Addresses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Addresses

I'm working on a theory as to how the 8th chevron works as a galaxy code while being unable to repeat symbols used in the first 6 chevrons. I found(I think this is correct) that Ida is #9, Pegasus is #20, but I haven't been able to find the Milky Way as dialed from Pegasus. Does anyone know what # the 8th chevron is when dialed from Atlantis?(ok, technically the 7th)

I also saw some other addresses, one for Hala in particular that had a different galaxy code, but then I thought back and remembered that we never saw it on TV, so are people making these up at random and posting them as legitimate addresses?

Also, has anyone checked to see if Earth's address when dialed from Atlantis corresponds to the 28-26-5-36-11-29 as it is in MW?(also, I'm assuming this is correct)
    Stargate: ROTA wiki

Originally posted by Aer'ki View Post
    I'm working on a theory as to how the 8th chevron works as a galaxy code while being unable to repeat symbols used in the first 6 chevrons.
    Simply out of curiosity, is there any reason beyond fan speculation to believe that the eighth chevron serves as a "galaxy code"? I know that when it was first introduced, Sam compared to an area code, but we have to remember that A) she had known about it for less than thirty seconds when she made that comparison and B) she was speaking to a layperson, not another scientist/mathematician/engineer.

Also, has anyone checked to see if Earth's address when dialed from Atlantis corresponds to the 28-26-5-36-11-29 as it is in MW?(also, I'm assuming this is correct)
    I'm not sure we have that information: different sources give different numberings for the Pegasus glyphs.
    "From East Middle School. Suzumiya Haruhi. I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, sliders, or espers here, come join me."
    - The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya; Best Character Introduction Ever.

"And can we lose the ten thousand year old dead plants?!"
    - Stargate: Atlantis (1x03) "Hide and Seek"

"Hammerheads do not load/unload units immediately – they must descend to ground level first. Initial experiments involving jump-jetting infantry into the Hammerhead’s cargo compartment met with unfortunate results."
    - Command&Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath Hammerhead Unit Spotlight

Comment

i honestly dont see how it does work. how do symbols that correlate from our galaxy correlate to another galaxy even with an extra symbol.

its not like a telephone number as we are talkign actual locations instead of ports on a line.

Comment

Originally posted by escyos View Post
        i honestly dont see how it does work. how do symbols that correlate from our galaxy correlate to another galaxy even with an extra symbol.
        Speaking hypothetically, it could use the first six symbols to define a location in our galaxy and then the eighth chevron "superimposes" that location onto another galaxy.

Still, I am more of the opinion that each eight-chevron address is a whole galaxy, rather than just a planet in another galaxy.
        "From East Middle School. Suzumiya Haruhi. I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, sliders, or espers here, come join me."

"Hammerheads do not load/unload units immediately – they must descend to ground level first. Initial experiments involving jump-jetting infantry into the Hammerhead’s cargo compartment met with unfortunate results."

Comment

Originally posted by Quadhelix View Post
          Simply out of curiosity, is there any reason beyond fan speculation to believe that the eighth chevron serves as a "galaxy code"? I know that when it was first introduced, Sam compared to an area code, but we have to remember that A) she had known about it for less than thirty seconds when she made that comparison and B) she was speaking to a layperson, not another scientist/mathematician/engineer.

I'm not sure we have that information: different sources give different numberings for the Pegasus glyphs.
          We know that you need to dial the extra chevron to reach another galaxy. We've seen it twice. First with IDA and the asgard, then with Pegasus.

Obviously, there is a problem with reusing chevrons in the original 6 for a galaxy code, but that's what I'm working on. I just need to know what the chevron is that Atlantis dials to reach back to Earth.

As for the different Pegasus symbols, the only way you could dial back to Earth was if they are also a numerical value. Then you have the obvious problems with 36 symbols vs. 38.

Comment

Only a Pegasus DHD with the unique Atlantis control crystal can dial another galaxy, so that may be a backwards compatibility crystal that makes the last 2 symbols be number+2.

Comment

We know that you need to dial the extra chevron to reach another galaxy. We've seen it twice. First with IDA and the asgard, then with Pegasus.
              A fact of which I am well aware but that hardly proves, or even implies, that the eighth chevron is a "galaxy code."

