Transforming Ship?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Transforming Ship?

I've been writing a fanfic where a 'head sucked' Tauri survives the process and becomes an Ancient. He then goes on to recruit Bra'tac to help him design new warships. He has the technical knowledge, Bra'tac has the martial knowledge.

In this story, there are a number of supergates...smaller than the Ori version. They were built just barely larger than the width of an Aurora-class warship.

My question is...does it seem plausible to design a ship that is larger than the supergate but then transforms down into an elongated mass to squeeze through, then transforms back into its original mass on the other side?

And if so, what would said ship possibly look like given that it must have a stable, linear core to house it's primary weapon?
    Stargate: ROTA wiki

Originally posted by Aer'ki View Post
    I've been writing a fanfic where a 'head sucked' Tauri survives the process and becomes an Ancient. He then goes on to recruit Bra'tac to help him design new warships. He has the technical knowledge, Bra'tac has the martial knowledge.

In this story, there are a number of supergates...smaller than the Ori version. They were built just barely larger than the width of an Aurora-class warship.

My question is...does it seem plausible to design a ship that is larger than the supergate but then transforms down into an elongated mass to squeeze through, then transforms back into its original mass on the other side?

And if so, what would said ship possibly look like given that it must have a stable, linear core to house it's primary weapon?
    TBH if I was you I'd stick with maybe having a regular ship that keeps it's constant size and shape, but use some kind of Obelisk Transport system like Morgan or Merlin placed next to the gates in The Quest (season 10 of SG1).
    Maybe have a different style gate with the tech built into it.

If you decide to stick with your original idea, maybe just have a mechanical system that, like the Head Suckers coming out of the walls in Fifth Race and The Lost City alters the ships profile.

It's certainly not an unprecedented thing to see in Stargate.

Comment

oh, it certainly IS possible. why not make a ship made of 8 or so independant components, breaks down into them, heads through the gate and re-assembles?

or just take a regular gate, build a beaming station around it and send the matterstream through the gate

Comment

Replicator block ships or nanites could do it
        Robert Jastrow (self-proclaimed agnostic): "For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries."

Comment

I can't believe I missed answering this, if it's like a replicator ship then I guess make it look like a replicator cruiser, having it made of small modular components, each that is multi-functional and capable of self replication if any individual part eventually gets destroyed.
          Don't have a specific area for power generation, energy storage, but have each of the tiny blocks working together do a variety of functions to make the whole ship capable of doing anything and able to adapt to most any situation.

If you decide to go with a more solid, Ancient style design then it could look like an Aurora, maybe a bit more refined looking with the silver sophisticated look of Atlantis, Asgard O'Neill style material and have any outer, side drive pods or anything move to the back or closer into the side of the ship.

TBH it depends on how big you want the gate to be, maybe the gate could be of a modular design and capable of altering it's size and shape to fit whatever ship needs to pass through it.

Comment

Even in the stargate universe I really don't think thats possible.... for the ship to collaspe, I mean properly lose alot of area... entire compartments would have to be collasped, so all the atmosphere would have to be emptied from it and then refilled on the other side, any desks, computers, furniture would have to be removed, certainly any people would have to be removed... Also techincally speaking.. mass would remain constant before and after any such transformations, only the area and spaces between would be increased. Also transformers was good because of Megan fox and the special effects, the writing was awful.....
            I dunno what to put in here now..

Comment

Comment

Trust me to pick something like this as my first Science and Tech post in ages haha

But I agree with Puddle-Jumper. The idea of a collapsing or transformiong ship would be impractical even in the SGVerse because of the fact that simple physics kind if prevents people from being inside it lol.
                However you could apply the same idea to something like the gate have it retract or enlarge upon the transmission of a code from the ship as it dialling an address. This would be simple to put in place story wise.

But if you want something that is a bit wacky and out there for your story then why don't you do something like re-sizing the ship. YOU wouldn't change the mass of the ship, but the relative size to the rest of the universe would decrease. This would be more "Ancienty" wouldn't you say.

Or you could say that the ship project's it's own "Wormhole" that act's like a Stargate going from one fixed point in space to another fixed point in space. BUt then that is takeing from the whole "Stargate" idea and going towards the "Wormhole Drive" area of McGuffin

But if you want something like a transforming ship you could have it where the habitual parts of the ship are in the centre and the rest of the ship is the parts that move, i will try and describe it.

