Simple Physic, Celerity traveling 101

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Simple Physic, Celerity traveling 101

Celerity speed traveling matter should travel bolt way in the stargate wormhole the same way radio-frequency does

Here is a "mise en situation"...

McKay and is team are on a mission on M5S-224.

The non-corporeal race as contact Atlantis reporting some material object came out of the ground after a meteorite crash, It is now interfering with there existence by emitting some strange energy...

The non-corporeal race has asked Atlantis assistance to remove the object. Once the site, surprise, McKay discovered a Z.P.M. with some ancient device hooked on it.

Back on Atlantis, after further analysis, McKay fined out that the device is intended to change the apparent inertia mass of the solid matter it touch .

An experiment is schedule on M3R-428. This planet was chosen because the door is in space, so the planet gravity will be minimal at first. The team will use a Jumper equip with the “mass modulator device” (MMD).

The entire test run fine, with this new device, they will save tones of energy for lifting space shuttle and will find many uses in all sort of technique. Major problem, when it’s time to go back, the gate does not dial to Atlantis or any other world and there is no way for McKay to fix the problem since they did not bring any space suit. The only thing the stargate does is “receive call”.

Sheppard suddenly has the idea to speed up the Jumper to celerity to fool the gate protocols to believe that the Jumper is in fact particular-signal. Since they have a ZPM on board they have more energy they need to power up all the required system on the Jumper to there maximum level, if needed. So technically if the mass of the Jumper is negligible, like the mass of a photon for example, celerity is possible.

The rest of the story is up to the SG creator team, if the filtering protocol of the gate system, was fooled or not is not my expertise.

N.B. If needed, i got all the equations demonstrating the mass of a photon, it's high school physic! If it's speed is not infinit, it's mass is not nul
    Last edited by [email protected]; 24 July 2009, 08:58 AM. Reason: To make it look good

1: wtf is celerity

and 2: the tech exists, its called an intertial dampener

and 3: a ZPM on a jumper is the definition of overkill.

and 4: what's the purpose of this?

and 5: a photon has zero mass. if v approaches c, then m approaches infinity. if v=c then m= infinite. according to F=MA the latter is impossible as infinite m means infinite F therefore infinite energy is needed.

Comment

Celerity is lightspeed or if you prefer the speed of negligeable mass particule, like photon. It's what the C stand for in the E=mC^2

the energy of a photon is not infinit, nor is speed so it's mass cant be, it would be mathematicaly illogical

E / C^2 = 0?

Nop photon has mass but it's quite small

Comment

Energy is made of matter(mass) and speed or acceleration

E=1/2mv^2 'v is for speed from french:Vitesse, m for mass
        E=ma*distance 'a is for acceleration
        Last edited by [email protected]; 24 July 2009, 11:09 AM. Reason: it was 1/2 the mass time square speed

Comment

So if you lower the mass of each particule of a solide, to reach celerity take less then infinite energy.

If the Jumper mass is the same as a single photon it will take the same amount of energie as it take for a photon to reach celerity.

Comment

And, intertial dampener are made to smooth the effect of gravitation or acceleration, by the way...

Comment

which is zero. but having no mass would be...bad.

also, what is celerity?

Energy is made of matter(mass) and speed or acceleration

E=mv^2 'v is for speed from french:Vitesse, m for mass
              E=ma*distance 'a is for acceleration
              i know.

a single photon has no mass, thus there is no force applied to it thus it has no acceleration.

E(k)=1/2mv^2.

also. why try reaching this celerity when all you need is a hyperdrive.

also, inertia IS F=ma. in order to achieve accelleration and to still apply force, the only thing it can eliminate is mass. so under an inertial dampener, f=ma becomes something like f=(x.m)a , x being a decimal that tells the reduction of inertia.

therefore, when the dampening reaches max, the mass is minimal and thus the accelleration maximal. i doubt zero mass can be achieved at all.

most mass of a proton comes from the binding energy of the quarks, some 90% of it. so full dampening is impossible

Comment

If I understand the first post right, [email protected] is suggesting that if you reduce your mass to zero and travel at lightspeed you could go both ways through an open stargate. Right now matter can go one way but radio signals both ways so if you can change the characteristics of your ship to be like EM radiation you could go from the receiving gate to the initiating gate.
                My Tep senses are tingling.

