DHD power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DHD power

Are dhd's connected to the gate with some sort of cable? or do they transmit power through the ground?

the space gates use the power nodes and the jumpers and darts connect with the gate to dial out.

An error in this is the episde "Condemned" where they needed the jumper to have power to dial the gate, as there was no dhd on that planet, how was it powered? (granted they cant manually dial out) does that mean to jumpers have a sort of wireless power? correct me if im wrong but isnt that physically impossible?

Usually the DHDs are wired to the gates but obviously that can't be the case with the Jumpers. My guess is that Pegasus gates have some sort of inbuilt power source. Something has to keep the lights on. But since the Jumpers can also control Milky Way gates, it does beg the question as to what would happen if there was no DHD connected. I'd like to see Sheppard approach a gate, dial the Jumpers DHD and have nothing happen. The look on his face would be priceless.
    sigpic

Comment

Nope. You can use various mean to deliver electricty through the air.
      You can use radio, inductive power, and resonance charging.

I am pretty sure the ancients would of mastered them all and went beyound what they are capable of. But wireless power is more than possible. My guest that would probably use a induction power as I think this can be use to charge compactors which the gate use.
      As when you power the stargate that power goes into a buffer or compacitor it should be easily enough to do that wire less. The ancients probably just use cables as a back up . My guest is that the Puddle jumper comes in with a more advance version of inductive charging, except on a far bigger scale than we are capable off. And a built in sensor automatically detect whether the stargate has dhd for a power source.

http://searchmobilecomputing.techtar...307218,00.html
      Here a article about wireless recharging.

These technologies I will betting will become extremely common over the next five years as various universities have made break throughs in increase the efficiency of such technology, plus people do not like cables around the house as soon as these technologies get cheaper I suspect that they will become standard.
      Last edited by knowles2; 05 June 2009, 07:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by knowles2 View Post
        Nope. You can use various mean to deliver electricty through the air.
        You can use radio, inductive power, and resonance charging.

I am pretty sure the ancients would of mastered them all and went beyound what they are capable of. But wireless power is more than possible. My guest that would probably use a
        As when you power the stargate that power goes into a buffer or compacitor it should be easily enough to do that wire less. The ancients probably just use cables as a back up . My guest is that the Puddle jumper comes in with a more advance version of inductive charging, except on a far bigger scale than we are capable off. And a built in sensor automatically detect whether the stargate has dhd for a power source.

http://searchmobilecomputing.techtar...307218,00.html
        Here a article about wireless recharging.

These technologies I will betting will become extremely common over the next five years as various universities have made break throughs in increase the efficiency of such technology, plus people do not like cables around the house as soon as these technologies get cheaper I suspect that they will become standard.
        Would these methods of power transfer require a clear line of sight between the source and target? And also, i'm curious as to what you were going to say at the end of the bolded sentence?
        sigpic

Comment

what powers the DHD's?

Comment

Originally posted by schlemmbot View Post
            what powers the DHD's?
            In the Milky Way DHDs it's a big red crystal in the center of the dome. I'm going to assume it's a big blue crystal in the Pegasus DHDs as i've never seen one with the top disassembled.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TrueLordOfNetu View Post
              Would these methods of power transfer require a clear line of sight between the source and target? And also, i'm curious as to what you were going to say at the end of the bolded sentence?
              I will read my post and put in what comes to me.
              Do not no many of the technologies well enough. I know the radio power work best and most efficent when use in direct line of sight. Inductive technologies work on a electro magnetic field, I am guesting as long as you got the power the field will work as far as you can extend. The resonance one I cannot remember what exactly how it meant to work , it in the article.

what powers the DHD's?
              Cold fusion power. According to the diagrams and designs o'neil made when he had the ancient knowledge in his mind the first and use it to rescue Carter and her team.

Comment

Originally posted by knowles2 View Post
                I will read my post and put in what comes to me.
                Do not no many of the technologies well enough. I know the radio power work best and most efficent when use in direct line of sight. Inductive technologies work on a electro magnetic field, I am guesting as long as you got the power the field will work as far as you can extend. The resonance one I cannot remember what exactly how it meant to work , it in the article.

Cold fusion power. According to the diagrams and designs o'neil made when he had the ancient knowledge in his mind the first and use it to rescue Carter and her team.
                cold fusion? when was this stated?

Comment

Originally posted by escyos View Post
                  cold fusion? when was this stated?
                  I doubt it's stated. It's probably on the diagrams, as he said.

Comment

yes, it is only seen on jack's diagram in "Fifth Race"

Comment

Originally posted by TrueLordOfNetu View Post
                      Would these methods of power transfer require a clear line of sight between the source and target?
                      Inductive power transfer can be screened if you have enough conductive material around, but for the most part, it will go through stuff.

So no, the line of sight is not necessary.

A microwave beam, which IMO would make more sense for most applications, would depend on line of sight. But on the other hand it will not suffer from inverse R-squared law, so you wouldn't be losing as much power.
                      MWG Gate Network Simulation

Looks familiar?

Comment

Originally posted by escyos View Post
                        Are dhd's connected to the gate with some sort of cable? or do they transmit power through the ground?

the space gates use the power nodes and the jumpers and darts connect with the gate to dial out.

An error in this is the episde "Condemned" where they needed the jumper to have power to dial the gate, as there was no dhd on that planet, how was it powered? (granted they cant manually dial out) does that mean to jumpers have a sort of wireless power? correct me if im wrong but isnt that physically impossible?
                        The DHD's are not connected. As others have stated it is probably somehow wireless power.
                        It has been shown

Touchstone: No wires from DHD in truck to the Gate

Also in S9 Off the Grid
                        Last edited by supersoldier34; 06 June 2009, 08:12 PM. Reason: picutes did not show up..again
                        supersoldier34sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                          yes, it is only seen on jack's diagram in "Fifth Race"
                          where? can you get a screencap? i checked and the writing is incomprehensible.

Comment

Stargatecaps.com

someone found one that was a little better. you CAN read it, but it takes good vision. it says something along the lines of "the DHD has a cold fusion powercore. remove it. (...) remember to remove the clips before turning the power on again, otherwise, well see ya."

Comment

Spoiler:

Comment

Working...
                              X