Using the DV subspace tap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using the DV subspace tap

I searched for subspace tap in science and tech just to make sure that no one complained .

Roght I think I may have a way that the Daedalus Variations subspace tap could be used on Atlantis. It's simple but the the more I think about it the more it's screaming this schould work. So The problem is that the tap needs somewhere that the power constantly needs to go and Atlantis has a nice big shield and running that constantly surely can't do no harm.

Continuing Stargate Virtual Fleet Link Below

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=63923

It was never outright stated that the ST would overload once its capacitor was full.
    The fact that even when Rodney said the AR-drive would burn out, a time which would be perfect to mention that an overload could happen, it doesn't get a mention, that goes for every other opportunity there is to say something, so I would think that the tech is pretty safe from that happening.
    It may be that there was even an off switch or valve when the device was made, although it isn't confirmed I think it's implied here:
    http://www.gateworld.net/atlantis/s5...ipts/504.shtml
    McKAY: Think of it like a tap pouring water into a bucket. When the bucket is full, the drive engages -- except this particular tap has no valve.

SHEPPARD: It seems like a pretty serious design flaw, don't you think?

McKAY: Exactly. Which leads me to believe they were tampering with it in a vain attempt to generate more power.
    I think the part highlighted in bold writing kinda implies that the stop valve was disabled so that more energy could be tapped, but that's just my interpretation of what's said.

Anyway, I think STs would more than likely work great as a permanent power source not only for Atlantis, but for all of Earth's ships, fully powering a lot of the tech we have in our possession requires a lot of energy.
    An ST's not quite as powerful as a ZPM IMO, but it doesn't need to be, if we needed more energy we could just make bigger taps, or for something the size of Atlantis install many more of them, add extra capacitors for energy storage, maybe even design our tech to make use of the excess power, with bigger shields and better raw power weapons geared towards taking out things like the ZPM powered Hive.

If this were actually used on the show as a permanent fixture some may say it could give the characters too much power, although against enemies like the Wraith they have huge numbers on their side and we can only guarantee kills one on one Vs a Hive, I'd say the balls still very much in their court.
    Bring on the STs.
    Last edited by Rise Of The Phoenix; 19 May 2009, 09:53 AM.

Comment

Thing is the shield would need to be expanded as the tap would keep building up power which would need to go somewere and from what we've been told Atlantis's shields can only go a sertain distance and then you have nowere to pump the power. Also the bigger the sheild the easier it would be to calculate a jump inside it which would be a disaster for Atlantis.
      if it wasnt for Carters new plot shield we would be dead

Comment

Originally posted by dboy-2007 View Post
        So The problem is that the tap needs somewhere that the power constantly needs to go...
        Actually, we have no way of knowing why they have never tried to duplicate the technology.

I had a pet speculation a while back that the subspace tap had a problem similar to the Miller Spacetime Bridge ZPE Tap, namely that running it too long in a single reality destroys that reality.

Do I have any evidence for this beyond some coincidental word choices? No. Nevertheless, we must consider the possibility that there are valid reasons that the Atlantis team did not try to duplicate the technology.
        "From East Middle School. Suzumiya Haruhi. I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, sliders, or espers here, come join me."
        - The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya; Best Character Introduction Ever.

"And can we lose the ten thousand year old dead plants?!"
        - Stargate: Atlantis (1x03) "Hide and Seek"

"Hammerheads do not load/unload units immediately – they must descend to ground level first. Initial experiments involving jump-jetting infantry into the Hammerhead’s cargo compartment met with unfortunate results."
        - Command&Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath Hammerhead Unit Spotlight

Comment

Originally posted by Rise Of The Phoenix View Post
          It was never outright stated that the ST would overload once its capacitor was full.
          The fact that even when Rodney said the AR-drive would burn out, a time which would be perfect to mention that an overload could happen, it doesn't get a mention, that goes for every other opportunity there is to say something, so I would think that the tech is pretty safe from that happening.
          It may be that there was even an off switch or valve when the device was made, although it isn't confirmed I think it's implied here:
          http://www.gateworld.net/atlantis/s5...ipts/504.shtml

I think the part highlighted in bold writing kinda implies that the stop valve was disabled so that more energy could be tapped, but that's just my interpretation of what's said.

Anyway, I think STs would more than likely work great as a permanent power source not only for Atlantis, but for all of Earth's ships, fully powering a lot of the tech we have in our possession requires a lot of energy.
          An ST's not quite as powerful as a ZPM IMO, but it doesn't need to be, if we needed more energy we could just make bigger taps, or for something the size of Atlantis install many more of them, add extra capacitors for energy storage, maybe even design our tech to make use of the excess power, with bigger shields and better raw power weapons geared towards taking out things like the ZPM powered Hive.

