Gate Coordinates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gate Coordinates

I was thinking about writing a program that computes the actual spacial coordinates from gate addresses, locates nearest stars, and maybe even render the sky from that location. I have the code for working with star catalogs and most of the rendering code sitting over from another little project.

I tried to use the Earth address and to come up with anything meaningful, and so far, have been unable to do so.

The address for Earth that I dug up was, Auriga (28), Cetus (26) Centaurus (5) Cancer (36) Scutum (11) and Eridanus (29). Now, trying to use each of these as a point in 3D space is a bit meaningless, as each constellation contains hundreds of thousands of cubic parsecs of space. They may be relatively confined on the celestial sphere, but their radial distribution can be huge.

There are many ways in which a single point can be selected, but two come to mind as most meaningful. A center of mass or geometric center may be used. That, however, will vary greatly with how many stars from within constellation boundaries you wish to select, so it doesn't seem to be likely. Another, is to chose the brightest star in constellation. It would be most meaningful to chose such star by absolute magnitude, but apparent magnitude from specific location is also an option.

I started by brightest apparent magnitude because that would be easier to sort for, and because the pictograms are based on constellations as seen from Earth or somewhere not far, so most likely, the brightest star from there would be the same one.

I converted data for these stars to rectangular coordinate system, using RA=0h, Dec=0° as the X axis, RA=6h, Dec=0°, and Dec=+90° as the Z axis. All distances are taken to be in parsecs.

1.68, 8.80, 9.28
    27.46, 5.29, -9.08
    -0.49, -0.41, -1.14
    -49.21, 72.62, 15.05
    8.02, -51.84, 7.60
    21.68, 9.85, -37.00

Now, the trouble with these is that no pair results in the line that passes anywhere near 0, 0, 0, where Sol would be located. And if the intersection of the lines was supposed to point to the gate location, this simply wouldn't work.

So is there a problem with the numbers? Something I misunderstood about the method? Or did the creators of the show make up addresses without any concern for where they point? Later does seem likely, but why make up the entire idea of locating gates using real existing points as reference if you aren't going to at least try to actually apply these rules?

On the side note, the very idea of using lines of intersection seems a bit absurd. If two lines intersect in space, they already pinpoint a location. And if they don't, throwing in the 3rd line does not help.

What would have worked better is taking the lines as normal vectors, and constructing an intersection point as intersection of 3 planes given by the 3 star pairs. The plane would pass through one of the stars in the pair and be perpendicular to the line given by the stars. Such 3 planes are guaranteed to intersect in a single point, and you need exactly 6 reference points to make it work. Having 38 fixed points in space for that would allow pinpointing a gate fairly precisely, as long as it is in the vicinity of these points. (I did try comparing numbers to this method, and didn't come up with anything working here either.)

Anybody has any ideas on how to make this work with Earth address? Or should this idea be abandoned all together.
    MWG Gate Network Simulation

Looks familiar?

i think that you could put every scientist on earth trying to figure this out, but since there were no scientific methods applied when they made up the adresses, they won't find anything either.
    sigpic

Spoiler:
    Originally posted by IMDB
    Revealing mistakes: Throughout the series, the IDC is received by the SGC before the wormhole has been established.
    Hehe

Comment

Just seems like it would have been a waste. There is a descent system using a choice a 6 out of number of fixed points in space to pinpoint other locations. You could use this to make up a 6 point address for Earth that would make sense, and would actually point to the vicinity of Earth. To have all this and to simply pick 6 random symbols seems a bit irrational.

Looks familiar?

Comment

well, since TPTB either have no scientific/technical advisor or just a really bad one, a lot of the stuff in the show that could have been scientifically correct isn't.
        sigpic

Spoiler:
        Revealing mistakes: Throughout the series, the IDC is received by the SGC before the wormhole has been established.
        Hehe

Comment

You know, sometimes they say something that really makes sense. Like the gates only transfering energy, and requiring a separate system for disintegration, buffering, transfer, buffering, and reintegration. And then they go and say something really stupid, like Re'tu being invisible because their quantum phases don't match with ours. Makes me want to find a brick wall to smash my head into. So I have hypothesized that they do have a half-descent science advisor, but he goes on holidays very frequently and never picks up the phone.

Coordinates aren't just a basis for a single episode's plot, where most errors seem to originate. It's the basis of the plot for the entire series. They did a good enough job of describing gate physics and stayed true to it for the most part, with consistency that would allow us to make certain predictions of things that can happen in future shows. Gate addresses should have been a part of that process.

I'm thinking I'll go ahead and write a simplified version of the plane intersection routine that will try to generate an address for a given location. There are less than 2 billion combinations to try, and that's really not that much for a modern PC, so I'll just go and brute force it. I want to see how small of a region of space can be selected that way. I have a feeling that it would be within the threshold suggested by the show.

Looks familiar?

Comment

well, maybe you'll get lucky, and they actually put some thought into the coordinates, but most likley is that your computer will come up with some decent coordinates, but that don't really correspond to anything in the show.
            sigpic

Spoiler:
            Hehe

Comment

Yeah, I finished the program. What it came up with for the nearest to Earth address is Bootes, Sculptor, Centaurus, Capricorn, Canis Minor, Virgo (4, 20, 5, 15, 31, 3). This destination is only 0.02 parsecs away from Sol, which is a lot better than I anticipated. It would certainly allow to target a specific star in this region of the Milky Way galaxy.

