Ultimate shipbuilding yard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ultimate shipbuilding yard

here is an idea for a ship yard that needs little man power and no resources.

the basic idea is to use asgard beaming tech to create the ships (like the asgard probably do). but if your not going to use any resources to build the ships then the beaming tech will need to use pure energy but the problem with that would be it would need a lot. so why not build the shipyard near a black hole and use the black holes energy.

i no this ship yard would take a lot of resources to make but once done it would build ships very fast and the cost would be next to nothing.

could this be done, would it be worth it and when could it be done???

It hasn't been shown that anything other than wormholes can utilize "black hole" energy. And to create things with the Asgard core, you must create it with your mind, and we know that it takes a high level of concentration to make something that's not even the size of a torso.
    If you wish to see more of my rants, diatribes, and general comments, check out my Twitter account SirRyanR!
    Check out Pharaoh Hamenthotep's wicked 3D renders here!
    If you can prove me wrong, go for it. I enjoy being proven wrong.

sigpic
    Worship the Zefron. Always the Zefron.

Comment

its not uncommon for black holes to emit plasma jets. in theory, i suppose you could tap that and use it as a source of power. however, you still need raw materials to convert into the desired parts. if there's one thing black holes are good at, its eating up the very raw materials you need for that purpose. so its kinda self-defeating to have all that power without anything to do with it.
      That's the plan?!? That's the plan. That plan sucks!

Comment

To the original question:

If no raw materials were to be used, it would take a staggering amount of energy to create something. Actually, the second power of the speed of light for every kilogram. That makes approximately 9E16 Joules per kilogram. Thor's ship might have had enough power to create a handheld device in this manner, or he might have used conversion of raw materials instead (which would still take a lot of energy, but not quite so much). If raw materials were used (like, pretty much any form of matter would do, it's enough if it has the appropriate mass) and converted into the desired molecular structure, this might work. One would need the energy level of the Asgard at least to build a ship in this way, and still it would be very demanding.

If you really wanted to build ships weighing millions of kilograms out of thin air by matter/energy conversion, you would need the tech level of the Ancients and plenty of ZPMs to go through with it. It seems much more efficient to have a conventional facility. If you had Ancient tech to build it, it could be almost fully automated and use common rocks as the base material. Generally, conversion of pure energy into matter is considered a very inefficient way of creating something, as things can be produced much more cheaply through normal means. It would make sense for a race with a lot of energy-generating capacities to spare and no natural resources to speak of, or in times of desperation when access to resources is cut off.

Comment

Originally posted by lordofseas View Post
          It hasn't been shown that anything other than wormholes can utilize "black hole" energy. And to create things with the Asgard core, you must create it with your mind, and we know that it takes a high level of concentration to make something that's not even the size of a torso.
          its not the worm hole that uses the energy its the gate. stargates are like energy super conducted. all as we would need to do is build a large naquadah ring and chanel the energy from that (we could even use a normal stargate to do this). easy done. a mind is not needed to create things with the asgard core. we have seen this in AOT and Unending.

Originally posted by 123NotIt View Post
          its not uncommon for black holes to emit plasma jets. in theory, i suppose you could tap that and use it as a source of power. however, you still need raw materials to convert into the desired parts. if there's one thing black holes are good at, its eating up the very raw materials you need for that purpose. so its kinda self-defeating to have all that power without anything to do with it.
          you would not need the plasma jets. using a stargate or something you have build you could use the black holes energy like the super gate does. like i said you would not need raw materials because you would be using energy to create matter.

Originally posted by Michael Jansky View Post
          To the original question:

If no raw materials were to be used, it would take a staggering amount of energy to create something. Actually, the second power of the speed of light for every kilogram. That makes approximately 9E16 Joules per kilogram. Thor's ship might have had enough power to create a handheld device in this manner, or he might have used conversion of raw materials instead (which would still take a lot of energy, but not quite so much). If raw materials were used (like, pretty much any form of matter would do, it's enough if it has the appropriate mass) and converted into the desired molecular structure, this might work. One would need the energy level of the Asgard at least to build a ship in this way, and still it would be very demanding.

If you really wanted to build ships weighing millions of kilograms out of thin air by matter/energy conversion, you would need the tech level of the Ancients and plenty of ZPMs to go through with it. It seems much more efficient to have a conventional facility. If you had Ancient tech to build it, it could be almost fully automated and use common rocks as the base material. Generally, conversion of pure energy into matter is considered a very inefficient way of creating something, as things can be produced much more cheaply through normal means. It would make sense for a race with a lot of energy-generating capacities to spare and no natural resources to speak of, or in times of desperation when access to resources is cut off.
          the energy levels would be huge thats why you would use the energy of a black hole which once your shipyard is build the energy is free. i agree that using ZPMs would be to costly thats why we would use the energy from a black hole which is far more powerful than a ZPM, its almost unlimited and is free (once the ship yard is built). therefore this could be the most efficient way to build ships.

Comment

several things:

Beam construction does not require focus. infact, the ACC requires only a basic set of instructions.

beam construction does not require E=mc^2 energy. beam up the base matter and sequence it properly and that's it. only bonding energy required.

a black hole as a powersource is ridiculous. Hawking's radiation is so weak, its thought to be weaker than background radiation. how this should power such a machine is beyond me. two exceptions: 1: if the BH emits a plasma jet (uncommon), or 2: if there's an acretion disk. the gas in the disk undergoes immense friction, so intense that X-rays are released. this way, you could (indirectly) use the BH for power.

seeing how long the ACC did to build a replicator, a ship takes extremely long. its better to build a single ACC with beaming installation and basic moving thrusters and a NIG or so, toss it in orbit of a resource-rich planet, and make it construct itself. it makes dozens of copy's of itself, which together produce the ship. the construction "nodes" construct individual components, while others beam up those components and assemble them into a ship. more nodes add the last touches to the ship.

several nodes continue to produce nodes, thus constantly enhancing the production rate

Comment

I'm thinking more in the direction of an over sized asgard or ancient basic matter creator thingy they showed off in S10. Yea it will take huge amounts of energy (10+ Mk.2 naquada generators at barely controled over load or maybe the Asgard power core) but it will still be easier and faster than building it pice by pice like a super carrier or any other ship for that matter.

