Worst Infantry Weapon Championships

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Worst Infantry Weapon Championships

So there's been a lot of talk about weapons here over the years and people trying to come up with the fanciest new blaster or railgun but lets take a moment to look in the other direction shall we. The direction of what not to do. Lets take a look at some of the worst weapons both in Stargate and in Sci-fi in general and see if we can crown ourselves a winner... err loser.

Here's some initial nominees to get things started.

From Stargate

Jaffa Staff Weapon

Description: It's a 7 foot long metal stick that shoots fireballs out one end and crippling shame out the other.

Pros: It shoots fireballs!, you can bash people in the knees with it, doesn't seem to run out of ammo

Cons: The fireballs are both slow and pretty weak, it's a 7 foot long stick with no sights of any kind that they expect you to aim at things, it probably weighs almost as heavily on the soldier carrying it as his shame over carrying it in the first place

Final Verdict: A projectile weapon that's actually more useful as a club than a gun, well done.

Wraith Stunner Rifle (early model)

Description: Big goofy looking glowing bazooka thing that's stabby and shooty on differant ends

Pros: Doesn't run out of ammo, can double as a nightlight for those afraid of the dark

Cons: Since its shots can't actually kill and the bayonet-thing is on the wrong end it might just be the first weapon ever invented that's actually more likely to kill or maim its operator via accident than what it's aimed at. Also, no sights, horrifying ergonimics, and just about the whole thing glows constantly for no discernable reason

Final Verdict: Another gun more useful for stabbing people than shooting them, but if you try that then you're probably pointing the muzzle at yourself and the trigger at the enemy, fun times

From Star Trek

Federation Hand Phaser

Description: A dustbuster that kills! (and stuns!)

Pros: great for cleaning up unslightly spills and unwanted pet hair, lots of differant settings, small enough to fit into your purse

Cons: Brandishing it like it's actually meant to be a serious weapon will make people laugh at you, then they'll laugh harder when you miss them from 20 feet away thanks to the "changing the channel" firing stance you'll be trained to employ with this thing

Final Verdict: If you set it to overload it blows up pretty good

I object to the use of the hand phaser in this competion as it is uber and wish to substitute it with the Cyberman "deletion electro hands of doom!" from doctor who.

Description: It's a cybermans hand.............so you know..........silvery grey, 5 fingers for grabbing onto things........etc.

The Pros: It kills people with electricity and appears to be really quite painful....

The Cons: Have to touch someone to use it. Not much good when the rest of you is a 6 foot lumbering behemouth that can only move at the speed of a old person with a bad hip.

Final Verdict: Well pretty good for the good guys since all they have to do is run away.
    Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

What about the force lances from Andromeda? A weapon and a deployable baton
      WHAT REALLY HAPPENED IN WW2!

Spoiler:
      Germany Chiefed Poland.
      England broke their NAP with Germany because Poland was their ally.
      England and its allies defend from German attacks, but suffer heavy losses as Germany has level 10 rams.
      France got Chiefed.
      Japan decided to scout America.
      America got pissed off, and sent a couple waves with 10k Imperians at them, with 1k catapults for sh!ts & giggles.
      America cut Japan to 90 pop.
      Germany sends a Chieftain Train at the USSR, gets loyalty down to 1.
      USSR builds up troops with their lvl 20 resources and lvl 20 barracks before the Chieftains can hit again. Walls go back up to level 20. German Chiefs were all destroyed.
      Germany just keeps sending troops although it's clear they cannot take USSR.
      Eventually troops run out since USSR can produce them faster.
      USSR, Britain and the USA simultaneously hit Germany with their own Chieftains, and Chiefs.
      Hitler deleted his account...
      USSR, change their name to Russia...

Comment

Wraith Stunner Spear (y'now, the substitute of the rifle).

Pros: smaller than the rifle version, stuns people, looks good.

Con: there is a 5x smaller stunner pistol with 100% the same effect. so its redundant and useless.

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
          Con: there is a 5x smaller stunner pistol with 100% the same effect. so its redundant and useless.
          I'm actually going to have to disagree on this: even if the pistol is just as strong as the "spear," the spear still has the advantage of being easier to aim at medium-to-long-range.
          "From East Middle School. Suzumiya Haruhi. I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, sliders, or espers here, come join me."
          - The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya; Best Character Introduction Ever.

"And can we lose the ten thousand year old dead plants?!"
          - Stargate: Atlantis (1x03) "Hide and Seek"

"Hammerheads do not load/unload units immediately – they must descend to ground level first. Initial experiments involving jump-jetting infantry into the Hammerhead’s cargo compartment met with unfortunate results."
          - Command&Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath Hammerhead Unit Spotlight

Comment

Originally posted by XxX_Kavan Smith_is_Mine_XxX View Post
            What about the force lances from Andromeda? A weapon and a deployable baton
            Actually no, it would kick the ass of almost any gun you can think of. It can fire plasma blasts and smart bullets that can actively seek out you opponents, and even intercept the bad guys bullets. Plus it doubles as a melee weapon. Oh, and it's a flashlight too!

