Are we more advanced than the Goa'uld?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are we more advanced than the Goa'uld?

I've been watching the early seasons of SG-1, and it got me thinking. Are we more technologically advanced then them. Where as the Goa'uld steal their technology; the Stargate, ring transport; we've (for the most part) created out own technology. When I say, for the most part, I mean, sure we've backward engineered the 302s and 304s, but we've got things the Goa'uld have never thought of:
    • artifical lighting
    • watches
    • An iris on the Gate
    • armor that can stop bullets
    • Advanced construction techniques (steel instead of rock)

There are others, just can't think of them at the moment.
    Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!

That's like saying that medievil people are more advanced because they had knights with full body armor. Wonderful, but it doesn't stop the bullets, just like the bullet proof vest won't stop a blast from a Zat. And it has been demonstrated that the iris is useless against someone who has the right technology (particle beam). As for construction from rock, note that it's only used in places where it's cheaper to simply tell the slaves to do it. Goa'uld ships are constructed from rather advanced materials, and while technology for these might be stolen, they still have the necessary knowledge to extract, refine, and construct from these materials using their own forces.

Things like watches or lighting could either be attributed to physiology of Goa'uld (maybe they have good internal clocks) or more realistically, oversights by the show's prop crew.
    MWG Gate Network Simulation

Looks familiar?

Comment

Originally posted by K^2 View Post
      That's like saying that medievil people are more advanced because they had knights with full body armor. Wonderful, but it doesn't stop the bullets, just like the bullet proof vest won't stop a blast from a Zat. And it has been demonstrated that the iris is useless against someone who has the right technology (particle beam). As for construction from rock, note that it's only used in places where it's cheaper to simply tell the slaves to do it. Goa'uld ships are constructed from rather advanced materials, and while technology for these might be stolen, they still have the necessary knowledge to extract, refine, and construct from these materials using their own forces.

Things like watches or lighting could either be attributed to physiology of Goa'uld (maybe they have good internal clocks) or more realistically, oversights by the show's prop crew.
      You have a point there, maybe I should have rephrased that a bit better. But, it is true that the Goa'uld stole their technology from other races; Ancients, Asgard, etc.
      Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!

Comment

yes and in SOME ways we are more advanced (not counting unending). We do indeed have stuff they have never thought about. And we have far more destructive weapons one one planet then they have in all of their arsenals (seeing ha'taks dont do much damage on the ground (from orbit, they can blow up building, we can blow up stars)

www.darkarmada.nl
        www.runescape.com

Ode aan Nederlandsch-Indië

Comment

No insult to anyone, but i believe it's wrong to think that the Goa'uld we've met in our galaxy are the only goa'uld in existence. I'm thinking they're stronger and more powerful Goa'uld out there, who may gods in the sense that french film Immortal, a dreadful film but it made the egyptian gods, god like (more akin to ascended beings)

Comment

Originally posted by locutes View Post
            yes and in SOME ways we are more advanced (not counting unending). We do indeed have stuff they have never thought about. And we have far more destructive weapons one one planet then they have in all of their arsenals (seeing ha'taks dont do much damage on the ground (from orbit, they can blow up building, we can blow up stars)
            The Goa'uld are known to have the technology to obliterate entire civilizations. They've shown planets attacked by the Goa'uld. There's also the device implanted in Cassandra, which would have destroyed human civilization on earth if it had been allowed to detonate near the gate. The reason why we don't see Ha'taks destroy entire cities is because SG-1 always around when that happens and they have plot shield.

Comment

We're just more....creative.
              If you wish to see more of my rants, diatribes, and general comments, check out my Twitter account SirRyanR!
              Check out Pharaoh Hamenthotep's wicked 3D renders here!
              If you can prove me wrong, go for it. I enjoy being proven wrong.

sigpic
              Worship the Zefron. Always the Zefron.

Comment

That's how I see it as well. Baring major catastrophies, Humans can advance faster. However, if Goa'uld are wiped out until just one remains, they still have all their knowledge. With Humans, if the cities are bombarded and sufficient fraction of population is killed, we'd have to start from square one.
                MWG Gate Network Simulation

Looks familiar?

Comment

Really, we are just more advanced in petty things. Like watches and armor and lighting. But while we had shuttles, they had motherships and rings transporters. Biiiig difference.

Comment

in terms of what we've acquired, i'd say yes...just 1 304 would probably be able to take out atleast 3-4 motherships...

in terms of what we've created on our own, not exactly...sure, we may have some things the Goa'uld never even thought of...but thats not to say the Goa'uld couldn't build those things and build them better then we can...

Comment

If we let loose 1 304 with APBWs, they could take down, maybe about, 20-25 ha'tak?
                      The APBWs are just a little bit weaker then an ori beam.
                      And yes, I think to that we're more advanced.(Not including, 304s, 302s.)
                      sigpic

My fan-fic, swedish outpost

Comment

Well to be honest i prefer a PLasma TV than one of their crappy ball things.

See here's the thing, technology on Earth is accomodated to serve Humam everyday needs and to make life easier for humans, while ha'tak motherships are for conquering and not for comfort. We consider it more personally advanced because it makes oyur life better, but in a war if we didnt have asgard tech we would be screwed.

Sig by Draygon.

Comment

Anubis did steal our Iris idea and created the Kull armour which is both projectile and energy weapon resistant. As for lighting, they don't have skylights and open flames on their ships so they must have artificial lighting. The majority of Goa'uld structures such as the pyramid landing pads consist of a stone exterior over a metallic mechanical frame. I also can't see why a 'God' would need a watch.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SG1Commander View Post
                            I've been watching the early seasons of SG-1, and it got me thinking. Are we more technologically advanced then them. Where as the Goa'uld steal their technology; the Stargate, ring transport; we've (for the most part) created out own technology. When I say, for the most part, I mean, sure we've backward engineered the 302s and 304s, but we've got things the Goa'uld have never thought of:
                            • artifical lighting
                            • watches
                            • An iris on the Gate
                            • armor that can stop bullets
                            • Advanced construction techniques (steel instead of rock)

There are others, just can't think of them at the moment.
                            artificial lighting - you're kidding right?
                            watches - you're kidding right?
                            iris - good point
                            ballistic armor - they could do this as soon as they want to
                            advanced construction - what's wrong with rock? If a concrete could be developed that can withstand a little strain it would revolutionize construction techniques

Comment

Apophis said that he had something similar to an iris protecting his gate when Sokar attacked him. Why would Sokar have even developed the particle beam weapon if none of the Goa'uld gates had irises?

Comment

Working...
                              X