As I have said before, it is quite possible that each 8-chevron address stands for a whole galaxy, much like a 7-chevron address stands for a planet. In that manner, Ida would have one address, and Pegasus would have another address. However, different planets in a galaxy would not have a different 8-chevron address; rather, they would all share the galaxy's address.

Comment

A fact of which I am well aware but that hardly proves, or even implies, that the eighth chevron is a "galaxy code."

As I have said before, it is quite possible that each 8-chevron address stands for a whole galaxy, much like a 7-chevron address stands for a planet. In that manner, Ida would have one address, and Pegasus would have another address. However, different planets in a galaxy would not have a different 8-chevron address; rather, they would all share the galaxy's address.
                So what, you end up on a random planet when you dial a galaxy?

If you mean you can only gate to a 'nexus' planet within a galaxy and then travel outward from there(and assuming that Earth and Atlantis are the nexuses for MW and Pegasus) then I'll shoot that theory down right now. I forgot to mention another intergalactic dial.

When they tied up the supergate, they dialed from Pegasus to another gate in the MW. If your theory is correct, then they would have connected to Earth, not that gate they moved next to the supergate.

Comment

I'm getting frustrated with the fact that different sites have different addresses for Earth.

The one I have written down is 28-26-5-36-11-29. It comes from RDA's page.

But I just saw a stargate t-shirt with a different address on it. I didn't write it down, but it began with 11-.

Have there been different addresses for Earth on the series or are some people just wrong with their information?

Comment

So what, you end up on a random planet when you dial a galaxy?
                    Actually, I was thinking more along the lines of, much how like on a planet with two Stargates, one of them becomes dominant (usually the one with a DHD), in a galaxy with many Stargate, one of them will become dominant when receiving intergalactic dials.

When they tied up the supergate, they dialed from Pegasus to another gate in the MW. If your theory is correct, then they would have connected to Earth, not that gate they moved next to the supergate.
                    Not necessarily: remember that they were using a Milky Way Stargate, so they could have been making a 7-chevron dial.

Of course, McKay mentions that they would need "a dialing crystal capable of-"; presumably he was going to say "activating the eighth chevron," but that wouldn't fit in with your "frequency" argument.

Nevertheless, I see your point.

Have there been different addresses for Earth on the series or are some people just wrong with their information?
                    I think that they were probably just wrong.

Comment

Pegasus inter-galactic dialing is different as a possible anti-Wraith security system. I think it has only been established that all Pegasus dhds need a control crystal to dial the Milky Way, of which there was only one, on Atlantis.

Comment

Originally posted by Splitsecond View Post
                        Pegasus inter-galactic dialing is different as a possible anti-Wraith security system.
                        Except that the Wraith didn't show up until Pegasus was already well seeded with Stargates.

Originally posted by Splitsecond View Post
                        I think it has only been established that all Pegasus dhds need a control crystal to dial the Milky Way, of which there was only one, on Atlantis.
                        As I mentioned in my previous post, it was implied in "The Pegasus Project" that Milky Way Stargates also need a special control crystal to use their eighth chevron. Before anyone starts crying how they didn't have the control crystal in "The Fifth Race," my response is that the SGC's dialing computer would fill that role.

Comment

I don't think its supposed to make any sense.

Comment

Except that the Wraith didn't show up until Pegasus was already well seeded with Stargates.

As I mentioned in my previous post, it was implied in "The Pegasus Project" that Milky Way Stargates also need a special control crystal to use their eighth chevron. Before anyone starts crying how they didn't have the control crystal in "The Fifth Race," my response is that the SGC's dialing computer would fill that role.
                            Which is why I also think it's a standard method.
                            Jack wrote in the dialing code for 8th chevron lock into the SGC computer. It will likely be the newest 8th chevron capable gate that gets the lock, so SGC people may have set the receiver gate in the Pegasus Project to be 8th chevron capable first.

Comment

Actually, I was thinking more along the lines of, much how like on a planet with two Stargates, one of them becomes dominant (usually the one with a DHD), in a galaxy with many Stargate, one of them will become dominant when receiving intergalactic dials.
                              Didn't Thor dial the Alpha Site from the Asgard home galaxy to deliver the satellite weapon?

Comment

Working...
                              X