PDA

View Full Version : Alphas (Syfy) - News/Discussion/Speculation

Madwelshboy
August 5th, 2009, 12:29 AM
Syfy green-lights Alphas

Syfy has given the green light to the 90-minute action-adventure pilot Alphas, which follows a team of ordinary citizens who possess hyperdeveloped neurological abilities, according to The Hollywood Reporter.

The series comes from writers Zak Penn (X-Men: The Last Stand) and Michael Karnow and BermanBraun Television, the trade paper reported:

In its original incarnation as Section 8, the drama was first taken to NBC through BermanBraun's first-look deal there. After the network passed, the project sparked heated bidding among the other broadcast networks in summer 2007, landing at ABC with a six-episode production order for a possible midseason launch behind Lost.

The show was in preproduction, with writing on the first episode under way, when the WGA strike brought work to a halt.

After the strike, ABC's plans for Section 8 had to be altered. And creative differences over the show's sci-fi elements, with which ABC is said to have been uncomfortable, led to the project's departure from the network.

http://scifiwire.com/2009/08/syfy-green-lights-alphas.php

Madwelshboy
May 24th, 2010, 12:31 PM
'Lost' director for Syfy's 'Alphas'

Lost director and executive producer Jack Bender has signed a deal for Syfy's upcoming Alphas.

Bender, who directed the Lost series finale, will direct and executive produce the show, about a group of people who develop superior mental skills and work together to solve crimes, reports Variety.

The show will also follow the characters' personal lives and relationships.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/ustv/news/a221524/lost-director-for-syfys-alphas.html

DigiFluid
May 24th, 2010, 12:32 PM
Oh dear. An X-Men knockoff from the writer of the abomination 3rd film and anyone involved in Lost?

Pass.

mr_kennedy
May 27th, 2010, 04:26 PM
'Lost' director for Syfy's 'Alphas'

Lost director and executive producer Jack Bender has signed a deal for Syfy's upcoming Alphas.

Bender, who directed the Lost series finale, will direct and executive produce the show, about a group of people who develop superior mental skills and work together to solve crimes, reports Variety.

The show will also follow the characters' personal lives and relationships.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/ustv/news/a221524/lost-director-for-syfys-alphas.html

Sounds like Heroes might check it out

knowles2
May 28th, 2010, 12:59 PM
I check it out.

Wayston
May 29th, 2010, 08:21 AM
meh, doesn't sound either interesting nor original to be honest

mr_kennedy
May 29th, 2010, 04:36 PM
When is this going to air?

the fifth man
May 29th, 2010, 06:27 PM
I'll probably at least check this out.

Madwelshboy
June 28th, 2010, 09:22 AM
Alphas - Latest Casting News

David Strathairn is in negotiations for the lead in SyFy’s action-adventure 90-minute pilot Alphas, directed by Jack Bender. Additionally, Ryan Cartwright is set to co-star in the pilot, from BermanBraun and writers Zak Penn and Michael Karnow. Alphas follows a team of ordinary citizens possessing extraordinary and unusual mental skills who take the law into their own hands and uncover what the CIA, FBI and Pentagon have not been able or willing to solve.

ICM-repped Strathairn would play the overseer/team leader/prescribing doctor and all around mother hen to the team: an eccentric, absent-minded professor at times, who is also a cunning and manipulative power-player willing to bend the rules in pursuit of his objectives. Cartwright will play a member of the team who has Asperger’s syndrome, an autism spectrum disorder. His Alpha ability allows him to "read" wireless transmissions passing through the ether - e-mails, cell phone communications, television signals, etc.

http://www.spoilertv.com/2010/06/alphas-latest-casting-news.html

Dr. Harry Sullivan
July 29th, 2010, 06:02 PM
Malik Yoba And Laura Mennell Join Alphas cast - see link below - :)

http://scifiandtvtalk.typepad.com/scifiandtvtalk/2010/07/malik-yoba-and-laura-mennell-join-syfys-alphas.html#tp

Madwelshboy
August 7th, 2010, 11:31 PM
Tweet from Ryan Cartwright:

First week shooting 'Alphas' done. Wow, it seems like a HUGE production. Felt like a little kid watching them block off half of Toronto

https://twitter.com/RyanCartwright/status/20588213512

Madwelshboy
August 13th, 2010, 10:04 AM
Battlestar, Ghost Whisperer stars join the cast of Syfy's Alphas

Syfy has announced additional casting for its previously announced pilot Alphas, inking actress Azita Ghanizada to co-star in the wry action-adventure project from writers Zak Penn (X-Men: The Last Stand, The Avengers, The Incredible Hulk) and Michael Karnow, it was announced today by Mark Stern, Executive Vice President of Original Programming, Syfy and Co-Head of Content for Universal Cable Productions, which is the studio for the project. She joins previously announced cast members David Strathairn, Ryan Cartwright, Malik Yoba, Warren Christie and Laura Mennell. Additionally, Callum Keith Rennie has been signed to guest star in the pilot.

Alphas is executive produced by Gail Berman, Lloyd Braun and Gene Stein for BermanBraun Television and will be directed by Jack Bender (director and executive producer of Lost). Production is underway in Toronto.

continues:
http://blastr.com/2010/08/battlestar-galactica-ghosphas.php

Madwelshboy
December 8th, 2010, 08:43 AM
Syfy orders 11 episodes of superhero action series Alphas

Remember the Syfy pilot we reported on more than a year ago, about ordinary citizens who gain extraordinary abilities? Well, Syfy must have been impressed by what it saw, because Alphas just got the green light for 11 episodes in addition to that 90-minute pilot.

Here's how an earlier Syfy press release described the series:

Alphas follows a team of ordinary citizens whose brain anomalies imbue them with extraordinary mental and physical abilities. Taking the law into their own hands, the unlikely team, led by Dr. Lee Rosen (David Strathairn) investigates cases that suggest other Alpha activity to uncover what the CIA, FBI and Pentagon have not been able or willing to solve. These gifted individuals must balance their quirky personalities and disparate backgrounds with their not always visible powers as they work to solve crimes, stop the ticking time bomb and catch the enemy.

continues:
http://blastr.com/2010/12/syfy-orders-11-episodes-t.php

Madwelshboy
December 20th, 2010, 11:54 AM
Ira Steven Behr To Run SyFy Series 'Alphas'

Star Trek veteran Ira Steven Behr has joined Syfy's newly picked up series Alphas as executive producer/showrunner. Alphas, from BermanBraun, Universal Cable Prods. and writers Zak Penn and Michael Karnow, stars David Strathairn and follows a team of ordinary citizens who possess extraordinary and unusual mental skills. Behr will serve as an executive producer alongside Penn and BermanBraun's Gail Berman, Lloyd Braun and Gene Stein. The series' 90-minute pilot was directed by Lost director-producer Jack Bender.

