X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spawn - upcoming film reboot

New Spawn Movie on the Horizon?

Todd McFarlane made the trip from Pheonix, AZ to Tempe to be one of the lucky viewers of the Wolverine premier.

IESB caught up with the comic legend to get some dig on his latest projects.

From IESB:

Todd McFarlane tells us he has five offers on the table to do a new Spawn film. From big special effects studio budgets to a smaller indie budgets that he hopes to be able to write and direct himself. Which will he choose?

Will Spawn be resurrected at the box office to fight the forces of Hell, or will we just end up with another John Leguizamo in bad clown makeup?

From the video on IESB, McFarlane says:

"To where I'm leaning which is actually sort of a smaller budget. Just keep it down, keep it dark, Keep it grungy. I mean, I've got two teenage daughters, and I’m trying to come up with an idea that I've been living with for ten years, that would actually get them and their dates to go to it, and it's not a comic book movie, it's just a scary movie, a creepy movie. It happens to have… everythings real, except for one element which happens to be the character we know as Spawn. So it's not going to be a super villain verses a superhero or anything like that stuff. It's just gonna be a tight movie. Think of 'Departed' with something sort of moving in the shadows a little bit."

McFarlane specifies his preference for a smaller studio because that will give him more writing and producing control. He also goes on to say that all the rights regarding the HBO animated series will revert back to him at the end of the year. He expressed his desire to get another animated version of Spawn going using newer technologies.

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansit...t/news/?a=7201

Todd McFarlane Has Some More Spawn Reboot News

Comic book fans know Spawn as a badass anti-hero who mixed religion and superheroism into a powerful, immensely popular mix that re-wrote the graphic novel template in the early ’90s. Movie fans, unfortunately, remember the character as the star of a 1997 suckfest that has been largely forgotten. Now, creator Todd McFarlane is finalizing plans to bring the character some respect on the big-screen with a new movie.

“With Spawn, I have five legitimate offers sitting on the table,” the writer/artist/entrepreneur revealed to MTV News recently. “Ever since ‘Iron Man,’ they’ve been phoning every day.”

At this point, McFarlane explained, he’s trying to decide between two options: “If I go with the lower-budget movie, they’ll let me direct it. And if I go bigger, than I sit in the producer’s chair; if the budget’s too big, they’re not going to give me the chance at [directing] it. So I’m trying to decide whether I want to go big production, bigger money, bigger marketing — or just do something that’s a little bit smaller, more rock ‘n’ roll, and the way I’ve had it in my brain for the last five years.”

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansit...e/news/?a=7393

Comment

DiCaprio sought for 'Spawn' film

Spawn creator Todd McFarlane has confirmed that Leonardo DiCaprio is his first choice to play the lead in the franchise's upcoming film reboot.

McFarlane - who is helming the project - revealed that an unnamed character who tracks Spawn will be the movie's protagonist, and believes that the Revolutionary Road actor would be ideal for the part.

"The main character isn't Spawn, per se, it's the guy chasing Spawn. And I've always had Leonardo in the back of my mind," he said.

"It's a big wish, but his dad was a big fan of underground comic books and he came from that. It's not a big special effects movie, it's a character movie, so I could shoot it in 40 to 50 days and you don't have to budget that much time."

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/comics/a...pawn-film.html

Comment

I just don't know if he could get DiCaprio.
        sigpic
        MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
        "...phu...ah..."
        "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
        Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

McFarlane begins work on 'Spawn' script

Spawn creator Todd McFarlane has begun work on the screenplay for the Image character's next film outing.

Speaking to Coming Soon, the acclaimed comic book writer and artist revealed that the proposed movie will be a standalone story, geared towards a mature audience.

"The story has been in my head for seven or right years. The movie idea is neither a recap or continuation. It is a standalone story that will be R-rated. Creepy and scary," he said. "The tone of this Spawn movie will be for a more older audience. Like the film The Departed."

Spawn tells the story of Al Simmons, a former CIA agent who is betrayed to his death. After bargaining with the devil, the character returns to earth as a hellspawn equipped with supernatural powers.

McFarlane recently expressed his desire to cast Leonardo DiCaprio as the lead in the new film.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/comics/a...wn-script.html

Comment

It will be interesting to see what comes of this. I loved the Spawn comics growing up.
            sigpic
            MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
            "...phu...ah..."
            "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
            Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

I never read any of the Spawn comics, I missed the first issue so didn't bother to pick up the rest.

I remember the movie when it came out, your so-so superhero VFX heavy ''Blockbuster''. Ok for it's time. Didn't care much for it. However, I am intrigued by the direction McFarlane wants to take this new idea.
              sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X