Reverse search is a bit slow. It takes about 10-20 minutes for the program to try every address possible and locate the nearest one to the given coordinates. Forward search is extremely fast, though. Given a set of gate coordinates, it can spit out Right Ascension, Declination, and distance from Sol instantly. Doubt it will be of any real use, but I can put in a simple text based UI and upload it somewhere for people to play with.

Looks familiar?

Comment

I always assumed that the actually coordinates used in the show were meaningless, however it would prove interesting if you used the location of known probably exosolar planets and derived coordinates for them. The real trick is every planet would have a different set of constellations to look at.

Comment

Why would the constellation set be different? I thought all DHDs had the same symbols on them. The constellations might look a bit different from different points, but they are exactly the same sets of stars in 3D space.

But yeah, I have the list of stellar coordinates. Given a list of stellar systems with known planets, I could compile the list of gate addresses for these quite easily.

Looks familiar?

Comment

that's actually kinda cool =)
                    sigpic

Spoiler:
                    Hehe

Comment

this is cool

www.darkarmada.nl
                      www.runescape.com

Ode aan Nederlandsch-Indië

Comment

Okay thumbing through wikipedia, on the known exosolar planets

Likely candidates. are
                        Gliese 581d

This one probably doesn't have life but is far away from Earth
                        Ogle -2005

Epsilon eridani you know Babylon5

Comment

Originally posted by peragrin View Post
                          Okay thumbing through wikipedia, on the known exosolar planets

Likely candidates. are
                          Gliese 581d

This one probably doesn't have life but is far away from Earth
                          Ogle -2005

Epsilon eridani you know Babylon5
                          Given that there are about 100 times as many stars in the Milky Way as there are 'Gate-addresses, it is quite probably that Gliese 581 d and Epsilon Eridani b share an address with Earth.

Originally posted by K^2 View Post
                          Why would the constellation set be different? I thought all DHDs had the same symbols on them. The constellations might look a bit different from different points, but they are exactly the same sets of stars in 3D space.
                          I actually had a debate with Professor DHD Puddlejumper on this, here. Although I took the same position as you, his position does have merit.

In any case, the glyphs on the 'Gate can't stand for the Constellations that they represent because that would leave at least half the galaxy without 'Gate-addresses.
                          "From East Middle School. Suzumiya Haruhi. I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, sliders, or espers here, come join me."
                          - The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya; Best Character Introduction Ever.

"And can we lose the ten thousand year old dead plants?!"
                          - Stargate: Atlantis (1x03) "Hide and Seek"

"Hammerheads do not load/unload units immediately – they must descend to ground level first. Initial experiments involving jump-jetting infantry into the Hammerhead’s cargo compartment met with unfortunate results."
                          - Command&Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath Hammerhead Unit Spotlight

Comment

Oh, no. The Gate Address system would most certainly not describe the locations in the entire galaxy. It only covers a small neighborhood around Sol. All of the visible stars in all of the constellations used are within, approximately, 200pc of Sol. Any coordinate system using these stars for reference would rapidly lose precision outside of that bubble. You might be able to target things within, maybe, 1,000pc of Sol, but no further. The galactic core is almost 8,000pc from Sol.

If someone comes up with a coordinate system that can cover the entire Milky Way with constellations given, I'd be willing to listen. Until then, I'm going to have to insist that only a small bubble of stars around Sol is covered. There might be other gate networks in this galaxy that would allow to travel further, but they'd have to use an entirely different glyph set, and only a small number of gates would possess addresses in both networks. Kind of like the Pegasus Gate gate being used to jump networks.

This does have some positive aspects. Our region of the galaxy is covered fairly densely with gate addresses. Epsilon Eridani will indeed have a different address from Sol. I can compute a small catalog of addresses and use it in the simulation I'm writing.

Looks familiar?

Comment

Oh, no. The Gate Address system would most certainly not describe the locations in the entire galaxy.
                              Oh, it most certainly does: the very fact that the Eighth Chevron is used for intergalactic instead of intragalactic travel proves this.

There might be other gate networks in this galaxy that would allow to travel further, but they'd have to use an entirely different glyph set, and only a small number of gates would possess addresses in both networks. Kind of like the Pegasus Gate gate being used to jump networks.
                              "The Return, Part 1" (3x10)
                              McKAY: Thirty-four Gates from both the Milky Way and Pegasus Gate systems have been strategically placed in the massive void between our two galaxies.
                              This would imply one system per galaxy.

If someone comes up with a coordinate system that can cover the entire Milky Way with constellations given, I'd be willing to listen.
                              Possibility: use the current system that you're using, but use the galactic core instead of the Earth as the origin, and scale up appropriately.
                              "From East Middle School. Suzumiya Haruhi. I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, sliders, or espers here, come join me."
                              - The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya; Best Character Introduction Ever.

"And can we lose the ten thousand year old dead plants?!"
                              - Stargate: Atlantis (1x03) "Hide and Seek"

"Hammerheads do not load/unload units immediately – they must descend to ground level first. Initial experiments involving jump-jetting infantry into the Hammerhead’s cargo compartment met with unfortunate results."
                              - Command&Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath Hammerhead Unit Spotlight

Comment

Working...
                              X