reasonably be expected to be able to connect to the Destiny without being the "automatically connect to the Destiny chevron."

Originally posted by Dr Lee View Post
            Thats an interesting idea... Wonder if there's some kind of system like that on the Destiny?
            I'm not really sure what exactly kymeric is suggesting, but I have heard
            Spoiler:
            that the range of the Destiny's Stargate is far more limited than Milky Way and Pegasus Stargate, being limited to only the nearest of Stargates.

This effectively rules out the Destiny, unless I am completely off about what kymeric is suggesting.
            "From East Middle School. Suzumiya Haruhi. I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, sliders, or espers here, come join me."
            - The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya; Best Character Introduction Ever.

"And can we lose the ten thousand year old dead plants?!"
            - Stargate: Atlantis (1x03) "Hide and Seek"

"Hammerheads do not load/unload units immediately – they must descend to ground level first. Initial experiments involving jump-jetting infantry into the Hammerhead’s cargo compartment met with unfortunate results."
            - Command&Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath Hammerhead Unit Spotlight

Comment

Thats an interesting idea. Although I think it is unlikely. Maybe we'll find out more information on how different stargate networks function in SGU.

Comment

i have read that destinies stargate does some odd things so we can't rule it completely out. i really like this idea like the phone company for stargates, manybe the system could be planet sized. on the outside looks normal but in the inside all techno.
                time doesn't go in a linear path like everyone thinks, time is a ball of timey wimey wibbly wobblely uh....

Google won't search for Chuck Norris because it knows you don't find Chuck Norris, he finds you.
                sigpic

Comment

Well if such a thing excist is will either be the Icarus base, may be the reason we can dial destiny in the first place or it will the gate seeding ship that is a head of the destiny.

Comment

Originally posted by kymeric View Post
                    Im just doing some idle speculation on the nature of stargate network(s) and how they function, and if there might be a single master control station.

We know that at least 2 galaxies have networks of thousands of stargates. And we can infer from the premise of SGU that there are many galaxies in the universe with their own gate networks. Travel within networks is continuous and updates its self to keep the locations of active gates usable (correlative updates). Each gate with a DHD has a power source that lasts for millions of years with normal operation. One network can access any point in another network using additional software and a greater power source.

We don't know if the different networks in separate galaxies keep track of other networks in other galaxies. But since it takes an additional control crystal and a separate power source I'm gonna guess no.

Could there be a central planet or station connected to all of networks in the universe? One could argue that Destiny is such a place, but it dosen't sound like it has the power to dial across the universe, just to whatever gates are local.
                    It has been theorised that stargates possibly communicate over a subspace network. This is how I think gates work:-
                    The dialling stargate searches for another stargate within the area specified by the address (3 intersecting lines and all that) however the area specified by the address is huge, minimum size is probably a whole solar system (which is about alight year across) if not a much bigger area. So I think gates must exchange precise details about their location in relation to planetary orbits etc over a subspace network.

If such a thing exists it will probably have something to do allowing communication with other gate networks in other galaxies.
                    "So, what's your impression of Alar?"
                    "That he is concealing something."
                    "Like what?"
                    "I am unsure. He is concealing it."

"Well, according to Einstein’s General Theory of Relativity, there’s nothing in the laws of physics to prevent it. Extremely difficult to achieve, mind you – you need the technology to manipulate black holes to create wormholes not only through points in space but time."
                    "Not to mention a really nice DeLorean."
                    "Don’t even get me started on that movie!"
                    "I liked that movie!"

Comment

Now you got me! I can't be sure but I'm guessing that if there is a center it would be the home planet of the Ancients. I think it makes sense...
                      sigpic
                      O'Neill, barging into Daniel's office: "Alright, what the hell is going on with me?"
                      Daniel: "What do you mean?"
                      O'Neill: "Well, apparently I've lost the falatis to speak properly! That wasn't a joke. I didn't do that on purpose."
                      Season 2, "The fifth race"

Comment

Originally posted by Rita O' Neill View Post
                        Now you got me! I can't be sure but I'm guessing that if there is a center it would be the home planet of the Ancients. I think it makes sense...
                        Not really because the home planet of the ancients is in the Ori galaxy and we know they left that galaxy before they invented the network.
                        The new home planet was created on Dakara but I am pretty sure earth and Jaffa would of search that entire planet several times over by now.

Comment

I think that there is no central station for the gate network. It would be to dangerous to have something like that anywhere. In the past there where several evil races, who could destroy the entire gatenetwork.

and also the possible proof for that is the dialling software Ba'al wrote several years ago, when he dialled all gates at the same time. Gate network operates in subspace and in subspace they communicate each other...

Comment

Good idea.I think they should have a server like device because every stargate couldnt store all the constelations for each galaxy, because every stargate could connect with every stargate everywhere, just depends on the power input.
                            I find beer a refreshing substitute for ... food

Comment

Originally posted by Control_Chair View Post
                              It has been theorised that stargates possibly communicate over a subspace network. This is how I think gates work:-
                              The dialling stargate searches for another stargate within the area specified by the address (3 intersecting lines and all that) however the area specified by the address is huge, minimum size is probably a whole solar system (which is about alight year across) if not a much bigger area. So I think gates must exchange precise details about their location in relation to planetary orbits etc over a subspace network.

If such a thing exists it will probably have something to do allowing communication with other gate networks in other galaxies.
                              The radius of Star Systems are measured in light minutes, not light years.
                              Stargate: ROTA wiki

Comment

Working...
                              X