Behr has an extensive sci-fi background. He worked on Star Trek: The Next Generation and Star Trek: Deep Space Nine. On Deep Space Nine, he rose to executive producer/showrunner and wrote a total of 53 episodes, more than any other numbers. Behr also served as executive producer/showrunner on USA's sci-fi drama The 4400 as well as on the Straz's series Crash, based on the Oscar-winning feature.

http://www.deadline.com/2010/12/ira-steven-behr-to-run-syfy-series-alphas/

jelgate
December 20th, 2010, 02:50 PM
He if he can do to this show what he did to DS9 I'm optimistic for this show

Spimman
December 25th, 2010, 07:53 PM
So is this a group of regular citizens that use mental powers to solve crimes? I'll give it a shot, but I'm skeptical.

LtColCarter
May 2nd, 2011, 05:23 PM
Interesting...at least it will give me something to watch this summer.

Sp!der
May 2nd, 2011, 11:56 PM
Nah, sounds to much heroes/4400 style! sorry guys, watched to much of these kind of shows!

LtColCarter
May 3rd, 2011, 06:13 AM
Nah, sounds to much heroes/4400 style! sorry guys, watched to much of these kind of shows!

Never could get into Heros...but I loved The 4400! :)

Sp!der
May 3rd, 2011, 09:56 AM
Never could get into Heros...but I loved The 4400! :)

Yes, The 4400 were great! I loved Joel Gretsch and her partner (forgot her name but she was good!) the first and second were the best, I cannot quite remember the third and fourth season...though..have to watch them again but it was definitley better than Heroes..!!!

RoK
May 20th, 2011, 11:00 PM
I was thinking that it sounded like Heroes. I'm a fan of that show, but I'm not sure about this show. I might watch an episode or two to see if I like it.

Spimman
July 6th, 2011, 05:41 AM
I was thinking that it sounded like Heroes. I'm a fan of that show, but I'm not sure about this show. I might watch an episode or two to see if I like it.

Me too, although it sounds a little more organized than Heroes. Hopefully they know where they want the story to go.

Skydiver
July 6th, 2011, 06:16 PM
its worth a watch, time will tell if it has promise or if it falls victim to a parade of cliches

Spimman
July 7th, 2011, 05:43 AM
It has an added benefit of being placed behind 2 of the most (if not the most) popular science fiction shows (in terms of ratings) SyFy currently has. The fact that it isn't competing against any ratings giants on network tv or following wrestling is also a plus.

magictrick
July 7th, 2011, 10:18 AM
I will at least check out the pilot, but right now this doesn't promising. The story seems unoriginal (Heroes, Mutant X) and the creator is the writer behind X-men Last Stand.

Killdeer
July 8th, 2011, 02:50 PM
I plan to check this one out, but I admit my expectations are not high.

Also, it's on at the same time as Rizzoli & Isles, so it'll be recorded to watch later. ;)

Skydiver
July 8th, 2011, 04:18 PM
ah, bugger, know i forgot to set the recorder for something :)

and yeah, worth checking out, but holding the expectations low. my experience has taught me that anything that's really, really over hyped is usually because the hype is disproportionate to the quality of the show. (ie the harder they pimp it it's because they know it's - at its most basic - not all that good)

magictrick
July 9th, 2011, 11:41 AM
ah, bugger, know i forgot to set the recorder for something :)

and yeah, worth checking out, but holding the expectations low. my experience has taught me that anything that's really, really over hyped is usually because the hype is disproportionate to the quality of the show. (ie the harder they pimp it it's because they know it's - at its most basic - not all that good)

The hype strategy seems to have worked well for Game of Thrones and Falling Skies :P

I have not seen any hype about this show.

Skydiver
July 9th, 2011, 03:53 PM
depends on your POV. it's promotion reminds me of Heroes.

magictrick
July 10th, 2011, 06:44 PM

The concept here definitely seems to be really similar which is why I'm skeptical. Heroes had one great season and then just plummeted because they really didn't know where they were going with it. Lets hope Alphas doesn't follow suit.

Skydiver
July 10th, 2011, 07:04 PM
they key, imho, to any show like this is to have some idea where you're going before you start...dont' just make it up as you go along.

I feel it's the difference between Lost and BSG. BSG seemed to have a plan and plot and ending in mind when it started. Lost seemed to start good, then each year it seemed like they made it up as they went along, dropping good plot bits, then dragging things out to fill time....it made a very inconsistent show that seemed to plug along in fits and starts.

well thought out stories and plots make a good steady show with staying power. flash in the pan 'look at the pretty' shows dont' last long. because while they look pretty, viewers soon get bored with a lack of substance. I feel that heroes got so caught up in its hype that it forgot to have a story. I kinda liken it to shows like 'finding bigfoot', where, every week, the promos suggest 'hey, we found something, tune in and find out what it is'...but you know had they REALLY found something it woulda made the national news as it was taped, not months later.

LtColCarter
July 11th, 2011, 05:50 AM
Alphas starts to night! Woo-hoo!

Ibn Rushd
July 11th, 2011, 09:30 AM
Am willing to give this a try. The commercials on Space make it interesting. I know my dad is excited about it.

Spimman
July 11th, 2011, 10:17 AM

I hope they don't go the "new power of the week" route like Heroes did, and I agree that they need a plan. A special forces unit could have lots of possibilities, which the previews kind of look like.

RJLCyberPunk
July 11th, 2011, 08:58 PM
Well the pilot did not disappoint, let's hope they can keep the pace

Sp!der
July 11th, 2011, 09:27 PM

Nice to hear that, I think I will try, and watch this next week!

mr_kennedy
July 12th, 2011, 03:42 AM
i liked it, i dont think its like heroes, i think its more like x-men comics, heres hoping the quality will get better as the show gets older

J-Whitt Remastered
July 12th, 2011, 04:00 AM

That's good to hear. I recorded it to watch later. I'll get around to it when I'm all caught up on homework.

blueray
July 12th, 2011, 06:45 AM
as i said on the other thread if anything this show reminds me of human target (which is good thing). hopefully there will be episode about them solving crimes, that have nothing to do with powers and that they don't fall into the freak-of-the-week thing many of these shows do.

MediaSavant
July 12th, 2011, 11:46 AM
SYFY PRESS RELEASE:

Syfy’s Alphas premiered to 2.5 million viewers and a 0.9 adults 18-49 rating and was the most-watched and highest-rated of the trio of Monday shows. More detail below via press release:

SYFY’S NEW MONDAY NIGHT SCRIPTED PROGRAMMING BLOCK GETS OFF TO POWERFUL START LED BY ALPHAS 2.5 MILLION TOTAL VIEWERS – MOST WATCHED CHANNEL DEBUT IN TWO YEARS!