Comment

Black hole as a powersource: Cannon, so we can't do much about that.
                Planets with the material you want already: more energy efficient then making it out of energy.

For that matter, does anyone have any idea HOW to make matter out of energy? I presume there is more to it then pointing a lot of gamma ray beams at each other.
                My Tep senses are tingling.

That I will have to edit is assumed.

Comments and critiques are always welcome. Please, tell me what you think.

Comment

I'm thinking more in the direction of an over sized asgard or ancient basic matter creator thingy they showed off in S10. Yea it will take huge amounts of energy (10+ Mk.2 naquada generators at barely controled over load or maybe the Asgard power core) but it will still be easier and faster than building it pice by pice like a super carrier or any other ship for that matter.
                  my idea is faster, cheaper, better, more effective and well, less power-consuming.

Comment

Black hole as a powersource: Cannon, so we can't do much about that.
                    Planets with the material you want already: more energy efficient then making it out of energy.

For that matter, does anyone have any idea HOW to make matter out of energy? I presume there is more to it then pointing a lot of gamma ray beams at each other.
                    well, i assume they repeat the 'beaming down' only adding energy with no imput matter

Comment

But a huge station that ships can dock to be resupplied, repaired and new ships built. Of course the replicator tech, beaming tech and tractor beam tech can be used to assist in ship creation.

I'm building a 3d shipyard model, see below...largeish image
                      Spoiler:

sigpic

Comment

I already posted this in the shipyard in Ida post but I supose it is relivant here

I was watching an episode of Star Trek Enterprise the other week and there was this sort of mobile mining facility that could move from planet to planet. I think we could do with an alternative in Stargate possibly built by the Ancients in PG (similar to a mini Atlantis but completely airtight). Is should be fully automated so not much man power is required. It could exact and process ore of the three key minerals Naquadah, Trinium and Neutronium as well as other minerals like iron, copper etc. Once enough ore has been refined and the minerals accumulated in cargo holds, they could be shipped through the on board stargate to wherever. We could find it PG replace the depleted ZPM with another one (depending on how many Todd had) and move the facility using the star drive to a wherever it is needed.
                        "So, what's your impression of Alar?"
                        "That he is concealing something."
                        "Like what?"
                        "I am unsure. He is concealing it."

"Well, according to Einstein’s General Theory of Relativity, there’s nothing in the laws of physics to prevent it. Extremely difficult to achieve, mind you – you need the technology to manipulate black holes to create wormholes not only through points in space but time."
                        "Not to mention a really nice DeLorean."
                        "Don’t even get me started on that movie!"
                        "I liked that movie!"

Comment

I had an even better idea. Instead of spending trillions of dollars to build a station which may or may not work lets find a way to make or replenish ZPMs.

Then we can turn all our ships into God's Own Anti SoaB Machine.

What if every earth ship had three ZPMS?

Or we could finally bring in the clique and project Atlantis level planetary shields.

Or even do things like use energy weapons which would be able to utterly destroy our puny enemies.

We could even steal cargo ships and turn then into indestructible guided missiles.

The point is that automated stations are beyond us right now. We need to build up real high tech industry. We can't use some magic Asgard station to get rid of the fact that we have been space faring for only a few years and have no real ship building industry.
                          Last edited by Exthalion; 07 August 2009, 02:24 PM.
                          My Tep senses are tingling.

That I will have to edit is assumed.

Comments and critiques are always welcome. Please, tell me what you think.

Comment

Which is why we should be funneling lots of resources into the Asgard/Ancient cores. Let's keep the money that we are using for 304's and up some money into discovering the secrets of the Asgard and Ancients.
                            If you wish to see more of my rants, diatribes, and general comments, check out my Twitter account SirRyanR!
                            Check out Pharaoh Hamenthotep's wicked 3D renders here!
                            If you can prove me wrong, go for it. I enjoy being proven wrong.

sigpic
                            Worship the Zefron. Always the Zefron.

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                              several things:

Beam construction does not require focus. infact, the ACC requires only a basic set of instructions.

beam construction does not require E=mc^2 energy. beam up the base matter and sequence it properly and that's it. only bonding energy required.

a black hole as a powersource is ridiculous. Hawking's radiation is so weak, its thought to be weaker than background radiation. how this should power such a machine is beyond me. two exceptions: 1: if the BH emits a plasma jet (uncommon), or 2: if there's an acretion disk. the gas in the disk undergoes immense friction, so intense that X-rays are released. this way, you could (indirectly) use the BH for power.

seeing how long the ACC did to build a replicator, a ship takes extremely long. its better to build a single ACC with beaming installation and basic moving thrusters and a NIG or so, toss it in orbit of a resource-rich planet, and make it construct itself. it makes dozens of copy's of itself, which together produce the ship. the construction "nodes" construct individual components, while others beam up those components and assemble them into a ship. more nodes add the last touches to the ship.

several nodes continue to produce nodes, thus constantly enhancing the production rate
                              a black hole as a powersource might be ridiculous from what we no in real life now but on star it works some how we just dont no how. we have seen it work with the supergates.
                              if this power source did work which on the show it does then the station would not need to go to any planets.

Comment

Working...
                              X