Originally posted by Quadhelix View Post
            I'm actually going to have to disagree on this: even if the pistol is just as strong as the "spear," the spear still has the advantage of being easier to aim at medium-to-long-range.
            How so?

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy Tom View Post
              How so?
              I was thinking that a rifle design would be easier to hold steady (i.e., the shoulder stock helps steady the weapon), but no I'm wondering how big an issue that would be on a weapon with no recoil.
              "From East Middle School. Suzumiya Haruhi. I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, sliders, or espers here, come join me."
              - The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya; Best Character Introduction Ever.

"And can we lose the ten thousand year old dead plants?!"
              - Stargate: Atlantis (1x03) "Hide and Seek"

"Hammerheads do not load/unload units immediately – they must descend to ground level first. Initial experiments involving jump-jetting infantry into the Hammerhead’s cargo compartment met with unfortunate results."
              - Command&Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath Hammerhead Unit Spotlight

Comment

Worst Stargate Weapon - X-699 - I'm sure everyone will agree that it has been little more than a joke right from it's introduction.

Worst General Sci-Fi Weapon - Red Dwarf Mk I Bazookoid - Big, slow, clumsy, not really all that powerful and of course there's the matter of the big red auto-dismantle switch near the trigger (removed for the Mk II).

Worst Weapon That Was Always Meant To Be A Terrible Weapon - The Queppu Doom Ray - OK, not strictly an infantry weapon but deserves a mention as takes over 2 days to fully disintegrate a person (provided they stand still) and then takes a week to recharge.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
                  I object to the use of the hand phaser in this competion as it is uber and wish to substitute it with the Cyberman "deletion electro hands of doom!" from doctor who.

Description: It's a cybermans hand.............so you know..........silvery grey, 5 fingers for grabbing onto things........etc.

The Pros: It kills people with electricity and appears to be really quite painful....

The Cons: Have to touch someone to use it. Not much good when the rest of you is a 6 foot lumbering behemouth that can only move at the speed of a old person with a bad hip.

Final Verdict: Well pretty good for the good guys since all they have to do is run away.

actually, there also is some kinda plasma gun mounted on the hand as seen in the battle between the daleks and the cybermen, roughly the equivalent of the kull wrist shooter.

And phasers are actually pretty decent weapons. They have more options then Batman's toy belt, can fully disintegrate a target by hitting his hand, etc.

Any of the melee weapons the Klingon carry is pretty sucky though.

Comment

id say felgers photon torpedo weapon is proboly the worst since it didint even work and knocked out power on the base.

and even the x699 which im betting is the remake of his weapon since they look similar isint even all that great.
                    STARGATE ROCKS

THERE IS NO BETTER SHOW

Comment

Originally posted by Quadhelix View Post
                      I was thinking that a rifle design would be easier to hold steady (i.e., the shoulder stock helps steady the weapon), but no I'm wondering how big an issue that would be on a weapon with no recoil.
                      Aiming would still be an issue, trigger pull (the side to side movement your hand imparts to the weapon when you pull the trigger) would still be a big issue in a pistol.

Also I submit the stupid crossbow/ slingshot hybrid weapon that every villager in early SG-1 had.

Pros: None, it's a big slingshot.

Cons: See pros.
                      All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke

The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own... and yet, how ironic! For I now find, I have no choice at all! I am warrior... let the battle be joined.-Dinobot-Code of Hero

Don't blame me, I voted Cthulhu

Comment

Originally posted by jds1982 View Post
                        Aiming would still be an issue, trigger pull (the side to side movement your hand imparts to the weapon when you pull the trigger) would still be a big issue in a pistol.

Also I submit the stupid crossbow/ slingshot hybrid weapon that every villager in early SG-1 had.

Pros: None, it's a big slingshot.

Cons: See pros.
                        I don't even remember this thing but it sounds spectacular. I don't suppose you can find it pic of it?

Did anyone mention the Zatgun yet

Zatgun

Description: It's a snake that shoots lightning bolts!

Pros: Snake, lightning bolts, somewhat versatile, at least it doesn't glow

Cons: Horrifying ergonomics, slow moving projectile, you have to make the snake pop up before you can shoot it, Wraith pistol is a better non lethal weapon and an American 9mm is a better lethal one.

Final Verdit: Awful gimmick weapon designed to "look cool" rather than perform but still better than the staff weapon and Wraith rifle. Glorified taser with barely more range (thanks to ergonomic problems) that'll kill your target for you if you're not very carful.

Comment

atleast it can disable technology

Comment

ori staff is quite poor though bettter than a jaffa one because its lighter and better than a wraith one because its lighter kills and the sharp end is the same as the shooting end

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWmw1u2to5M

Currently recruiting new staff

Comment

any staffweapon is poor for being a spear with an inaccurate ranged attack.

Comment

Working...
                              X