Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Priest - News/Discussion

How Cam Gigandet goes from Twilight vampire to Priest's vamp slayer

Former Twilight vampire Cam Gigandet plays a hunter of vampires in the upcoming supernatural horror western film Priest but told SCI FI Wire that they're a different kind of bloodsucker from the sparkly romantic ones in Stephenie Meyer's books.

"If you wanted to call them something, they would be vampires, but not in the terms that we think vampires are," Gigandet said in an interview on the Los Angeles set of his new film, The Roommate. "They don't like sun, and that's kind of the main similarity. Other than that, they don't look like humans, and they move differently. When people think of vampires now, they think of Twilight, but it's not like that at all."

Priest, based on a TokyoPop comic book, is set in a world ravaged by centuries of war between man and vampires. It follows a warrior priest (Paul Bettany) who turns against the church to track down a murderous band of vampires who have kidnapped his niece. Gigandet plays a young wasteland sheriff who is part vampire and who partners with Bettany's priest to save the girl he loves.

Gigandet said that he'll begin shooting Priest at the "end of August. That one's a big movie." Following is an edited version of the rest of our interview with Gigandet. Priest is eyeing an August 2010 release date.

continues:-
    http://scifiwire.com/2009/06/how-cam...t-goes-fro.php

Interesting. I have never heard of Priest, but the premise of it sounds good so far, plus Cam Gigandet is a good actor to me, he was awesome in Never Back Down.

Comment

Karl Urban and Maggie Q join Priest

With production gearing up next week in Los Angeles, two key cast members have been revealed for Priest, Cory Goodman's adaptation of the popular Tokyopop comic.

Star Trek's Dr. McCoy will be showing his villainous side as Black Hat, the evil leader of a vampire group. Once a priest and hunter, he now fancies himself a god of vampires. He's responsible for the kidnap of a young girl, which sets his former comrades, led by Paul Bettany's character, on his trail.

Die Hard 4.0's Maggie Q has been cast as a vampire hunting priestess who joins Bettany's team.

Priest is being directed by Scott Stewart for Screen Gems, and is scheduled to open in America on August 13th next year.

http://totalscifionline.com/news/387...-q-join-priest

Comment

'True Blood' star for vampire drama 'Priest'

True Blood star Stephen Moyer has been added to the cast of vampire thriller Priest, says Variety.

Moyer will play the brother of Bettany's character, a rebellious clergyman who turns his back on the church to track down the vampires who kidnapped his niece. 90210's Lily Collins has also joined the movie in the niece role.

Karl Urban and Maggie Q last week boarded the Screen Gems project, which Scott Stewart is directing based on Cory Goodman's script.

The movie, which begins production in Los Angeles today, is an adaptation of the TokyoPop comic book.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/a...ma-priest.html

Comment

There was also a RPG game in the works on this comic but I think it was scrapped years back as I haven't heard anything about it in a while. I like Paul Bettany so I hope this movie works out. Vampires seem to be in right now.
          sigpic

Comment

Priest Release Date Moved Forward

Priest is bringing out the sunglasses. ShockTillYouDrop.com is reporting Screen Gems has moved the release date of Priest up to August 27 from their original release date of October 1 2010.

Priest as the storyline goes, is set in a world of centuries of war between mankind and the vampire race, which centers on a warrior priest who turns against the church when his niece is kidnapped by a murderous band of vampires which he goes tracking down.

Its based on an ongoing manhwa (Korean comic) series created by Hyung Min-woo. It fuses the Western genre with supernatural horror, Gun fu, and dark fantasy themes and is notable for its unusual, angular art style of which the movie is based.

Starring: Paul Bettany, Maggie Q, Cam Gigandet, Stephen Moyer, Karl Urban, Lily Collins, Christopher Plummer, Madchen Amick, Brad Dourif and Scott Stewart is the Director.

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansit.../news/?a=12499

Comment

Priest is a future western that pits 'Jedis' vs. vampires

Director Scott Stewart and actor Paul Bettany had so much fun working together on Legion that they teamed up again for Priest, an upcoming futuristic vampire story based on a Korean comic book. In the movie, Jedi-like warrior priests battle vampires in a post-apocalyptic wasteland that's like the Old West.

Thing is, the comic book wasn't a future story and didn't deal with vampires; rather, it was set in the actual Old West, and its main character, the immortal priest Ivan Isaacs, instead battles fallen angels. That might seem like a big change, but Priest creator Hyung Min-woo doesn't mind.