If this were actually used on the show as a permanent fixture some may say it could give the characters too much power, although against enemies like the Wraith they have huge numbers on their side and we can only guarantee kills one on one Vs a Hive, I'd say the balls still very much in their court.
          Bring on the STs.
          That excess energy could be used for baseline power production by using the bursts as an energy source for a eutectic salt power plant (need to find something that can operate at a really high temperature. When you think about the new metals and alloys we've aquired, who's to say we can't use an energy burst to vaporize 100 tons of iron and then condense it at our leisure for a thermal energy source? Maybe use power surges with matter transformer tech to cough out ships?

Comment

run the world on its power. if there's not enough powerventing, use them to run fusion reactors. if there's still not enough power, build massdrivers to cheapen spacetravel.

Comment

But for-crying-out-loude!
              A fusion reactor would be the size of Europe!
              And I think that they actuly should have the ST on the show, but that would give them to much power....
              sigpic

My fan-fic, swedish outpost

Comment

what is that for stupid nonsense? a fusion reactor isnt the size of europe

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                  what is that for stupid nonsense? a fusion reactor isnt the size of europe
                  How can we be sure? The only working fusion reactor we know of is the sun and it only works because gravity is able to compress the crap out of all that hydrogen.

Comment

the fact that the ITER is much smaller ?

Comment

from what i understand, the only current issue with fusion is how to contain the massive amounts heat generated in the process. that's why they're working on cold fusion and stuff.
                      sigpic

Spoiler:
                      Originally posted by IMDB
                      Revealing mistakes: Throughout the series, the IDC is received by the SGC before the wormhole has been established.
                      Hehe

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                        the fact that the ITER is much smaller ?
                        Does that generate a gigawatt or so of net energy? In that case you're comparing apples and oranges. I personally think a workable fussion reactor is real beyond our capabilities for the next 50 years or so.

Comment

Originally posted by tjoflojt View Post
                          from what i understand, the only current issue with fusion is how to contain the massive amounts heat generated in the process. that's why they're working on cold fusion and stuff.
                          You've got it exactly backwards. The current issue with fusion is not the amount of heat generated by the process, but rather the fact that fusion takes place only at extremely high temperatures. Assuming it is even real, cold fusion would generate at least as much waste heat as regular fusion, but can take place at far lower temperatures, making it far more practical.

Originally posted by morrismike View Post
                          Does that generate a gigawatt or so of net energy? In that case you're comparing apples and oranges.
                          Not really. The ITER is proof that it is possible to build a working thermonuclear power plant. After all, did people dismiss the Wright brothers because their plane couldn't fly across the country?
                          "From East Middle School. Suzumiya Haruhi. I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, sliders, or espers here, come join me."
                          - The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya; Best Character Introduction Ever.

"And can we lose the ten thousand year old dead plants?!"
                          - Stargate: Atlantis (1x03) "Hide and Seek"

"Hammerheads do not load/unload units immediately – they must descend to ground level first. Initial experiments involving jump-jetting infantry into the Hammerhead’s cargo compartment met with unfortunate results."
                          - Command&Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath Hammerhead Unit Spotlight

Comment

Originally posted by Quadhelix View Post
                            You've got it exactly backwards. The current issue with fusion is not the amount of heat generated by the process, but rather the fact that fusion takes place only at extremely high temperatures. Assuming it is even real, cold fusion would generate at least as much waste heat as regular fusion, but can take place at far lower temperatures, making it far more practical.

Not really. The ITER is proof that it is possible to build a working thermonuclear power plant. After all, did people dismiss the Wright brothers because their plane couldn't fly across the country?
                            Does it make at least a gigawatt of net energy? Does it make any net energy (i.e. ability to sustain itself without outside energy input). When they make a fusion reactor that is truly self sustaining and can continuously operate for months at a time, we can talk more on the subject. Unless life expectencies are extended by a great deal over the next few years our grandchildren will have to do the discussion.

On the topic of the wright brothers, if their plane failed to gain any space between the wheels and ground then they would have been mocked.

Comment

currently the iter consumes more energy. however, once they can make sustainable fusion, upscaling would increase net powergeneration.

cold fusion is better known as chemically catalyzed fusion. its essentially a power enhancer: put a watt through and you get ten watts out of it. the additional 9 watts generated by cold fusion.

ITER's fusion so to speak works at 15 million degrees. however at 15m degrees it doesnt really work well, the maximum fusion effectivity lies at 150 million degrees.

and ironically, yes, current expectation puts commercial fusion power at 2050

Comment

Working...
                              X