ALPHAS, Warehouse 13 AND Eureka ALL AVERAGE MORE THAN TWO MILLION VIEWERS

HIGHEST MONDAY TIME PERIOD AUDIENCE FOR SCRIPTED SERIES IN OVER 10 YEARS

NEW YORK – July 12, 2011 – Sparked by Alphas – the most watched Syfy series debut since 2009 – the channel’s powerful new Monday night scripted programming block of Eureka, Warehouse 13 and Alphas each delivered more than two million total viewers from 8-11:30PM (ET/PT) on July 11.

This marked Syfy’s highest Monday time period audience for scripted series in over 10 years.

At 10PM Alphas found 2.5 million total viewers, 1.2 million Adults 18-49 and 1.3 million Adults 25-54 along with a 1.84 HH rating, the top-rated series premiere since Warehouse 13 debuted in July 2009, the same night Syfy launched its new brand evolution.

From 9-10PM, the season three premiere of Warehouse 13 snagged, bagged and tagged 2.3 million total viewers, 1.0 million Adults 18-49 and 1.2 million Adults 25-54 with a 1.74 HH rating.

Eureka’s season 4.5 return kicked off the night at 8PM by grabbing 2.0 million total viewers, 893,000 Adults 18-49 and 987,000 Adults 25-54, while averaging a 1.5 HH rating.

Boosted by the premieres of Alphas, Warehouse 13 and Eureka, Syfy.com delivered its best day in video streams (378K) since 11/1/2009; uniques (376K) since 10/31/10; page views (1.4 million) since 3/18/11, and visits (373K) since 1/17/11.

Syfy’s Summer Premiere Week continues on Wednesday, July 13, with the third season of Ghost Hunters International at 9PM, followed by the premiere of Legend Quest at 10PM. On Friday, July 15, Haven returns for its second season at 10PM.

Syfy is a media destination for imagination-based entertainment. With year round acclaimed original series, events, blockbuster movies, classic science fiction and fantasy programming, a dynamic Web site (www.Syfy.com), and a portfolio of adjacent business (Syfy Ventures), Syfy is a passport to limitless possibilities. Originally launched in 1992 as SCI FI Channel, and currently in more than 99 million homes, Syfy is a network of NBCUniversal, one of the world’s leading media and entertainment companies. (Syfy. Imagine greater.)

maxbo
July 13th, 2011, 03:37 AM
I enjoyed the first episode, but agree that the creators better have a well thought out long-range plan for the show. Otherwise, it could go down the same sorry road that Lost, Heroes and BSG did.

Scottish_Girl
July 13th, 2011, 06:16 AM
I really enjoyed this. Pilot episodes always have a difficult job introducing the characters, settings etc and this did it pretty well. Now I'm interested to see how the rest of the season pans out. :)

KEK
July 13th, 2011, 09:51 AM
"All alpha skills come with a downside"

Convenient :lol:

maxbo
July 13th, 2011, 03:33 PM
Putting a cap on their skills is a plus for me because I don't want to see an all-powerful Sylar-type character as a regular on this show, at this point. When the writers for Heroes abandoned their original idea to kill off Sylar the show took a wrong turn because that character was too powerful to keep around as a series regular.

So far, the writers for Alpha seem to realize that their characters need personal challenges to keep things interesting. If the show lasts long enough I wouldn't have a problem seeing their powers grow, but I don't want them to be too powerful immediately.

retiredat44
July 13th, 2011, 04:41 PM
I found at least two characters annoying, and made me wish Heroes was still on. I will probably dump that off my 'watch list'. That wil save me from having to get pissed when they cancel it..

magictrick
July 14th, 2011, 05:32 AM
I watched the first episode and it was ok. I like that there is an effort to identify that they all have limitations when it comes to using their powers. The character that can increase some of her senses at the cost of the other is a pretty cool idea.

J-Whitt Remastered
July 14th, 2011, 06:24 AM
The character that can increase some of her senses at the cost of the other is a pretty cool idea.

Sci-Fi had another character like that before. James Ellison on "The Sentinel." The pilot for that show was MUCH more interesting IMO. I found myself bored and playing with my iPod in about 30 minutes. I really wish the show had held me better. It's too bad.

Gollumpus
July 18th, 2011, 12:02 PM
It is interesting that the characters have limits, not only in the use of their powers but also that they are limited in their ability to carry firearms. I suspect that the firearms thing will disappear as the series continues, or with the addition of the Hicks character, they now have a second individual who at least has training in the use of firearms (though he has no license to do so).

I find it amazing that the group would allow the Pirzad character to go someplace alone, where she would be using her power. I know it's a pilot, and the writer(s) want to build some tension, but this is a group of characters who have been working together for some time prior to the viewing audience coming into the show. Sending in one of their number alone is bad enough, but one who will potentially be defenseless while using her power, is STOOPID.

regards,
G.

JTVaughn
July 20th, 2011, 03:44 AM
Putting a cap on their skills is a plus for me because I don't want to see an all-powerful Sylar-type character as a regular on this show, at this point. When the writers for Heroes abandoned their original idea to kill off Sylar the show took a wrong turn because that character was too powerful to keep around as a series regular.

So far, the writers for Alpha seem to realize that their characters need personal challenges to keep things interesting. If the show lasts long enough I wouldn't have a problem seeing their powers grow, but I don't want them to be too powerful immediately.

Absolutely this. Flawed powers and flawed characters make for a much more interesting series. When a power is too powerful, you lose all sense of drama.

Commander Zelix
July 24th, 2011, 02:35 PM
I enjoyed the first episode, but agree that the creators better have a well thought out long-range plan for the show. Otherwise, it could go down the same sorry road that Lost, Heroes and BSG did.
I don't think they're going for that lost, heroes bsg kind of series. More like Warehouse, Fringe or Eureka kind.

morbosfist
July 25th, 2011, 07:11 PM
I'll have to wait for the episode to repeat so I can watch the extended preview again, but did anyone else see Summer Glau near the end?

magictrick
July 26th, 2011, 11:39 AM
This show feels like a poor man's Fringe. You've got a special team that works on unique cases, usually ones that are out of this world. I see the trend here and it isn't anything new. The major difference is that the team members themselves have special powers. But thus far they are not really all that interesting.

KEK
July 26th, 2011, 10:53 PM
Does anyone know which episode Alaina will be in?

