Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Replicators - Where do I find more info and episodes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replicators - Where do I find more info and episodes?

Hi,

I am a researcher who is interested in modular robotics. I was recently told that in Stargate a "technology" is features, that resembles what could be considered a self-replicating modular robot. I did some research in the Omnipedia of this great website and came across this article about Replicators.

I have never watched Stargate so I did some searching on Youtube for some of the characters and terms included in this article and found out that there seem to be two distinct types of Replicators: Older ones which are based on some biological concept and evolved to look human-like (these seem to be called the Asuran race). But then there is a newer type of Replicators which look like big insect bugs and are visible made out of modules. I like those more, because they look more like modular robots!

Here are my questions to you Stargate enthusiasts:
    • Did I understand things right, is what I write in the above paragraph correct?
    • Can someone point me to scene where the science behind the new type replicators is explained or where they are shown in great detail?
    • And finally, where could I get hold of this scene (if there is one). I could, of course, buy a DVD pack. But are there other (legal) ways to watch Stargate, maybe on some internet streaming portal like Hulu or Netflix?

Your help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
    Jonas

do you know kieron physics?

Comment

well to offer more help:

THis is usefull

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
        do you know kieron physics?
        Hehe.. Stargate joke.

Episodes with Replicators in them include.. (These are all SG-1 episodes)

3.22 Nemesis
        4.1 Small Victories
        5.1 Enemies
        5.19 Menace
        6.12 Unnatural Selection
        8.1 New Order (pt1) (Replicator storyline starts getting interesting)
        8.2 New Order (pt2)
        8.11 Gemini
        8.16 Reckoning (pt1)
        8.17 Reckoning (pt2)
        8.18 Threads
        Then there's the SG-1 movie Ark of Truth.

Atlantis-

3.5 Progeny
        3.6 The Real World
        3.10 The Return (pt1)
        3.11 The Return (pt 2)
        3.20 First Strike
        4.1 Adrift
        4.2 Lifeline
        4.10 This Mortal Coil
        4.11 Be All My Sins Remember'd
        4.15 Outcast
        5.5 Ghost in the Machine

I believe these are all the episodes with replicators in them... Though I'm sure there are also episodes that talk about them or mention them that I didn't put.
        I don't remember exactly which episodes offer the most technical knowledge.

Hope this helps.

Proud supporter of His holy BAGness!

Comment

The wiki article covers it, however any real life applications are impossible: the replicators, both types, in the show really on a fictional technology called "kiron pathways", these are their circuits, and can channel and convert energy, they use them as both computing substrate and as a means of generating an electromagnetic field that holds blocks together and propels them.

Comment

still the concept is intriguing.

Comment

Dont tell him anything you see what happened with the asgard when they fooled around with it.
              No im just kidding
              or am I

dont make this happen again.

Comment

I know that you just want the answers to your questions so I'm only going spoiler a few things, ie. SG:A season 4 + 5.

Well there are 3 different ''versions'' of the Replicators.
                1) The original form, AKA bug-form, seeing as you're interested in modular robotics, these are proably what you're talking about. They were created in the Milky Way galaxy by a robot called Resse (who looked human).

2) The Human-form replicators are an evolution of the ''bug-form'' version.
                They are much more advanced. After finding out about their creator Resse and her form they developed into Human-form replicators, this happened in a time-dialation field in the galaxy Ida.

3)The Asurans were developed from nanites. These nanites were created by the Ancients, but they formed together in the form of their creators, and therefore (as the Ancients are humanity's first evolution) are Human-form. They were developed in the Pegasus galaxy. They are (as far as we know) no relation to the other Replicators.

In terms of the episodes & scenes where the science is explained.

1) Bug-form
                SG-1: ''Nemesis''; First scene where O'Neill is in same room as Thor.
                And when Sam is viewing the same screen later in the episode.

''Small Victories''; Where Sam & Thor are aboard the ship.

2) Human-form
                SG-1: ''Unnatural Selection''; Where the Replicators are speaking.

''New Order''; Around when Thor first beams up the Replicator.

3) Asurans
                SG:A: ''Progeny''; After Shep.'s ''vision'' while in the cell.

''The Return Part II''; When they first get the ARGs in the SGC before leaving.

Spoiler:
                ''BAMSR''; When formating the plan & just before the ''Blogzilla''

''Ghost In The Machine''; After all the ''Replicators'' are ''visible''

Hope this helps !!!
                Whatever the ancients can do we can, eventually, do better.

Comment

Thank you all for your replies. I just discovered that the first four seasons of SG-1 are available on Hulu so guess how I spend the past few hours! Episode 3.22 for sure has some cool scenes with replicators in it!

Anyways, I will let you guys know, when I'm done building working replicators

Comment

Working...
                  X