Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

39 Symbols Question

Hi, everybody!

I'm working on a design for a custom Stargate, and I want accuracy to be important. I own the Stargate Ultimate Visual Guide and it has provided me with good information, but fails to answer a big question.

According to canon Stargate, the gate itself always has a ring of 39 symbols (Milky Way Galaxy). On Earth, that gate has a unique symbol (Giza) which is the point of origin. Abydos, also, has a unique symbol as the point of origin on its stargate, along with the other 38 "global" symbols.

BUT - some planets, like Chulak, do NOT have a unique point of origin symbol. The point of origin symbol for Chulak is Serpens Caput (#7) which is one of the 38 global symbols.

So, the question is - on gates like that, what does it have for the 39th symbol since there is no unique point of origin???

Thanks, everybody!

-Scott

It has a smily face. Those gate building ancients were real jokesters. but seriously, Uh dun know.....
    Wraith ships are giant lobsters.

Comment

just pick one

www.darkarmada.nl
      www.runescape.com

Ode aan Nederlandsch-Indië

Comment

The point of origin is the coordinates in space of the world in question.

Not all worlds will align with full gate coordinates. Indeed only a small percentage will. Most will require a custom symbol and coordinates.

Therefore put in the 38 symbols that you want and then stick on one to signify that particular planet.

Also remember the Goa'uld gate and the Alteran Earth gates each had different Point of Origin symbols though the coordinates where the same.

Comment

You missed the point of the question. If point of origin glyph is already one of 38 glyphs, and there still need to be 39 on the gate. So is one glyph repeated twice? Is there a useless glyph? Is there a blank space?

With DHD, it's a bit easier since it only holds 38 glyphs. But this always bugged me with planets that do have a unique point of origin glyph. Which glyph do they omit on the DHD?

I tried to look at screen caps of the gates on Chulak, but I can't seem to find enough images to know for sure what's going on with it.
          MWG Gate Network Simulation

Looks familiar?

Comment

Originally posted by K^2 View Post
            You missed the point of the question. If point of origin glyph is already one of 38 glyphs, and there still need to be 39 on the gate. So is one glyph repeated twice? Is there a useless glyph? Is there a blank space?

With DHD, it's a bit easier since it only holds 38 glyphs. But this always bugged me with planets that do have a unique point of origin glyph. Which glyph do they omit on the DHD?

I tried to look at screen caps of the gates on Chulak, but I can't seem to find enough images to know for sure what's going on with it.
            some planets have 38 glyphs becuase the point of origin if one of the standard 38 glyphs so on tht gate there is only 38 glyphs no more no less

Comment

So then is the diameter of the ring different? Or does each glyph occupy a greater segment? And what if you take a 38 glyph gate and connect a 39 glyph DHD? Would it not mess with the operation?

Looks familiar?

Comment

DHD's only contain 38 of the 39 glyphs.
                supersoldier34sigpic

Comment

I know. I mean, the DHD that expects 39 glyphs around gate's circumference. Would there being only 38 throw DHD off?

Looks familiar?

Comment

I think there's at least 39 generic symbols. If you have a unique POO you can only access 38.
                    Originally posted by Craig Charles
                    "And the 'replicator' has just entered Sir Killalot's corner and Killalot is...urm...wait a minute... Sir Killalot has just been eaten by the 'replicator' and now there's two of them..."

Comment

Originally posted by scodavis View Post
                      Hi, everybody!

I'm working on a design for a custom Stargate, and I want accuracy to be important. I own the Stargate Ultimate Visual Guide and it has provided me with good information, but fails to answer a big question.

According to canon Stargate, the gate itself always has a ring of 39 symbols (Milky Way Galaxy). On Earth, that gate has a unique symbol (Giza) which is the point of origin. Abydos, also, has a unique symbol as the point of origin on its stargate, along with the other 38 "global" symbols.

BUT - some planets, like Chulak, do NOT have a unique point of origin symbol. The point of origin symbol for Chulak is Serpens Caput (#7) which is one of the 38 global symbols.

So, the question is - on gates like that, what does it have for the 39th symbol since there is no unique point of origin???

Thanks, everybody!

-Scott
                      Every gate has it's own POO, and any time you've seen one of the 38 symbols used as a POO it's a production error.

DHD's have 38 glyphs because the big red button is supposed to be the POO button (theory one) or because every gate isn;t capable of dialing every other (theory two).

I prefer theory 1, and think every time someone dialed seven symbols and hit that button it was a production error. (like lights coming on one by one when dialing in.)
                      "Enemies of the Ori show no mercy in their attempts to draw believers away from the path."
                      "Those who abandon the path are evil."
                      "Hallowed are the Ori!"

"Individuals who point the finger and assign blame based on nothing more than their gut instinct are ignorant at best, cretins at worst." -- Joseph Mallozzi

Comment

Originally posted by K^2 View Post
                        So then is the diameter of the ring different? Or does each glyph occupy a greater segment? And what if you take a 38 glyph gate and connect a 39 glyph DHD? Would it not mess with the operation?
                        they would all be the same size the glyphs would just be bigger or smaller

Comment

Ok, here's the problem...the writers weren't consistent.

The way it is supposed to work is 38 symbols for addresses and 1 unique symbol for each individual stargate. Now, when they filmed alien worlds they hauled around the same stargate to each location and did not remake it with a new symbol. That would have been costly. Same goes for the DHD. It should have 39 symbols because each button press coincides with a chevron activation. In Antarctica, Carter clearly dials all 7, hesitates, then presses the activation button. The button makes the connection, but it is not the POO.

So, for your stargate include the basic 38 then make an original symbol for your original stargate. In theory, every stargate in existence should have it's own callsign(POO).
                          Stargate: ROTA wiki

Comment

But the DHD only has 38 symbols, so if the DHD has the POO glyph on it, then you can't dial some of the gates, because a glyph would be missing. In fact, statistically, it would be impossible to go to 16% of gates on the network!!! That is, with 16% probability, an SG team would go off world, and despite there being a working DHD there they would not be able to go back to Earth.

I'm pretty sure that we should assume that DHD's activation button automatically dials correct glyph for the 7th chevron. Anything else would be silly, and any episodes showing that should be considered production errors.

I agree, though, that the lack of unique POO glyph for some worlds is probably an error as well.

Looks familiar?

Comment

Working...
                            X