Aurora specifications

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aurora specifications

I have searched high and low and cannot find what i am looking for.
    Does anybody know the specifications on the Aurora class ships eg
    Size, capacity (crew etc), small crafts, engines, weapons (there must be more then just drones) and power requirements?

Any information would be great.
    sigpicIf The Simpsons ever get on Stargate

On Stargate Wiki they have a decent section with most of the info that we've heard on the show on the page, but they also have a few stills (I think may be from a Stargate mag) that describe the basic layout of the ship (the stills are at the bottem of the page). Some info at the side of the page. It may not be accurate but I've not seen anything that contradicts it.

The link: http://stargate.wikia.com/wiki/Aurora-class_battleship

Comment

Thanks for the info.
      i forgot about the stargate collection (I have got the, time to go in the loft and look)
      sigpicIf The Simpsons ever get on Stargate

Comment

As a warning about that Wiki, it contains a lot of fanon.
        "From East Middle School. Suzumiya Haruhi. I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, sliders, or espers here, come join me."
        - The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya; Best Character Introduction Ever.

"And can we lose the ten thousand year old dead plants?!"
        - Stargate: Atlantis (1x03) "Hide and Seek"

"Hammerheads do not load/unload units immediately – they must descend to ground level first. Initial experiments involving jump-jetting infantry into the Hammerhead’s cargo compartment met with unfortunate results."
        - Command&Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath Hammerhead Unit Spotlight

Comment

Originally posted by Quadhelix View Post
          Very true, but it's the only place I've seen that gives you specs (however wild or inaccurate). I hope the writers release a guide or book that gives us details on all of the different technology that we've come across.

Comment

its not a bad site if the fanstuf is not used

www.darkarmada.nl
            www.runescape.com

Ode aan Nederlandsch-Indië

Comment

i prefer the Solutions wiki

Comment

unless its stated on the show, its not canon, therefore we cannot know.

Comment

the link above mentions that there are 3 variations of the Aurora class ships....anyone have any pictures of the 3 different versions?

Comment

Originally posted by Mclean View Post
                    Very true, but it's the only place I've seen that gives you specs (however wild or inaccurate). I hope the writers release a guide or book that gives us details on all of the different technology that we've come across.
                    Yes, so would I. Very much in fact. I always liked to know the tech specs. Unfortunately, the SG creators don't seem to share in that passion. There is not only a profound lack of solid tech information on the show, but also quite large and repetitive inconsistencies, mostly in relative size.

As to what I know about the Aurora-class specs.

1) Those stills are all wrong. They are official, but made in some pre-production phase and they for one show the ship about one-tenth the actual observed size, for another they completely misplace the bridge, which is topside amidships in the transparent dome (see 2x20 Allies for a zoom-in from space confirming this).

2) From my own measurements, taken by comparing parts of the ship to small things (Puddle Jumpers mostly, whose size can be directly compared to actual persons), then comparing those parts to bigger parts in different shots and then to the whole in yet more shots, I estimate the ship to be about 3035 meters long and about 522 meters wide at bridge level (about amidships), overall, with a 10% error margin both up and down. Note that in the episodes of first appearance it seems much smaller. Remember those inconsistencies I talked about? Personally I take newer material to supersede the older.

3) No small craft were ever seen, but a mediocre contingent of jumpers would be my expectation. Presence of some larger vessels (transports, scouts,...) is possible, as well as store'n'launch bays for space equipment (defense satellite parts?).

4) The Ancients were very advanced, so I suppose their ships can, if necessary, be crewed, as well as the Asgard ones, by a skeleton crew of only a few or perhaps even just one. However, the full complement may be quite large, as seen by the numerous pods in the episode Aurora. Ronon and Teyla were at the count of about 2300 when interrupted, and there may be even more.

5) No other weapons than drones were seen, but I agree that there should be at least some particle beam weaponry, point-defense as well as high-yield long-range. Perhaps something like on the L-point satellite?

6) Power can be supplied by a ZPM, which is an optional plug-in into the system, in which case it gives the ship virtually unlimited duration and power reserves. In case a ZPM is not present aboard, one can only guess. Personally I would think something along the lines of a quantum singularity or magnetogravitic reactors, possibly with matter/antimatter annihilation backups, but that's just my conjecture based on comparison to high-level races on other shows. No power generation methods except for the ZPM and the ZPM-derived Project Arcturus were ever really discussed on the show.

7) Hyperdrive engines can be either the more advanced, long-range type, or the simpler, short-range type. Sublight engines do not look to be particle thrust-based (the same goes for the Puddle Jumpers), that is to say, they are probably some type of gravimetric engine, using the creation and manipulation of gravitational distortions around the ship to move it around. (Again, taken from similar-looking engines on other shows.) This type of propulsion, while much more complicated, allows far more agility and creates inertial dampening as a natural side-effect. Also, this technology stems from the same underlying theory as zero-point energy, making it consistent with established Ancient tech.

8) To the three variants. There are only minimal differences in exterior appearance. My take is that the ship design was modular to degree, making it possible to equip the same base frame as e.g. a warship, a deep space recon ship or a science vessel by installing different hull elements during production. Pics I sadly don't have. Suggest googling "lantean battlecruiser images" and sifting through; you will notice the small differences in the pictures eventually. Look for the side pods.

Comment

Originally posted by Quadhelix View Post
                      You don't say. That and the quotation of sources which have been known being wrong.

Auroras do have weapons other than drones. They have numerous very large guns mounted on turrets.

Length is ought to be slightly above 1 km. I still don't get where the 3~3.5 km length comes from.
                      I'll have to check measurements made from the size of the bridge and its crew.
                      The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

Well, the 3035 m I stated comes from those measuremets. That and the shot in one of the later episodes where the Puddle Jumper skin-dances the nose of the Traveller-owned Ancient battleship. I did the measurements myself, I really didn't get the 3035 figure anywhere, so it's fanon at best. But like I said, different shots yield wildly varying sizes. Also it's tricky business comparing all those shots, what with them being agled away from the camera and all. I don't remember any canon size being ever known, apart from that botched schematic discussed above, which pretty much everyone agrees is off the mark.

Comment

Working...
                        X