Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

That is "AT", and don't ask me what it means.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That is "AT", and don't ask me what it means.

We know of seven pronunciations for the symbols on the stargate. First question is if anyone knows the particular symbols for Pro-cla-rush-Ta-O-Nas.

We all know that AT is the point of origin, Earth...but is it? Did Daniel jump the gun?

Think about it. If there are thousands of stargates in the galaxy, each with their own POO, then how many different pronunciations will there be?

My theory..."AT" doesn't mean Earth...it means a 'generic' point of origin. So any address dialed will always end in "AT".

That would keep the pronunciation down to an Alphabet...not a Chinese infinite word list.
    Stargate: ROTA wiki

The address for proclarus is here

I kind of understand what you mean about a generic sound for the POO, however don't think it will ever be proven :-)

Comment

'Pro-cla-rush Ta-o-nas' is the name of the planet and the address.. 'At' is the point of origin because they would be travelling there from Earth. O'Neill was looking at the SG-1 patch which has the Earth symbol on it when he said 'At' so there's not much room for interpretation for what 'At' is. If they had been on another planet O'Neill would probably have suggested a different point of origin.

Lost City

(Without warning, Jack reaches out and rips Daniel's SG-1 patch off his sleeve and drops it onto the table. He picks it up and turns it round, then drops it onto the table again. He looks up at Daniel, then across to Sam.)

JACKSON: Jack, what're you doing?

O'NEILL (gesturing down to the patch): At.

CARTER: What?

O'NEILL (looking across at her): At.

JACKSON (gesturing to the patch): This?

O'NEILL: At.

JACKSON: That is At?

Comment

Originally posted by Pharaoh Hamenthotep View Post
        'Pro-cla-rush Ta-o-nas' is the name of the planet and the address.. 'At' is the point of origin because they would be travelling there from Earth. O'Neill was looking at the SG-1 patch which has the Earth symbol on it when he said 'At' so there's not much room for interpretation for what 'At' is. If they had been on another planet O'Neill would probably have suggested a different point of origin.
        Yes, but aside from some early writing and production errors, the symbol for Earth is supposed to be a POO not a normal symbol. So when he looks at it, he recognizes it as a POO and gives the generic pronunciation for all POOs.

Do you get what I'm saying?

Comment

Originally posted by Aer'ki View Post
          Yes, but aside from some early writing and production errors, the symbol for Earth is supposed to be a POO not a normal symbol. So when he looks at it, he recognizes it as a POO and gives the generic pronunciation for all POOs.

Do you get what I'm saying?
          that makes the most sense too. As the ancient symbol for earth and the gould symbol for earth were vastly different. Daniel shows jack a picture of the go'old symbol not the ancient symbol for earth.

Comment

I agree that it's a generic sound for a point of origin. That said, I've always thought the need to enter a point of origin is silly. The gate should know where it is already, but it's a convenient plot device sometimes.

~Wes
            Mitchell: Seaweed?
            Daniel: Don't go there.

Comment

I've always seen pronouncing the gate addresses a cannonical (is that a word?) error.
              JACKSON: I think I do. (He opens his notebook and draws one of the Stargate symbols [Canis Minor], then shows it to Jack). What's this?

O'NEILL: Shh. (Daniel and Sam glance at each other, then back at Jack. He looks back and forth between them.) Well?

CARTER: You just told us to be quiet.

O'NEILL: No -- when I look at this (pointing to the drawing) I think 'Shh'.

JACKSON: That's it.

CARTER: What?

JACKSON (turning back to another page in his notebook): 'Proklarush Taonas'. Six syllables. What if each symbol on the Stargate has a corresponding sound so that it can be spoken aloud?
              From what you and I know about syllables, Jack should have said "rush" instead of just "shh". "Shh" isn't a syllable. Perhaps the gate system is meant to be spoken aloud, but not in syllables as we know them.

Proud supporter of His holy BAGness!

Comment

Originally posted by peragrin View Post
                that makes the most sense too. As the ancient symbol for earth and the gould symbol for earth were vastly different. Daniel shows jack a picture of the go'old symbol not the ancient symbol for earth.

It's not a Goa'uld symbol. They didn't put the symbol on the gate, they only brought the gate there, and it had that ancient symbol on there.
                Actually, thinking about it, why would that Gate have that symbol?

Originally posted by AVFan View Post
                I've always seen pronouncing the gate addresses a cannonical (is that a word?) error.

From what you and I know about syllables, Jack should have said "rush" instead of just "shh". "Shh" isn't a syllable. Perhaps the gate system is meant to be spoken aloud, but not in syllables as we know them.
                Maybe he was misinterpreting it.
                Actually, apparetly Proclarush Taonas means lost in fire AND the syllables each represent a gate symbol. That just doesn't make sense. =/
                Last edited by Flibby; 30 July 2009, 01:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by AVFan View Post

I was thinking about this very thing last night. I'm glad someone else noticed. I was under the impression that 'Shh' was another symbol we hadn't seen, but I already looked up the symbols for Pro Cla Rush Ta O Nas and it says that Rush is the same symbol as Shh.

So I think it has to be a mispronunciation on O'Neill's part...I don't see the writers as being so inept that they have an inconsistency three lines apart.

I kept trying yesterday to connect the Shh sound next to others and it worked for most, but on some it needed a vowel sound and I couldn't really saw it without making it Sha or She.

