A Stargate has two sides...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Stargate has two sides...

... but only one is safe to enter, right? If you enter from the wrong side, you're toast.

So suppose you unearth a buried Stargate. The DHD or the original pedestal are nowhere to be seen. You want to install it in your very special military compound inside a mountain and "Mcgyver" a dialing system- but how do you know which side of the gate should be facing you and which one should be facing the wall before you actually dial the thing?
    If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

Originally posted by Womble View Post
    ... but only one is safe to enter, right? If you enter from the wrong side, you're toast.

So suppose you unearth a buried Stargate. The DHD or the original pedestal are nowhere to be seen. You want to install it in your very special military compound inside a mountain and "Mcgyver" a dialing system- but how do you know which side of the gate should be facing you and which one should be facing the wall before you actually dial the thing?
    I thought this was a recurring joke in which people would ask "What happens when you go through the back of the Stargate instead?". The fact that the question was being asked leads me to believe that we don't know if one side or the other is safe to enter, as it's never been shown on the show.

Or maybe I missed something recently?
    Sig by Pandora's Box
    sigpic

Comment

i'm not sure, but i think the symbols are only on one side.
      sigpic

Spoiler:
      Originally posted by IMDB
      Revealing mistakes: Throughout the series, the IDC is received by the SGC before the wormhole has been established.
      Hehe

Comment

the light are only on one side... the front... go towards the light
        Plus the Whoosh vs the spinning vortex would give you a clue...

Comment

Originally posted by Womble View Post
          It's the side with the symbols. As can be seen below, the back of the 'Gate looks nothing like the front.

Front:
          Spoiler:

(From here)

Back:
          Spoiler:

(From here)
          "From East Middle School. Suzumiya Haruhi. I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, sliders, or espers here, come join me."
          - The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya; Best Character Introduction Ever.

"And can we lose the ten thousand year old dead plants?!"
          - Stargate: Atlantis (1x03) "Hide and Seek"

"Hammerheads do not load/unload units immediately – they must descend to ground level first. Initial experiments involving jump-jetting infantry into the Hammerhead’s cargo compartment met with unfortunate results."
          - Command&Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath Hammerhead Unit Spotlight

Comment

i like to think that the back is just a huge wall of water that u can't go through
            sigpic

Comment

Well the symbols for dialing are probably only visable on the side you enter, as would the chevrons be, not to mention the kawoosh, even though the back of the gate has its own thing too... Still its wouldn't be difficult to work out..
              I dunno what to put in here now..

Comment

Heres an idea what if when the DHD is on the wrong side of the gate it acts as some sort of safeguard and wont allow you to establish a connection even if everything is working at the other end.

Quick question are the DHD's wireless or connected by cables to the gate?

STARGATE SG1 FAN
                STARGATE ATLANTIS FAN

Comment

If it vworks how I think it works, that is it turns you into a energy signature and then transmits you, if you step through the back you will be transported fine but you would be reconstructed with a momentum carrying you towards the event horizon. So if you don't stop soon enough you step back into the gate a die.
                  Originally posted by Craig Charles
                  "And the 'replicator' has just entered Sir Killalot's corner and Killalot is...urm...wait a minute... Sir Killalot has just been eaten by the 'replicator' and now there's two of them..."

Comment

Originally posted by snave21 View Post
                    Heres an idea what if when the DHD is on the wrong side of the gate it acts as some sort of safeguard and wont allow you to establish a connection even if everything is working at the other end.

Quick question are the DHD's wireless or connected by cables to the gate?
                    Wireless would be my best educated guess
                    WHAT REALLY HAPPENED IN WW2!

Spoiler:
                    Germany Chiefed Poland.
                    England broke their NAP with Germany because Poland was their ally.
                    England and its allies defend from German attacks, but suffer heavy losses as Germany has level 10 rams.
                    France got Chiefed.
                    Japan decided to scout America.
                    America got pissed off, and sent a couple waves with 10k Imperians at them, with 1k catapults for sh!ts & giggles.
                    America cut Japan to 90 pop.
                    Germany sends a Chieftain Train at the USSR, gets loyalty down to 1.
                    USSR builds up troops with their lvl 20 resources and lvl 20 barracks before the Chieftains can hit again. Walls go back up to level 20. German Chiefs were all destroyed.
                    Germany just keeps sending troops although it's clear they cannot take USSR.
                    Eventually troops run out since USSR can produce them faster.
                    USSR, Britain and the USA simultaneously hit Germany with their own Chieftains, and Chiefs.
                    Hitler deleted his account...
                    USSR, change their name to Russia...