Giantevilhead
July 27th, 2011, 01:47 AM
This show feels like a poor man's Fringe. You've got a special team that works on unique cases, usually ones that are out of this world. I see the trend here and it isn't anything new. The major difference is that the team members themselves have special powers. But thus far they are not really all that interesting.

Fringe isn't exactly original either. It's basically a serial version of X-Files, and X-Files was inspired by shows like The Outer Limits and The Twilight Zone.

LtColCarter
July 29th, 2011, 09:20 AM
Fringe isn't exactly original either. It's basically a serial version of X-Files, and X-Files was inspired by shows like The Outer Limits and The Twilight Zone.

IMHO...Fringe blows X-Files out of the water. But this isn't the thread for that conversation. I agree, Alphas sort of feels like a poor man's Fringe. I stated in another thread, that I try to watch Alphas, but my attention is easily taken away from the show. I've not been too impressed by it yet. I thought it was a good concept, and I wanted to like the show...but I shouldn't have to struggle to keep my attention on a show or struggle to stay awake to watch it.

mr_kennedy
July 30th, 2011, 03:58 AM
IMHO...Fringe blows X-Files out of the water. But this isn't the thread for that conversation. I agree, Alphas sort of feels like a poor man's Fringe. I stated in another thread, that I try to watch Alphas, but my attention is easily taken away from the show. I've not been too impressed by it yet. I thought it was a good concept, and I wanted to like the show...but I shouldn't have to struggle to keep my attention on a show or struggle to stay awake to watch it.

Heh thats what i say about Warehouse 13 and Warehouse 13 is good, this..... idk what this is, a poor mans Heroes(circa s2)???? IMHO i think i would rather have a season 5 of Heroes

However I'm sticking with it till the end of the season but if it doesnt improve im done

dtheories
July 30th, 2011, 06:44 AM
I really enjoy Alphas. This last week was the first ep to have some cluncky bits, but the production is excellent, writing fun and quick and acting is excellent from the main characters. It's in its first season and that means a lot of information to present and kinks to work out, but definitely has great potential. Looking forward to more!

Giantevilhead
August 2nd, 2011, 02:26 AM

But Fringe is a network show while Alphas is a cable show and that means a pretty big budget difference. It's also a problem that the show needs to overcome. It's difficult to do stories about people with super powers when you don't have the effects budget to actually show those powers.

dtheories
August 2nd, 2011, 04:57 PM
Last night's episode was fantastic! Gary is a incredible character and the chemistry and timing between he and Ana was perfect. This is going to be good!

Browncoat1984
August 3rd, 2011, 10:49 AM
So far I'm finding the show interesting, but not ready to make a judgement on it yet. It reminds me more of the failed No Ordinary Family than anything else. It does what No Ordinary Family didn't do much of - it actually moves fast and has good action to it. I think I cared more for the characters in No Ordinary Family than I do in Alphas so far though.

nayanroo
August 9th, 2011, 01:28 PM
I'm kind of pleased with how they're handling things like autism in the show. Gary is one of my favorite characters and I'm hoping his character development ends up being as awesome as it seems like it could be. Sometimes it feels like he's the one who gets things done, lol.

Gollumpus
August 9th, 2011, 06:47 PM
I would like them to introduce other Alphas, maybe even including members of Red Flag, who are not crazy or violent.

How about some "ordinary" guy/gal, who happens to be an Alpha, who may have joined Red Flag but doesn't really share the more reactionary ideals of the organization. This other Alpha could become a confidant of one or more of the other cast members, but their existence would be kept from any official channels. Maybe another family member of one of the characters could be used. It would be nice to see that there would be a third choice for these people.

Right now it's pretty much the Alphas in DCIS vs evil Alpha of the week. Kinda' boring.

regards,
G.

Angela V
August 12th, 2011, 12:14 AM
I'm kind of pleased with how they're handling things like autism in the show. Gary is one of my favorite characters and I'm hoping his character development ends up being as awesome as it seems like it could be. Sometimes it feels like he's the one who gets things done, lol.

I've been watching this show with my kids (have one more episode to catch up on). Both said they love Gary. I find the show interesting and am hoping it improves because I think it can be a really great show with some time. Though with SyFy that can be a bad thing. Ratings seem fine so maybe it'll survive for a bit longer to get it's footing better.

Sp!der
August 12th, 2011, 12:43 PM
any news on canceling or not? I wont watch it if it canceled after the first season :(

Gollumpus
August 12th, 2011, 01:04 PM
any news on canceling or not? I wont watch it if it canceled after the first season :(

To my knowledge there are no plans to cancel "Alphas". This being said, why wait to hear if it is going to be cancelled or before watching it? Just jump in a watch. If you figure your time would be better spent doing something else, then just go do something else. :)

regards,
G.

Killdeer
August 12th, 2011, 01:28 PM
I was thinking about this the other day, and I realized that I would probably like this show better if the powers had been distributed differently. Other than Gary, it seems like the men have the physical powers and the women have the mental powers. I would have liked to see at least one of the women have a more physically active power - I think that would have held my interest a little better.

Do you all like how the powers are distributed, or would you switch them around?

magictrick
August 12th, 2011, 09:55 PM
I was thinking about this the other day, and I realized that I would probably like this show better if the powers had been distributed differently. Other than Gary, it seems like the men have the physical powers and the women have the mental powers. I would have liked to see at least one of the women have a more physically active power - I think that would have held my interest a little better.

Do you all like how the powers are distributed, or would you switch them around?

So Nina could be the super strong one and Bill the one who influences people? That's a cool idea.

I think it sounds cool in theory but it is hard to actually write in an interesting way. I mean after the initial wow factor they would need to find ways to keep it interesting. It is probably a lot easier to draw an audience with the way they have it setup (i.e. the most attractive lady is the one with the powers of seduction, etc.). This is stereotypical but this seems to be what makes shows successful nowadays.

Gollumpus
August 13th, 2011, 12:25 AM

I suspect that they are in a damned if they do, damned if they don't situation. If they did swap the strength ability to a woman there would likely be a whack of people suggesting that it was as big a "counter-cliche" as having it with a male, not to mention all the PMS jokes it would prompt.

If they gave the strength ability to a 98 pound weakling, they'd get comparisons to the Hulk.

Other than the apparent strength and charm stereotypes, the other abilities are fairly interchangeable with regard to gender. However, I think there are some things which could be done.

Why does the main cast (outside of Rosen) all have to be fairly young, and attractive. Why not make one of them really geeky looking, and I don't mean "geek" in its modern day tekkie usage. The biggest departure is Gary's autism, and even he could be made as a much older character. And they either keep the mother (only have her much older as well) or make her a sister, who might be younger.

