Force Shield Flaw. Science involved!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Force Shield Flaw. Science involved!!!!

ok. light is a particle and a wave. a force field would only block waves or particles. if a shield is up you would see black because a shield blocks particles and light is a particle so there would be no light

sigpic
    Sig made by squirrely1
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ
    *PM me if you clicked on that link*

Originally posted by Gavatarman View Post
    ok. light is a particle and a wave. a force field would only block waves or particles. if a shield is up you would see black because a shield blocks particles and light is a particle so there would be no light
    Hmm, what makes you think this? Remember in "Upgrades" when they could run through a force field because they were moving faster than the oscillations of it? Light moves many many orders of magnitude faster than even this, so I see no reason light couldn't get into a force field.

Unless I'm confused about something
    Sig by Pandora's Box
    sigpic

Comment

Science Fiction

There's also sound in space remember
      Jedi_Master_Bra'tac, previously known as wako!

Comment

Originally posted by Jedi_Master_Bra'tac View Post
        Science Fiction

There's no space in sound either!11!~1

Comment

subspace exists...
          ...science/physics/universe can't tell good from bad, which means that both concepts are abstract and don't matter... don't be afraid of acting on this knowledge...

Comment

Why isn't this in science and technology?
            I dunno what to put in here now..

Comment

Originally posted by Coronach View Post
              Hmm, what makes you think this? Remember in "Upgrades" when they could run through a force field because they were moving faster than the oscillations of it? Light moves many many orders of magnitude faster than even this, so I see no reason light couldn't get into a force field.
              in that case stronger light (eg. laser weapon beams) should also get through

Comment

Originally posted by Coronach View Post

Unless I'm confused about something
                Probably because of this, also, ions were able to go through goa'uld shields (Tollan ion cannon) so it would appear to be charge based, charge of light wouldn't be very great (if at all), so it would also go through. Which would then mean Anubis' ships would be blackened... which brings us back to the point above or it blocks all charges not equal to normal light :/

To preserve power, and the fact not many things travel at c, it is most likely shields (if they existed) would have to operate over intervals, an example of this in a scifi show would be Farscape... Or, it could be that shields are automatically adjusted per assault (conserve power), so things which have no affect (eg normal light) are allowed through, while more intense laser (beam weapons) are blocked by drawing more power.

You could also have that the wave of light is refracted through the shield.

Then you have Atlantis' shields, which allow ancient ships to pass through, so there must be some allowable exception to allow light to pass through. :/

Pick one

Comment

The shields aren't active at all times and when they are, you see the shields and not the object behind them. The shield are on but at very, very low power until something impacts it and then they draw power proportional to the power of whatever is impacting it. The more powerful the shield is and the greater the impact, the less you are able to see on the other side of the shield.

Of course, this is all fiction, but the theory is sound in the "physics" of Stargate.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedi_Master_Bra'tac View Post
                    Science Fiction

That can be explained in every episode except Full Circle. The mic's are not where the camera is, they are in the ships.
                    http://forum.gateworld.net/showpost....30&postcount=9
                    http://forum.gateworld.net/showpost....9&postcount=18
                    Originally posted by Jonzey
                    Hardcore nudity means not just without clothes, but without skin. You can't get much more hardcore nude than that.

Comment

Originally posted by SoulRe@ver View Post
                      in that case stronger light (eg. laser weapon beams) should also get through
                      It could be made to block only monochromatic light

Comment

A shield would need to allow anything outgoing while blocking incoming matter and energy. It should reemit in the same direction a limited amount of the radiation that hits it (for visual and sensors) and block the radiation that pases that limit.
                        An effective shield cannot simply let pass light (without absorbing and reemiting) and switch to blocking mode when something hits it because it would be vulnerable to brief intense pulses like a nuclear explosion or the much shorter laser pulses used today in some nuclear fusion experiments.

Comment

If you explain to me on what principle the shields work, I'll tell you whether or not it would transmit light.

Your particle vs wave analogy is extremely flawed, though. Light passes through glass. Ordinary matter does not.
                          MWG Gate Network Simulation

Looks familiar?

Comment

Originally posted by K^2 View Post
                            Light passes through glass. Ordinary matter does not.
                            I dunno, from my experience a rock is matter and it can pass through glass with great ease.
                            All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke

The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own... and yet, how ironic! For I now find, I have no choice at all! I am warrior... let the battle be joined.-Dinobot-Code of Hero

Don't blame me, I voted Cthulhu

Comment

Originally posted by jds1982 View Post
                              I dunno, from my experience a rock is matter and it can pass through glass with great ease.
                              Window glass, sure. Ever tried throwing rocks at armored glass?

Besides, I'm sure that a big enough rock accelerated by big enough mass driver will also have little trouble going through shields. So I think that analogy is mostly fair.
                              MWG Gate Network Simulation

Looks familiar?

Comment

Working...
                              X