Comment

The kawoosh duh!!!

Comment

Originally posted by XxX_Kavan Smith_is_Mine_XxX View Post
                        Wireless would be my best educated guess

No they must be wired as in the episode 48 hours where teal'c is trapped in the gate when they establish the event horizen and he stepps out the Gate overloads and then sends energy down cables that overloads the gate.

Also in the eppisode Solitudes where Carter and O'neil and up in antartica because the departure gate was struck by lighting Carter mentions that the movement of the ice has severed the connection with the DHD, if it were wireless that would not be a problem

The gates in the Pegasus galaxy were an improvement on the milky way gates in there digital style and these however must have been wireless so puddle Jumpers could dial them like space gates.

There are no space gates in the milky way but half the gates used for the intergalactic bridge were milkey way gates suggesting that the milkey way gates could be modified to accept remote commands.

Comment

Originally posted by snave21 View Post
                          What purpose would that serve when, as I have already noted, the back of the 'Gate looks almost nothing like the front?

Originally posted by Discodave2009 View Post
                          No they must be wired as in the episode 48 hours where teal'c is trapped in the gate when they establish the event horizen and he stepps out the Gate overloads and then sends energy down cables that overloads the gate.

Also in the eppisode Solitudes where Carter and O'neil and up in antartica because the departure gate was struck by lighting Carter mentions that the movement of the ice has severed the connection with the DHD, if it were wireless that would not be a problem
                          Conversely, in the episode "Touchstone," the rogue NID operatives dialed the 'Gate using a DHD in a truck, with no physical connection to the 'Gate whatsoever. See this and this.
                          "From East Middle School. Suzumiya Haruhi. I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, sliders, or espers here, come join me."
                          - The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya; Best Character Introduction Ever.

"And can we lose the ten thousand year old dead plants?!"
                          - Stargate: Atlantis (1x03) "Hide and Seek"

"Hammerheads do not load/unload units immediately – they must descend to ground level first. Initial experiments involving jump-jetting infantry into the Hammerhead’s cargo compartment met with unfortunate results."
                          - Command&Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath Hammerhead Unit Spotlight

Comment

Originally posted by Quadhelix View Post
                            What purpose would that serve when, as I have already noted, the back of the 'Gate looks almost nothing like the front?

Conversely, in the episode "Touchstone," the rogue NID operatives dialed the 'Gate using a DHD in a truck, with no physical connection to the 'Gate whatsoever. See this and this.
                            Yeah but this could be another instance of Humans modifying the gates to accept remote commands, There is evidence for either case I suppose maybe its just bad continuity or the anchients originaly designed them wireless and then improved them or the Gould did who knows.

Comment

Originally posted by Discodave2009 View Post
                              Yeah but this could be another instance of Humans modifying the gates to accept remote commands, There is evidence for either case I suppose maybe its just bad continuity or the anchients originaly designed them wireless and then improved them or the Gould did who knows.
                              More likely Carter never new how the gate was connected to the DHD and presume it was physical connection, as it was the way they connected there home made dialling computers to the gate. We know from the Teall'c getting stuck episode that Carter was not really involve in further study of how the gates and DHD function together, she focus more the practical matter of making sure SGC gate stayed operational and upgrading earth dialing program.

The episode where they get stuck Antarctica was in the first season and before she became all knowing and could figure out any technology just by looking at or plugging her ultra universal pc tablet 2000 into it.

When tealc got stuck in gate they more than likely use a physical connection so that they could analyse the signal being sent to the gate from the DHD, to make sure the Gould did not double cross us again and also further enhance there knowledge of how the DHD and the Gate work togeather, this is the first time as far as we know the SGC had a chance to play around with both connected devices.

My guess would be physical connection is the human way of doing it and wireless connection is the ancient way of doing it, they probably built the stargate to be able to do both as primitive civilisation would find it easier to access the Stargate systems using wired transmission rather wireless. Wired way is a safe guard if the DHD is disable or destroyed. Plus the Stargate can also be activated remotely by ship, which we have seen the milky way gates do several times, without modification.

Comment

Working...
                              X