Why not portray the Nina character as being older, and/or not particularly good looking? Further, give her an inferiority complex so she has to fight that when she tries to "push" people.

regards,
G.

IcarusAbides
August 13th, 2011, 10:57 AM
I suspect that they are in a damned if they do, damned if they don't situation. If they did swap the strength ability to a woman there would likely be a whack of people suggesting that it was as big a "counter-cliche" as having it with a male, not to mention all the PMS jokes it would prompt.

If they gave the strength ability to a 98 pound weakling, they'd get comparisons to the Hulk.

Other than the apparent strength and charm stereotypes, the other abilities are fairly interchangeable with regard to gender. However, I think there are some things which could be done.

Why does the main cast (outside of Rosen) all have to be fairly young, and attractive. Why not make one of them really geeky looking, and I don't mean "geek" in its modern day tekkie usage. The biggest departure is Gary's autism, and even he could be made as a much older character. And they either keep the mother (only have her much older as well) or make her a sister, who might be younger.

Why not portray the Nina character as being older, and/or not particularly good looking? Further, give her an inferiority complex so she has to fight that when she tries to "push" people.

regards,
G.

Some interesting ideas with that. My main problem with the powers at the moment is with Bill, I know he has super strength but so far he's actually been pretty useless even with his ability, he tends to use it at the wrong time and burns out pretty quickly when using it.

VampyreWraith
August 13th, 2011, 01:38 PM
I like how the powers are distributed. I like the mental powers in this series better than the physical ones so far,(in gereral, I also usually like mental powers a lot better than physical ones). I find Nina's, Rachel's and Gary's powers a more interesting than Hick's or Bill's.

IcarusAbides
August 13th, 2011, 03:55 PM
I like how the powers are distributed. I like the mental powers in this series better than the physical ones so far,(in gereral, I also usually like mental powers a lot better than physical ones). I find Nina's, Rachel's and Gary's powers a more interesting than Hick's or Bill's.

All the powers are mental based even the physical ones but I get what your saying.

VampyreWraith
August 13th, 2011, 04:12 PM
All the powers are mental based even the physical ones but I get what your saying.

Yes, I understand that all the powers are mental based, I used the wording("mental powers" and "physical powers") in my answer as was used in the original question/post by Killdeer.

IcarusAbides
August 13th, 2011, 04:21 PM
Yes, I understand that all the powers are mental based, I used the wording("mental powers" and "physical powers") in my answer as was used in the original question/post by Killdeer.

Fair enough, I wasn't having a go.

I like the show but I wonder how far they can go with the different powers thing. I'm just not sure how many different abilities they can come up with to keep the show interesting. What I like about Gary and Rachel is that they have abilities that are different to what's been done before in other shows but the rest of the main cast and the villains all seems to have abilities that I've seen before.

VampyreWraith
August 13th, 2011, 06:20 PM
Coming up with different, never before seen abilities, will probably be a problem, because there's been so many different movies/tv series/books/comics about mutants or genetically altered/advanced humans. I think any of the abilities are just going to end up being powers that have been done before, but just presented differently; either by toning them down and/or making them seem more concrete or practical(which is basically what they've been doing with almost all the Alphas I guess) Eventually they're going to have to move on from just the new Alpha of the week episodes and go more into what's going on a larger scale. That already seems to be happening a bit, and I hope that ends up being focused on a little more sometime soon.

Personally, it really doesn't bother me if I've seen a certain ability or plot before, as long as I find the characters, how they interact with each other, and how the story is presented interesting; so far I'm pleased with how the series is going. :)

IcarusAbides
August 14th, 2011, 01:28 PM
Coming up with different, never before seen abilities, will probably be a problem, because there's been so many different movies/tv series/books/comics about mutants or genetically altered/advanced humans. I think any of the abilities are just going to end up being powers that have been done before, but just presented differently; either by toning them down and/or making them seem more concrete or practical(which is basically what they've been doing with almost all the Alphas I guess) Eventually they're going to have to move on from just the new Alpha of the week episodes and go more into what's going on a larger scale. That already seems to be happening a bit, and I hope that ends up being focused on a little more sometime soon.

Personally, it really doesn't bother me if I've seen a certain ability or plot before, as long as I find the characters, how they interact with each other, and how the story is presented interesting; so far I'm pleased with how the series is going. :)

Good answer and your right that the Alpha of the week plot could get boring, the red flag thing is interesting but at the moment it's a framing device for the Alpha of the week. Hopefully it will become bigger and give us a proper story arc later on.

VampyreWraith
August 14th, 2011, 08:10 PM
Good answer and your right that the Alpha of the week plot could get boring, the red flag thing is interesting but at the moment it's a framing device for the Alpha of the week. Hopefully it will become bigger and give us a proper story arc later on.

Yep :), I'm also hoping they go into what might be going on at Binghamton more and maybe tie that into the Red Flag thing. I think getting more into that kind of stuff, would make the show more interesting long term, than just investigating suspicious deaths or crimes that are possibly being caused by random Alphas every week.

magictrick
August 15th, 2011, 09:47 AM
Yep :), I'm also hoping they go into what might be going on at Binghamton more and maybe tie that into the Red Flag thing. I think getting more into that kind of stuff, would make the show more interesting long term, than just investigating suspicious deaths or crimes that are possibly being caused by random Alphas every week.

They better. It will get lame fast if every episode concludes with so and so Alpha being sent to Binghamton and that's the end of it. Actually this has been the trend in almost all the episodes so far. I hope its at least building up to something.

IcarusAbides
August 15th, 2011, 09:50 AM
They better. It will get lame fast if every episode concludes with so and so Alpha being sent to Binghamton and that's the end of it. Actually this has been the trend in almost all the episodes so far. I hope its at least building up to something.

Any chance Rosen will send one of the team undercover into Binghamton to investigate what's going on there, not sure though as he seems to be in denial about what really goes on there.

retiredat44
August 16th, 2011, 01:51 AM
Heh thats what i say about Warehouse 13 and Warehouse 13 is good, this..... idk what this is, a poor mans Heroes(circa s2)???? IMHO i think i would rather have a season 5 of Heroes

However I'm sticking with it till the end of the season but if it doesnt improve im done

I cannot stand to watch it... I gave it a try.. but guess I will just find other things to do... as they keep cancelling the best shows and putting shows on that I don't care for...
I just can't see how this show will last,, unless people are so desperate they will watch the bad stuff left after all the godo shows were cancelled... so sad..

could the Gary character be any more annoying? (rhetorical).

