Does Zero Point Energy really exist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does Zero Point Energy really exist

I was just wondering whether ZPE existed as a viable power source???
    can ZPMs exist?
    SG-1 members
    Atlantis Team members

Originally posted by pjp View Post
    I was just wondering whether ZPE existed as a viable power source???
    can ZPMs exist?
    no 1 knows cos we dont no if subspace existed

Comment

so its possible then
      SG-1 members
      Atlantis Team members

Comment

ZPM's cant exist, so does subspace,

Zero Point Energy does exist.

the lowest possible energy for a system is "X". but "X" is not zero. "X" is the Zero Point Energy. the Energy at the Lowest (zero) Point.

no energy can get lower than X.

Comment

[QUOTE=thekillman;10351949]ZPM's cant exist, so does subspace,\QUOTE]

similar to absolute zero, where the kinetic theory doesnt apply
          SG-1 members
          Atlantis Team members

Comment

what do you mean?

ZPE is the lowest energy. according to a guy named Splitsecond, who is an actual scientist, Subspace is a lot of bogus.

a ZPM cant exist either. you cant extract ZPE or vacuum energy

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
              what do you mean?

ZPE is the lowest energy. according to a guy named Splitsecond
              to ad to this Albert Einstein and Otto Stern preposed the concept of ZPE in 1913
              SG-1 members
              Atlantis Team members

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                what do you mean?

ZPE is the lowest energy. according to a guy named Splitsecond, who is an actual scientist, Subspace is a lot of bogus.

a ZPM cant exist either. you cant extract ZPE or vacuum energy
                I thought I read somewhere we've managed to get ZPE only that it was just a miniscule amount?
                Robert Jastrow (self-proclaimed agnostic): "For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries."

Comment

Yes
                  SG-1 members
                  Atlantis Team members

Comment

similar to absolute zero, where the kinetic theory doesnt apply
                    What do you mean by this?

BTW, the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle prevents things from reaching absolute zero: if an object were to be at absolute zero, then its atoms would be at rest. If the atoms are at rest, then their momentum is known with know uncertainty, meaning that we cannot know anything at all about their position. This is contradicted by the fact that we know that they are in the object. This means that the object has a minimum temperature, greater than absolute zero, below which it cannot fall.

to ad to this Albert Einstein and Otto Stern preposed the concept of ZPE in 1913
                    The existence of ZPE is unquestioned in this discussion. However, the main point that most of us are making is that it is, by definition, energy that cannot be harnessed for anything, no matter what method is used.
                    "From East Middle School. Suzumiya Haruhi. I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, sliders, or espers here, come join me."
                    - The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya; Best Character Introduction Ever.

"And can we lose the ten thousand year old dead plants?!"
                    - Stargate: Atlantis (1x03) "Hide and Seek"

"Hammerheads do not load/unload units immediately – they must descend to ground level first. Initial experiments involving jump-jetting infantry into the Hammerhead’s cargo compartment met with unfortunate results."
                    - Command&Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath Hammerhead Unit Spotlight

Comment

Originally posted by Quadhelix View Post
                      What do you mean by this?
                      define "this"
                      SG-1 members
                      Atlantis Team members

Comment

define "this"
                        I was asking what you meant by Kinetic Theory not applying at absolute zero, but I looked up Kinetic Theory, so now I know what you mean.
                        "From East Middle School. Suzumiya Haruhi. I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, sliders, or espers here, come join me."
                        - The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya; Best Character Introduction Ever.

"And can we lose the ten thousand year old dead plants?!"
                        - Stargate: Atlantis (1x03) "Hide and Seek"

"Hammerheads do not load/unload units immediately – they must descend to ground level first. Initial experiments involving jump-jetting infantry into the Hammerhead’s cargo compartment met with unfortunate results."
                        - Command&Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath Hammerhead Unit Spotlight

Comment

ok so thats settled then?
                          SG-1 members
                          Atlantis Team members

Comment

Originally posted by Quadhelix View Post
                            BTW, the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle prevents things from reaching absolute zero: if an object were to be at absolute zero, then its atoms would be at rest. If the atoms are at rest, then their momentum is known with know uncertainty, meaning that we cannot know anything at all about their position. This is contradicted by the fact that we know that they are in the object. This means that the object has a minimum temperature, greater than absolute zero, below which it cannot fall.
                            You are mistaken, primarily because the simplistic explanation of temperature as motion of particles is faulty.

Absolute zero is achievable in certain very special situations. Temperature of the laser beam can be thought of as absolute zero. This has to do with the inverted population state created by the pump in the lasing medium.

With more tangible objects, the problem is that heat capacity drops to zero as you approach absolute zero temperature. That makes it more and more difficult to take the heat away from the system.

Typically, by zero point energy people mean the energy of vacuum in its ground state. There are ways to increase that energy, for example, by placing two conductive plates close to each other. That results in an attractive force between the plates, better known as Casimir Effect. But there is no way to lower that energy, so there is no way to harvest it.
                            MWG Gate Network Simulation

Looks familiar?

Comment

ZPE is also present in a stargate wormhole
                              SG-1 members
                              Atlantis Team members

Comment

Working...
                              X