Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Do You Think Of the very Idea of Remakes?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What Do You Think Of the very Idea of Remakes?

With some exceptions I think its a classic example of Hollywood being a little too lazy and risk averse. What I find maddening is that fact that that there so many great books scif and otherwise that would make great films, yet Hollywood chooses to limit themselves to tried true and just plain boring, most of the remakes that have come down the pipe have been vastly inferior to the originals.And aren't you sick of so many Movies based off of tv shows, especially if they show no respect for the original source material? Tell me something aren't you sick of all the remakes and the schlock that been coming out of the studios ?
    Last edited by Garovorkin; 07 June 2009, 04:54 AM.

It does get tiresome. Sometimes the remake is better than the original but not very often. They should leave classics well enough alone and actually come up with ideas of their own instead of rehashing old movies. Also if they are gonna make movies out of TV shows or video games at least get the concepts behind them right and stop changing it
    sigpic

Comment

It seems to depend entirely on the remake.

Great remakes:
      Battlestar Galactica
      Ben-Hur
      Cleopatra
      Dawn of the Dead
      The Fly
      Friday the 13th
      The Italian Job
      Ocean's Eleven
      Red Dragon
      Scarface

Abomination remakes:
      Bionic Woman
      Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
      The Day the Earth Stood Still
      Get Carter
      Gone in 60 Seconds
      How the Grinch Stole Christmas
      I Am Legend
      Planet of the Apes (and Tim Burton can frakkin' rot for this)
      Rollerball (didn't think it was possible to remake something actually worse than the original)
      The Stepford Wives
      "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by Linda06 View Post
        It does get tiresome. Sometimes the remake is better than the original but not very often. They should leave classics well enough alone and actually come up with ideas of their own instead of rehashing old movies. Also if they are gonna make movies out of TV shows or video games at least get the concepts behind them right and stop changing it
        Day the Earth Stood still, loved the original which sad to say is still a better film then the remake.

War of the Worlds was a great film , the remake was pathetic for alot of reasons.

Comment

Originally posted by Garovorkin View Post
          Day the Earth Stood still, loved the original which sad to say is still a better film then the remake.

War of the Worlds was a great film , the remake was pathetic for alot of reasons.
          I loved the old War of the worlds movie Didn't watch the remake, namely because Tom Cruise was in it, but didn't they change it?
          sigpic

Comment

I loved the old War of the worlds movie Didn't watch the remake, namely because Tom Cruise was in it, but didn't they change it?
            Oh yes they changed it alright, problem number one being the fact that the Aliens were no longer from Mars, then there was the fact that these Alien battle machines were buried beneath every major city and no one had ever found them? The aliens had supposedly been planning this invasion for millions of years which makes no sense whatsoever.

Comment

Oh yes they changed it alright, problem number one being the fact that the Aliens were no longer from Mars, then there was the fact that these Alien battle machines were buried beneath every major city and no one had ever found them? The aliens had supposedly been planning this invasion for millions of years which makes no sense whatsoever.
              You're kidding....I am so glad I didn't watch the remake then I hate when they change the story like that. Did they still die by contracting a human virus, was it the cold or something like that? Don't tell me they changed that too
              sigpic

Comment

You're kidding....I am so glad I didn't watch the remake then I hate when they change the story like that. Did they still die by contracting a human virus, was it the cold or something like that? Don't tell me they changed that too
                That ,they left alone. oh and the aliens looked alot like the aliens on the movie independence day only not as good.

But as bad as that is, nothing touchs the scif channels version of War of the Worlds,it is beyond abysmal ,and they did an even worse sequel to that one, War of that Worlds 2.
                Last edited by Garovorkin; 07 June 2009, 04:55 AM.

Comment

That ,they left alone. oh and the aliens looked alot like the aliens on the movie independence day only not as good.

But as bad as that is nothing touche the scif channels version of War of the Worlds,it is beyond abysmal ,and they did an even worse sequel to that one, War of that Worlds 2.
                  Thank goodness they left something in the remake. Oh no, I am not watching any WotWs other than the original. I don't want it ruined
                  sigpic

Comment

Whats scary is that they are talking about a remake of such recent films as Robo Cop, Why?

Comment

Whats scary is that they are talking about a remake of such recent films as Robo Cop, Why?
                      I agree with that one for sure. The original Robocop still holds up very well even by today's standards IMO.

As for re-makes in general, I am a little torn. I have absolutely loved some that I have seen, and loathed others. I don't mind them re-making things occasionally, but don't go crazy.
                      sigpic
                      MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                      "...phu...ah..."
                      "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                      Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by the fifth man View Post
                        I agree with that one for sure. The original Robocop still holds up very well even by today's standards IMO.

As for re-makes in general, I am a little torn. I have absolutely loved some that I have seen, and loathed others. I don't mind them re-making things occasionally, but don't go crazy.

That's the problem though, Hollywood is going crazy on the whole remake thing. They are doing it because doing a remake of something they own means they lay out less money.
                        Last edited by Garovorkin; 07 June 2009, 05:12 AM.

Comment

Indeed.

Some remakes are great and others are abysmal. I pretty much agree with DigiFluid's list, excepting The Stepford Wives, which I enjoyed. Although probably that was because I haven't seen the original.

Peter Jackson's King Kong is also pretty good and surprisingly true to the original, they'd recreated some scenes almost frame by frame and updated the story to reflect today's more enlightened attitudes to women just enough to make it watchable by today's audiences but not so much as to make it completely unbelievable as happening in the 1930s.
                          JJ Abrams' Star Trek is also a winner in my book, a very entertaining movie.
                          Loved The Italian Job as well.

The most unnecessary reboot/remake was surely The Incredible Hulk (2008) given that the last version Hulk was released only 5 years earlier!
                          sigpic

Comment

yeah but the 2008 Hulk was faaaaaaaar better than ang lees hulk.i dont care about remakes.they either suck or are awesome jsut like any other movie.

Comment

I'm not really sure that comic book stuff (ie Hulk, Batman) really count as remakes. Each one that comes out seems to just be a new writer's/director's/etc take on a long-established mythology; they're not rehashing previous films in the way that I think this thread intends we take the word 'remake'.
                              "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Working...
                              X