Earth Expansion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Earth Expansion

Why haven't we started covertly collecting gates and set up our own secure network of uninhabited class M planets? If you think about it, we have 100,000s of engineers, doctors, craftsman, etc. that retire each year that could be teamed with hoards of fresh graduates. We could easily set up something like the aschen did and farm, drill for oil, mine, produce chemicals, build university planets offworld etc. If you think about it, setting up (shielded and well armed) communities of 20000 people would be fairly easy.

How do you explain so many people disappearing?

Even if you do it, what then? What purpose do these colonies serve? Mining? A smaller base would be more efficient, heck, hiring the natives would work best here.

Research? We have more facilities on Earth, and dangerous experiments are better handled in more unpopulated places anyways.

Colonization only becomes truly profitable since the SG program goes public. IN fact, they really should do it, at this point, it would be the smart thing to do.

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy Tom View Post
      How do you explain so many people disappearing?

Even if you do it, what then? What purpose do these colonies serve? Mining? A smaller base would be more efficient, heck, hiring the natives would work best here.

Research? We have more facilities on Earth, and dangerous experiments are better handled in more unpopulated places anyways.

Colonization only becomes truly profitable since the SG program goes public. IN fact, they really should do it, at this point, it would be the smart thing to do.
      Hey, Crazy TOm, not spoke to u for an age!

I think Morrismike's plan is good. Collect gates, seed worlds and set up up areas for colonisation. Then, go public and u can 'let' or sell each world to whichever country wants it
      sigpic
      385 Heroes coming Home

Here's to smart Mods

Comment

Originally posted by Garrowan5th View Post

I think Morrismike's plan is good. Collect gates, seed worlds and set up up areas for colonisation. Then, go public and u can 'let' or sell each world to whichever country wants it
        that goes against UN laws, No single country can own,control, or colonize any spacial body, be it a planet,moon, or asteroid. Though I personally think it is ridiculous it is international law, of course we the US, the Russians, and The Chines have already broken International space law by using nuclear weapons in space both in reality and in the SG verse, so in retrospect we should defiantly stick it to those annoying UN people and do it anyways.
        sigpic
        Alt Reality Stargate Fanfic Click and coment
        STARGATE RESURRECTION

Comment

Originally posted by General_Finley View Post
          that goes against UN laws, No single country can own,control, or colonize any spacial body, be it a planet,moon, or asteroid. Though I personally think it is ridiculous it is international law, of course we the US, the Russians, and The Chines have already broken International space law by using nuclear weapons in space both in reality and in the SG verse, so in retrospect we should defiantly stick it to those annoying UN people and do it anyways.
          Well, so has the US in the gateverse.

That's how it stands now. But in those circumstances I'm sure the IOA would have some clout and they'd change the law. THey change the damn IntLaw anytime they want to get what they want.
          sigpic
          385 Heroes coming Home

Here's to smart Mods

Comment

Yeah, I've been keeping out of the day to day threads.

Originally posted by General_Finley View Post
            In reality? When has anyone detonated a nuclear weapon in space?

Well, so has the US in the gateverse.

That's how it stands now. But in those circumstances I'm sure the IOA would have some clout and they'd change the law. THey change the damn IntLaw anytime they want to get what they want.
            Selling off planets would be pointless since there are so man out there, and political suicide as your seen as the power hungry dictator.

Comment

Selling off planets would be pointless since there are so man out there, and political suicide as your seen as the power hungry dictator.
              True, but when ur are the only nation with stargate access, then ur laughing. And the Commies? Uv got more 304's than them
              They can call u a dictator if they want, but ur the one who can leave the planet when toruble comes along!!
              sigpic
              385 Heroes coming Home

Here's to smart Mods

Comment

True, but when ur are the only nation with stargate access, then ur laughing. And the Commies? Uv got more 304's than them
                They can call u a dictator if they want, but ur the one who can leave the planet when toruble comes along!!
                The Commies are the least of your problems, revolution from your own people might be more of a pressing issue if they see you as too undemocratic. And then you have your morally righteous characters.

Besides, what happens when the commies and all their buddies decide to stop trading with you in retaliation? Last I hear, America's got quite the pretty debt to China.

Comment

The Commies are the least of your problems, revolution from your own people might be more of a pressing issue if they see you as too undemocratic. And then you have your morally righteous characters.

Besides, what happens when the commies and all their buddies decide to stop trading with you in retaliation? Last I hear, America's got quite the pretty debt to China.
                  Damn. U got me there.
                  Still think u could sell planets, but not to the US's budget, more for an org like the IOA only better, in order to keep the gate system going and pay for a UN style defence agreement in space for the colonies?

Try this thread btw. It may be mildly entertaining.
                  http://forum.gateworld.net/showthrea...0#post10286630
                  sigpic
                  385 Heroes coming Home

Here's to smart Mods

Comment

Damn. U got me there.
                    Still think u could sell planets, but not to the US's budget, more for an org like the IOA only better, in order to keep the gate system going and pay for a UN style defence agreement in space for the colonies?

Try this thread btw. It may be mildly entertaining.
                    http://forum.gateworld.net/showthrea...0#post10286630
                    I don't think that's required. You could charge money for survey data, but aside form that. It's a lot likelier that each government would set up it's own colony, finance, it, support it, and all would be defended by the international fleet.

Comment

I don't think that's required. You could charge money for survey data, but aside form that. It's a lot likelier that each government would set up it's own colony, finance, it, support it, and all would be defended by the international fleet.
                      Meh, my idea was good....til it failed......
                      sigpic
                      385 Heroes coming Home

Here's to smart Mods

Comment

One major problem with the plan is that any gate that is part of the usual gate network probably cannot be part of a private network.

Comment

IMO a good idea would be to just set up joint colonies on a few worlds, no need to create isolated ones for each nation, in fact I think doing that could eventually lead to some colonial wars which we don't really want.
                          TBH just having the one off world colony with however many retirees still want to work would be good enough.

Keep things as united as is possible, international crews for ships and base management would be cool.
                          IMO everything to deal with deep space should be an international affair.
                          We already know what materials are needed for our advanced technology, it doesn't really appear to be all that scarce as to cause problems, the only thing that's a problem at the moment is how many ships Earth is capable of producing, so if we have a few places that can make a few ships a year we'd be sorted.

I think Baal was planning on creating an isolated gate network in the Milky Way in Off The Grid so it is canon that is possible, Naruce mentions it in the episode I think.

Comment

International crews are kind of problematic through, different languages, command structures, etc.

And if we know anything about people, is that they don't like to share. Colonial wars don't make sense here, becuase there is no issue of lack of land, you have an entire galaxy.

Comment

Originally posted by Splitsecond View Post
                              One major problem with the plan is that any gate that is part of the usual gate network probably cannot be part of a private network.
                              That would be the whole point.

Comment

Working...
                              X