Gollumpus
August 22nd, 2011, 03:26 PM
I cannot stand to watch it... I gave it a try.. but guess I will just find other things to do... as they keep cancelling the best shows and putting shows on that I don't care for...
I just can't see how this show will last,, unless people are so desperate they will watch the bad stuff left after all the godo shows were cancelled... so sad..

could the Gary character be any more annoying? (rhetorical).

I figured this show to be a one or two season wonder. This being said, I looked up some info on their ratings:

"The pilot episode premiered with 2.5 million total viewers, scoring 1.2 million viewers in the 18-49 demographic and 1.3 million in the 25-54 demographic, making it SyFy's most watched debut in two years. Live + 7 day ratings for the series premiere updated those numbers to 3.6 million total viewers, scoring 1.7 million viewers in the 18-49 demographic and 1.8 million in the 25-54 demographic."

It seems that they are doing something right, so perhaps they'll be around for three or more seasons. Of course, since this is a SyFy program they could be cut to make room for re-runs of classic wrestling bouts between Bruno Sammartino and the Iron Sheik.

regards,
G.

Giantevilhead
August 23rd, 2011, 03:27 AM
I hope they have multiple recurring villains and rival organizations. Red Flag may not be that dangerous. There could be big organized criminal organizations like the Triad and the Yakuza that use Alphas to commit crimes. Corporations could use them for industrial espionage. Other countries that use Alphas as spies or soldiers. Maybe the whole reason why Binghamton exists is to counter programs by hostile nations meant to train an army of Alphas for the purposes of war and sabotage. Not to mention the fact that there could be individually powerful Alphas who could pose a big threat. Although I doubt that they'd make a character as ridiculous as Sylar. I'm guessing that if they have an Alpha that could steal powers, it would be someone like Rachel but instead they use their power to analyze and decode the genes that give Alphas their power and use some sort of gene therapy to give him/herself additional powers.

Commander Zelix
October 5th, 2011, 10:08 AM
Eureka's Bruce Miller Replacing Ira Behr as New Showrunner.
(http://www.deadline.com/2011/09/bruce-miller-joins-syfy-series-alphas-as-new-showrunner/)

Horrible news for Alpha fans in my opinion. I have nothing against Bruce Miller but I love the tone of Alphas very much and the storylines I don't want to see anybody else messing it with. Alphas as some kind of natural realistic grittiness to it. It's not overdone or anything and it still got humor but it's nothing alike Eureka which is a nice soft sci-fi comedy. Hopefully, he wont turn Alphas into Eureka in tone. I like Alpha the way it was. I thought second season was going to be great.

Giantevilhead
December 11th, 2011, 04:05 AM
Ira is a great writer but he has made mistakes. He was the one who made Dukat into a one dimensional villain.

knowles2
January 9th, 2012, 12:28 PM
The first season of Alphas would good but lack depth of universe creation, Eureka is even worst not only does it lack depth of universe but depth to any of its characters.

But season1 of Alphas was always on the l path to improvement and season 1 was about establishing the characters, hopefully season 2 would have built upon the world these characters live in and the wider world. The last episode where Dr. Lee Rosenfinally grew a pair was brilliant. The only disappointing thing was the team nievity in staying in there headquarters and not going on the run and not reliesing there would be a response from the government.

I just hope miller do not dumb the series down.

Gen. Chris
May 29th, 2012, 02:28 PM
Package art for season 1

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Alphas-Season-1-Box-Art/16999

knowles2
June 4th, 2012, 10:12 AM
More news about season 2

http://www.sfx.co.uk/2012/05/28/alphas-season-2-new-showrunner-speaks/

http://www.alphastv.net/2012/06/more-spoilers-from-bruce-miller-sfx.html
An Miller interview

[Nina] will "go through a big transformation this season, as she leaves the team and kind of falls off the wagon, and goes into what we call a 'push spiral'. Her ability is that she can mentally dominate people, get you to do what she wants. She starts using that to a pathetic and deeply troubling level, going around and pushing her way through life until she ends up getting anything she wants; robbing banks, doing all sorts of things. Our team has to sort of rescue her from the edge of that. It's a character that's such a fantasy fulfilment, to get anything you want. But it means that nothing you have means anything. We get to see that, that she has nothing in her life that means anything to her. It's just emptier and emptier. The more she pushes the emptier it gets. We find a way to bring her back, and through this story she finds a new way to look at her life and a new way to look at her role on the team and the people in her life. It's a very big journey."

A love triangle really, after season 1 that the best they can come up with. An from the article it seems they are ignoring Rosen declaration of war against the government as well, which is what essentially did last year.

This is what happens when you change show runners, it seems Miller is intent on changing the show from it brilliant first season.

Round up for the first 8 episodes

http://www.alphastv.net/2012/05/spoilers-roundup-for-first-eight.html

season 2 photos

http://www.alphastv.net/2012/05/first-alphas-season-two-photos-and-new.html

VampyreWraith
July 6th, 2012, 07:26 AM
Some news on guest stars for season 2

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2012/07/05/new-season-of-alphas-to-feature-guest-stars-summer-glau-sean-astin-c-thomas-howell-lauren-holly-more/140590/

RJLCyberPunk
July 14th, 2012, 04:46 PM
For the looks of it we can rest easy on the rumors that the storyline at the end of season 1 was not to be followed up given the current trailer of the upcoming season.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiGJ3PlXYGM

Gen. Chris
October 22nd, 2012, 12:01 PM
Sadly I might have to miss the finale tonight, depending on how much work I get done in the next few hours. Of course, it would probably help if I got off Gateworld and got to work :P

VampyreWraith
October 22nd, 2012, 01:59 PM
I'm an episode behind. I need to watch the other ep before I watch the finale. I didn't even realize that it was the finale tonight.

Gen. Chris
December 22nd, 2012, 12:47 PM
http://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/alphas-has-the-syfy-tv-show-been-cancelled-26083/

Seems as if they are still deliberating on whether there will be a third season or not.

TheRandomOne
December 22nd, 2012, 04:00 PM
Based on how long Syfy dicked around with Sanctuary. Do not expect good things. Especially with such a long wait

Gen. Chris
December 22nd, 2012, 04:08 PM
Based on how long Syfy dicked around with Sanctuary. Do not expect good things. Especially with such a long wait

I know.

I hope it survives. It was getting good for me.

TheRandomOne
December 24th, 2012, 05:14 AM
This is my Alphas Video Montage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUUc0wjCCfA

jelgate
January 16th, 2013, 04:09 PM
http://blog.zap2it.com/frominsidethebox/2013/01/alphas-cancelled-by-syfy-after-two-seasons.html

Syfy released the following statement: "Syfy has decided not to renew Alphas for a third season. We've been proud to present this entertaining, high-quality series for two seasons and to work with an incredible ensemble of talented actors, producers and creatives as well as our partners at BermanBraun Television. We'd like to thank the show's dedicated regular viewers for their tremendous support

Gen. Chris
January 16th, 2013, 06:18 PM
Goddammit...The second I saw someone (Jelgate) had posted in this on the main page, I just knew it...And they left it like that. LIKE THAT...?!

