Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How are stargates connected to each other?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How are stargates connected to each other?

They create artifical wormholes but how do they connect to the right gate and end up in the right place? i know about the dialing however these gates must be configured somehow and these configurations must be transmitted to other gates to let them know wheres where like the internet perhaps. another question; how does a gate on a ship work differently than one on land? its weird, it has no point of orgin so how does the gate know where it is in space and time? what if we transported the gate to an alternate reality; can we dial to it as well?
    Last edited by Duneknight; 30 July 2009, 07:22 PM.
    sigpic

SGA's Adrift [4x1] tells us the stargate will only work if moving at a speed so the point of origin lies in the same place, so other than that, there's no difference between a land gate, space gate, nor a ship gate.

SG-1's Avenger 2.0 (some episode in season 7) tells us the gates contact each other for correlative updates, for changes in stellar drift. This is presumably done by subspace communications.

Daniel explains the wormhole addresses in the original film (and in SG'1s 200 [10x6]...), 6 points to a point in space, 7'th is the point of origin.

The wormhole would just represent a vector in a different dimension (subspace).

It wouldn't be curvy, unless the stargate does it to avoid events such as the K'Tau episode, SG'1s Red Sky [5x5]

Comment

Think of dialing a phone.
      It's the same principal.
      With some technobabble.

by commander of the uss capricorn

Comment

A gate address is more like an adress than a phone number. It's meant to represent the gate's location in space. If you move a gate to a new location, it will have a new address.

Comment

A gate's address probably covers a large area of space. All the planets in a single solar system are likely to share the same gate address.

Comment

Originally posted by Archetype View Post
            A gate's address probably covers a large area of space. All the planets in a single solar system are likely to share the same gate address.
            But they don't. In 2001, I think it was called, the Aschen had been to another planet very close to theirs and can dial the gate from their planet to the other one at the same time, so they can't have the same address.
            sigpic

Comment

also the planets of the loc'na'ko have different symbols

Comment

forgot that and there were like three of those and we saw the symbols i dont remember them but i am pretty sure they were really different.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by padr49904 View Post
                  But they don't. In 2001, I think it was called, the Aschen had been to another planet very close to theirs and can dial the gate from their planet to the other one at the same time, so they can't have the same address.

It's hard to say without rewatching the episode, but I think the Aschen had traveled to "nearby" planets, probably in neighboring solar systems.

Comment

Originally posted by escyos View Post
                    also the planets of the loc'na'ko have different symbols
                    The what?

Comment

The what?
                      'Maternal Instinct'...Kheb...they were goa'uld mining planets.

Comment

It would, at least, have to cover the orbital range of the planet around the host star. So in the case of Earth, it would have to be at least 2 astronomical units + the sun in diameter, with enough margin of error to account for orbital drift.

The only way you could have more than 1 gate active in a system would be if there was some way of addressing this within each gate address. I don't think that the 6 points of reference would be accurate enough.

Comment

Magnets.

Comment

Originally posted by PedroinTas View Post
                            It would, at least, have to cover the orbital range of the planet around the host star. So in the case of Earth, it would have to be at least 2 astronomical units + the sun in diameter, with enough margin of error to account for orbital drift.

The only way you could have more than 1 gate active in a system would be if there was some way of addressing this within each gate address. I don't think that the 6 points of reference would be accurate enough.
                            Bingo. That's what I was thinking.

Originally posted by escyos View Post
                            'Maternal Instinct'...Kheb...they were goa'uld mining planets.
                            Okay, so the planets each had different addresses. Were they supposed to be in the same solar system or something? What are you saying?
                            Last edited by Archetype; 31 July 2009, 12:36 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

Originally posted by padr49904 View Post
                              No, it was about dialling without a DHD. Since we don't have a DHD we have to adjust for stellar drift. The Aschen, however, because they are relatively close to Vorlin or whatever that planet was called could connect to it without a DHD similarly to the way we could connect to Abydos.

This revelation then let us to calculate that their planet could only be P4C-970

And that's all from memory

PS YES I'M AN ADDICT DON'T BLAME ME

Comment

Working...
                              X