As for the meaning of the names...I think its the other way around. The names came first and then the meaning was attached to them. So Proclarush Taonas was originally the address and it was 'lost in fire' so that meaning got attached to the name. Kinda of like we associate Hiroshima with 'nuke' or 'explosion' even though the name originally had nothing to do with that.

I think Cla Va The Sa Ra En Fin At Es is the same thing, by the way.

Comment

I was thinking about this very thing last night. I'm glad someone else noticed. I was under the impression that 'Shh' was another symbol we hadn't seen, but I already looked up the symbols for Pro Cla Rush Ta O Nas and it says that Rush is the same symbol as Shh.

So I think it has to be a mispronunciation on O'Neill's part...I don't see the writers as being so inept that they have an inconsistency three lines apart.

I kept trying yesterday to connect the Shh sound next to others and it worked for most, but on some it needed a vowel sound and I couldn't really saw it without making it Sha or She.

As for the meaning of the names...I think its the other way around. The names came first and then the meaning was attached to them. So Proclarush Taonas was originally the address and it was 'lost in fire' so that meaning got attached to the name. Kinda of like we associate Hiroshima with 'nuke' or 'explosion' even though the name originally had nothing to do with that.

There you go Aer'ki, i think you just found the address to the destiny, 9 chevrons.
                    sigpic
                    - SteamID user since 2005 -- you can add me - visit steam translation server brazil @ Steelbox

Comment

Have we ever had any other occurrences where we found out the Ancient name of a planet that can be attributed to an address?
                      If not, then there's not much we can do to determine if that is in fact a 9-symbol address.

Comment

To the first post:

Yep. On the other hand, if one sound stood for thousands of symbols, what point would there be in having an alphabet to describe them at all?

It would still work if the point of origin would be a symbol unique to the gate on that particular world, present on no other stargate and in no other address as a common coordinate symbol. "At" would simply mean the local unique sign then. Just as well, a Jumper's universal DHD would have a generic At symbol on it, which would just tell the gate to lock in its own "call sign".

This seems to be a very sensible hypothesis, but it still has one flaw: If the gate can lock its own At symbol in response to a generic command from a PJ (which evidently doesn't have several thousand keys on its DHD), then the At symbol is completely useless, as is the whole point of origin concept. That's to say, the point of origin may still be needed to open a working wormhole, but if the gate knows what its POO is, why put it on the DHD and into the address at all? There is no reason why this function of the gate could not be completely automated, except as a security measure that makes it easier getting stuck on a planet whose POO you don't know. Which I really don't see the Ancients wanting to do, seeing as they were not threatened by anything in their time (till the Wraith came, apparently).

Comment

IAs for the meaning of the names...I think its the other way around. The names came first and then the meaning was attached to them. So Proclarush Taonas was originally the address and it was 'lost in fire' so that meaning got attached to the name. Kinda of like we associate Hiroshima with 'nuke' or 'explosion' even though the name originally had nothing to do with that.
                          That is a really good point. Firstly, although Ancient and Latin are very similar, Latin for "lost in fire" would be something along the lines of "perso/perduto in incindio" which bears little to no resemblance to "Proclarush Taonas."

Well, the problem there is that those are based on legitimate Latin works: Clavis is "key," Thessaurus is "treasure," and Inifinitus is "infinite."
                          "From East Middle School. Suzumiya Haruhi. I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, sliders, or espers here, come join me."
                          - The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya; Best Character Introduction Ever.

"And can we lose the ten thousand year old dead plants?!"
                          - Stargate: Atlantis (1x03) "Hide and Seek"

"Hammerheads do not load/unload units immediately – they must descend to ground level first. Initial experiments involving jump-jetting infantry into the Hammerhead’s cargo compartment met with unfortunate results."
                          - Command&Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath Hammerhead Unit Spotlight

Comment

theres a problem with this since Proclarush is the planet and in ancient it means lost in fire, which is odd since either danel or sam said this planet looked like earth a million years ago. inless they change the name after some of the volcancos. Taonas was the name of the out post
                            time doesn't go in a linear path like everyone thinks, time is a ball of timey wimey wibbly wobblely uh....

Google won't search for Chuck Norris because it knows you don't find Chuck Norris, he finds you.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by the-alguroan View Post
                              theres a problem with this since Proclarush is the planet and in ancient it means lost in fire, which is odd since either danel or sam said this planet looked like earth a million years ago. inless they change the name after some of the volcancos. Taonas was the name of the out post
                              A. Where did you get the information that "Proclarush" was the planet and "Taonas" was the outpost?

B. The entire point that Aer'ki and I were making was that "Proclarush Taonas" was originally just the planet's name and only came to mean "lost in fire" after the planet was scorched.

C. The transcript of "The Lost City, Part 2" tells us:
                              JACKSON: 'Proklarush Taonas'. According to this it means 'lost in fire'. It was lost. This has to be the planet where that lost city is.
                              This means that the whole term has come to mean "lost in fire," not just "Proclarush."
                              "From East Middle School. Suzumiya Haruhi. I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, sliders, or espers here, come join me."
                              - The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya; Best Character Introduction Ever.

"And can we lose the ten thousand year old dead plants?!"
                              - Stargate: Atlantis (1x03) "Hide and Seek"

"Hammerheads do not load/unload units immediately – they must descend to ground level first. Initial experiments involving jump-jetting infantry into the Hammerhead’s cargo compartment met with unfortunate results."
                              - Command&Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath Hammerhead Unit Spotlight

Comment

Working...
                              X