Gate co-ordinants in space

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gate co-ordinants in space

It is my understanding that a gates symbols would cover a very large area, large enough to cover the area the planet/gate would bein all year round.

I was also thinking that the gate would have to be moving at a slow speed otherwise you could gate onto a ship travelling fairly fast though the system.

Correlative updates would adjust for this, but then they would be updating every day. i am assuming that the dialling gate locks on to a gate in that area.

But what would happen if there were two gates in the area, not on the same planet, maybe one on a planet (with no dhd) and another in space on the opposite side of the system, which would take precedence?

I'm not sure about how the gates cope with their planets solar orbits but it has been shown a couple of times that gates don't work on ships while they're moving (SG-1 Season 1 Finale and SGA Adrift I believe). At least when they're moving at speed anyway.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TrueLordOfNetu View Post
      I'm not sure about how the gates cope with their planets solar orbits but it has been shown a couple of times that gates don't work on ships while they're moving (SG-1 Season 1 Finale and SGA Adrift I believe). At least when they're moving at speed anyway.
      well, in Serpents Grasp they were in hyperspace so they were moving very fast, in adrift Mckay said they were moving too fast (despite not knowing where they were)

im pretty sure the gate would still work if you were travelling slow enough

Comment

I would guess that if the two gates are in different places within the system, then the motion will play a role in which gate gets precedence, resulting in wormhole jumping to a different gate depending on time, and perhaps even depending on where it originates from.
        MWG Gate Network Simulation

Looks familiar?

Comment

Originally posted by escyos View Post
          It is my understanding that a gates symbols would cover a very large area, large enough to cover the area the planet/gate would bein all year round.

I was also thinking that the gate would have to be moving at a slow speed otherwise you could gate onto a ship travelling fairly fast though the system.

Correlative updates would adjust for this, but then they would be updating every day. i am assuming that the dialling gate locks on to a gate in that area.

But what would happen if there were two gates in the area, not on the same planet, maybe one on a planet (with no dhd) and another in space on the opposite side of the system, which would take precedence?
          The gate will work anywhere in the solar system. Two gates that are connected could very well have a relative velocity of over a 25psl.

Comment

Could you clarify that .25c figure? I'm not aware of any star within habitable zone that is moving anywhere near that fast.

Looks familiar?

Comment

Every Galaxy is moving in relation to one another. Every solar system in every galaxy has motion within the galaxy. Every planet with a solar system is travelling around a sun(s). If there are 2 planets in solar systems at the opposite end of a galaxy (or even different galaxies) then the suns that each planet rotates around have a significant relative to each other and the planets orbits (around their suns) could produce instances where the planets are travelling at incredible speeds (relative speed).

Our own planet has a speed of nearly 20 miles/second (relative to sun). The sun is going 100+ miles/second. The other planet may have similar orbital speeds and the suns are moving god only knows how fast in relation to one another (maybe relative speeds of 300 miles/sec. If we're talking different galaxies we could easily see speeds between gates of thousands of miles per second. The 0.25psl was a little nuts and I should have thought that out a little more before I typed it down.

Comment

Well yeah, but thousand miles per second is still less than 1psl. For .25c, you'd have to go out of the Local Group. In fact, you'd probably have to venture far out of the Local Supercluster. I'm not sure we can speak of travel to such distances with any certainty. So the upper cap on relative speeds could be relatively modest. Hopefully, SG: Universe will clear some of that up.

Looks familiar?

Comment

in "Maternal Instinct" bra'tac mentions the planets of the Loc'na'ko, and there are several gate addresses, so how would different symbols work there?

Comment

Well, all the addresses could point to the same general region. And we know that when two gates are in the same solar system, one of them "randomly" becomes the gate to which connections go. Perhaps, choice of which gate depends on the address somehow. That would allow each gate in the system to effectively have its own address.

Looks familiar?

Comment

in "Maternal Instinct" bra'tac mentions the planets of the Loc'na'ko, and there are several gate addresses, so how would different symbols work there?
                      We know that a gate searches for another gate within a region. The stellar drift will eventually take a gate out of that region and there won't be a connection. The DHD changes that, along with the correlative update. So, what we have is a phone number for a particular location. That location moves periodically as the exact position changes due to orbit and other things.

So, for those planets in the same system, the DHDs may talk to each other and give more precise search parameters for those gates(a smaller search area). But that aside, I don't think the 'area search' is for normal operations. It's a backup in case a gate loses their DHD. I think that when a normal connection is made, one DHD seeks out another DHD and connects to that DHD's gate. So the planets in the same system aren't a problem as long as they have DHD's connected.

We know from solitudes that DHD's are unique because they each have a unique symbol for their point of origin.(I think the writers ignored this later and why the DHD's had 38 symbols instead of 39, so they could reuse them for multiple episodes)

So, when one dials a number, the DHD/gate combo searches for the last known location of that number and connects to the DHD/gate combo there. This distinguishes from nearby gates and assures the connection goes to the correct one.

Now then, how close can two gates get and still function? Remember, the earth gate is redneck because it doesn't have a DHD. So some of the inabilities may be related to that.

If they have the same address, then only one will work at a time. That's a given. But if two gates were assigned different addresses and were placed on the same planet...not so sure that wouldn't work. Especially with moons around planets. A different address for each should work so long as they have DHDs hooked up to differentiate the two when their stargates both hit on dial-ins to their approximate location.
                      Stargate: ROTA wiki

Comment

6 glyphs can't specify location precisely enough to pinpoint a planet within a system. It's not even precise enough to pinpoint every star in the galaxy. There are only 2 billion addresses available. There are significantly more stars (about 200 billions, or an average of 100 stars per address). The amount of space each address will cover will be in hundreds of light years across.

There is absolutely no way to pinpoint a specific planet by address alone.

Looks familiar?

Comment

In respone the the OP, if one has a DHD and one does not, the one with the DHD takes precedence. If not, I would assume the gate on the planet's surface would take precedence, unless the gate in space is a Pegasus gate and the surface a mw gate.
                          "Enemies of the Ori show no mercy in their attempts to draw believers away from the path."
                          "Those who abandon the path are evil."
                          "Hallowed are the Ori!"

"Individuals who point the finger and assign blame based on nothing more than their gut instinct are ignorant at best, cretins at worst." -- Joseph Mallozzi

Comment

From what Ive gathered from SG1 and Atlantis, if one was a pegasus gate then that would aside from that I assume it would go to gate which was newer, we know that some gates in the milky way are older then others, such as the one found under the ice at the south pole, that was older then others.

Basically Ive always thought that its the newer gate that takes precedent unless they have a program or something built into the gate to make it do otherwise... or if the newer gate is at the bottom of the ocean or sealed to prevent its use...
                            I dunno what to put in here now..

Comment

Originally posted by Puddle-Jumper View Post
                              From what Ive gathered from SG1 and Atlantis, if one was a pegasus gate then that would aside from that I assume it would go to gate which was newer, we know that some gates in the milky way are older then others, such as the one found under the ice at the south pole, that was older then others.

Basically Ive always thought that its the newer gate that takes precedent unless they have a program or something built into the gate to make it do otherwise... or if the newer gate is at the bottom of the ocean or sealed to prevent its use...
                              thats true: the midway station needed macros to prevent the PG gate from taking precidence over the MW gate
                              SG-1 members
                              Atlantis Team members

Comment

Working...
                              X