"Min-woo came out and visited us over the summer," Stewart said in a group interview last week in Los Angeles. "He'd read a translation of the script and came out and was really, really pleased with what he saw. We talk about the graphic novels as being the past, and [the film version of] Priest is kind of the future."

In the movie, the fallen angels are now vampires, but otherwise the graphic novel is the film's history. If that doesn't make sense, the graphic novels are even making adjustments to bridge the gap between literature and film.

continues:
              http://scifiwire.com/2010/01/priest-...ure-wester.php

Comment

Priest Trailer Released

The trailer is now online for next year's comic book adaptation.

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansit.../news/?a=20514

SDCC 10: Priest Video Interviews

http://uk.media.movies.ign.com/media...64/vids_1.html

Comment

This sounds interesting
                  Last Movie Watched
                  X-men - First Class

Last Video Game Played
                  Life is Strange

Comment

I searched for a thread on this topic and could not find one. Based on a graphic Novel; here is the synapse:

Priest is a 2011 American supernatural action film starring Paul Bettany as the title character. The film, directed by Scott Stewart, is based on the Korean comic of the same name. In an alternate world, humanity and vampires have warred for centuries. After the last Vampire War, the veteran Warrior Priest (Bettany) lives in obscurity with other humans inside one of the Church's walled cities. When the Priest's niece (Lily Collins) is kidnapped by vampires, the Priest breaks his vows to hunt them down. He is accompanied by the niece's boyfriend (Cam Gigandet), who is a wasteland sheriff, and a former Warrior Priestess (Maggie Q).[2]
                    If you have had a chance to see it, any thoughts? Comparison to graphic novel and upholding the integrity through the film?

Here is a link to a trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VNczhWD2ao
                    sigpic
                    Does anyone else respond to something shocking in the manner of ELI....
                    "YOU KNEW ABOUT THIS THE WHOLE TIME!"
                    Global Warming: "YOU KNEW ABOUT THIS THE WHOLE TIME!"
                    Ancient Aliens: "YOU KNEW ABOUT THIS THE WHOLE TIME!"
                    etc.....

Comment

"Now in theaters"? I'm pretty sure around here it was out about a month ago, flopped, and has already left theaters
                      "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                        "Now in theaters"? I'm pretty sure around here it was out about a month ago, flopped, and has already left theaters
                        Agreed. Went to see...said wtf does this need to be in 3D? Haven't thought about movie since that day. Concluded it was better than Legion though...which isn't hard to accomplish rofl.

Priest wasn't terrible, it just wasn't anything special. Cool idea about the vampires in the movie but other than that nothing memorable.
                        sigpic
                        Originally posted by dacooker
                        The ships named Destiny for a reason....three years my friend, three years....

Comment

It could have been much better than it was, but it wasnt a bad movie

dont really think it deserves its own thread
                          Last Movie Watched
                          X-men - First Class

Last Video Game Played
                          Life is Strange

Comment

Wow, it wasn't that bad. I am in the midwest so we get everything last therefore it leaves last. I thought it had allot of meat in it worth discussing. The main idea of this thread was to discuss the differences or the likes of the graphic novel vs. the movie. I thought the graphics were awesome but found that the movie lacked some key components. For instance slightly less religious, and no fallen angels although it could have all been interpreted differently. Agreed on the 3D aspect, although I watched it at home anyway. It was too short IMO which lead to more blazay and less character involvement and development.

Some of the effects were mighty cool though, for instance the bikes were absolutely amazing. Not to mention the fight scenes had a super cool adaptive kung fu/ matrix....but what movie is not reminiscent of the matrix?

The content was weak, but everything else was flashy and worth watching. Now Legion, yeah not hard to beat...

As for the thread, its one out of thousands, whether it continues or not oh well. Just thought out of all the persons on gateworld maybe one or two would have a thought on the movie, not expecting EPIC thread.
                            sigpic
                            Does anyone else respond to something shocking in the manner of ELI....
                            "YOU KNEW ABOUT THIS THE WHOLE TIME!"
                            Global Warming: "YOU KNEW ABOUT THIS THE WHOLE TIME!"
                            Ancient Aliens: "YOU KNEW ABOUT THIS THE WHOLE TIME!"
                            etc.....

Comment

I'm not familiar with the graphic novels, but just from the looks of the trailer for the movie all I could think is why Paul Bettany is wasting his talents once again in what is likely to be another CGI flop.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X