That I will have to edit is assumed.

Comments and critiques are always welcome. Please, tell me what you think.

Comment

I've never heard of Celerity in my life. Are you sure it is a physics term?

The energy of a photon: E=h*c/lamda
                  h is Planck's constant.
                  lamda is the wavelength of the photon.

No need for mass.

Comment

Originally posted by Exthalion View Post
                    If I understand the first post right, [email protected] is suggesting that if you reduce your mass to zero and travel at lightspeed you could go both ways through an open stargate. Right now matter can go one way but radio signals both ways so if you can change the characteristics of your ship to be like EM radiation you could go from the receiving gate to the initiating gate.
                    The event horizon is apparently the thing that decides whether something is to buffered or not and the buffer only transmits one way. Matter is probably still treated as matter no matter how massive it is.

Comment

Matter is probably still treated as matter no matter how massive it is.
                      * dies laughing*

all you need is reprogramming. a wormhole is 2ways, only the stargate is one-way.
                      if the matter is transported as some plasma, then if the gate was entered from two sides, bad things would happen. EM does not have this problem as it does not interact with itself nor does it seriously affect the plasma

Comment

I agree, but I was trying to answer thekillman's question about what this was all for. Besides even a ZPM does not have infinite energy. The fact that we could see the Tria coming means that it was not moving at lightspead.
                        My Tep senses are tingling.

That I will have to edit is assumed.

Comments and critiques are always welcome. Please, tell me what you think.

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                          * dies laughing*

all you need is reprogramming. a wormhole is 2ways, only the stargate is one-way.
                          if the matter is transported as some plasma, then if the gate was entered from two sides, bad things would happen. EM does not have this problem as it does not interact with itself nor does it seriously affect the plasma
                          Tell me, do you know what would happen if you took a car, accelerated it to near light speed, then tried to ram it through the eye of a needle?

Because that is what you are attempting to do here, a Stargate's wormhole is microgauge, good only for information or atomized matter. That's why things have to be dematerialized before they go through. The reason it's so small is that a wormhole big enough for a person to go through, would have the gravitational mass of a small planet.
                          Last edited by Crazy Tom; 24 July 2009, 11:02 AM.

Comment

I agree, but I was trying to answer thekillman's question about what this was all for. Besides even a ZPM does not have infinite energy. The fact that we could see the Tria coming means that it was not moving at lightspead.
                            there still is no point in this. instead of moving at 300 000 000 m/s, the deadalus does 2 LIGHTYEARS per SECOND. in hyperspace. why go through all the trouble of doing what you suggest, when a simple hyperdrive allows for much faster travel.

tom, in a gate the pattern would be stored, the object transmitted as a plasma or so and then at the other end the gate nicely puts it back together according to the POO gate's instructions.

Comment

Killman, hes suggesting this not for regular travel, but to travel both ways tghrough the gate, but if you need a zpm to do it, whats the point? And about the innertial dampeners, do they realy reduce mass? all i remember about them is "take innertia out of the equation".

Originally posted by Splitsecond View Post
                              I've never heard of Celerity in my life. Are you sure it is a physics term?

The energy of a photon: E=h*c/lamda
                              h is Planck's constant.
                              lamda is the wavelength of the photon.

No need for mass.
                              But doesnt the E=MC^2 still apply? then whatever non zero E is, according to m=E/c^2, the mass would still exist and be non zero, even if its increadibly small, is that not correct?

Covering up scandals and keeping secrets is almost a racial trait.

Isn't it funny how the word 'politics' is made up of the words 'poli' meaning 'many' in Latin, and 'tics' as in 'bloodsucking creatures’?

Comment

Working...
                              X