IN the centre is a tube where the most open space is for the crew and other "non-moveable and contractable" parts of the ship are stored and surrounding the ship are several modules that house things like engines and weapon (you decide) that when needed move to the back of the central module and form a sleek and streamline ship that can fit through the Stargate.

Think of the "Probe" form Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home (Google it if you don't know) and then attach some things onto the side that will go to the back... and that is pretty much it.

Hope i can help, and i wouldn't mind having a copy of it when it is done, as i have always pondered the idea of a Taur'i surviving an encounter with the ancient "Head Suckers"
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Puddle-Jumper View Post
                  Even in the stargate universe I really don't think thats possible.... for the ship to collaspe, I mean properly lose alot of area... entire compartments would have to be collasped, so all the atmosphere would have to be emptied from it and then refilled on the other side, any desks, computers, furniture would have to be removed, certainly any people would have to be removed... Also techincally speaking.. mass would remain constant before and after any such transformations, only the area and spaces between would be increased. Also transformers was good because of Megan fox and the special effects, the writing was awful.....
                  I didn't mean a volume decrease, I mean it reordered into an elongated form that would fit through the diameter of the gate. Like, for a crude example, take a 200 meter wide ship, 400 meters long and rearrange the parts so that it will be 100 meters wide and 800 meters long. Ignore the numbers, but I hope you see my point. The puddle jumpers retract drive pods to get through, but their overall width is still just within the diameter of the gate.

My question is, could a ship change it's shape to fit through the gate and have a 'fixed' width that is greater than the gate. Not just have side pods retract or pull back.

The ship would look thick and chunky, elongate down into a needle, pass through the gate, then reform into its compact form.

And the idea is that the network of supergates had originally been built by the Alterrans, so I can't fudge with the size or function. It should be just wider than an aurora, assuming of course the aurora-class ships were designed with that width in mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Rise Of The Phoenix View Post
                    I can't believe I missed answering this, if it's like a replicator ship then I guess make it look like a replicator cruiser, having it made of small modular components, each that is multi-functional and capable of self replication if any individual part eventually gets destroyed.
                    Don't have a specific area for power generation, energy storage, but have each of the tiny blocks working together do a variety of functions to make the whole ship capable of doing anything and able to adapt to most any situation.

If you decide to go with a more solid, Ancient style design then it could look like an Aurora, maybe a bit more refined looking with the silver sophisticated look of Atlantis, Asgard O'Neill style material and have any outer, side drive pods or anything move to the back or closer into the side of the ship.

TBH it depends on how big you want the gate to be, maybe the gate could be of a modular design and capable of altering it's size and shape to fit whatever ship needs to pass through it.
                    I considered that, but I have to believe there is a disadvantage to such a modular design. I intend to have a fixed frame with replicator-style armor that will be able to fill in holes when damaged so long as the reserve store of armor cells isn't completely depleted.

Comment

you just want the ship to become longer and thinner?
                      how about making a tube like thing down the middle that doesn't move and then have the side kind of slide away? the tube in the middle with blocks on the side? the right side slides up and into place infront of the ship and the left slides back and into the back of the ship? or both to the front to avoid blocking the engines.
                      basically 3 tube type things
                      move the right up and the left then up above that and you've taken a lets say 300m ship to 100m or whatever?
                      if the doors are airtight (which i'm guessing they would on a spaceship) just seal them before moving it and you got it?

Comment

Sounds like a rather silly idea. Why not simply make the ship very long to begin with and keep it that way? As long as you have a good transport system and inertia dampeners, it should not have negative consequences in combat.

Originally posted by Crazy Tom View Post

That was the mental image I got from this topic as well.
                        MWG Gate Network Simulation

Looks familiar?

Comment

Originally posted by K^2 View Post
                          Sounds like a rather silly idea. Why not simply make the ship very long to begin with and keep it that way? As long as you have a good transport system and inertia dampeners, it should not have negative consequences in combat.

That was the mental image I got from this topic as well.
                          Maybe he wants it to be more than meets the eye?
                          Sig by Pandora's Box
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Coronach View Post
                            Maybe he wants it to be more than meets the eye?
                            Your Post count was at 666 when i read this O_O

Also I thin the Puddle Jumpers drive pod's idea is the best you are going to get if you want a ship either the same size or greater than an Aroura.

You could have it where the sections that protrude outwards slide into the hull of the ship temporarily for transit and then come back out afterwards when you get there.
                            But if you don't want that, you could just do something like, it had internal transporter's (or something near the gate) that beamed you through the gate.
                            sigpic

Comment

Stargate: Transformers series

Comment

Working...
                              X