Freaking SyFy. If it wasn't for Haven, Defiance (upcoming) and Warehouse 13 (though only barely after that half season) I'd quit watching.

I'm going to go swear in a corner...very profusely.

Sp!der
January 16th, 2013, 10:35 PM
One less show I'm not going to watch...

mr_kennedy
January 16th, 2013, 10:44 PM
I havent seen s2 yet but i Can't say i'm not surprised......

knowles2
January 17th, 2013, 01:45 AM
well that disappointing, but then they did make a lot of changes in the second season, did not quite gain back the magic of the first season, an changing show runner is always a dangerous thing to. It sad that the best bit of the season was the banter between Rachel, Nina Kat, Skylar, in the lift in the last episode, and the only 2nd season episode where they actually felt like they were a team again.

I think the rest of Alpha creative team clearly fought against syfy creative decisions, they certainly did not want to get drag into doing cross overs with syfy other properties.

Now there really isn't anything on Scifi that interests me at all apart from Defiance. An that looks way to expensive to stay around for long, an the way they have completely destroyed there successful line up of shows over the last 5 years have push a lot of fans away from watching their channel anyway. An this at the time where HBO, AMC, TNT, an others are investing in original drama series, even sci-fi and Fantasy shows that are gaining huge ratings for those channels, often breaking records for cable series.

zultara
January 17th, 2013, 07:34 PM
I could not post anywhere on SyFy's site about my anger they canceled one of my favorite shows Alphas! While they put on these ridiculous ghost hunter shows that are not even really entertaining, they cancel good shows with great actors! I feel robbed. I wanted to see justice for Danielle and I wanted to see what other possible abilities could result as each character learned to control their abilities. Curse you SyFy for selling out once again to mainstream people that have no imagination. :mad:

jelgate
January 17th, 2013, 07:52 PM
Ghost Hunters has enough ratings to keep the show going. While I may personally not like the show it must be entertaining too enough people. Something Alphas apparently lacks

lopo30
January 18th, 2013, 12:43 PM
well syfy with there raitings and never is enough for them so the new show that comes in april will last one season or maybe two but thats it cause then the show will cost to much to make and raitings are low and will get axed

it's a road to pankruptcy for the SYFY channel and it started with before the channel name change .. all things that are good will get canceled in that channel without ending .. the syfy channel needs to respect there viewers and if they cant afford to make these shows then end them with proper endings and then cancel them

all tv channel's should respect viewers and end stories they started to show people and not leave the shows hanging with a end where the show is in the most interesting part

jelgate
January 18th, 2013, 02:33 PM
That makes absolutely no business sense. Canceling shows that don't make profits lead to banruptacy makes no sense at all

Morbo
January 19th, 2013, 01:22 PM
i didn't watch the show, but syfy is really alienating their core fanbase. badly.
taking stargate off was a terrible idea. taking eureka off was an even worse idea. they are a tiny little niche channel that has already turned most of their viewers against them - it's terrible management to keep removing shows that your tiny little portion of TVdom is interested in.

predict channel disappears in <5 years.

jelgate
January 19th, 2013, 03:03 PM
Given SyFy's recent finances I highly doubt your predicition will come to pass

knowles2
January 20th, 2013, 02:49 PM
Given SyFy's recent finances I highly doubt your predicition will come to pass

May be the channel will still be around, but it will have zero science fiction shows on the channel in 5 years time. Certainly if they are willing to cancel shows with Alphas ratings.

Plus why even authorise a new show if you know it not going to be profitable at between 1.5 and 2.5 million audience and a 0.5, which seems pretty standard for drama shows on syfy channel. An Alphas look positively cheap compare to Defiance.

Gen. Chris
January 20th, 2013, 03:47 PM
But Defiance is gathering a lot of buzz outside of SyFy, I believe. So it may draw more viewers. Alphas never really got much buzz. That may be a contributing factor to audience.

We'll just have to see. I will definitely watch Defiance but I will try not to like it too much just in case...

lopo30
January 21st, 2013, 04:08 PM
sgu had lots of buzz to but still got only 2 seasons and axed after first season
thing is that with in last 10 years or so SYFY channel ratings for all good shows have being under 2 million as average

all new shows get more viewers at first but after few episodes it will drop and if SYFY dont let shows to advance then people can see that the channel is pointless

SYFY wants a tv show that get's 5miljon viewers per episode but it will never see these numbers in scifi genre and mostly cause of there reputation of axing shows after first or second season

RoK
February 3rd, 2013, 01:31 AM
I'm pretty mad now that Syfy cancelled Alphas. The only shows that are keeping me too the channel is Continuum and Defiance (when it comes out). I won't even know if I'll like Defiance, but I'm willing to give it a try at least.

By the way, do they still do wrestling on the channel?

Gen. Chris
February 3rd, 2013, 11:01 AM
By the way, do they still do wrestling on the channel?

What do you think?

RoK
February 3rd, 2013, 10:52 PM
What do you think?

I'm assuming it's a yes.

Commander Zelix
February 11th, 2013, 12:42 PM
Oh, god. They really did that. They really cancelled Alphas? I don't care about Defiance and there's nothing else to see on Syfy now.

Gen. Chris
February 11th, 2013, 01:53 PM
Zelix, don't write out Defiance just yet. It may turn out to be a smash hit.

RoK
February 12th, 2013, 01:10 AM
I'm willing to give Defiance a try, and I'm not even sure I'll like like it. You have to at least be willing to give it a try.

TheRandomOne
February 12th, 2013, 04:43 AM
This is what people would call. The Summer Glau Curse. Hawaii Five 0 is probably next

Gen. Chris
February 12th, 2013, 10:34 AM
This is what people would call. The Summer Glau Curse. Hawaii Five 0 is probably next

God I thought the same thing when she made her second appearance on the show. I had noticed this a couple years ago and found out other people have thought of the same thing...Everything she has had a recurring or starring role in has ended long before its time...

jelgate
February 12th, 2013, 12:41 PM
More TV shows fail then succeed. The Glau curse is about as credible as the Seinfeld curse

Gen. Chris
February 12th, 2013, 01:01 PM
I'm not saying it's an actual curse. Just something that I (and others) have noticed.

Cluas
March 7th, 2013, 02:30 AM
Alphas is cancelled ?
Really, I thought there was gonna be a season 3...

