This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Voltron Movie

Voltron to get the Transformers treatment?

The success of the Transformers movies apparently has everyone digging around in old toy and anime archives to find their own hit giant-robot franchise, and Atlas Entertainment's Charles Roven, Richard Suckle and Steve Alexander have apparently found theirs: Voltron, based on the Japanese anime properties that were later edited as a U.S. TV show in the '80s.

The Hollywood Reporter's Risky Biz blog reports that the producers have acquired the rights to make a live-action movie based on the franchise:

Roven and his partners acquired rights to the Japanese title from World Events Productions, a St. Louis-based company that has held those rights for more than two decades. Wanted producer Jason Netter of Kickstart Entertainment and World Events' Ted Koplar are joining the Atlas trio in producing.

Voltron, a television hit in the 1980s that has retained a loyal fan following, features a Transformers-like conceit, in which a band of five robot lions combines to form one super lion. A group of five pilots control the lions, which are charged with defending the planet Arus from villain King Zarkon, who dispatches evil creatures called Robobeats to fight the Voltron robots.

Based on Japanese anime properties Beast King GoLion and Kikou Kantai Dairugger XV, Voltron aired only for two years on U.S. television, in 1984 and 1985, when Japanese pop-culture had not yet penetrated the American mainstream.

http://scifiwire.com/2009/07/voltron...the-transf.php

I hear been hearing this rumor for years. As a viewer of the old series I wouldl like to see it but I remain skeptic
    Originally posted by aretood2
    Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
      I hear been hearing this rumor for years. As a viewer of the old series I wouldl like to see it but I remain skeptic
      As do I. It could make for an interesting movie though.
      sigpic
      MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
      "...phu...ah..."
      "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
      Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Yep, I only hope it is not Voltron, Transformers in disguise! I would like to see a giant robot movie, where the action is essential to the storyline. I have the original series on DVD, and there is potential for a live action/CGI movie. But, I would rather see a Robotech movie.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by GuHNDoi View Post
          Yep, I only hope it is not Voltron, Transformers in disguise! I would like to see a giant robot movie, where the action is essential to the storyline. I have the original series on DVD, and there is potential for a live action/CGI movie. But, I would rather see a Robotech movie.
          Oh, yeah. That would work for me too.
          sigpic
          MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
          "...phu...ah..."
          "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
          Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Working...
          X