:comeon:

Angela V
March 9th, 2013, 10:26 AM
My kids are going to be annoyed. I thought season 2 just didn't feel right. Maybe it was too much change. Though I wouldn't want it canceled.

Angela V
March 9th, 2013, 10:29 AM

Summer Glau just happens to be in a lot of sci-fi. Consider how much sci-fi does it canceled, I don't blame anything on her at all.

Hawaii Five 0 is doing awesome. My husband calls it James Bond lite.:jack_new_anime18: They have many guest stars. None of them can sink that awesome show.

jelgate
March 9th, 2013, 11:19 AM
Summer Glau just happens to be in a lot of sci-fi. Consider how much sci-fi does it canceled, I don't blame anything on her at all.

Hawaii Five 0 is doing awesome. My husband calls it James Bond lite.:jack_new_anime18: They have many guest stars. None of them can sink that awesome show.

You may be in for a rude awakening next Spring

Myn McGeek, Third Sentinel
March 9th, 2013, 06:17 PM
I just started watching this show on Netflix. I found out it was cancelled after I saw the first episode... I'm a few episodes in now, and I really like it! Why, Syfy, why? ... :mckay:

Ah, well. At least I know going into it that there are only two seasons.

scifan
April 1st, 2013, 07:25 PM
I know... it was a great series. You're gonna go Ah!!! at the end of S2.. warning you now hun. :eek:

April 2nd, 2013, 03:25 PM
I know... it was a great series. You're gonna go Ah!!! at the end of S2.. warning you now hun. :eek:
Yeah, I heard it ended on a cliffhanger. Hate that! >.< I still have to wait for the DVDs to come out so Netflix can stream it.

scifan
April 2nd, 2013, 06:45 PM
Yeah, I heard it ended on a cliffhanger. Hate that! >.< I still have to wait for the DVDs to come out so Netflix can stream it.

Well I hope you enjoy it. It was great while it lasted. Syfy has some eps on, but their site stinks. I watch Face Off and it takes like a month before the new ep comes on. :mckay:

Brother Freyr
April 9th, 2013, 01:45 PM
Finished up Alphas yesterday. It was kinda silly, but I enjoyed watching it while concurrently working on other things. Alphas is what I think of as 'lite' television: an undemanding story that I can follow while paying only partial attention to it. Alphas fits that bill.

Alphas also requires a big, whopping suspension of disbelief to enjoy it, but hey, so do many other shows. I enjoyed Fringe, and that show required me to set aside nearly everything I know about real-world nature & science.

Yeah, I heard it ended on a cliffhanger. Hate that! >.True, but it's not a gut-wrenching cliffhanger IMO. The climax is what the viewer was led to believe it would be. I felt no sense of "OMG, I have to know what happens next!" The final scene did raise a brand new question about one of the main characters: an unfortunate decision from the showrunners, considering the series was canceled.

Gen. Chris
April 9th, 2013, 07:23 PM
Personally, I had been hoping that maybe this series would be a good replacement for the short-lived 4400 (4 short but good seasons) and Heroes (1 good season, 1 pretty good seasons, 1 meh season, and 1 horrible season).

Alas, this series only got two seasons. Tis a shame, I thought it was getting fairly interesting. And that cliffhanger...One of the most frustrating cliffhangers of all time for me, because there is pretty much no way to interpret it other than the obvious...

LtColCarter
June 1st, 2013, 07:31 PM
Well, I came in here to ask when the third season was going to begin...and I saw all of the posts about the series cancellation. :(

Gen. Chris
June 1st, 2013, 08:56 PM
Well, I came in here to ask when the third season was going to begin...and I saw all of the posts about the series cancellation. :(

Sorry you didn't find out until now.

It's a shame cause season 2 was quite good, I felt.

12OzMouse
July 25th, 2013, 09:06 AM
I was looking for an appropriate thread to ask this question and I guess this is as close as it's going to get. I watched the first couple of episodes of Alphas back when it premiered. It didn't exactly reel me in. A few days ago, I was given the dvd's for both series. They are sitting on my desk as I write this. Tell me, if I hang with it, or start over and watch from the beginning, am I going to be happy I did, or is it a show that is memorable only to its most ardent fans?

I like all types of sci-fi. I like character driven dramas. I don't have to absolutely love something to watch it, but I like to be entertained. I've heard, after skimming the threads here that the second series is really good. Should I pass these dvd's on or will I kick myself for not taking the time to check them out? Thanks in advance, I huess I'm looking for a little nudge...

Gen. Chris
July 25th, 2013, 10:24 AM
I was looking for an appropriate thread to ask this question and I guess this is as close as it's going to get. I watched the first couple of episodes of Alphas back when it premiered. It didn't exactly reel me in. A few days ago, I was given the dvd's for both series. They are sitting on my desk as I write this. Tell me, if I hang with it, or start over and watch from the beginning, am I going to be happy I did, or is it a show that is memorable only to its most ardent fans?

I like all types of sci-fi. I like character driven dramas. I don't have to absolutely love something to watch it, but I like to be entertained. I've heard, after skimming the threads here that the second series is really good. Should I pass these dvd's on or will I kick myself for not taking the time to check them out? Thanks in advance, I huess I'm looking for a little nudge...

I found season two to be quite excellent.

Besides, you were given them (I am assuming as a gift), so you don't really have much to lose.

Starsaber
August 2nd, 2013, 09:46 AM
Season 2 is up on Netflix Instant Watch now, so I'll finally get a chance to see it.

squirrely1
August 3rd, 2013, 06:21 PM
WOW no season 3 :( :( Now WTF??? What is Syfy thinking??

jelgate
August 3rd, 2013, 06:23 PM
WOW no season 3 :( :( Now WTF??? What is Syfy thinking??No reason to make a product that isn't making money

squirrely1
August 4th, 2013, 06:30 PM
no reason to make a product that isn't making money

bah!!

August 13th, 2013, 12:05 PM
Season 2 is up on Netflix Instant Watch now, so I'll finally get a chance to see it.
Oh! Thanks for mentioning it. I've been waiting and then started forgetting to check. :P

bah!!
I concur wholeheartedly with this statement!

Gen. Chris
August 15th, 2013, 11:53 AM
All speculation, but something to think about http://seriable.com/alphas-season-3-theories-speculation/

October 5th, 2013, 03:35 PM
:danielanime08: ... :danielanime08: ... :weiranime22: ... :thoranime01:

(Just finished season 2.)

raduzhok
February 7th, 2014, 08:07 AM

I wish I'd come here sooner. I watched the series through last year, on Netflix, and kept it up on my fav list to watch for future eps.. I guess now I can take it off the list. Too bad, I really got to liking it.